Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Desparate: oil-free SPF 30 sunscreen + summer skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I need new sunscreen. I am 39, East Indian, have combination skin and an active T-zone. I live in NYC so summer means heat and humidity--and I'm desparate to protect my skin without having to deal with breakouts, a super shiny face, etc. Apologies for this post's length in advance Wink

For running/outdoor stuff I use a waterproof sunscreen that I'm not in love with but sort of works. All other times I use a Nutrogena lightly tinted moisturizer w/SPF 30. (I know, I know, *lightly tinted* might have you shaking your heads but the tint is really light and sort of adds a glow to my complexion, not a real color, per se.)

Now that summer is here, I really need to switch to a product that has no mosturizer at all.

(Not sure if I should mention that I do OCM morning and night. Evenings I apply geranium facial oil by Benedetta afterwards and if I feel the need, some Astara antioxidant infusion. I also alternate between two eye treatments: Kinerase and Caudalie.)

I would be grateful for your opinons, suggestions and experiences.

Thanks Exclamation
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Neutrogena Age Shield is oil free and doesn't feel greasy on my skin.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Erm ... I meant to write Desperate Rolling Eyes

Thanks, Hendricks, for the Age shield tip. I've been eyeing it at Duane Reade.

I'm adding a bit of an addendum to my original post. I remember reading that certain active elements in sunscreen --like parsol or whatever, are oil based so when a product reads oil-free what the labeling means is no additional oils. Can anyone concur?

Lastly, has anyone used a product called DDF organic sunscreen PSF 30 or their oil-free one? My neighbor just mentined those. Thanks!!!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know about parsol being an oil or not, but I DO know that not only does it make my skin feel greasy (yuk), it irritates it and makes it red. Thus far, the ONLY sunscreen I've found that doesn't make my skin more oily is Clarins UV Plus SPF 40. It's expensive, but it's very concentrated and will last a long time. Plus, it contains only titanium dioxide, so there are no chemical sunscreens in it to irritate or to make your skin slimy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi PRS
This one's been on my wish list for some time, but I haven't got it yet.
Colorescience Face Sunforgettable Brush SPF 30 - All Clear
I don't even have oily skin but with humidity in the top nineties most days it's difficult not to look like a shiny, wet thing.
I read some reviews before so you can have a search. Apparantly you brush it on and then pat it into your skin. The great thing about this powder one is it has a pretty high PPD. I think it was at least 12 or 15.
HTH M
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

Yes, I have used DDF Organic Sunscreen SPF 30. I think it's very good, and doesn't cause my combination skin to look shiny or break out. I wore it in Mexico recently and did not get sunburned so it's effective too.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I recently got a sample of La Roche Posay SPF 45 and so far so good. It didn't make me break out, and it's definately not shiny and greasy. I have an oily T zone too, but very fair skin.

You could try a sample of it?
jn1234
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I have very sensitive skin and I must use oil-free product. I really really understand that sometimes, it's difficult to oil-free products such as sun block, powder etc.

I have used DDF matte finish photo-age protection which is completely oil free for a few years and I love it. I recommended some of my friends to try it but they all said "it's too oil free!"
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Where can I get a sample of the LaRoche Posay sunscreen, does anyone know? Thanks.
queenkatez
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I recommend you try Jason Natural Cosmetics. They make a product called "Chemical Free Sunblock SPF 30". No chemicals, no parabens. Fragrance free.
I've used tons of sunblock products (Neutrogena, La Roche Posay, Shiseido, Ombrelle-Canada, Skinceuticals, etc) in the past and just got sick and tired of all the chemicals. I popped into a Whole Foods store one day in search of an organic, paraben-free sunscreen. I tested a lot of the different products and decided to purchase Jason's. So far, it's done a great job protecting my skin from the sun. It does NOT leave a white residue and has not caused any breakouts. It's about $20 per 6 ounce tube. I highly recommend it.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hey all,

thanks for the tips. I just got a tube of the Nutrogena Age Shield SPF 30 w/heloiplex from the drug store. And, I was considering getting the Jason recommendation (it's like mind melding Wink) but held off. Does it leave a shiny residue? I'm very curious.

I'm going to try to get some samples of DDF and Clarins, if possible. I'll report back when I have.

Thanks again!
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Where can I get a sample of the LaRoche Posay sunscreen, does anyone know? Thanks.

do you live in canada? if so, shopper's drug mart.

i just bought the 60 SPF LaRoche pPsay and i love it!!!
queenkatez
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
The Jason sunblock does not leave a shiny residue. It goes on nicely and smells great.

Katie

prs wrote:
Hey all,

thanks for the tips. I just got a tube of the Nutrogena Age Shield SPF 30 w/heloiplex from the drug store. And, I was considering getting the Jason recommendation (it's like mind melding Wink) but held off. Does it leave a shiny residue? I'm very curious.

I'm going to try to get some samples of DDF and Clarins, if possible. I'll report back when I have.

Thanks again!
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
I like the LRP DermoPediatrics spf 40 SPRAY. It dries to a matte finish and holds up well during sports where I sweat alot. Excellent UVA and UVB protection. I get it from either wasabina or lwsue on ebay.

I have also tried the Neutrogena Age Shield (it was okay) and Shiseido's SPF 55 Lotion. (This one was actually drying to my skin! It is a good ss but the finish is slightly whitish and the UVA protection is not that high.) Cellular Skin Rx sent me a sample bottle of their new Sunaway sunscreen. It had a nice matte finish - soft not dry finish - but I have not tested it for running or waterskiing so not sure of the durability. It is oil-free.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |