Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
What's your ultimate concealer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
1) Which covers really well and has a nice non-cakey and light texture?
2) Do you use a separate one for eyes and face?
3) What covers blue circles the best?
4) What about dark brown circles around the eyes?
5) How about melasma (hyperpigments)?

We sort of (well, did Laughing ) hijacked the Amazing powder foundation thread over in the reviews so here's a spot we can discuss our fav and not-so-fav concealers.

I have blue circles and puffy eyes, a melasma mustache and dark spots all over I like to cover/neutralize them so I look more even toned but still relatively natural. Almost impossible but I try! Smile If I don't wear under eye concealer people think I'm ill or haven't slept in a week, they are pretty bad.

I've tried:
- MAC Select (tube) in Pink and Peach, pink for brown spots and melasma mustache, peach for under eyes but it just didn't cover or last.

- Jane Iredale Disappear for face, covers but separated and fades as the day goes on, Circle Delete which covers but is pain to mix and it seems to fade. Her Camoflauge though is a winner for my face, it's opaque and hard to work with but with a bit of practise and quick blending, it will cover anything and it has a nice light texture
while on, not cakey or thick at all.

- Paula's Choice under eye in Neutral, it's an emollient pot concealer that is too emollient for me, just fades away in a few hours time.

- Amazing I may have had the wrong shade but for $50 I don't think the staying power was there. But the main negative was it irritated my eyes so I don't see any point in trying other shades. The creamy texture was really nice though, truly impressive and unique.

- Mary Kay Signature Concealers in Yellow and Beige These cover and last well, don't irritate my eyes and are nice yellowy shades. I like a concealer to neutralize my blue circles but not be too light as the light shades make my eyes look puffier. The Beige neutralizes because it's yellow and matches my skin tone.

- Revlon ColorStay I think I had the wrong shade but what I did have didn't cover very well.

- Loreal True Match Great shades, has absolutely no coverage at all, it totally reminds me of YSL Touche Eclat though, same texture and brightens in the same way.

- Maybelline Age Rewind No coverage at all, nice texture though, can't remember what the shade was like, probably orange though. Laughing

- Yves St Laurent Touche Eclat Does brighten and has a very nice light texture. Also irritated my eyes a bit and I need something a little more heavy duty.

These are the one I've tried in the last year. I mainly stick to ones I know I can get locally or shipped within Canada. I haven't tried Bobby Brown, Cle De Peau, Le Prairie, ones I've so many great things about. I currently use, Jane Iredale Camouflage Amber and Mary Kay Yellow and Beige. I prefer a tube concealer over pots or sticks, they seem to last longer.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Great thread!

These are the ones I've tried in the past year or so:

Amazing Concealer - I have this in Ultra Light. I do like this ... I think the cover is really good, however, I do find that I need to touch it up at work mid day and it does get slightly cakey on me. Overall, right now it's my fav though.

Revlon Colourstay - This is another of my main concealers. I like this for over blemishes because it really does seem to stay put. I had used it under my eyes, but if I had to retouch mid day, I found it was difficult to apply more concealer over top of this one.

MAC Studio Finish - This was my favourite in the past. Pretty decent cover, alittle cakey mid point through the day. It did feel alittle dry though under my eyes.

MAC Studio Stick Concealer - This wasn't a fav. The colour was alittle too light (NW15) for me (but the next option was too dark) ... it doesn't seem to have great coverage and I think it could slide off easily throughout the day.

MAC Studio Touch-Up Stick - This I really like. I use it if I need a touch up throughout the day. I love that it's in a pencil and it's so easy to dot it on blemishes or to dot under eyes to smooth out with my finger. Same colour in this one (NW15) but it seems to match my skin tone better.

Vincent Longo Cream Concealer - I liked the coverage of this one, but it was really creamy and slide off easily throughout the day.

Although I'm liking the Amazing Concealer lately, I am still keeping my options open if something better comes down the road. Very Happy
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Moonstarr! I must break down and try MAC!!

Is the Revlon ColorStay concealer you use the under eye or blemish one? I haven't tried the one for blemishes. Have you tried MAC Moisturecover? It's for the under eye with packaging like ColorStay.

Your rec of MAC's touch up stick reminds me of another I've tried and actually used up, I really liked it. Clinique's blemish stick conclealer, packaged like a retractable lip/eye liner. It's not available online or I would have replaced it by now. It covered well and application could be so precise. It had bha in it but I didn't notice it being better for blemishes than any other concealer.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I recently started to use the concealer by Lycogel, totally love it.
Also, Becca and cle de peau are excellent as well. (give good coverage, not cakey, hths) Very Happy
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
i have large brown (think old bruise) circles around my eyes. all the way from eyebrow hair line to just over the cheekbone. also it goes almost halfway up the bridge of my nose at the inside corner.

these are genetics/allergy shiners.

in high school i was often asked about "what fight were you in?"

i have trouble with concealers because i also have very dry eyes with a tendency towards eczema (sometimes really bad) so almost anything i put on looks worse because it highlights all these skin flakeys that are invisible without pigment.

however, when my skin is "good" i like the quo concealer quad. it has mauve, green, yellow and beige. the mauve "brightens" the area. the yellow neutralizes and the beige covers. i basically have to use a bit of each in very light layers for this to work, but it does help some. not perfect though.

i recently bought benefits "the realness of concealness" pack, it has mini sizes of lemon aid, boing, ooh la lift, high beam and a lip primer.

lemon aid does a good job, but i have to use the boing over it, or else i get "reverse raccoon" eyes.

i haven't really been able to play with it because my eyes have been very dry lately--so it's hard to tell how well stuff works.

also, i find i have to give makeup a rest after i put on concealer, because often i will think i have bad reverse raccoon, but really i just need time to adjust to the appearance.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale Covercare. It's my heavy duty concealer for days when my skin is misbehaving i.e. bad pimples. The texture is thick and lasting power is superb.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
Is the Revlon ColorStay concealer you use the under eye or blemish one? I haven't tried the one for blemishes. Have you tried MAC Moisturecover? It's for the under eye with packaging like ColorStay.

The Revlon concealer I use is just the regular one ... actually the blemish one would probably work better for me since I only use it to cover blemishes. I should try that one when I'm done this one.

I haven't tried Moisturecover yet. I really do like the pencil type concealer, but just this afternoon I was switching over purses and I saw the cap had come off and now there is concealer all over the inside of my purse! (I'd just dumped it in there loose and not in the cosmetics case like I SHOULD have done). Sad I guess maybe I didn't push the cover on it tight enough. Lesson learned for next time. Oh well! Smile
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Jane Iredale Covercare. It's my heavy duty concealer for days when my skin is misbehaving i.e. bad pimples. The texture is thick and lasting power is superb.

This the Camoflauge I mentioned above, it is really great!

I've been meaning to look at Quo, pustekuchen, I'll have to try it time I'm in Shoppers. That reverse raccoon thing is exactly what I try to avoid, the only way for me is to use a concealer over top that matches my skin tone.

Moonstarr, your poor purse!

Gina, I've never heard of Lycogel, off to look that one up! Wish CDP and Becca were more easy to come by or I would order it, for the cost though I want to try it first.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:47 am      Reply with quote
*MAC Studio Finnish Concealer (I hated the Select, it never covered anything and the finnish was awful).

*Physicians Formula Talc Free Mineral Loose Powder - I use a little of this with my concealer brush and it is fantastic at covering spots and blemishes, they literally disapear before my eyes and the lasting power is good too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:22 am      Reply with quote
Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer - this works for everything. Can be thinned out with your eye cream or moisturizer. Great coverage.

bareFaced Minerals velvet plush foundation - I can conceal with this by dampening my concealer brush and dipping it in the powder.

Chantecaille concealer/foundation stick - I used this before discovering bareFaced minerals and like it alot. Smile
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:31 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
*MAC Studio Finnish Concealer (I hated the Select, it never covered anything and the finnish was awful).

*Physicians Formula Talc Free Mineral Loose Powder - I use a little of this with my concealer brush and it is fantastic at covering spots and blemishes, they literally disapear before my eyes and the lasting power is good too.

rosebud Smile
Do you use your MAC Studio Finish for blemishes?

For blemishes and red marks, so far the best concealer that I have tried in the last two years is Bobbi Brown's Blemish Cover Stick concealer. I tried JI concealer (the one for blemishes) and the lightest color was too orangy.

For my dark circles I really like JI Circle Delete once I got the hang of using it with the correct brush. The peach tone really works well at concealing the blue around my eyes.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:54 am      Reply with quote
The concealing I do on a regular basis is for bluish undereye circles and a few random red spots (broken caps or the occassional pimple).

I am consistently finding that unless I'm going to be wearing foundation, when I'll use MAC or Chanel in a slightly lighter shade than my foundation, I get the most natural coverage from Physician's Formula color correctors - yellow for blue and green for red. I have them in both the stick and the liquid and don't really have a preference.

You would think that a color corrector without the use of foundation would not look natural, but with careful blending, it looks more natural on me than natural color concealers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:31 am      Reply with quote
1) Which covers really well and has a nice non-cakey and light texture?
The absolutely best concealer for under eyes that I have ever used, without a doubt, is Guerlain Issima Precious Light. It comes in a clicky pen similar to YSL Touche Eclat. The texture's definitely light and silky, helping it to melt into your skin and blend beautifully, whilst providing enough cover to conceal dark circles without any sign of cakeiness or balling up. I can't imagine ever finding anything better now!

2) Do you use a separate one for eyes and face?
Yes. I use the Guerlain Issima for under my eyes. For my face, I use Pure Luxe What Red? to disguise any redness. But for blemishes, I use Benefit Bo-ing. It conceals very well indeed and blends nicely.

3) What covers blue circles the best?
Guerlain Issima Precious Light.

4) What about dark brown circles around the eyes?
Sorry, don't know about this. It's probably one of the very few skin problems from which I don't suffer!

5) How about melasma (hyperpigments)?
Again, sorry, no experience with this.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Amnis the MAC Studio Finnish concealer is good for both undereye and blemishes Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I like the MAC select cover-up for eyes & blemish. But after reading Rosebud's post now I'll have to go spend more $ on another concealer Smile
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I use MAC studio concealer. It is great for covering up blemishes and hyperpigmentation because it lasts all day and is thick. I use it for undereyes as well but can be drying. If you dont have dry skin, then this can be really good to cover up dark spots. I have used the select cover concelear as well and found it didnt last long or cover enough.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Could someone be so kind as to provide the ingredients of MAC's studio finish concealer? I cannot find it on the internet anywhere.

TIA.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Emilee_ann_143
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
Cle de Peau is the best!!

5% products discount

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:09 am      Reply with quote
I don't have a HG concealer, but I use a few different ones depending on my skin tone and sensitivity that day.

I recently got a couple of samples of Vichy Dermablend, (I think it's the Smooth Indulgence Concealer. It's liquid - not creme) and I've tried that a few times for under-eye only. I mix 2 colors to get the right shade/tone. I like it, but it is a bit heavy for me. But it's definitely the one I'd use for going out at night. It's best if you apply a setting powder over it.

Bobbie Brown concealer - I have a mini compact (was a limited edition) that contains the correction, concealer, and yellow setting powder. This is creamier and the color is good, but I think it tends to settle in creases more on me. But wiping it usually resolves that. And I only use under-eye - not entire eye area or on rest of face.

MAC Select cover-up. (the Studio Finish was too heavy for me) THis is my favorite for using on face - cheeks and nose to hide broken caps and redness, upper eyes, and any areas on my face that I have some redness. It has a light texture and provides great coverage. It works OK for under-eye because it's not drying or heavy or cakey, but not my favorite under-eye concealer. I usually combine it with Bobbie Brown (I apply MAC to the entire eye area, and then Bobbie Brown for the dark circles and inner corners.

I'll be checking this thread too because I would love to find a concealer that I absolutely love.

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
mk
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
i know clinique skincare is not great, but i have found some of their cosmetics to be quite good. i use one of their concealers. i can't remember the name, but it comes in a pen with a brush at the end, like the ysl touch eclat.

i have dark circles under my eyes (all the women in my mother's side of the family have been blessed with them) and this does a pretty good job of covering them up. i also use it as a highlighter on my cheekbones, and over spots.

the texture is light and creamy, sinks into the skin, and lasts all day.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
For me, Chanel's Quick Cover has been the cat's meow for years now. Good coverage and Sharon Stone's favorite, too. Smile I am getting older and would like to find one that has more moisture in it but for now I just mix a bit of moisturizer with the concealer in my hand then apply.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 wrote:
For me, Chanel's Quick Cover has been the cat's meow for years now. Good coverage and Sharon Stone's favorite, too. Smile I am getting older and would like to find one that has more moisture in it but for now I just mix a bit of moisturizer with the concealer in my hand then apply.

I don't know anything about Chanel's Quick Cover but when you mentioned wanting more moisture I thought of JI Cirlce Delete. Have you ever tried that? I was just curious how it would compare to your Chanel + moisturizer.

Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
So many great replies! Smile

I picked up Revlon ColorStay in a darker shade, and it does cover very well and it stays put!

I also picked up Max Factor's Pan Stick and it covers extremely well, it's very thick and moisturizing, to say the least. It doesn't contain talc, which I'm finding is something I like more and more these days, talc free always looks better for some reason. It would probably clog my pores up and has a slight fragrance but it did cover well under my eyes.

I am making a list of all these great items to look for at least a couple next time I'm near a large Bay or Holt's.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed Dr Hauschka's concealer. It goes on great and stays on well throughout the day. I also found that it reduces the redness and appearance of blemishes with use. It's my top pick.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I bought Kevyn Aucoin Skin Enhancer a few months ago and I LOVE it!! I am extremely pale so I have a very hard time finding matching concealer and foundation and his range of shades is wonderful. I have the perfect color for me from his line! It's expensive ($45) but I don't use much. Plus, if need be, I can thin it (like someone else mentioned) and use it in place of tinted moisturizer or foundation only in needed spots. Great product! I suspect my jar of this will last about two years. I don't put my fingers in it -- just use a brush.

I use Bobbi Brown's concealer for under the eyes because I find the yellow in it looks better. I think it stays on well but I do have to be careful to make sure I smooth out any that get into creases. A pot lasts me about a year.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |