Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
At what age did you start to show visible signs of aging?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
At what age did you first notice yourself starting to show some age on your face and how did you feel about it/what did you do about it? What do you wish you had done about it as those initial signs started to kick in?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Early thirties.

I was completely Shock freaked Shock .

I was waking up every morning with pillow crumples in my face and lines beginning to run from the corners of my eyes across my cheeks. And I knew it was my mother's fault Laughing.

I did face exercises which helped a lot.

Wish I'd known more about topical anti-oxidants, (especially Vit C) so that I hadn't wasted so much money on ineffectual stuff from the high street and natural moisturisers/plumpers like HA/emu rather than high street brands which are full of rubbish. Molly
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Depends on how hard you look, or at what age you really looked hard! Laughing I'm 28 and I can see fine lines appearing around my orbital bone - not laugh lines exactly, but they are there. As well as a line in between my eye-brows - like a 1 instead of the 11's. It comes and goes (and stays when I'm in a bad mood Mad ), but it is deepening as the years go on. I try and exfoliate there as much as poss to keep the little pores in there clean and also wear sunnies and suncream as much as possible. In a few years I might try a muscle relaxant to put around my eyes and on my 1 to stop them deepening, but at the mo, what I am doing seems to stop them getting too much worse.

Oh, almost forgot, my neck is showing more lines actually, and this is beacuse until recently I ignored it re: suncream and exfoliating - now I know better!! Wink
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
I guess you could say I started seeing "signs of aging" in my 20's, but it was very minor. Started getting the crows feet because I squinted a lot, and maybe some subtle laugh lines.
I started seeing stuff that started to bother me in my mid-30's - like more pronouned crows feet, broken caps on cheeks and nose, and could see skin not as tight as it used to be. It took a lot longer for creases on my face (like from pillow) to disappear.
But when I applied makeup, it seemed to minimize imperfections. I always looked young for my age, and even at 39, I was still usually guessed at being 28 - 30 yrs old.

But when I hit 41, it seemed like it was overnight that I saw significant signs of aging - jowls, sagging skin, wrinkles and lose skin on neck, deep lip lines, crepe eyelids, darkness under my eyes where I HAVE to wear concealer, uneven skin tone/age spots. I now feel like I look older than my age. Shock Sad So started getting into more intensive anti-aging skincare products.

What I wish I did?
Had stopped exposing myself to the sun. I insisted on tanning till about 39. Tanning hid a lot of the imperfections (uneven skin tone, etc), but now I use self-tanner.
Also, wished I hadn't smoked - especially as much as I did for as long as I did (I recently quit). A healthier diet (more antioxidants) probably could have helped a bit.
I know those 2 things caused what I see in the mirror today. Don't think different skincare regimin (except adding sunscreen) would have helped me much if I still sunbathed and smoked a lot. Plus they didn't have the variety/availability/affordabiliy of anti-aging products as I was aging.

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
lilome
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:05 am      Reply with quote
Well, I turned 38 a few months ago and the only sign of aging I can notice (and hate) is that the skin on my neck is not as tight as I would like it to be. I have no wrinkles whatsoever.
I must say I never used to use any creams or anything because I always had problematic, oily, blemished skin and somehow I thought that creams would make things worse.
This changed at the age of 34. I've been taking good care of it for the last four years and now it looks good. In fact my skin today looks better than it has ever looked before; I often get complimented on it even by other women!
Let me add, I haven't sunbathed in the last 15 years (although I live in a very sunny country),use sunblock 12 months a year, have never smoked and that's where I attribute my skin's good condition despite not having done anything in terms of hydration or anti-aging care for so long.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:43 am      Reply with quote
I didn't really notice any signs until my early forties when I started waking up with puffy eyes which never seemed to go away. My doctor at the time told me it was the first signs of aging and to put up with it. It was also the first time I really noticed the elevens.
If I could go back and have a second chance, I would have told the doctor off and concentrated on getting rid of the puffy eyes (I now know it can be done and I would have saved myself years of having to put up with the resulting eyebags which inevitbly comes as a result of continual puffy eyes) and I would have worn an spf30 sunscreen every day and I would have invested more dollars in high end skin care (like I am doing now) instead of all the rubbish I bought from department stores.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Hmm...I think it is around two years ago, when I hit 35. I agreed with Melissa49, it really depends on how hard you look, or at what age you really looked hard!

Fine lines under my eyes appeared when I was in late 20's. A few fine lines is alright to me as this is not easily be seen. When I moved to Canada two years ago, my skin was much drier than I was in Hong Kong. I saw lots of fine lines appeared on my foreheads, undereyes and neck. I feeled uncomfortable every time I looked at the mirror. Since then, I started to read a lot of beauty magazines which I hope to be more familiar with various skin care products, and capable to find appropriate stuff to use.
Barbara Portno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:57 am      Reply with quote
Gee, signs of aging. I noticed changing about 40ish. Nothing horrible though, especially if I compare myself to others my age. I have laugh lines when I laugh, frown line when I frown. If I had to give advice to younger women, like my daughter age 20~ drink 40 oz of h20 daily, start a small exercise regime, drink lightly in moderation if at all but invest in quality products gradually but by the age of 21.
I know I am off course but the door was opened....
laine
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I guess it would be 31. I have laugh lines & lines on my forehead that have been there forever. But, I'm always laughing & smiling Very Happy Life is meant to be enjoyed Exclamation
Now that I'm 35 I think I'm beginning to see the first signs from smoking. My skin is not quite as bright as it once was. My hat is off to luvmykitties..way too go girl, wish it was me. I started using Aloette's Time Repair & Time Restore which really helped even out my skin tone, more exfoliation, lots of water & vitamins. The aspirin mask, OCM, ACV toner have been great for my adult acne oily prone skin. The oilies are more controlled, acne is 95% better and the aspirin mask also seems to be helping the clarity/brightness. Emu oil is great for the discoloration under eyes and great moisturizer. I'm looking into starting a Vit C serum but haven't decided which one. Also Ice Elements is intruging to me. I like products that have a natural delivery system for there serums. I wish I had started in my late 20's and never smoked.
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I started noticing about a year ago. Guess I would have noticed sooner but like someone said tanning covers up alot of imperfections, while it is actually making them worse. I stopped tanning (okay, I go occasionally if something is coming up, maybe three of four times so my self tanner blends better when I apply it, and I cover my face up with a shower cap. hehe, I know stupid)
I noticed the uneven pigment on my face when I stopped tanning and the fine lines starting to appear under my eyes. Also the lines on my chest appeared. I contribute the lines on my chest getting finer and less noticable to vit.c and photolagen. Now you can't hardly see them unless you are really close and really trying. Also, I sleep in my back most often now. I wish I didn't smoke and never tanned.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Unfortunately I started noticing signs of aging when I was about 27. I think my face has aged pretty quickly although no one else says so. I have 3 lines above my mouth (like extended lip wrinkles going up towards my nose/cheek), about 4 lines below my mouth (from cheek biting), one really deep smile line (the other is pretty normal I guess), and a few forehead lines but I don't really care about them. I also have a couple of neck rings but they don't bother me much either although I do still try to take care of them.

I just think for my age, and from looking at friends my age, that I have way too many lines. I did tan every summer until aboutlast year, but the last couple of years I stopped tanning my face since I developed a type of pre-cancerous skin lesion above my lip. I've had the area frozen twice now and there is still a bit left. That is another reason I want to try the new Rhytec Portrait plasma treatment. I HATE the lines around my mouth and I have never smoked in my life. I did go to a lot of bars and was around second-hand smoke then, but so were my friends and they don't have this problem.
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I know how you feel tamgirl99. I look at my friends and compare myself. I find it easier to stay away from them, lol. Just kidding. But it does make me wonder why I look older. Actually, one girl in particular tanned and smoked like I did, and she has hardly any pore issues or pigmentation like I do. It really makes me mad. Laughing
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Razinkane, can I ask how old you are?

Also, my advice, take it or leave it: cut out the tanning entirely. I promise you you'll regret it later, and it's a guarantee it won't have any positive benefits. Just not worth it. But hey, I'm sure you know that already! Wink

I'm amazed by some of you women who are saying you didn't notice signs of aging until into your 40s!! Shock That's pretty impressive.

I agree that it "depends on how hard you look," but I definitely have some signs of aging already at the age of 25, and I would say this year is the year that I will remember as when my skin started making a distinct change.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I noticed the "signs" around my mid forties, but think this may also be genetic. My Mother who is 75 still has very smooth cheeks and has a few wrinkles around her eyes and mouth. My Father who just turned 80 has been mistaken for late 60's or early 70's. At 52, I still have only very fine lines around my eyes and the rest of face is pretty smooth, but I do attribute this to using great skin care even though I did my share of tanning back in the day. Waaaay back! My HG - SUNSCREEN!! Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
laine wrote:
I guess it would be 31. I have laugh lines & lines on my forehead that have been there forever. But, I'm always laughing & smiling Very Happy Life is meant to be enjoyed Exclamation

Very Happy Awww!! that's awesome, that really made me smile. (lines and all, heh).

I first noticed lines under my eyes when I was about 31. I am now 32 and notice them WAY more. I wish in my 20s I had:

*Applied sunscreen to my face and chest every single day
    *Wore sunglasses all the time (to prevent squinting)
    *Applied anti-wrinkle cream starting from about age, oh I don't know, 13 or so? Laughing
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I just turned 28. I know tanning is bad. I tanned for years in a booth, taking off when I was pregnant of course, so I would say a total of 6 years, every three or four days. I think tanning is most of my problem. Its just that my legs are so darn white. I use self tanner and it goes on nicely everywhere but my chicken legs. Very Happy It atleast blends it a bit when I go tanning but I hardly go anymore anyways. I couldn't stop thinking about my face when I am in there, but my sister goes and I envy how she looks with a tan.
The thing is, I see all these things wrong with my skin and all and my husband and everyone else can't see anything wrong. They think I shouldn't be putting all these things on my face, creams and masks and such. ??? So, I don't know.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
razinkane wrote:
I just turned 28. I know tanning is bad. I tanned for years in a booth, taking off when I was pregnant of course, so I would say a total of 6 years, every three or four days. I think tanning is most of my problem. Its just that my legs are so darn white. I use self tanner and it goes on nicely everywhere but my chicken legs. Very Happy It atleast blends it a bit when I go tanning but I hardly go anymore anyways. I couldn't stop thinking about my face when I am in there, but my sister goes and I envy how she looks with a tan.
The thing is, I see all these things wrong with my skin and all and my husband and everyone else can't see anything wrong. They think I shouldn't be putting all these things on my face, creams and masks and such. ??? So, I don't know.

Wow, I think your my other twin (Mabsy is still in question!) Laughing Although I did give up tanning completely over a year ago. I'm still trying to get the self tan thing down...stupid white chicken legs!
goldie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure when I exactly started showing signs of aging. Since I have pretty much always had to deal with blemishes & acne to varying degrees throughout my adult life, I think my focus was more on that rather than aging until I hit 40 -- I'm now 42.

While I do have some laugh lines, those aren't too major and don't bother me as much as the fact that I began to notice the pores on my nose more. Thanks to the members of this board I am now using the DR H Cleansing Cream. That stuff is wonderful and I'm starting to see some results after 1 1/2 weeks of use.

Also, I have a vertical line extending up from my upper lip that really bugs me. This is as a result of sleeping on my side. One thing that I have found that helps with this (besides sleeping on my back, which I just can't do) is using Frownies. They really work if I use them on a regular basis. Unforunately, by the time I get to the end of my nightime skin care routine, I just don't want to deal with sticking one of those things on my face -- I know I shouldn't be so lazy when it helps.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
I started to have eyebagging and some jowling around 40. I am much better now at 51 so
I'm sure that diet and topicals help. I do love sun but am more faithful in applying sunscreen often.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I had always looked young for my age whatever it was probably due to fact I had really big cheeks (nicknames growing up were "chipmunk cheeks" and "monkeymouth" Mad ) When I was 36 some younger co-workers had found out my age and were in disbelief when an older woman I worked with chimed in and said to me, "Well, daaahhhling, the aging process doesn't begin until you're 40!" Those words came back to haunt me on my 40th b'day, I swear! That was four years ago, and that's when I started taking better care of my skin Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I had age spots on the side of my face before I was even in my 20s. It's so crucial to wear sunblock. Now I have lines under my eyes and on my forehead. Sad
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
Well, if you don't count freckles, I started with SK's in my 40's. Mid to late 40's sagging and jowls. Early 50's under eye puffiness and circles. Late 50's brown spots and starting to get lines under eyes and I also am developing a 1 instead of 11's Laughing Not so bad for a very fair skinned person.

I wished they'd developed some real s/s much sooner. In the US we still don't have very good s/s. I wish I'd discovered Retin-A sooner. Only been using it a year next month.

I've worn large-lensed sunglasses since my late teens and did my best to avoid the sun. I'm kind of a nut about it. I even worked 11 PM to 7AM for years and years so I could sleep during the day.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I would say age 33... I seem to recall spending yet another day at the beach without sunblock and looking in the mirror when I got home... noticing for the first time that I was tanning unevenly on my face... later learning that I had hyperpigmentation on my forehead. I feel like my skin never really recovered from that summer... the tan faded unevenly and seemed to leave behind (or make me pay more attention to) the lines developing on my face. I am still blessed with good tone and a young neck, but now my chest is showing the damage. If I could do it all again, I would never, ever, have tanned. Ever.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Very good topic, thought i would give it a boost!
Emma_Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Razinkane, I'm not a fan of tanning booths myself, but I used to know a girl who would use them but put a towel over her face to protect it. I guess then you would have to use self-tanner or something on your face so that you would match. Also, it wouldn't protect you neck and chest, which also tend to show early signs of aging.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |