Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
If I stop RAM at week 6 because I am unhappy with results, &
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lanabean

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:43 am      Reply with quote
will I break out more? I just don't think the stuff is good for me. I am breaking out, peeling...not to mention even when I go outside with 30 on I feel like my face is getting hot.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Lanabean it is not unusual to breakout more when you start using retinoids. You really need to give them more than 6 weeks to see if they will work for you. If you are experiencing excessive peeling and redness, you can always try using the RAM every other evening, using a moisturizer over the RAM or mixing the RAM with some moisturizer before you apply it. That being said if your skin is having a extreme reaction then you may need to stop using it but it sounds to me like you just need to back off a little. Which sunscreen are you using? If you are using a chemical based sunscreen you might want to switch to a physical one which is usually less irritating. Also, you can always call your dermatologist and ask what they suggest.
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I agree, you really do need to give it more than 6 weeks.. Quite a bit longer in fact.. As for your SS, I'd also go up to at least a 45 and maybe you need to wear a hat...

I use RAM, only for anti aging.. I use it every other night, and on the off nights I use Alpha Hydrox oil free formula, it's 10%...

What strength RAM are you using? It could be it's to strong for you right now too..

TheresaL had some good suggestions with diluting it down with moisturizer and also calling your Dr..
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Lanabean it is not unusual to breakout more when you start using retinoids. You really need to give them more than 6 weeks to see if they will work for you. If you are experiencing excessive peeling and redness, you can always try using the RAM every other evening, using a moisturizer over the RAM or mixing the RAM with some moisturizer before you apply it. That being said if your skin is having a extreme reaction then you may need to stop using it but it sounds to me like you just need to back off a little. Which sunscreen are you using? If you are using a chemical based sunscreen you might want to switch to a physical one which is usually less irritating. Also, you can always call your dermatologist and ask what they suggest.

You can use short contact therapy, it may reduce irritation, please see this article below for more info. beethovengirl at MUA posted it:

http://hmpcommunications.com/SA/displayArticle.cfm?ArticleID=sa_200101f2&type=A

Maybe you could try short contact therapy and/or go back to the doc and get a different type of retinoid? There are others like Tazorac and also there are non-script like Avene Ystheal and Diacneal. I am using Ystheal but went to the doctor and got a script for Tazorac, we have good insurance through work which covers most prescriptions. Much easier to come by than Avene and cheaper considering insurance covers it.

I am going to start using Tazorac (synthetic tretinoin) this weekend (if the pharmacy gets it in today) and will start by using the short contact therapy technique to lessen the chance of extreme irritation I had with 0.01% tretinoin cream.

If Tazorac doesn't work for me I will go to the trouble and cost of getting Ystheal, after a couple of weeks now I'm totally seeing a difference in my skin, and this with buffering it with LPR Toleraine Fluide even.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
Lolli thanks for the link, it was very informative. The article talks about Differin which is what I have been using for 8 years now.

Lanabeam Differin could be an option for you if you cannot tolerate the RAM. I went through a lot of irritation when I first started using the Differin but it eventually settled down.

Lolli could you post an update after you have been using the Tazorac for a while. I have been considering swithching to either RetinA or Tazorac because they might be better from an antiaging standpoint so I would be interested to see if you can tolerate the Taz.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I see short contact therapy with RAM is out due to it's time releaseness. Smile If I were you, I would see the doctor switch to a different type of retinoid, if you want to continue down that path. I'm determined to use a retinoid myself while others just go onto to something else. I do think it's one of the best things I can do for my skin, along with beta hydroxy acid and sunscreen. Good luck, Lanabean, I hope there is something out there for both of us!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:59 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Lolli thanks for the link, it was very informative. The article talks about Differin which is what I have been using for 8 years now.

Lanabeam Differin could be an option for you if you cannot tolerate the RAM. I went through a lot of irritation when I first started using the Differin but it eventually settled down.

Lolli could you post an update after you have been using the Tazorac for a while. I have been considering swithching to either RetinA or Tazorac because they might be better from an antiaging standpoint so I would be interested to see if you can tolerate the Taz.

I sure will, Theresa. I'm pretty sensitive, I can't seem to tolerate AHAs and any type of fragrance in my facial products but I am determined to find a retinoid I can use. I know so much more now than I did a year ago when I tried the tretinoin cream. I'm going to take it very, very slow and listen to my skin carefully.
Lanabean

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
thanks, ladies. i did speak with the derm and she suggests i lay off for a week, then perhaps start up with 3 x a week.

As for sunscreen, I never lay out...but I wear Eucern q10 spf 15 and/or MD Formulations Total Protector 30, neither of which I am crazy about! I am in the midst of looking into Clinique Derma White SCB SPF 40. I also purchased Bare Minerals. In the summer, I do enjoy the beach...another reason why summer may not be so good for me and RAM now.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |