Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
RAVE: Desert Essence Italian Red Grape Shampoo/Conditioner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
So... I picked this up at the health food store on a whim. Lord knows I DON'T need any more hair products.

However, I was heading to the beach for a week and it said "UV Filters" and it smelled like Grape juice, so I was sold.

My hair is long, dark brown, completely straight (i.e. I tried a temporary perm once, and it did nothing; I needed setting lotion, hot rollers, a ton of spray and other products just to keep the "long ringlets" the bride required for the 30 minute ceremony in my best friend's wedding), and I have an OILY SCALP.

This stuff smells great (if you like the smell of grape juice) and just left my hair unbelievably clean, soft, and SHINY!!!

Plus, it's ORGANIC, and doesn't have any of those things we try to avoid like parabens, SLS, artificial fragrance or colors, silicones, etc.! And it's less than $10 each for shampoo and conditioner.

Here's the link to drugstore.com:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp153726_333181_sespider/desert_essence_organics/shampoo_italian_red_grape.htm

I've been using it daily or every other day (trying to get out of the washing daily grind) for about a month, still have a bunch in the bottle, and my hair loves it.

I do think I need to shake it up, do a clarifying treatment or something, but you do that with everything. So this gets a RAVE!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
sounds yummy! I think I will order some on my next co-op order!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
wow, this stuff looks great! Thanks for the review!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Well tularyn, I have to thank you for this incredible review! I recently had to abandon ALL of my favorite shampoos and conditioners because they all contained castor oil and I have to avoid CO now because of an allergy. Sad So, I pretty much had to start over at square one for finding natural shampoos and conditioners that I like. Thanks to this great review, tho, the first ones I ordered were the Desert Essence Organics Red Grape Shampoo and Conditioner, as well as the sister set: Green Apple/Ginger. Actually I used the Green Apple/Ginger first, but the ingredients are so similar that I think the biggest difference is just the smell. Well, the smell is incredible! Smells just like apple juice, yum! What really blew me though, is how soft and shiny my hair is after using the Apple shampoo and conditioner. Frankly, I can't remember when my hair was so lustrous, and I just can't stop touching it. The juicy apple smell lingered just a little bit too. For less than $10 a tube, this stuff is such a bargain! And like Tularyn said, it has no petro, no sulfates, no parabens--- none of the nasties I like to avoid. I can't wait to try the Red Grape products now!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I just picked mine up yesterday- can't wait to try it in tomorrow's shower!
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
So glad to hear you like the apple manslayerliz... that's next on my "to try" list!

I mentioned in another thread that I recently tried the Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet with good results.

I do still like that one, but now I find that I like it best to wash out the Avocado hair treatment. On its own it cleans a bit too much maybe, so the Red Grape is my favorite. But who knows what wonders lay in store with the Apple!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
I just picked up the 5 Elements Earth shampoo and the Red Grape conditioner. I'll post after I try both of them out! I'm so excited Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Posting again! I just used the conditioner... holy flashback to the 80s, Batman! This stuff smells almost exactly like my old Strawberry Shortcake Sour Grapes toys! Shock Shock

I always loved the way she smelled, so, it's great in my book. I needed quite a bit out of the tube to coat my long hair, but, it left it very soft and healthy feeling.

I think I see myself repurchasing and checking out the shampoo and Apple products Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I used mine this am. I have the grape. I'm not crazy about the scent, but I didn't find it overpowering once out of the shower. It did a great job in my hair. Even though it doesn't have sls I didn't have a hard time spreading it through my hair. And even though my hair gets jumbled up shampooing as I rinsed it all became untangled. I loved the conditioner, great consistency and left my hair smooth, shiny, and knot free.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:06 am      Reply with quote
nyjlm wrote:
I used mine this am. I have the grape. I'm not crazy about the scent, but I didn't find it overpowering once out of the shower. It did a great job in my hair. Even though it doesn't have sls I didn't have a hard time spreading it through my hair. And even though my hair gets jumbled up shampooing as I rinsed it all became untangled. I loved the conditioner, great consistency and left my hair smooth, shiny, and knot free.

Ugh, I changed my opinion... everytime I would turn my head after using this, it smelled like a wad of grape Hubba Hubba.

I would have guessed anything that I would have thought that was cool, but, in actuality, it made me naseous Sad

I'll use it up, but, as it turns out, looks like I will NOT be repurchasing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Agave wrote:
Ugh, I changed my opinion... everytime I would turn my head after using this, it smelled like a wad of grape Hubba Hubba.

oh that's too bad! Funny, I used it again today and felt it was less overpowering than upon first use.

I really do like how clean it kept my hair in between washes. I have oily hair/scalp and live in FL so I was amazed at how good my hair looked yesterday.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi, this product sounds great. i have tried some natural shampoos that i absolutely haed (aubrey organics), but this sounds like something good. does it foam nicely or at all? aubrey's did not foam at all for me, so i couldn't spread it well over my scalp or hair, it was a nightmare.
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review - I'll have to keep my eyes open for this!
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
does it foam nicely or at all? aubrey's did not foam at all for me, so i couldn't spread it well over my scalp or hair, it was a nightmare.

I find that it lathers and spreads nicely. The shampoo is on the runnier side, but my hair is down to my bra strap, and a good squirt is enough for me--I rarely if ever go back to the tube for more.

The smell is a bit strong... I noticed it the first few times after my hair was dry, but now I think I've become accustomed to it and hardly notice it at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
thanks! this is next on my list of haves Smile
Sonson
5% products discount

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I found another website that sells it at a discount:

The website is "www dot vitaminlife dot com" and then search for Desert Essence.

I'm a new member so I am not allowed to type in website address, hence the "dot"
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with tularyn about the texture--- it definitely spreads nicely and gives you some nice lather. Like others have also mentioned, it also keeps my hair clean inbetween washes, even though it's not drying at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Just a little update--- I've been using the Green Apple/Ginger version for a little over a week, and my hair is still so silky and shiny! Just to experiment I used a Pureology shampoo on one day, and my husband commented on how he didn't like the strong smell and he missed the Green Apple, not to mention that my hair didn't look as good. And Pureology costs more than double what the Desert Essence line costs---what a rip off! I'll try the red grape soon and report back.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
i have ordered and just received the grape shampoo and conditioner set and i have to say, I LOVE the smell! the conditioner doesn't tangle my thick hair too well, so i think in the future i won't reorder that, but the shampoo i am definitely sticking with.

I was tempted to buy the apple version but i don't need a "thickening" formula.

Thanks tularyn for the review!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I am going to have to go against the grain here and say I am so NOT liking this shampoo and conditioner (I think the conditioner moreso than the shampoo).

I really wanted to try this line but when I did my last order at vitacost.com they only had the grape one available in both shampoo and conditioner (I was brave to get it as the only grapes I can stand are either fresh and seedless or fermented and in a corked bottle)

My hair: Very long (past shoulder blades when wet) and I have a truly thick head of hair but the hair itself is very fine.

The smell: OK, so it smells like a bloody packet of Hi-chew (Japanese candy) or Bubble gum Laughing , but I have been able to stand it and after the shower it is not too bad (I dont notice a lingering smell the next day).

The shampoo: It is very clear and quite runny (reminds me of the Renew Rosehip). Like the Renew it does not lather much, which is a bit of a problem for me since I have so much damned hair, but I found that using a large quantity would create enough lather to get a good clean. I really doubt this would clean hair with styling product on it though, it does not seem powerful enough. Also, it does not keep the scalp feeling clean for very long (in winter I try to wash my hair just once a week because of the dry air and I get so much static and flyaway with fresh-washed hair), but I find that after 2 days my head feels dirty (and I dont use any styling products - which I guess is why I can usually get away with the once-a-week cleaning). But all that said, it is not bad for a SLS free shampoo (liked it better than Renew) and would work better on shorter or less volumous hair I think and probably better for daily washing.

The conditioner: oh god I HATE THIS... feels nice going on.. again, very similar to Renew.. hair combs through like a a breeze but after that it is hell. No matter how much I rinse it never feels like it is all gone and this is evident that my hair is a horrid combination of dried out, feeling like straw, an oily/sticky feel to it, and whilst very "bushy" and thick (and hard to comb/brush), it seems limp. I have told hubby to try these tomorrow morning and if he does not like them they are going to the big B-I-N.

I am so disappointed that I did not get the same fabo results as everyone else here did with this brand... Sad

Thus far, my favorite SLS-free shampoos and conditioners remain Avalon Organics.... though the John Masters are going in the cart for the next EDS order!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I got these about 4 months ago. They aren't bad, but they aren't great either. My hair is fairly long, fine (but there's a lot of it), light reddish brown (kinda like a strawberry blond), curly/wavy, with a tendency toward frizziness (it seems to be getting straighter and less frizzy as I age). I need volume and smoothing from my shampoos and conditioners. I have to wash my hair almost every day or it looks oily. Desert Essence does a so-so job with the volume, but I notice a lack of shine and silkiness.

The smell of the shampoo and conditioner is strong, and it lasts. Even after the hair is completely dry, there is a faint candy grape smell, like grape Bubblicious gum. I hate to waste stuff, so I'm using these at least once a week on days that I don't care if my hair looks great or not.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have medium to long hair, fine but lots of it like Jeannine. I too did not care for this shampoo or conditioner. Usually I wash my hair every second day, but with this stuff, I had to do it every day. It gave my hair a weird feel and left it lacklustre and limp.

It is definitely a miss for me. There is no way in hell I would re-purchase this! Sad Come to think of it, I probably won't even finish what I have.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I fogot to update this... in a couple of posts above I said I would let DH use it...

Well, he tried it once.. and HATED it so much that the entire tubes went to the bin (after a total of just 3 uses between the 2 of us).

Again, just like me (and I had not told him what I thought) he was not keen on the smell, found the shampoo to be just so-so and truly hated the conditioner which left his hair "hard" (his word).

He has gone back to his Avalon Organics peppermint...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
I am pretty sure the grape smell would be a problem for me. Do they have other smells? Also do they make shampoo/cond for dry hair? I already found my HG shampoo/cond but heard that it's good to switch shampoo every few months, so I'm keeping an eye out for another good one. Thank you.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Well, Cherisse, based on my experience with the grape one (even ignorning the smell issue) I would never try this line again. Even a change in smell cannot change how completely horrid the conditioner was.

I know I am totally ragging on this line, but I have never used a product in my life that was just so terrible, so instantly. Honestly. I mean we both found it so bad that I cannot even put it down to a hair-type or water-type issue.. I cannot understand how anyone would love it...

I am wondering if maybe they have had a formula change? Everyone who reviewed and raved were last July ... I bought mine in December, havanna8 when did you buy yours?

I am off to dig my conditioner out of the garbage to get the ingredients for comparison with someone hopefully... (ewww)

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |