Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Best Mineral Liquid Foundation? And General MMU Questions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any recommendations for mineral liquid foundations and cream concealers?

I tried some of the sample powder mineral foundations and they just seem way too cakey. I could immediately see it and tell that it was on, so I washed it off immediately. I just don't think that powders work as well for me as liquids. They seem to pile up too much coverage and are not sheer enough. And also I really cannot tell the difference between the powder mineral foundations and the powder mineral concealers. They seem like the same thing exactly just in different colors. In fact the sample of powder foundation I got worked better for concealing then the concealing sample.

I have tried samples of Miessence foundation and the colors were horrible. I couldn't even test the whole thing to see how the coverage or texture etc. was cause I just tested the color on my hand and my check and they were way off. Way too red and not even close to my skin tone. I tried the Vanilla and Honey.

I've also used the JI Circle Delete and it ends up being just too exp. for a product that I use up in only a month. Cause the #1 is the closest one for my skin tone, yet the darker shade of it works great, while the lighter shade is too light, even when mixed. So it goes to waste, except as an eyeshadow base. So I end up paying $30 just for the tiny bit of half of the jar of concealer.

I also tried the Organic Makeup Companies concealer and it was ok but extremely gritty and not smooth. I'm worried about ordering and trying Miessence's concerding the horrible colors of their foundation.

Is there a mineral concealer that really works well?

I'm also curious about the reviews of mineral makeup in general. I know they are not natural and are synthesised minerals in labs, but they seem better because they are simpler without a bunch of additional chemicals and preservatives, etc. But do they measure up to standard makeup? Sometimes I feel kind of envious looking at all the choices in regular makeup that people use and get to choose from. That wide range of such lovely colors and textures and cute packaging etc. Yet I couldn't feel comfortable knowing now what is in them and how sensitive I am. I just want to be able to replicate a whole makeup bag and kit with the right mineral makeup that can get the same results. The companies and products though just seem so all over the place. Not a lot of choices or ingredients I'd rather avoid. Or not pressed or in pencils etc. All these loose powders are kind of annoying. They are so freaking messy. I'd also love to find a line that uses just iron oxides and mica etc. and no titanium dioxide.
gottaHAVEitALL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:34 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for mineral liquid foundations and cream concealers?

I really enjoy Illuminare. They have 3 formulations: moisturizing, matte and semi-matte. I use the moisturizing because I have dry skin, but I've heard rave reviews for the 2 other formulations from people with oily skin.

However, you should know that Illuminare uses parabens in their foundations, so that may not be an option for you after all.

HTH!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote
i use Alima. i'm oily, acne-prone, and i like that "glowy" but not greasy look. but it reallly depends on your skin type and the finish that you like. How are you applying the foundation? Are you using a proper brush? Are you applying it with a light, even hand? The brush and application can make a HUGE difference. if you want only light coverage, try using a brush where the bristles aren't so dense, and make sure when you apply there is barely any visible powder on the brush before applying it to the face. This might help with the chalkiness. if you need more coverage in certain areas, just slowly build. It could also be that your skin is just not compatible with mineral foundations. You might try mixing the powder with your moisturizer to get a more sheer application, and instead get a tinted moisturizer. Also instead of washing off immediately because it looks cakey, let it sit on the skin for a few minutes so it sets and blends with your natural oils, or try a finishing powder.

As for concealers, they just are more pigmented than the regular foundations. you don't really NEED a mineral concealer. You can dampen a small concealer brush and dip it in you mineral foundation and you will get a nice cream concealer that is the same color as your foundation.

As for choices, i find there are tons of choices, you just have to know where to look. Companies have different ideas of what kind of makeup they want to sell. Natural vs. crazy/dramatic. I much prefer the loose powders, even though they are a little messier, because it allows me to adjust the colors to what i need/want. Being ethnic skinned, i sometimes need to adjust the foundation (for when I tan in the summer)--Many people's skin tone just aren't found right out of a box/bottle. i also like to play around with my blush and eye shadows to get some original colors.

like any new type of product that you are going to try out, MMU is trial and error. i hope you find what you are looking for.
Leana
5% products discount

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Am I the ONLY person who gets awful results with MMU? I have tried and tried and every one that I try makes my pores look clogged. I do not wear alot of make up, but I would like to be able to achieve a "finished" look - especially when I am dressed to impress.
lovelyjane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
Jane Iredale probably has the best mineral liquid foundation, but you have to apply with their own brush to get the best result.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Illuminare for years.

That stuff won't come off in sea water or sweat. I know ... I wore it during my wedding on the beach in 90degree Hawai'i.

Only problem is limited color range.

I tried Jane Iredale's liquid MMU at the Aesthetics Show in NYC. It was very light textured but I don't know how it holds in heat and humidity. I had a tradeshow discount but (as usual) my skintone started changing and I have no idea what color to pickup.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
I use Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals in Golden Glow, and have for almost 2 years. I am 25 years old and have dry, slightly-sensitive skin. I love the way the makeup absorbs into my skin instantly and gives it a matte finish, without making it look cakey. It has a very natural finish, in my opinion. Also, I love the fact that it is actually good for my skin and contains naturally-occurring SPF. I feel like I'm preventing some degree of premature aging by using it.

Drawbacks: it doesn't last very long (perhaps a month), and it is slightly pricey (about 50 USD).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
i use jane iredale liquid minerals in riviera, really liking it so far. i live in Malaysia so it's hot and humid pretty much all year long but so far am finding its staying power very good. but i use it very sparingly, almost like a concealer, just put a bit at the back of my hand and dab little by little on parts i want to conceal. it dries quickly so have to do it fast.
arkermott, you mentioned it doesn't last very long? now i'm a bit worried, because at the rate i'm going it'll probably take 3-4 months before i finish it off. how can i tell if it's gone 'bad'?
thanks!
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I was just looking at the Jane Ireland Liquid Minerals on EDS, and it looks like the bottle is full of little beads?
arkermott

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
cahoot wrote:
i use jane iredale liquid minerals in riviera, really liking it so far. i live in Malaysia so it's hot and humid pretty much all year long but so far am finding its staying power very good. but i use it very sparingly, almost like a concealer, just put a bit at the back of my hand and dab little by little on parts i want to conceal. it dries quickly so have to do it fast.
arkermott, you mentioned it doesn't last very long? now i'm a bit worried, because at the rate i'm going it'll probably take 3-4 months before i finish it off. how can i tell if it's gone 'bad'?
thanks!

To answer your question about whether or not it will go bad in 3-4 months because you are using it so sparingly, I think that it will keep fine. It should have an expiration date on the bottom of the bottle.or on the box. If you purchased from a retailer (rather than ebay) it's expiration date will be about a year to a year and a half from when you purchased it. Hope that helps!

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Diana P wrote:
I was just looking at the Jane Ireland Liquid Minerals on EDS, and it looks like the bottle is full of little beads?

Yes, that's the one. The beads consist of the color and minerals (called liposome capsules), and they're suspended in a clear solution of lavender water, aloe, and glycerin. Other ingredients include Q10, olive squalane, vitamin K, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C derivatives, Chamomile, and more.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
arkermott wrote:
Diana P wrote:

Yes, that's the one. The beads consist of the color and minerals (called liposome capsules), and they're suspended in a clear solution of lavender water, aloe, and glycerin. Other ingredients include Q10, olive squalane, vitamin K, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C derivatives, Chamomile, and more.

Do you shake it before each use to combine the ingredients?
arkermott

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Do you shake it before each use to combine the ingredients?[/quote]

No, you don't. It actually wouldn't mix in the tube because it's pressurized. When you pump it out, it's more or less even in consistency. If you want to be sure that it's well mixed, you can rub it between your fingers before applying, but I've never found this to be necessary.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Having tried the Jane Iredale liquid - I think the best way is the damp application of the powders - there is a thread somewhere. This gives a far better finish than the liquids I think. I like lumiesse and lauress best. Barefaced minerals also goood and quite cheap - but if you load up brush with powder - spritz with water and bufff into face creates great results (I think). Very Happy
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
When you start a new bottle you need to pump a few times. What comes out is a clear serum before it mixes. The rep was saying to use the serum on your face since it has all the beneficial ingredients.

Somehow I do horrible with damp mineral powders.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:59 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Rjez on Illumiare. It gives great results, but comes in too few colors.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I really, really want to try the Jane Ireland Liquid Minerals, but I have no idea what colour to get. How close are the online swatches to the actual colour? http://www.essentialdayspa.com/jane-iredale-liquid-miner-p_1724.htm
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Right now I'm lemming for liquid minerals by NCN, it looks lovely... This month I treated myself to lots of skincare products, next month I'll focus on makeup does the desire to try the next greatest thing never end? sigh....

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Why is Illumaire considered a Mineral Foundation? It has a lot of other ingrediants in it. Also, it contains "cones" which might be pore clogging for some. Shock
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |