Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Totally natural sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
What is the best brand for natural suncreen? I want it to be with titanium dioxide but not too oily or chalky (white).
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately they're all a bit white, 'tis the nature of the natural screens.

A lot of people here seem to like the Dr Hauschka or if you're in the UK Greenpeople do a good one.

HTH M
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Specifically one that will not break me out as I'm prone to acne.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I like Dr.Hauschka sunscreen spf 22 for children and sensitive skin. When I put it on, it feels a little bit oily, but only for 10-15 minutes. The white residue can be seen for a few minutes, but then it's kinda blend in. Moreover, I noticed that it calms down my skin during the day.(less redness)
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used the new Lavera "Anti-Aging Sun Screen SPF 20 Face"? I called them today and they suggested this one because it is very light and does not leave a white film.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:11 am      Reply with quote
jumpingball - Do you apply make-up after using the Dr Hauschka suncreen? I'm wondering whether mineral make-up would go on okay after it. Feeling pretty tempted to try it.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried it, but I noticed that the Organic Pharmacy has a sunblock which they say won't have that white effect - has something called "zinc clear" in it. I'm not sure how stable it would be though as the ingredients are all natural, I usually use products with chemical sunscreens like mexoryl.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Majorb,
I use Dr. Hauschka's spf20 sunscreen. It also goes on a bit white at first, but becomes more transparent within 5-10 minutes. I mix it with my Decleor moisturizer, by the way (equal amounts).

Then I use L'Oreal cover up stick and then Mineral makeup on top and it looks fine. Sunscreen doesn't make it look cakey. I end up with a very balanced look I'd say Smile
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Zinc Clear in Organic Pharmacy is a Nano/Micronized Zinc.

Dr. H I was going to get his but then I noticed that he uses alcohol and Aluminum in his sunscreens. In fact he puts alcohol in everything. Isn't that bad for your skin and drying? And what about Aluminum, it's a toxic heavy metal. I'd rather find a different organic sunscreen forumula. So far no luck. I haven't found a non-micronized/nanosized mineral sunscreen (I hate the word natural for lab created minerals), that doesn't contain a bunch of ingredients I don't want to use on my skin or absorb in my body, yet. Maybe it doesn't exist. Dr. H is the closest, but why does he have to put almunium in it? For what? I want zinc, not alumunium. To avoid the white find a microfine zinc and no titanium. I'm still questioning the microfine sizes, but I haven't found any conclusions yet. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10759815

Stay away from Aubrey's, it contains PABA. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=8405372

For those of you who use a sunscreen everyday, where do you apply it? When you get out of the shower do you slather it over your entire body? Seems like it would go fast?
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I always thought of Dr. H being a "her", not "him". Funny Smile made me read about him.

Frankly, I completely missed that part. Those 2 aluminums are the end and are hopefully present in very small amounts. Once i'm done with this tube, I'll be looking for something else then Sad

One of the aluminums used, Aluminum Stearate, has these uses:
"Aluminium Stearate is used as a lubricant in the production of polyamides and thermosetting plastics. It is used as a thickening agent in the production of varnishes and lacquers. It is also used as a water repellent agent and hydrophobic agent."

It's a metallic salt! Probably similar to the aluminum salt being used in antiperspirants. That's why this cream is water-resistant (for 90 minutes anyway).

Crap, really have to start looking for something else.

Before using this Dr. H sunscreen, I was using zinc oxide mixed with my regular daily cream. I may have to get back to that. The zinc I used is the baby ointment that only has zinc and starch in it. Titanium would be better, of course, because it filters both UVA and UVB. I wonder if Titanium oxide is sold in a similar paste form.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Arghhhhh!!!!!!!! I just started using the Dr. H sensitive children's sunscreen thinking I could trust the brand. *sigh* I can't believe it has aluminum in it!!

I'm sad to hear that because I like it. It feels good on my face and I think it has helped my skin. I have found it goes on pretty white (on my very pale skin no less!) so I convinced a sales lady to let me try a few drops of the bronze concentrate at home (I provided the bottle). I've heard people combine the two with happy results.

Thanks so much for mentioning the aluminum part -- I hadn't noticed it. Finding a great natural sunscreen is such a struggle. I wish I wasn't so fair....
elee123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:28 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the juice beauty spf 30 tinted moisturizer as the sunscreen. It's not greasy and it evens out the skin. It works for me and not expensive.
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:00 am      Reply with quote
The Lavera one sounds good. Lavera has won awards for their sun screens, so that must mean something... ?!

I have used the MyChelle Sun Screen and liked it. I think it is all natural....
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
This one was also recommended to me...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026CZD2/104-0828495-8502353?v=glance&n=3760901
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your help, pumaka. But it sounds as though BYRG's just put both of us off the Dr H! Laughing Shame, as it sounded good. Thanks for the warning, BYRG.

So the Lavera one, then, maybe? If anyone tries it, please let me know if it leaves your face shiny.
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Dr Hauschka does have aluminum in sunscreen, but it's listed as the last ingredients, so I think the amount of it is so tiny that wouldn't have any negative effect on the skin (anyway, a lot of people use antiperspirant with much more Al in it). IMHO. Smile
BTW, Does anybody have a list of Lavera s/s ingredients? I couldn't find it on their website.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:

So the Lavera one, then, maybe? If anyone tries it, please let me know if it leaves your face shiny.

I would also like to know this, thanks! Smile
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Here's the ingredient list for Lavera Sunscreen SPF 30:

Aqua, Glycine Soja*, Titanium Dioxide, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Alcohol, Glycerin, Polyglyceryl-3 Ricinoleate, Tricaprylin, Canola , Butyrospermum Parkii , Simmondsia Chinensis *, Magnesium Sulfate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Armeniaca *, Prunus Persica , Prunus Dulcis *, Calendula Officinalis *, Rosa Damascena*, Lavandula Angustifolia*, Xanthan Gum, Stearyl Beeswax, Behenyl Beeswax, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Betaglucan, Tocopherol, Alumina, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Stearic Acid, Parfum**, Citral**, Coumarin**, Geraniol**, Citronellol**, Limonene**, Linalool** * ingredients from certified organic agriculture; ** natural essential oils ph-value: 5.0-5.5. Water in oil emulsion.

Aluminum is also present (as Alumina, AKA Aluminum Oxide).
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
I hate how even the natural sunscreen is not 100% natural. Makes me angry! I'm going to looking more into Red Raspberry Seed Oil.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah it's really hard. I know it is listed close to the last ingredients but it must be included for a reason, and for that reason to work it has to be in a high enough quantity to be effective. I think I will write them and ask them why they put it in there and how much is in there. I'm sure you are right about it making it water resistant. I also didn't like the alcohol part because I just think that is kind of drying to the skin.

I for one am not convinced enough yet to get one with micronized minerals, but most people prefer them since it looks better on the skin. I did find this one sunscreen with good ingredients, except for that it uses micronized minerals. The packaging is really ugly, but it's the ingredients that's more important.

"Deionized water, apricot oil (organic), MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), sweet almond oil (organic), usnea extract (organic), vitamin E, calendula extract (organic), coconut wax, glycerine, tea tree oil, aloe extract 200:1 (organic), vitamin A, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin D3, micronized titanium dioxide, micronized zinc dioxide, essential oil of citronella. SPF 30+"
http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-bin/order/index.cgi?id=946519176406&d=single&item_id=1082&c=Beauty/Self_Care&sc=Skin_Care&tc=

I also have this one: http://www.suncarecentral.com/WhyUse.asp

It doesn't say it's organic but it's all natural. I don't think that it is micronized in anyway cause it goes on pretty white and leaves a bit of a white cast when you rub it in. Just warning you. Maybe I'll just start wearing more mineral makeup, looks better then a white cast face. Laughing

I have seen Zinc Oxide at the store for burns and minor skin irritations. Although I wouldn't know the SPF or how much to dilute it, esp. for all over the body not just the face.

Do you guys just put this stuff on your face or all over your body?
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
I have seen Zinc Oxide at the store for burns and minor skin irritations. Although I wouldn't know the SPF or how much to dilute it, esp. for all over the body not just the face.

Do you guys just put this stuff on your face or all over your body?

if it's the stuff i'm thinking of, it's pure white and very thick. to be effective, that's the way it should be applied -- thick and white. think of galoshes for the skin. i've only ever used it on my nose during spring skiing or at the height of summer on a boat. not attractive in the least, but it definitely works....
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Byrg,
they add Aluminum for waterproofing.

Mine (Dr. H spf20) says it's waterproof up to 1.5hrs. I only use it on my face.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
I heard this tip from Tyra Banks, LOL! She said that if you have darker areas of your skin that is uneven, when you are going to be in the sun, put extra thick sunblock on those spots and don't rub it in. I guess it would prevent it from getting any color that the rest of the skin is getting, so it would all be a bit closer in color. I don't know. Sounds interesting though.
sherianne

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am wondering if anyone else has tried this Sunblock and if so what they found.
So far I am very pleased with it and it hasn't upset my skin.

Lily of the Desert - SKINSAVING SUNBLOCK - SPF 16
www lilyofthedesert com/pages/public_products_list.asp?cat=skin+care

They also make an SPF 40.

It is probably not totally natural but many natural things have scary looking chemical names.
It lists only 4 active ingredients, one of which is their Organic Aloe Vera Gel which my skin totally loves so that leaves only 3 to worry about. I do wonder what else it contains so I will be phoning or emailing them soon to ask.

After cleansing with a little apple vegetable glycerin soap and patting my face dry I apply Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner, then one or two applications of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel and then this Sunblock. Then I use a tinted moisturizer and I'll stop there to avoid going off topic.

In the past I have rarely used sunscreen. I always manage to avoid excess sun exposure somehow. I do sun-bathe for about 70 minutes a day on a rooftop most sunny days in Toronto from March until late October and my face and hair are covered almost the whole time. Lately I have been out riding bicycle most days so I have begun to use sunscreen regularly for the first time really. Last summer I got the Aubrey Green Tea sunscreen for occasional use (mostly for a child) but it is way too hard to spread and until it is absorbed it is greenish white and just try getting on a child's face! I found it way too sticky.

This is what Lily of the Desert says on the label:

SPF16
SKINSAVING SUNBLOCK

Waterproof/Blocks for 2 hours
Recommended by dermatologists
Non-greasy, invisible
Protects against premature wrinkling
Economical for prolonged skin exposure
Contains organic Aloe Vera Gel
Perfect for all sun sports
Won't come off in water or with perspiration.

Directions:
Apply thoroughly to all exposed areas.
Allow 20 minutes before contact with water.
Washes off with soap.

Caution: For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes.

Active ingredients:
Certified Organic Aloe Vera
Benzophenone 3
Octyl Methoxycinnamate
Octyl Salicylate

On the front it says:
2 HOUR
BROAD SPECTRUM PROTECTION

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |