Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Salicylic Acid - Weird Reactions?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I was using DIY vitamin C with glycerin and aloe vera and some olive oil on my face. I started to get some breakout though. Besides for the breakouts my skin was otherwise looking very good. More even toned and glowing, even my dark circles seemed less noticeable and much lighter when I used the C serum. I have to admit though that with the glycerin it made me look very greasy all day, which probably explains the breakouts.

Anyways, so I stopped all that and started using salicylic acid pads to clear up the breakouts. It is always praised this salicylic acid for the skin, clearing it up and for exfoliation and smooth skin etc. Esp. with the aspirin masks and all. Well I have no idea what % those are, but with these pads after only a few days my skin looks horrible! It's all red and blotchy, the pores look stressed and stretched. It looks like I have weird discolorations now and my cheeks are red. When I look closely I can see on my cheek and under my eye that there are spots of like broken blood vessels or something. I've had a few of those along the edges of my nose, but that was it. Now all of a sudden they are showing up in other spots of my face after this stuff. Is this permanent? Will these go away? I always heard and read that salicylic acid is gentler and less irritating then AHA, but I never reacted to AHA like this. I also got this large one forming under the skin on my chin I can feel after using the stuff. I've never had that happen before like that. I am really worried. Are these abnormal reactions to salicylic acid, or the normal and painful process you normally have to go through with it to get to eventually clear skin? I know some treatments make you look worse before they make you look better. Is this one of them, or should I stop using it immediately? What should I do? I hate this! I don't want to cause any perm. damage to my skin. Thanks.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Do some parts of your skin like shiny/plastic looking. I've experienced what you've described with my skin, only though when I've over exfoliated and used too many strong AHA's. I'm not sure but maybe you're using too many harsh products on your skin and over drying it.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
What brand are these pads?? I would suggest you stop using them, like, yesterday! A lot of the symptoms you are describing sound like what I go through when I use something too harsh on my skin. So, I recommend getting rid of the pads, and putting any strong cleansers away for a few days. Then, spend a few days using only the gentlest of cleansers and the gentlest of acne treatments. My go-to gentle treatments are Juice Blemish Serum, Dermadoctor Picture Pore-fect serum, PSF Balancing Oil, and PSF O2 serum. Your skin will start to look better in a few days, I promise!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Byrg,

I use a 2% salicylic acid solution on a daily basis and a 5% solution to spot treat blemishes and have never experienced what you are going through with BHAs. Do you know what the % solution of the product was? Also, it may have contained other ingredients that irritated your skin causing this problem.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Believe me I wish I did stop yesterday! Or really never started. I had no idea though, cause I thought BHA's were so much gentler and better tolerated, and it's not a peel, just a daily cleaners/toner. The ones I used are these ones: http://devita.net/products/ProductView.mgi2?mgiToken=K11L6J9D230CP19Q&ID=DAP

Although it is a typo on the site. On the box it says it is just 5%, not 10%. I also started with just 1 application a day like it said to start off with, not 2-3 times.

I mean I'm not saying that my whole face is all red, just certain areas, esp. around my chin, nose, and also on my cheeks right next to my nose.

Only my nose is shiny/oily. The rest of my skin looks very dry and matte. I haven't been using any other harsh products. Just the same castile soap I had been using, this and some aloe vera gel and a bit of tea tree oil. I did do a clay mask today, but it didn't help any that I can tell. I'll stop using them, but I don't know what is best to use to get my skin back to normal and clear. Has anyone used this serum before?
http://miessenceproducts.com/product.asp?productid=15
goldie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I suspect that the 5% salicylic acid was too strong for you. I had to work up to that strength myself. Actually, the site where I purchase my 5% solution keeps it on a separate section for strong acids and will only give out the link & allow you to purchase them once you have demonstrated that you can handle lower percentage acids first.

At this point, I would just back off from all acids and let your skin recuperate.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Goldie. I can't believe they sell or put that high of a % in a reg. blemish treatment product to begin with. I had no idea what was considered high or low for salicylic acid. Does anyone know what % is in aspirin? Thanks.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
First thing I would say is STOP USING THEM IMMEDIATELY. That is not a normal reaction, but it sounds like EXACTLY how I react to the asprin mask (which of course is just salicylic acid) and I also had a similar reaction with MD Forumulations AHAs. I dont seem to get it with the IS Clinical Active Serum though, so I guess the percentage is lower.

When I had my terrible reaction with asprin mask I went onto the Thalgo delicacy cleansing milk and matching day cream and it really helped. I would definately go for something soothing and with no actives in it for a while.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
I would recommend that you apply aloe vera on the affected areas to prevent burns, discolorations and skin damage.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi Byrg

Actually apirin doesn't contain salicylic acid it's made up of Acetylsalicylic Acid, a relative. I was reading recently that this doesn't have the same pore-scrubbing exfoliating properties as salicylic and it's main purpose is anti-inflammatory.

2% is usual for salicylic acid. 5% is only for experienced users. Responsible sellers like Dianayvonne hide it away and you have to ask for it. It's their fault really. They shouldn't have sold it to you.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |