Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
For all the uk gals!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone
I'm planning on going to the uk this year sometime,probably nov.dec.
I'm going to take my son to see his dad in gloucestershire(near cheltenham) and seeing as i've never been there I was looking for any advice about what its like in england.
Anything at all!...what the people are like,the weather,the cost of living etc etc
Sorry if i seem a bit general Very Happy but any feedback would be great!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:12 am      Reply with quote
That's funny. These are questions I've been asked every day for more than 4 years because I live in China. I don't know how I'm qualified to answer for the whole of Britain so I always add disclaimers. I end up feeling like the Queen Mother. These are questions I've thought about a lot though. Where are you from yourself Carol? You must have some idea about the UK already. Tell us what your assumptions are.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi molly
I'm in aus..my sons dad is from england and he's a bit out there sometimes! I've just got that impression of english people from watching reality shows but I guess you shouldnt judge by those sorts of shows as they usually attract the real extroverts!(im thinking of big brother!uk)
I'm wondering how much money i should take for spending on food etc for a month(i dont need to pay for accomodation)and a bit of sightseeing.Can you tell me what the cost of living is like over there?Also how much money customs like you to have with you as i read you need to show that you can support yourself while you're there.
I just saw on the British high commision website that australian citizens who are coming into the country for less than 6 months dont need a visa, just a current passport. I never realised that as i just assumed you need a visa to enter any country.
Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Yes, we're all exactly like the housemates in Big Brother, Carol - in fact, probably even worse. I know I am.

Just kidding! Laughing

I would say that most English people are pretty down-to-earth and friendly, with a good sense of humour. Mind you, I'm from the North and I always heard that the farther south you go, the colder the hearts and the less friendly the people. Having said that, I've met some fantastic Southerners, so that's not necessarily true!

We tend to really love Aussies (probably because of the national * spam alert * to Neighbours" and "Home and Away"). You'll more than likely get a very warm welcome, with everyone desperate to know what life's like in Oz. (They'll also expect you to tell them lots of inside info on the soaps. Laughing )

I'm afraid that the cost of living is pretty high here - especially in the south. If you'll be buying food in the big supermarkets, you can get it pretty cheaply, though.

Eating out varies widely. Pub meals, rather than restaurants, can work out to be much less expensive. Be careful of the quality, though, and try to get recommendations if poss to make sure you get decent food. There are some fantastic pub meals and some incredibly grotty ones. For a typical pub/unposh restaurant meal, you're talking around £5-£12 for a main course and about £3-£6 for a pudding.

There are some nice independent pizza restaurants, which tend not to be very expensive. An excellent pizza chain (with proper pizzas, not Pizza Hut-stylee) is called Pizza Express. Their pizzas are around the £6 to £7 mark and are absolutely delicious, with lovely, fresh ingredients.

Even cheaper are little cafés. You can sometimes find some real gems, with delicious homemade food.

If you fancy some gorgeous sandwiches, then try somewhere like Prêt-à-Manger. It's an ethical eatery with a lovely choice of snack lunches, made with quality ingredients. Not cheap, but not too expensive either.

There's also the traditional British fish & chippy. Not sure how much they cost these days, as I hate fish!

Have a fantastic time when you get here, Carol, and let us know what you think of us!!!! Laughing

(It's fascinating hearing a different perspective.)
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi
Yes, I'd second majorB. I think most British people think having a sense of humour is the most important thing in life in any situation formal or not. This has really surprised my Chinese friends who've studied in the UK. We're quite straight (down to earth). We do get cooler as you head further south, but we're quite genuine. Australians are pretty similar really except they complain about us complaining. Try and remember we're only doing it for fun.
I think Big Brother is a better point of reference than Dickens, you'll be fine. At least you don't think London's froggy (not a typo).

I don't know much about prices except they're shocking, but I come from the developing world.
I took a Chinese friend sightseeing round London last summer and the prices were between 7-12 pounds per visit to a place. The Queen charges the highest prices. I was shocked Shock and refused to go inside Buckingham Palace, but there I go whinging again.....

Travel's expensive too...

Have fun
Molly Wink
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:39 am      Reply with quote
I've gone to UK for about five times to visit my relatives over there. The living standard is so high there especially in Loneon. You can say Britih people are snobbish but all of my friends over there are so friendly and helpful.

I especially love the bed and breadfast in London and enjoy shopping over there. The SA are so friendly, knowledgeable and polite. Do not miss the chance of sight-seeing in London.

I recall that the first time I went to London was 30 years ago and I was so excited that I could see all those places that can be found in my primary school text book. Fanstastic!

Have you also heard the song of STREET OF LONDON? I wish I could be there now.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Oh!
I wish our forum members from UK can answer carolb69's question.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you also heard the song of STREET OF LONDON?

They're probably too embarrassed to say anything now you've mentioned that awful song.

I've never known a Londoner who it didn't make cringe. Even the buskers hate it - they just know it makes the tourists pay up.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think STREET OF LONDON is that awful as Molly said. It is a very good song.

I believe that people living in the big cities, like Tokyo, Paris, London, Hong Kong, LA.....usually are so busy going to work, earning for a living. You will notice that they walk so fast especially in the commercial area.

Whenever I go travelling anywhere, I always have a good time and don't border whether people are friendly or not. Honestly I am planning to visit London again in next couple of years.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
You like it.....but you are a tourist aren't you? And I'm a Londoner and I don't which is exactly what I'm saying.

You can like it, that's OK.

But you do realise it's not a romantic song about London, don't you? It's a song about homelessness on the streets of London. You see I think tourists only hear the bit of the chorus with London in it and get all romantic about the city - well fine, but here are the words. It's about poor, old, lonely people some without homes. What's so lovely about that?

Have you seen the old man
In the closed-down market
Kicking up the paper,
with his worn out shoes?
In his eyes you see no pride
And held loosely at his side
Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me you're lonely,
And say for you that the sun don't shine?
Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old girl
Who walks the streets of London
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?
She's no time for talking,
She just keeps right on walking
Carrying her home in two carrier bags.

Chorus

In the all night cafe
At a quarter past eleven,
Same old man is sitting there on his own
Looking at the world
Over the rim of his tea-cup,
Each tea last an hour
Then he wanders home alone

Chorus

And have you seen the old man
Outside the seaman's mission
Memory fading with
The medal ribbons that he wears.
In our winter city,
The rain cries a little pity
For one more forgotten hero
And a world that doesn't care
AJL-C
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Im one of those cold sotherners Laughing just kidding Very Happy

I would say the majority of southerners are warm friendly people... you do get the odd bozo but name me somewhere that you dont. Its definitely more exspensive the further down south you go unfortunately. but I guess thats the price you pay for the slightly warmer weather Very Happy

I am sure what ever you get up to and where ever you go you will be made welcome AJ Very Happy
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Oh my God!

Come on Molly, DON't treat it too serious. I am talking about the rhythm of the song. You misunderstood me. Mybe both of our English are not good enough to communicate.

Anyway whenever talking about England, I recall this song again. It was very popular so many years ago.

It is appreciated for your time and effort to post the content of the song. I like it......
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carol, well if you are coming over to the UK in Nov/Dec it will probably be raining and on the chilly side.
One thing you will definately notice is how green it is over here, lots of green fields, trees, bushes......this may be due to the fact that it always rains Laughing
You have got to go and have fish and chips at a traditional English chippy, this will cost about £3.
People here are on the whole really friendly.
You can't beat spending an eveing down the local pub, always a lovely atmosphere Very Happy
Oh and you can walk everywhere and it is legal to Jay walk which I do all the time Laughing
The roads will seem tiny here, I remember when I was in Florida all the cars looked huge, wait till you see someone driving along in a smart car or a Micra and you will be falling around laughing.
Cadbury's Chocolate!!!!!!
I am sure I will be able to ramble on some more!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I extremely agree with rosebud.

Britain is an extraordinary country that I want to visit again. Very Happy
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your replies Very Happy My grandmother and my mum(came to aus when she was 19)are from scotland and some of the scots ive met are lovely. I know we're talking england though so im a bit of topic!

Do you have vegemite over there? Cant live without my vegemite Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I think we have Vegemite. We certainly have Marmite, which I think is similar.

Does any other UK person know?

(Sorry, but I can't abide the horrible stuff, myself! Embarassed )
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |