Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

underarm problem
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I'm hoping there is someone here who has had this problem or knows how to cure it.

Around 15 years ago I shaved my armpits with a grungy old razor (I don't know what possessed me) and ended up with infected underarms so the doctor gave me antibiotics and the inflammation went away, but when I sweated I smelt like someone else with a really bad case of B.O. so I went back to the doctor thinking I must still have an infection but he said that my flora and fauna had changed (so different bacteria living on my skin under my arms). He said there was nothing wrong with me and he couldn't do anything. He just gave me some anti-bacterial scrub, which only kept the bacteria at bay for a few hours at a time. I tried all kinds of things, eventually settling on Corsodyll (a rinse for people with bad gums) which was a bit gentler on my skin at least. Then after THREE years I realised I was myself, odourless again.

Now, this has just happened again. I used a brand new clean razor. I'm very careful these days, but I must have hurt one armpit and though it's not sore, there's no swelling nor signs of damage, but I smell like an alien again. This is only under one armpit. I was reading about ACV and tried that - worse. I've been putting real yogurt on it to try and overload the bad bacteria with good ones which lasts for a couple of hours. It's so humid here I never sweated so much in my life and it's embarrassing to smell so bad.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

M
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
When I go to the gym I've been putting pure Ylang Ylang oil under my arm pits. It does seem to limit the oder and it is an antibacterial.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
There was a thread awhile ago about deoderants and I believe Certain Dri was recommended by alot of members for perspiration.

Have you tried taking any supplements that are probiotic, maybe that might help??? As for EO's, how about a dilution of tea tree oil? This is very antibacterial and antifungal. Or try Ylang Ylang as suggested or maybe mix the two together. Sorry for your troubles, I do hope you find a solution soon. Very Happy
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I bet it's not as bad as you think. Smile

Lavendar essential oil is supposed to be good for controlling odor. Maybe try using a lavendar soap (Kiss my Face makes a good one) on your armpits, then dabbing the oil there as well?

I just bought a stick of Mitchum clear gel-- best deodorant ever.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi
It is as bad as I think. Or rather it's not 'my' smell, which I find disturbing.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's a good idea using deodorants on the mal-functioning armpit until I've given the skin there time to get healthy again - using deodorants on my damaged underarms was how I got the serious infection the first time around.

I didn't realise Ylang Ylang was anti-bacterial, but I think it's going to be difficult to get hold of here. Tea tree oil's a good idea too. I've used that for skin problems before very effectively. I'll have a hunt tomorrow. (I'm in China)

Thanks all Very Happy M
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Molly, if you cannot find the tea tree oil, let me know. I am going to Australia on Friday and they sell good quality oil in decent sized bottles at the supermarket (well, it is a native tree of OZ). They also have eucalyptus and lavender oils all big sizes and all good pricing. I can always get you some and send over to you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Tiger Tim - you're very kind. wave I'll let you know.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Tiger what is euculyptus oil good for?
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
oh everything from clearing nasal passages and antiseptic properties through to removing stickiness from labels and pen from tables.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:17 am      Reply with quote
salt represses baterial/fungal growth.

you could try a weak solution of baking soda in water, and dab that on.

i second the tea tree oil idea.

even though the yoghurt didn't work so well topically, eat lots and lots. it'll support healthy flora from within.

good luck!

i understand the weirdness you're talking about. when i moved to germany, for some reason my smell changed. and it wasn't that i was stinkier, but i could smell myself--and i smelled DIFFERENT. it was So disconcerting.

when i returned my boyfriend noticed it within hours. i didn't smell sweatier or anything--just different.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi pustekuchen

Thanks for dropping by...

I'm pleased to report that I think the yogurt IS working. I keep applying every few hours and the bad odour is becoming less and less prevalent. I do drink tons of fresh yogurt generally. I think it's great stuff.

I tried the salt before, but now I've changed tactics. I've decided using anti-bacterial things is bad news because you do want positive bacteria living there.

It seems to me from my previous experience using a strong anti-bacterial wash daily was kind of prolonging the problem because as soon as it wears off the bad bacteria have a lovely clean spot to move into again. Must be like taking anti-biotics, which I was a few weeks ago. I think that could have contributed to this.

I was using my gentle face cleanser, but now I'm just washing with water and slapping on the yogurt.

Thanks for the advice
M
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:16 am      Reply with quote
It could be the lactic acid in the yoghurt is penetrating the skin and really deep cleansing the area?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:23 am      Reply with quote
I'm waiting for these to come in to stock, I've seen the crystal/mineral stones but not scented. I'll report back when I have tried them(when they're in stock).

http://www.amphora-wholesale.com/natural-deodorants-organic-twist-sticks-c-99_102_244.html

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have been selling a lot of Drysol Dab On and is very popular. It is a very strong anti-perspirant. It is prescription strength in the U.S. but you can you purchase from my ebay name since it is considered over-the-counter in Canada. Hope this helps!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Hadatia

Read the rules!
You're not supposed to sell your own stuff.

Quote:
EDS Lounge
Discuss anything that does not fit into the other forums. Relax and talk about whatever your hearts desire.Please exclude any customer support inquiries or self-advertising
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't use deodorant because I don't need it. But I sometimes get that issue where my right armpit smells different because there is an ingrown hair or two. For me the infection is usually trapped under the skin and sebum accumulates. (a bit graphic) It helps to squeeze that out first; if possible try to clear that follicle so you don't have bacteria remaining deep under the skin. I usually can squeeze out a chunk of something, along with the trapped hair. Then try to exfoliate and clean it using the methods suggested. Maybe you can also try liquid iodine (don't know if you can get it in the states) but if the treatment doesnt get under the skin I think it may be hard to fix? That may not be the case with you.

Anyway I have found that liquid cultures of lactobacilli that you get in nutrition stores are much more potent than plain yogurt... maybe you can try that too if the yogurt stops working. Wouldn't hurt to kill off all the flora with something harsh, then start recolonizing with the good bacteria.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi Vpmiyu

Quote:
I usually can squeeze out a chunk of something, along with the trapped hair

OMG Shock Shock Shock They need to add a vomit icon.

That's just too horrible. I'd rather smell bad. I can't believe you said that. Laughing
elee123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Does EDS selling any deordorant that works and recommended by others?
hadatia

Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry! New to this!
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="Molly"]Hi Vpmiyu

[quote]I usually can squeeze out a chunk of something, along with the trapped hair[/quote]

OMG Shock Shock Shock They need to add a vomit icon.

That's just too horrible. I'd rather smell bad. I can't believe you said that. Laughing[/quote]

LOL sorry... I did put a warning that I was gonna get graphic. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Glad to see you seem to have found a solution - I was going to suggest lemon. I avoid regular deodorants, but I am never totally thrilled with the effectiveness of natural ones. I read somewhere (no idea where now) a few months ago that lemon will work as a deodorant, so I often just use a slice of lemon to wipe my underarms, and I find that it is great. Like a lot of the other solutions, I think that this works by killing bacteria.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Molly - a bit OT, but since you're in China (Guangzhou if I remember correctly from the now absent member location?)

You mentioned you drank a lot of yoghurt and also use it under the arms.. is that 'regular' yoghurt from the supermarkets?

When I was back in BJ I couldn't for the life of me find anything that didn't have sugar in it, even the 'plain' flavour was sweetened. And the stuff that had xylitol in it tasted reallly weird.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:47 am      Reply with quote
Actually you could buy nice unsweetened yogurt in Beijing when I lived there if you knew where to shop, but it was only in expensive foreigner friendly shops.

Here, they've got a real thing about yogurt now. Every supermarket and 7/11 type store sells Yakult, Danone and a whole range of Chinese ones like "Glassy Kiss" (LOL). Can't find anything unsweetened, but at least it's live. I'm using Yalkult on my underarms. Found the Danone a little creamy.

Actually you've reminded me I've got a packet of powdered, brew your own, yogurt powder because I was still planning on living in the country when I came back here. I'll give that a go, it's sugar free.

It's much more cosmopolitan than Beijing down here. There's almost a Western feel to it.
M
gosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly
Didn't know you're nearby in GZ! I'm from Hong Kong Smile It's so humid these days I just wanna fall asleep everytime I go home...
I've got this problem that my underarms get some pigmentation after having shaved them for years with many razor bumps. I wonder if there's any remedy to cure them?? Thanks so much for your help.
Gosa
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:52 am      Reply with quote
If you like tea tree, that Thursday Plantation brand from Australia makes an aluminium free deodorant. I bought one online just this week from an Australian pharmacy.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |