Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical and acne
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:00 am      Reply with quote
help!!! i'm actually one of the people who has been seeing beautiful results from ISC. my pores are much smaller, skin more uniform, firmer, etc. but, and here's the big but -- it's definitely breaking me out (and those *really* stand out because the rest of my skin looks so good). i'm using Pro-Heal in the morning and have been reading little bits from former users that used to love the stuff, but that the last batch seems to be different. could this be the culprit? has anyone followed up with the IS Clinical people? where did everybody buy their last bottle?

my face was actually pretty breakout free before i started using this which is why i wanted to step it up a level.... i'd really like to keep using these products, but I'm getting pretty anxious here.

thank you in advance!
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:21 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I'd love to hear the follow-ups for the change of texture of Pro-heal too. I plan to order Active and Pro-heal as recommended but the posts about the texture change really make me hesitate. I'm afraid I can't tolerate the thicker texture esp. in the morning. Wink
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
I have oily skin, pro-heal feels oily to me. I don't like oily serums. I prefer superserum which is like water. Pro-heal contains vit. E. Vit. E is not usually kind to oily & break-out prone skin. The retinol in it is negligible. I see this serum as great for redness & the rosacea prone, but not for oily skins. I remember trying skinceuticals c& e & not liking the texture & had a couple of breakouts.I love ISC & I'm gettting great results, esp. with super, active & firming. I just don't get the marketing behind the pro-heal.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I have e-mailed and called IS directly several times and they assure me the difference is "my imagination". After using 3 bottles, I know when it feels different but I am obviously not a professional. It burns a little now when I put it on and my skin is drier and i use lotion with it.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I was recommended Pro-heal for improving skin texture and evening out skin tone. I have combo skin and my skin tends to get oily during summer. So I'm not sure whether I should get Pro-heal as recommended.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:50 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I have e-mailed and called IS directly several times and they assure me the difference is "my imagination". After using 3 bottles, I know when it feels different but I am obviously not a professional. It burns a little now when I put it on and my skin is drier and i use lotion with it.

Hi AnnieR, do you notice any difference in the results/effectiveness from the 3 bottles? How are they different in texture?
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
interesting. Pro-Heal was recommended for cystic acne and yet.... AnnieR, are you breaking out from it or just mislike the new formulation?

i do, luckily, have a sample vial of Super Serum so i guess i'll try that. (marina -- are you acne prone?) if that doesn't work, i'll have to give up the Active Serum as well as i can't use the treatments that were helping keep the acne at bay during the day. sigh. i so wanted this to work and the fact that it does on so many levels makes the it so much harder to give up. Sad
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:13 am      Reply with quote
I have oily/dehydrated acne prone skin and have been using the Proheal serum (sample) for 17 days and am starting to suspect that it is causing breakouts. I stopped using benzoyl peroxide almost 6 weeks ago and was wondering if my face would break out and it is but I am not sure if it is due to stopping the BP. I have gotten 4 pimples around my nose and eyebrows and I normally do not break out in that area and had not been using the BP in that area. I have been doing a half face test of the Proheal and I have 4 pimples on the no-Proheal side and 5 pimples on the Proheal side but if I look closely all of the pimples are where I apply the Proheal (it is hard to do exactly half a face). I just bought a full size of the Proheal and am wondering if I should have. I guess it is too early to tell if the Proheal is causing the breakouts or not but I will keep you posted!
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I don't break out frequently-but when I do-they're the big ones that take a long time to surface, then a longer time to go away and THEN a scar is born or worse, a pitted scar. I have a sample of pro-heal. I tried it only once & can't attest to it's acne fighting abilities. I just didn't like the oily texture. I prefer the superserum which just absorbs instantly & leaves no residue. Look with all you guys & unending recs. (the latest being photolagen), I need something that layers easily. Now if you use the serum alone, with only sunblock on top, the the pro-heal may work very well. It boils down to personal preference. Try the samples. I do, however, stand by my initial statement that I can't see how vit. E can be beneficial to cystic acne.

BTW, was very surprised to find pro-heal green. I do like the addition of olive oil . If I had normal/dry skin that was easily irritated, I would definitely use the pro-heal. I don't know how it can help cystic acne, but I remember reading posts claiming just that,

Bottom line, get sampls-EDS has them since the line is fairly recent-& use the one you feel most comfortable with.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
interesting. Pro-Heal was recommended for cystic acne and yet.... AnnieR, are you breaking out from it or just mislike the new formulation?

i do, luckily, have a sample vial of Super Serum so i guess i'll try that. (marina -- are you acne prone?) if that doesn't work, i'll have to give up the Active Serum as well as i can't use the treatments that were helping keep the acne at bay during the day. sigh. i so wanted this to work and the fact that it does on so many levels makes the it so much harder to give up. Sad

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood but active serum is only for nightime use & I can certainly attest to it's acne fighting abilities.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:52 am      Reply with quote
marina wrote:
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood but active serum is only for nightime use & I can certainly attest to it's acne fighting abilities.

i have been using Pro-Heal during the day and Active Serum at night. I really like the Active and don't believe it's causing my breakouts. however, i don't think it's been clearing them up either which is why i'd need to move back to night-time use of products that *do* clear my acne.

i've been using the products (the whole line) for about two months so im not a complete newbie and, as i've said, love the difference it has made in my skin EXCEPT for the acne. i would like to continue using it, but i need some suggestions/modifications to get my skin clear again.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I do not like the new texture as much but can't tell whether the breakouts are from the proheal or not. I had an IPL about 3 weeks ago and a rash as a reaction to shellfish so right now it's a toss up until my skin calms down, it's so over sensitive. It could be a repurging process after not using it for a few weeks following the IPL and rash. But the new formula does burn slightly and I never seemed to experience that before (maybe stronger?).
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I had previously used Proheal for quite a while and found the texture very oily but it sank in extremely quickly with no residue and stopped all breakouts. I find the latest version more watery, no where near as oily and stings when I apply it. Actually it isn't really a sting but it makes me feel like I want to scratch my face or rub it very hard to remove the sting/itch. And it is an instant breakout in a bottle unfortunately. I only have to look at Super serum to break out. Must just be my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bushy, when and where did you buy your latest bottle of Pro-heal?
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have been meaning to post a product review on the Proheal.
I started using the Proheal when my sensitive, acne prone skin had become very irritated and was quite bad. I recall my skin breaking out in a few bumps in the first few weeks of using the Proheal Serum. In no less than 2 months my skin was CLEAR!! I kept using the product for the next 5 months and my skin was so clear I got compliments on a regular basis.

Being the product junky that I am I stopped using the Proheal, and started using more of the Dr.Hauschka products. Ofcouse my skin started to break out again.

I recently re-purchased the Proheal in anticipation that it would clear up my skin.

The texture is definitly different, the colour is more green and my skin on my forhead (the area that was already broken out) has gone crazy!! I am sticking to it, as I have a feeling my skin will eventually clear up.

Please let me know if any of you are experiencing breakouts that do not stop?? Or if anyone has received any info from the company??

I hope the formula has not been altered, as it did such an amazing job of keeping my skin clear.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Feliz wrote:

I recently re-purchased the Proheal in anticipation that it would clear up my skin.

The texture is definitly different, the colour is more green and my skin on my forhead (the area that was already broken out) has gone crazy!! I am sticking to it, as I have a feeling my skin will eventually clear up.

Please let me know if any of you are experiencing breakouts that do not stop?? Or if anyone has received any info from the company??

I hope the formula has not been altered, as it did such an amazing job of keeping my skin clear.

How long have you been using Pro-heal for the second time?

Hope your skin will clear up eventually! Wink
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Feliz wrote:

Please let me know if any of you are experiencing breakouts that do not stop??

wave me. i thought it was perhaps purging, but it doesn't seem to stop.... after what bushy said about the Super Serum, i'm reluctant to try that now. so, for the first time in two months, i didn't put it on this morning. i'll try to whip my skin back into shape, then go from there.... i was so hoping it would be the miracle it was for you, but i'm now convinced that they've definitely changed something. sigh.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:04 am      Reply with quote
CK, I think I purchased it around April this year. I have pm'd you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:48 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your info. Very Happy
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I dont know if this will help but I just posted a new topic about epidermx giving me beautiful, even toned, small-pored skin but it broke me out eventually- in underground nodular acne. I really can't help wondering if it has something to do with having oily/dehydrated and acne-prone skin that can't be treated harshly!
IS clinical seem like a strong products to me, so I wonder if your breakouts are due to skin trauma Smile I don't know, I'm not a doctor, I'm just speculating, because you and I are not the first to have breakouts after using strong products
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
HeavenLeigh I just answered your other post as well.

In the case of Proheal I don't think that skin trauma would be the cause of the breakouts but perhaps over exfoliation. I read recently (unfortunately I don't remember the source) that acne prone individuals should not use Vitamin C serums containing L-ascorbic acid because they have a low pH and cause exfoliation that will worsen acne. I wonder if this fits in with what some of you have been saying. You are using new bottles of Proheal that now cause stinging (could be a sign of an even lower pH) and also cause breakouts. Could it be that the new Proheal batches have a lower pH which is causing too much exfoliation? I have no idea if this is really what is happening, just thinking out loud, but it could be possible. I don't imagine anyone has been testing the pH of their Proheal serums all along to see if this it true!!

Edit: before I get all sorts of replies on this please note that I am not saying exfoliation is bad for acne, in fact some types of exfoliation can be beneficial apparently, but I am just saying that I read that the exfoliation caused by Vitamin C can be bad for acne. I don't even know if that is true but thought that I would throw it out as a possibility.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Haven't tested my ph but finally back to using it everyday and my skin has adjusted. I ordered this last bottle in April from EDS and the others came from theskincareinstitute last year (those were the first) and the color was closer to the super serum color, amber. This last one from EDS was green in a green bottle and was definately different. I wonder if everyone else who has noticed the difference ordered theirs from EDS and we all got the same batch? It's doing fine now, no more breakouts. My only other concern was that I had tried Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum at night at around the same time, and I know that made me breakout and peel. I stopped and started that 3 times and it is now a no-no for sure. When I try differant things, it makes it too hard to pinpoint, so that's why I don't really think it is the Proheal at all, just maybe my skin re-adjusting as a reaction to something else. After all, I used it for over a year w/ great skin!
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
What about if you used a lower vit c. Like say instead of 20 do 10 or something, will the lower ones cause as much exfoliation?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
razinkane the thing about Vitamin C exfoliation and acne was just a thought, it may not be the case at all!

Proheal is 15% l-ascorbic acid, so a 20% one would not be a lower strenght it would be higher. I honestly don't know if less would cause less exfoliation. The amount of exfoliation depends on the final pH of the product and not just the amount of vitamin c. I do know that Skinceuticles recommends their 10% Vitamin C serum (as opposed to their 15% and 20% C serums) for acne prone skin. What this means, I do not know!

I myself am going to stick with my Proheal experiment. Both Feliz and AnnieR mentioned that they experienced and adjustment period and I hope that is all that is happening with me and that it is not the Proheal formula.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting information posted above!!

I have been using Proheal for a week now, yet the breakouts were not like a few bumps. They are extreme - basically covering most of my forehead - thank God I have long bangs(which normally have not irritated my pores). The rest of my face is 100% clear minus a patch on my cheek. I think perhaps the Proheal Serum is exfoliating the clogged pores in that area, this would make sense with the above info on PH. I think the lower doses of L Ascorbic are more acidic and the higher are more alkaline....acne is aggravated by alkaline, while dry/normal skin is okay. Bacteria proliferate in alkaline conditions and are killed by a more acidic environment. This same idea applies with the DH Cleasing cream..maintaining the acid mantle of the skin keeps it more acidic.

Regardless I will keep on the products for a month adn see if there is any change!!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |