Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favorite MAC products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
So folks, I'm going to splurge on some MAC products soon, so tell me which MAC products you love and the ones to avoid...
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Great post! Dancing

My only disappointment with MAC is the mascara.

For tools, I guess I'd say the foundation brush. The application is flawless and it's super easy to clean with MAC's brush cleaner.

For makeup, I'd say the eye shadows (the shimmery ones have better transference and staying power than the matte, however, IMO).

Happy splurging!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
The Refined golden bronzer is really nice plus it gives a bit of golden shimmer to your skin.
I love the blush brush, lip glosses for their array of colors and their eye shadows
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Their new LiquidLast liner is industrial strength. It lasts all day through oily lids and the gym. It comes in lots of gorgeous shades.

MAC has a great selection of eyeshadow shades that are very wearable. My fav HG daily eyeshadow is Satin Taupe. Again, lasts through oily lids and the gym.

I recently bought their new summer edition BlushCreme in Maidenchant. It's a gorgeous pink cream blush with a little shimmer. Perfect for a summer look.

Avoid MAC's eye pencils. They smudge like crazy. Also, i have never tried their foundation as i wear MMU.

I also recommend the Paints in Bare Canvas. It's a flesh-toned creamy "paint" that works as a great primer. I find that it holds my eyeshadows really well.

I find their lipsticks not moisturizing enough. THey always dry out my lips. They have a great selection of shades though. I guess if you find one you like you can always layer with gloss on top.

Good luck!
Natning
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I like most of their products other than the mascara and eyeliner.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
MAC's eyeshadow selection is huge and I like being able to buy the pans and put them in palettes without the depotting fuss.

I also like their blushes and makeup brushes. In the past I found the lipsticks to be drying but recently tried an Amplified Cream formula and was very impressed with how moisturising it was. Oh, and IMO MAC is the place to start if you want to find a perfect foundation color match. Even if the formulas don't suit, you'll at least have a reference point for other brands.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ooooo ... I love MAC stuff. Like others have said ... their eyeshadows are awesome! A agree that Satin Taupe is a great colour ... it goes really well with Shroom. Infact, Shroom is a really great colour 'cause I think it goes with alot of things. Aquadisiac is a really beautiful turquoise which I like to use as a liner. I recently picked up Relaxing which is a really pretty light rose colour (at least I think so) and Summer Neutral (a nice light olive green). I don't think you can go wrong with any of their colours though.

I do like their eye liners ... they do smudge a bit, but overall I find they stay fairly well. The ones I like are the Powerpoint Eye Pencil ... very soft and creamy to put on.

Blushes ... they have alot of great colours. The ones I'm loving recently are Pinch O' Peach (which really doesn't seem that peachy to me ... more a rose colour) ... this is a powder blush. And then I have Sweet William which is their Blushcreme. It's a pretty pearly pink.

And lipsticks ... oh the lipsticks! Their matte lipsticks can feel drying, but try out the lustre lipstick. I LOVE the feel of these ... kinda glossy, but it still lasts a decent amount of time. My favourite lately is Syrup ... it's a mauvey pink. Really pretty.

I also like their Studio Stick foundation. And their concealers are pretty good too. I just bought to carry in my purse the Studio Touch Up Stick (if you buy this though, pick up the sharpener to go with it ... I thought I had a big enough sharpener at home, but I didn't and then each time I went back to try to buy one, they were out of stock).

And for powder ... check out the Blot Powder ... great at keeping the oilies away.

Well, I could go on and on about MAC. I've never tried their skincare, so I can't comment on that. Oh, one of the things I didn't like was the Hyper Real Foundation ... I'd wanted something glowy but it was way over the top.

Have fun shopping!
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I love their eyeshadows, fluidliners and their brushes.
s70princess
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried a bit of everything from MAC, and I think I'm in the minority in that I've never fallen in love with any of their items. Some were ok, some were bad ... but nothing really worked that well for me. They have the best selection and shades, but I feel the texture and lasting power of some of their products are inferior to a lot of other lines. Here are the products I like:

-fluidline eyeliner
-brushes
-select cover-up (a nice light-weight concealer)
-sheertone powder blush (really nice shades and texture, not the best lasting power though)
-blot powder (great for touch-ups, nothing else really compares if you need something like this)
-pigments (really pretty used on eyes or anywhere)!

Personally, the texture of the eyeshadows didn't work for me ... not as finely milled or soft enough. I feel the same way about the lipsticks, great selection of shades, but a bit too drying ... "lustre" formula is not too bad.

And what I'd recommend staying away from:

-nailpolish (not good quality at all)
-lipgelee (texture too thin and oily for me)
-studio-fix powder (this one is hit and miss, you either love it or hate it)
-creme blush (texture was awful, tacky texture and didn't blend well -- so many better, smoother and longer lasting ones out there!)
-eyeliner pencils (smudges big time)
-mascara (flakes and smudges)
-pressed powder (nice shades, but goes on heavy and wears off easily)
-irridescent pressed powder (chunks of glitter were huge, powder was also very dry)

MAC is fun to shop at though, so Happy Shopping!!
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Definately lip glass!!!
It's sticky but BEAUTIFULLY glossy.

I also use their blot powder.
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I love their eyeshadows. The colors are great, they last really well on my eyes (even without a primer). I had my makeup done by one of the artists and he really taught me a lot- I always felt like I was so bad at applying shadows, but I love it now.

I like the lip glass- at first it seemed so sticky but I find that they stay on my lips so well.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Tan pigment
Subculture lip pencil
Golden bronzer
Sunabasque blush
Freckletone lipstick

so far... Smile
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I really like their pigments, also the lipglosses as well, great variety of colours.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
MAC Paints - gorgeous colours, easy to apply and last a long time on the eye.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Another MAC addict here Very Happy

*Studio Finnish Concealer - great for undereye or blemishes and stays put all day.

*Blushers - I love the sheertone and Sheertone shimmer formulas, very buildabe and some gorgeous colours, I am currently lemming Peachykeen Wink

*Bronzing Powders - I love Refined Golden, has subte shimmers in that give your skin just enough highlighting, the Golden has no shimmer.

*Studio Fix Powder Foundation - As someone earlier mentioned, you either love or hate this, I have oily skin and this is my HG, it covers well, looks natural and lasts all day without any oily outbreaks.

*Eye Paints - Fantastic eye shadow bases or good used on their own, or to highlight the eye area. Lasting power is amazing.

*Pigments - I prefer these to eye shadow, just so easy to apply, blend and so versatile, last all day. I like mixing Rose pigemnt with lipgloss.

*Eyeshadows - Colour selection is really good.

*Fluidlines - I have Sweet Sage and use as eyeliner or Eye shadow, lasts all day.

*Brushes - I love MAC brushes, especially the ones for applying eye make-up

Was not impressed with the liquid concealers, the eyeliners I thought were no different to Rimmel or Prestige Eye Khols.
The Mascara is OK, no different from cheaper brands.
Lipstick is OK, I prefer Clinique

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Eye paints in Bare Canvas is an amazing primer. Your shadow will go on the exact color as in the pot and stay that way ALL day. Shroom is a great shadow and Symmetry is great for contouring-not matter what colors you are using. I have a love affair with the lipglass Lovechild-I can't say enough about it. I have 1 lipstick-Brick o la and I really like it. I don't find it drying at all, but it may be a different formula then what others are talking about (sorry I don't have it handy).

I HATE their mascaras. Maybelline Great Lash is worlds better and that isn't say much. I've recenty converted to YSL mascara, it's really good, but not my HG.
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you ladies! I will let you know what I end up getting! Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
MAC Studio Finish SPF35 Concealer
MAC Studio Fix Powder
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I use their cream shadow in Fawntastic a lot. It's a neutral shadow that I use on my brow bones. I like how it gives me a finished/polished look and a little highlight without having to put on anything else. For my every day natural look I use the shadow, curl my lashes, a little brow gel and I'm done.

5% products discount

Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently started to collect a lot of MAC products. Although I cannot say their products are my HG, I do think they're very good.. here are the ones I'm currently using:

- Hyper Real Foundation: On the back of my hand, its very glittery. I usually don't like this effect because it looks very tacky.. however, mixed with moisturizer or used very minimally.. I like the effect a lot! The texture of my face is very smooth so that may be why the effect comes off well but it makes my face look very glowy and evens out the color without the need of layering a lot of foundation on.

- Select Cover-Up: I only use it for my dark circles. It is okie (I have very dark circles though) but I don't think it is that long-lasting. Good but probably going to look for something else when I'm done or tired of it.

- Fluidline in Blacktrack: I really like it! On Makeupalley you will see there are plenty of rave reviews. However, I do see some flaws. My eyelids get very oily and it does smudge a little.. however, application is very easy and I like the jet black color.

- Powerpoint Eyeliner: This was my old eyeliner. Again, the application was easy, portable, and a nice black. However, I like more precise application so prefer fluidline or power eyeliner.

- Eyeshadow: I really like the colors! I think they come off very well.. granted a little lighter than in the packaging but I'm sure with a good base, it'll be excellent. My favorite one right now is Tempting, a shimmery brown.. good for light natural looks or a base for smokey look.

Things I don't really like:
- Creme Blushes: I never bought it but I try it on everytime I'm in the store.. I'm not sure why. Way too thick.. I prefer NARS by far.
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:15 am      Reply with quote
A few years ago I had my makeup done at the counter, and bought most of the products. Their make-up artists are very good. I would highly recommend getting your make-up done before making purchases just based on recommendations.

I also recommend looking into Bobbie Brown if you're interested in a natural look. She's got great products as well.

Favorite product - the Lipglass and the Lipliners. I have about 7 or 8 different color Lipglass, and I use them on top of lipsticks &/or lip pencils and this creates a huge variety of colors. I like the natural shimmery look on the lips. So sometimes I have a more pinkish tone, sometimes more brownish, sometimes more wine, etc...

For concealer I still use Select Cover-up in the tube. Goes on nice and easy, good coverage, and stays well. But I admit I've recently been using Bobbi Brown's concealer and like that as well. (It mostly depends on my complexion and skin texture that day.)

I loved Studio Tech . Usually cream/powder foundations dry out my cheeks - but this didn't. It has great coverage. The problem was that I didn't use it that often and it dried out.
*I should add that I don't use foundation that often anymore - only for special occasions. I now use tinted moisturizers (not MAC) and concealer (MAC Select cover-Up) on select areas.

I have 3 eye shadows that I liked a lot. They held up well throughout the day. They were pretty basic colors - nothing bold or shimmery. Shroom is a must have!

I got the powder blush in BUFF and like it, but my cheeks are dry and it was too drying for me to wear everyday. Now I wear Bobbie Brown's Cream Blush Stick in Desert Rose for everyday - which I love!! Great color and easy to apply. But the Mac powder blush lasts longer, so I wear that for special occasions.

I have a few of the brushes and brush cleaner - all of which I like a lot.

Have fun shopping!!

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
laine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Eyeliner: Love the Fluidline I have oily lids and this does not budge. Also it isn't a very harsh or severe line.
Eyeshadow:Patina (frost) really opens my eyes.
Blush: Peachtwist, sheertone shimmer
Concealer: Select cover. I don't need foundation when I use this.
Lipglass: Love this current color is Viva Glam..I need/want more colors. I also have the coordinating luster lipstick.
The longwear lipstick..I forget the name.. with the gloss is also great. It really works..I'm a smoker Sad
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Lipglass = so many awesome colors. I love Purrr (soft pink), enchantress (pinky, peach) and C-thru (pale nude) all these colors are sheer and can be worn everyday.

Lustreglass= this is a bit thicker in consistency than Lipglass and more pigmented. Flusterrose and Love Nectar are pretty colors.

Fake Lashes = I think MAC has the best selection and quality of fake lashes. I LOVE #7 it looks quite natural however it makes your eyes pop and your lashes pretty and long. Great for a night out dancing.

Studio Finish concealer = I find this concealer to be the best out of all the concealers that MAC carries. It is thick and can be cakey on some people but if you have lots of blemishes and flaws you want to hide, this is perfect for hiding yoru flaws well.

Cleanser Wipes = Awesome and easy wipes to take off all makeup including waterproof mascara. I always use this when I come home after going clubbing and i'm too drunk and lazy to wash my face so I just take off my makeup with these wipes and go to bed.

Studio fix = foundation/powder that gives good coverage. Recommended to those who have normal-oily skintype. If you have dry skin this product can look cakey or flakey.

Eyeshadow = Shroom is the only color I buy, it is a very nice subtle cream color that you can wear everyday. It is great for highliting your brow area too. This is a color I keep comming back to, I think i'm on my 8th tube now.

Bronzer = I love refined golden, however you should try it on before you purchase because some ppl have the tendancy to turn orangey.
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Lipstain - Briefly Pink
Lipliner- Cream o' spice

I agree that the Syrup lipstick is very gorgeous Smile

I use zoomlash, but i do agree that it is clumpy - After using the zoomlash, i brush out my lashes with a comb mascara to thicken them

Viva Glam IV is absolutely gorgeous on all skin types- i use it alot on my clients!

I absolutely adore MULCH - its a beautiful brown that is also very versatile on all skin types I encounter and a great color for contour- i highly reccommend that you check this color out, as well as all reading!!!

i LOVE mac!! my favorite makeup brand. For perfect pinks, try the playboy line!! You can get some of these products on ebay, however since the line was so popular and no longer sold, the lipsticks arent cheap!! <3 good luck love!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
My fav eyeshadow brush- MAC 314
Fav eyeshadows- Satin Taupe, Shadowy Lady, Sumptuous Olive, Carbon (i'm a smokey eye girl)
Fav eyeliner- Liquidlast (literally industrial strength!)
Fav lipsticks- Brave, Hue, Angel
Fav eyeshadow primer- Paints in Bare Canvas

I also love their false lashes as well.
No luck with their foundations.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |