Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Not large pores, but CLOGGED pores
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I've had a problem with clogged pores for as long as I remember. My pores are actually pretty small but they are always, always clogged, so that makes them visible.

Extractions tend to irritate my skin and even when the pores are completely cleared, the next day I will wake up and they're full again.
No product I have found so far helps, either (from over-the-counter pore refiners to Retin A to gylcolic products).

I think I can just live with this flaw, but on the off-hand someone knows of a solution to this problem, I'd like to hear it.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Janis I had the same problem as you. Since I have been getting glycolic acid peels at my dermatologists, I no longer have this problem. I have been considering stopping the peels for several reasons but the lack of clogged pores is the main reason why I continue to do them!

BTW just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I am not talking about the small white bumps (milia) which unfortunately the peels have not helped with but just ordinary clogged pores.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:33 am      Reply with quote
It's a constant battle isn't it. Crying or Very sad

The one thing that's helped me is Differin gel. It's a retin-a type drug but targets different receptors in your skin. It's RX in the US but you can get it on line without a RX. It costs just under $50 and lasts for months.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
donnababe it is very interesting how we each react differently to products. I have been using Differin gel for 8 years and while it has done wonders for my acne and helped with clogged pores somewhat, it wasn't until I started the glycolic peels that I noticed a major improvement with my clogged pores.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa,

Our skin does react differently! Differin Gel is the best thing I've found so far.

I'm always willing to learn more, and very happy to. Very Happy Tell us more about glycolic peels. What does it cost? What percent have you found effective? Do you have to work up to it? Is there down time? Anything else you'd like to share.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
donnababe I currently get 70% glycolic acid peels done once a month for $50 each. You do have to work up to that strength. I started with 30% (I have pale skin, darker skin types should start with 20%) then every two weeks you can increased the strength by 10% if you are tolerating it properly. They work it so you do a series of 6 peels two weeks apart then go to once a month. I really can't say what strength would have the benefit of reducing clogged pores, during the initial series of peels you sort of work up so fast that it is hard to tell which strength really works best. Sometimes I wonder if a lower strength would have sufficient benefits. Offhand I would say after the first 60% peel I really noticed a difference. I first started getting the peels because of the milia and unfortunately the peels did nothing for those. Usually one or two milia will be removed by each peel but they are of course replaced by others! I do not have any wrinkle issues so I cannot comment on that. It seemed like in the beginning my skin felt baby soft after it would peel but I really don't experience that anymore. The unclogged pores is to me the only real benefit anymore.

Basically the peels are a hassle. My skin is red/pink for about 24 hrs. afterward and I oftentimes end up with raw spots and/or brown sort of scab like skin in certain areas, when this happens I really feel horrible about going out in public. The scab like skin will peel in a few days and look fine (it actually looks pretty good) but the raw spots leave a pink mark behind that takes months to heal. Even if there are no raw spots or brown scabs there is still the flakiness and peeling skin which make it impossible to wear makeup for a few days! I am also starting to wonder if the peels might be responsible for acne cysts that I always seem to develop 9-10 days post-peel.

Wow, I am making this sound horrible. I guess right now I am really weighing the benefit v. the costs and trying to determine if I should continue. I might try having the peels done less often or possibly going down in strength to see if I still get the clear pores benefit. I am beginning to think that it might have been best to just do the series since I noticed the most improvement after the first few months. I might even stop all together and see how my skin looks. It is possible that I think that the improvement is bigger than it really is. I am really undecided at this point!

Hope you don't mind my ramble. Janis I hope you don't mind me "hijacking" your post.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, there is one more benefit to the peels. The pink marks I have left over after my pimples heal fade quicker with the peels!
thatgirlangie
5% products discount

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and this is my first reply. I have tried Differin gel and glycolic acid peels. They are both too drying and harsh for my extremely sensitive, yet acnegenic skin.

I've found the only moisturizers that don't clog my pores are olive oil and hazelnut oil. At night I use olive oil (it's more moisturizing), and in the morning, before applying my mineral makeup (a definite God-send!) I use the more balancing Hazelnut oil. When I wake up in the morning my pores are clear, my skin is soft, and throughout the day I have no dryness or shine or blockage.

Another thing is cleanser. I am very compulsive about my face, but I realized that if I am too harsh with it, it will not only produce more oil, but my skin cells cannot shed fast enough to keep up, and there is more blockage. So, I keep it simple. I have used many expensive cleansers, natural cleansers--you name it! The best I've found is Clearasil Daily Blackhead Control Cleanser which contains salicylic acid and sea salts. The salicylic acid aids in cell shedding and regeneration (obliterating pore blockages!), and the sea salts actually lock in moisture, keeping the cleanser from over-drying.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Teresa. Very informative.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Janice,

I haven't used glycolic peels yet but i have the same problems as you--hate them clogged pores. I use biore strips on my nose and cheeks as well as forehead and chin. wherever they fit basically. and i also use peel off masks--shiseido used to make an awesome one but they have been discontinued so now i use DHC's peel off mask which is awesome btw--i never expected it to be as strong as shiseido's. and i recently ordered laneige's peel off pore mask but have yet to try it. if your skin is sensitive, you should try a patch test.
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Janis,
I used to have this problem, too. I started using Carekate's Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial Mask (see DIY thread for the recipe) and noticed it really helps keep my pores clean. (I add Tea Tree Oil, Lemon Essential Oil, and Kaolin Clay to mine.) I use it every evening because if I don't, my pores get clogged. BTW--I have very oily skin so using this mask so often doesn't dry out my face. It's the best thing I've found so far for this problem!
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot to mention--my pores get clogged on a daily basis, so in addition to using the Super-Sonic mask mentioned above every day, [sorry to have to be so graphic/gross] I have to use a 10X magnification mirror and manually clean out (extract the gunk) from my pores. I know this is not recommended, but I've found that a little squeeze here and there followed by a thorough cleansing hasn't been a problem and is really a necessity for my skin type. If I don't stick with the mask AND the manual pore cleaning every day, my pores get too clogged! Crying or Very sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I have congested skin and I go to the steam room about every 3 days to open up my pores and clear out the impurities. It has really helped with my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |