Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

So does everyone really like that "dewey" look w/m
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
You know with NO POWDER whatsoever. Ihad my make up done at MAC, she was going for that dewey look and she would not put any powder on. I really don't feel comfortable without it. In fact, with all the layers of make up she put on me, I just looked greasy I don't like it at all. I prefer a matte finish. My skin looks even, cleaner and softer. I know it is in but I just don't care for it. I went home and immediately put some trasluscent powder on.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I like the dewy look but without too much makeup. Kind of a natural dewy look. No glittery sparkle stuff for me though. I think the older I get I appreciate more dew. Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:28 am      Reply with quote
I actually think my skin looks better with no powder on, I have noticed that when I do wear powder or foundation my skin looks a little duller, then I have to use more make-up to create the dewy look.
If I just use a little concealer where needed and a touch of blusher my skin looks healthier and a lot more radiant during the day.
I think the biggest difference has been my skincare regime, since I have found the products that work or me, it shows in my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Ironically, I was anti-matte until I mistakenly bought the wrong MAC foundation, which makes me matte without powder and without looking dull(Studio Tech).

Generally, though, I think a reasonable amount of sheen is more flattering because it reflects light away from flaws. But as you noted, it's a personal preference.

What seems to work well for me when I want coverage but some sheen is using the Studio Tech followed by spot application of Chanel's Sheer Brilliance.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I like the dewey sort of look. That's why I like the BE mineral veil, because it's not too matte.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I really like a matte look, not into the overly dewy look at all. (If I do not use powder I look shiney, not dewey, lol!!).
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 am      Reply with quote
If you have blemishes or not smooth skin then the dewey look will just reflect the uneven-ness of your skin. I agree that too much dewey can make you look greasy, thats usually caused if you wear too much make-up. For a night out a like a bit of dewey, I wear Chanel Vitalumiere, but over top of that I put a bit of powder or else it looks too greasy.
goldie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I prefer more of a matte look. I guess since I have oily skin that I associate dewey with shiney, and I definitely don't want shiney. Plus, I agree with BCgirl that dewey seems to emphasize imperfections more than matte.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I also like a matte look. For me (with slightly oily skin) I find it gives a softer, more even younger looking finish.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:32 am      Reply with quote
goldie wrote:
I prefer more of a matte look. I guess since I have oily skin that I associate dewey with shiney, and I definitely don't want shiney. Plus, I agree with BCgirl that dewey seems to emphasize imperfections more than matte.

Goldie, I feel the same way. I think that because I naturally have oily skin, dewy to me is about 5 minutes away from being greasy! I don't want my face to look dry as a bone, but I do prefer a little bit of powder to look matte.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Do I like the dewy look?? Heck no!! If I wash my face, put on foundation and do nothing else, I will literally be a grease pit in 10 minutes. NOT sexy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I a matte look maven too Smile - not pancake matte - but polished natural silk velvet matte where you skin tone is even and very healthy looking.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe this is a wanting what you don't have thing. Like straight vs curly hair. If you have dry skin, you want it 'dewy', but if you have oily skin, 'dewy' is the enemy. At least for me (oily) that's the case. Any slight sheen at all and out come the blotting papers! Laughing
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:59 am      Reply with quote
cloud_9, how true!! Laughing
MAC Strobe Cream is good though Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the rest of the oily gals out there. Dewy=oily. I don't like that flat matte finish either. I guess I want to much!!

Rosebud what is MAC Strobe Cream?
julliams
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
I am 33 and have never used powder on a long term basis. I always felt I was overdone when I wore it. I am always amazed that people can't leave the house without pancake and powder.

I just put on concealer under my eyes and red marks around my nose and chin, then do my eyes, blush and put lippy on once I am about to leave the car. Yes, I don't look like I am wearing anything but I feel comfortable this way.

I wasn't aware this was called a dewey look (I didn't know there was a name for my look except for "can't be bothered" - lol)

Juliette
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I hate the dewey look. It looks fresh for about a minute then you look SHINY and GREASY. I have never seen anyone who could pull it off. It looks good if you have on NO makeup, but if you're wearing makeup, go with the powder. Its just my opinion but I've just never seen it work.
I am biased though because I hate my own oily skin in the summertime. This stems from my own hatred of my summertime oilies. If I didn't hate it so much I might not be so against the look in general.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I look better without powder but only for a few minutes. If I don't use powder, I will be a grease pit in a few minutes, especially in the summer. Sad
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I like the dewy look personally. I like to look natural as opposed to matte - I don't like my make-up to be noticable I guess, but still give coverage. I use a liquid foundation and I rarely use powder - only if I need extra coverage somewhere and occassionally under my eyes also. I don't have oily skin though, so my skin never looks oily IMO - even with the "dewy look". Once again, each to their own Smile .
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:21 am      Reply with quote
I'm oily and like a dewy look but hate the shiny oily look. I've recently taken talc out of my routine, I look much healthier. Talc in products always looks chaulky on me, even if hte shade is too dark.

I think it's personal preference and also certain people, bone structure and attitude can pull off one look or another. I personally find dewy (not shiny) more natural looking where matte is a sophisticated made up look.

The trick is to find the right balance with products and routine. Most luminizers look too shiny on me but some work nicely, like Prescriptives magic powder.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Ditto Smile

I also like the non powdery look! I have also taken out powder, although I use blotting paper, just to remove oil/shine. But no cakey powder for me too Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:25 am      Reply with quote
laine this is Strobe Cream Very Happy :

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15120&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1507

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:10 am      Reply with quote
Thanks rosebud. Is this something you use on a regular basis
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I'm not rosebud... Laughing But I remember when she bought the strobe cream and how pleased she was and seems to still be...

here's her review...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10274&highlight=strobe

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10440&highlight=strobe

HTH

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Elfie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to focus on anything other then the fact that you were getting your makeup done and the artist wouldn't put powder on you. You are the client, her artistic talents are for magazine shoots etc, if you want powder put it on you. She is there to sell makeup.

That being said I find it very difficult to walk the line between dewey/greasy/matt/dry. I was a makeup artist for Shiseido in the early 90's when that god aweful super matt look came out. It was the bane of my existance. Try making mature skin look good using super matt products. There were no silicone products back then and the matt products were so drying.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |