Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does Avene Sunscreen Give You Acne?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I am trying out a bottle of the Avene sunscreen 50+ and I recently broke out in terrible acne. I don't know if this is the culprit. Has anyone else had acne issues with this particular sunscreen even though it is supposed to be noncomedogenic? It is still like a rich cream. I really have to find a sunscreen for outdoors so I need a really high and stable protection, but is acne the tradeoff?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have this too and yes it is very thick, I actually prefer the SPF40 for my face.
Whist I have never broken out using the SPF50, my SO did, he prefers using Nivia.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:33 am      Reply with quote
which one are you using? Avene has several different ones and the cream is definitely very heavy. my favourite is the SPF 50+ Spray. it doesn't seem to break me out and i'm very prone.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:59 am      Reply with quote
rosebud, that is very interesting. Is your SO prone to breakouts like I am? I'm not oily, just never clear.

la vie en rose, I am using the spray too. I haven't heard anyone mention breakouts from this, yet, which is why I am asking for feedback. It could be something else.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
la vie en rose, I am using the spray too. I haven't heard anyone mention breakouts from this, yet, which is why I am asking for feedback. It could be something else.

are you using a serum, moisturiser, or some kind of buffer underneath it?

p.s. for 'city use' i just started with the Clarins UV 40. it's much lighter and nicer on the skin, especially under makeup. it hasn't broken me out either (knock on wood) and i am very prone.... when i'm really out and about in the sun, though, i do use the Avene -- i just really try to put some sort of barrier under it to protect myself.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Well, I do use water based serums but have specifically tried to avoid using anything that would be a barrier because my understanding so far is that the tinosorb doesn't work unless absorbed into the skin. That may be a good idea, though.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
i may be committing some huge sunscreen faux pas, but i *always* try to keep a barrier between my skin and the sunscreen and it still seems to be working so....

anyways, found this thread on MUA. one of the people mentioned that the spray caused contact dermatitis because of the fragrance. perhaps that's it? http://makeupalley.com/board/m.asp/id=33074683/iPN=1/

BTW: since you're breakout prone, i definitely don't recommend the creme sans parfum. far too heavy for our skin. no fragrance, but clogged my pores like mad!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
me again. (thought i was done, huh? Laughing ) just went to wash my face and realised (mid-massage) that i forgot to ask you about that. the heavy duty euro sunscreens need to be removed thoroughly or they *will* break you out.
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have the Avene "Very High Protection Lotion" with SPF50 and will use it only when I'm going to stay outside for a while during a sunning day. The texture is pretty rich and I'll apply it after the moisturizer. I have oily T-zone and dry cheek, but it doesn't break me out so far.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ocha,
Yeah, hubby and I go out alot during the summer, biking, kayaking, etc. so whatever I decide on I'll be using alot of.

La vie en rose,
Thanks for your suggestions. I am currently using the clarisonic and the Yonka Gel cleanser that says it also removes makeup. I wonder if this is doing the job, though.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:08 am      Reply with quote
removing makeup and removing makeup on top of the thicker sunscreens is another story. i think with SS you need to use a pre-cleanse oil or it just kind of stays around forever, possibly layering. Shock the Clarisonic brush looks wonderful (sigh, no european voltage), but could it possible be pushing the SS into your pores? also, morning use may be a bad idea as it helps facilitate absorbtion of whatever you put on your face afterwards -- in your case, sunscreen.... just a thought to maybe only use it at night and use some sort of oil beforehand.

another layering trick i learned for heavy duty protection during physical activities (cycling, hiking, etc.) is to use (don't laugh here) Erno Laszlo Shake-It *after* my moisturiser but *before* the sunscreen. it helps mattify and protect the face and seems to make the SS last longer and work better. i don't do it on a daily basis, but i swear it's saved my face when i've been cycling and sweating and have no time to reapply SS as much as necessary.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
La vie en rose,
Thanks so much for trying to help me figure this out. I have never heard of "shake-it". Also, I hardly wear makeup and I only use the clarisonic in the evenings, so still thinking your ideas about the cleanser is a good one to look into. May I ask what is your cleansing routine?
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:59 am      Reply with quote
my cleansing routine is *very* dull compared to most users here. i'm using so many actives on my face that i just need to be gentle with this process. (i am, however, seriously dying to try the Cellcosmet line!)

i put oil on my face -- straight kukui nut or Erno Laszlo, though there seem to be a ton of pre-cleanse oils, like Babor and Dermolalogica, that have gotten raves. (i haven't tried OCM as i think it would just be too much for me.) seriously i think any oil would work -- it's just a necessary step to getting off the thick euro sunscreens. then i lather my IS Clinical cleanser in my hands, apply to my oily face, and rub it all about. if i've worn really heavy MU that day, i'll massage just a bit longer. then i rinse forever (i'm a former Laszlo girl and still even revert to their Sea Mud Soap when my skin is going mad). after that, i spritz my face with Avene Thermal Water and let it air dry. that's it.

i had to stop using toner when i started using the IS Clinical line. my face was just feeling so gross one day i cheated and that's when i saw that the cleanser alone wasn't getting everything off. i know alot of people use flannels for their face, but that added friction just seems to break me out. (plus my BF stills them to do god knows what.... very small bathroom.)

in the morning i just use the cleanser, no oil, and am looking into getting a gentler one for that as the ISC can be a little to stripping. i'm currently trying Caudalie's Foaming Cleanser and it seems quite nice.

see? i'm boring! it's just that i have dehydrated, breakout-prone skin with an oily t-zone and found that less is more. when i've backpacked or rockclimbed in the past, i've used only cetaphil wiped off and a Laszlo alcohol-based toner -- my skin never looked better. Very Happy hope this helps.

p.s. you might want to check out Lucia's rave of L'Oreal Solar Expertise SPF50+ http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114734#114734
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
I used Avene SPF 40 last summer, and although it did not break me out , it did clog my pores and cause a little milia on my cheek area. Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I'm so glad we are talking about this as my skin type is very similar to yours, except my t-zone has normalized as I get older. I also find that less is more and simpler is better for me too *sigh* As far as gentle cleansers, my skin like phytomer gentle milk cleanser.

I wonder...do you think jojoba oil would work as a precleanser? hmm

Thanks for the info on the L'Oreal sunscreen. I am taking all of my info from the MakeupAlley notepad which is very informative.
http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens

They agree it is a good sunscreen, but it has a lower PPD compared to the Avene 50+ spray and the Bioderma Max 50+ Fluid I am trying today. I may consider this L'Oreal one for everyday use or rainy days - Lots of those here. Laughing

I noticed that the Avene spray sinks in better, but both are shiny. I also emailed the Bioderma company to ask them how much of their product to use on the face.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
None of the various Avene sunscreen formulae I've used have ever caused acne, and I've even used the Lait SPF 50+ (for face and body) on my face and it's thick and nearly marine-grade. Now that it's warmer, I'm back to the SPF50+ Spray. I even layer it over either SC CE Ferulic or (now) SC Serum 20 AOX (no Vit.E, but it's still a little sticky). Then I apply makeup -- no foundation, but I use concealer, blush and powder. Still, no acne. Plus, the Avene sunscreens don't contain alcohol, so they don't make my eyes sting. In fact, I find the Spray soothing when my skin is irritated from retinoid or AHA use. Must be that Avene thermal water!

But as everyone has already stated, thorough cleansing is a must! I spend so much on treatments that I skimp a little on cleansers: I'd always used Cetaphil which isn't tough enough to remove these sunscreens. But now there's a Cetaphil cleanser for normal to oily skin that works well for me.

Also, when it's really humid and powder doesn't work well enough to get rid of the shine, I've discovered that Smashbox Anti Shine Anti Brilliance really mops up the oiliness. I just squirt a little on my fingertips, rub, and then pat it over my t-zone. It's much better than powder, which can get cakey with repeated dustings. But if it's not too humid, I use Jurlique Lavender Dust instead.

Perhaps someone with larger pores may have problems with these oilier sunscreens, but I'm 54 and not quite as oily as I used to be -- my skin is combination normal/oily. I still get blackheads around my nose but this has always been the case, even before I switched to Avene.

I often get samples from DHC -- I don't know why but they keep sending them to me. I must say their olive oil cleanser is good and gets the job done without leaving an oily residue -- even without rinsing endlessly. Their olive oil soap is good too. So for those who don't want to have to wash off OCM with hot facecloths all of the time, the DHC olive oil cleanser may be something to try if oil cleansing is preferred. OCM is too much bother for me! But it would probably do a thorough job of removing Avene sunscreen, from what OCM aficianadas say.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:37 am      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
I wonder...do you think jojoba oil would work as a precleanser? hmm

i think *almost* any oil would work as a pre-cleanse -- you're trying to get stuff out of your skin, not in. are you thinking jojoba because it doesn't break you out? moi aussi, it's the only thing i put on my hair as a leave-in treatment for that reason. it's mighty expensive, though, to use for that. still, if you feel comfortable with it, give it a go.

as for the 'rinsing endlessly' that's not really necessary, just my own neurosis. since i don't like using a flannel (and don't have the clarisonic brush), i just try to flush out my pores with water. it may do diddly, but it makes me feel better. Laughing

for rainy days and whatnot, i cannot rave enough about the Clarins UV 40 Lotion. absolutely gorgeous. unfortunately the PPD is pathetic and i am trying to lighten past sun damage so.... good luck on the Bioderma. let us know how it goes.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:47 am      Reply with quote
eeeewwww gross!!! if anybody would humour me on this, i would truly appreciate it. my spray bottle got clogged and i finally had to take the top off to try to clear it. figured as long as it was open, i'd put it on. there were *chunks* of something in the sunscreen!!! chunks like coarse grain salt. if anyone has a bottle of the Avene Spray 50+, can you open it and see if yours is chunky too? my bottle's not that old, but i've been travelling around with it a lot, and i'm wondering if i damaged it with extreme temperatures or if that's just the way it is?!?

thanks!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi La vie en rose

I think it's normal. I put some into a smaller bottle for travelling and I could see the grainy bits. You just don't normally notice because the bottle's opaque. Maybe you should shake it frequently. My hunch is it's the minerals chunking because they're white and chalky. - M
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Molly,

thank you. it makes me feel better.... i put it on anyways and the crystals seemed to disappear but i was just taken aback.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:03 am      Reply with quote
I also notice this with my Avene. It's quite grainy when I put it on (totally brand new!). I mean I can just feel minute particles. (there's no direction to shake, should I shake?) Unlike LRP w/c is very smooth. Jury's still out if I get to like this Sunblock... So far, I still like LRP better, the oilies can be wiped off. However with Avene, it's sticky on the skin still (at the end of the day) even if the oilies have been wiped off during the day..

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi JG
I don't think you're supposed to be 'wiping off the oilies' Did it still work after doing that? Maybe it's best to have sticky stuff stuck on you at least you know it's there.
I know your problem because I'm in the same kind of humidity, but wiping it off? Blot a bit maybe, but I'm told even that's naughty.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
(sighs)I know I know Smile I think as opposed to LRP, the Avene has more physical sunblock stuff Smile I try to blot with oil blotting paper Smile My Avene is the Emulsion with Anti-oxidants that is why I really want to like it. I just got the low SPF 20 since I am in the ofc the whole day Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
i think *almost* any oil would work as a pre-cleanse -- you're trying to get stuff out of your skin, not in. are you thinking jojoba because it doesn't break you out?

Yeah, I was thinking of the jojoba for that reason but decided to go a different route and very glad I did! I used my YonKa gel cleanser like an oil cleanser, massaging in and then wiping off with a warm washcloth. Then I used a foaming cleanser with my clarisonic and rinsed. Wow, my face is clean and soft!! Hooray! Thank you, ladies, for helping me to figure this out!

As for the Bioderma 50+ fluide, I don't see much difference between this and the Avene 50+ spray in terms of shine and the masky feel, but I do notice that the Bioderma is slightly less sticky. I patted some Monistate Chafing Gel on over it to cut the shine down a bit.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
pnw -- just be careful about over-cleaning. it may be wonderful now, but might start stripping the face. if it starts to feel a little tight, try the jojoba for a night or two. remember -- be gentle!

as for the Monistat, are you sure *that's* not breaking you out? yuk. i know people swear by it, but.... oh, who am i to talk? i've used Milk of Magnesia. Laughing

good luck! i'm off to scotland tomorrow for a few days so i won't be here to bore you. i'll be taking my Avene as i hear that the sun has actually been sighted there!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |