Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
difference between Probiotic and Acidophilus
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, anyone taking any of those? If so, what good does it do and what's the difference between the two since they're both good bacteria to the body. Thanks! Smile
vipichigo

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
acidophilus is a kind of bacteria that belongs to the category of probiotic. there are many kinds of healthy bacteria- acidophilus, casei, bifidum, plantarum... these bacteria are very beneficial to our body to help maintain our gastro intestinal tract healthy.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I often get an overgrowth of yeast Rolling Eyes so I stay on priobiotics regularly. They help keep me in balance and since I tend to have digestive problems they help me with that as well. I just found some new ones at Walgreens that have acid/bifidus in them and they are strawberry flavored chewable wafers. They were all they had in stock so I went ahead and bought them cause I had run out. Well, they turned out to be sooo yummy that I have a hard time eating only 3 at a time! Laughing
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Ditto what vipichigo said. And to add to that, I believe it is better to take a combination of probiotics and not solely acidophilus.

Stardustdy- I take probiotics to help control yeast proliferation (such as candida) and to help maintain healthy digestive functions.

TAMgirl99- be careful with what probitic supplement you buy and their form. I was told that the best you can buy is the kind that is refrigerated in the store and that has to be kept refrigerated simply because it keeps more bacteria alive and is thus more effective for you. There are forms that do not have to be refrigerated that are suitable for traveling etc. I asked about these when I was at the health food store a couple of months ago and I can't remember exactly what I was told ( Brick wall )... only that just to be careful about what brand I buy to guarantee effectiveness of live bacteria. I.e., I recommend checking this out further just to be informed... I will myself some day soon too. From one digestive problem sufferer to another I would hate for you to use an ineffective probiotic treatment. Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I also take acidophilus to control yeast. And amnis is right, the refrigerated kind is the best.
Also, anyone who has ever taken antibiotics would benefit from probiotics as antibiotics kill the "good" bacteria along with the bad.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
I take Probiotics daily. My main reason is that my Dad died of colon cancer very young. Probiotics are also know to keep ones skin free of acne when taken on a regular basis. These are all good reasons to take them:

decreases incidence of digestive ailments
improves digestive functions
improves bowel function
decreases incidence of stomach ailments
increases nutritional absorption
improves appetite Bad Grin (don't need this)
decreases incidence of bloating/heartburn
decreases incidence of constipation/diarrhea
decreases presence of yeast infection
decreases incidence of certain infections
improves liver function
improves circulatory function
improves joint and muscle function
improves resistance to allergies
improves sleep functions
improves vitamin synthesis
increases lactose tolerance
increases energy
decreases incidence of oral cavity infections
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Amen Winnie! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:58 am      Reply with quote
I'm a real strong advocate for probiotic boosting in our bodies.

I've tried various acidophilus supplements but don't find they work as well as a broad-spectrum probiotic supplement.

The one I am actually *really* loving now is the Inliven Probiotics, I've gone through about 3/4 of a bottle and the results have been ten times more spectacular and noticeable than just drinking organic yoghurt and taking acidophilus pills.

Also have to be care of some yoghurt/probiotic supplements that have sugar in them, it kind of defeats the purpose of the product. But I see it in most major brands.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
The one I am actually *really* loving now is the Inliven Probiotics, I've gone through about 3/4 of a bottle and the results have been ten times more spectacular and noticeable than just drinking organic yoghurt and taking acidophilus pills.

If possible, can you be more specific on the "spectacular results"? I'm going to have to look into these next time. And yes, I'm aware that not all probiotics are equal, but given that I'd just run out and didn't want to wait until I could make it to the health store and the ones I mentioned were all Walgreens carried, I figured they would at least tide me over until I could get the good ones. I think I'll try these next though since they sound great!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl

Well the most remarkable and noticeable results after taking this for almost two months are that I have been relieved of that annoying yeast problem some girls suffer Rolling Eyes and I used to have a really sensitive gut which didn't like any starchy food and so had bad bloating/

I had been on yoghurt/acidophilus for about 6 months before this and the turnaround for my body was soo much faster than yoghurt/acidophilus alone.

I had been eating really bad for the past three weeks and under major stress, normally I would have had many problems flare up, but surprisingly not this time.

I don't think I could go back to normal supplements after this. I will continue to take this just as a boost for my diet because it also contains broad-spectrum of amino acids.

The product itself is marketed by ONEgrp which makes the Miessence range. You can find it under their onegrp.com website under Mivitality.

It looks like spirulina powder, and tastes a little tangy, so might be an acquired taste for some really.

The site itself does not give much info about the product at all. The brochure states that it contains the full bacterial and amino acid family. And bacterial count shouldn't be measuried in "biliions and billions" of single bacteria, rather in colonies which bacteria naturally grow in.

I just checked the US prices, and they are so expensive!! I paid $120 NZD for two bottles including shipping. Man they really hike the prices up..

HTH
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Thanks miranets! Does anyone else have any recommendations on some good, but much less inexpensive, ones? I may still give these a go, but $55 USD is a LOT for a one month supply. Shock
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99,

My hubby has ulcerative colitis, and he can really tell a difference when he takes an effective probiotic every day (the cheap Wal-Mart ones don't have any effect at all). We've tried several brands, and the best one so far (which we continue to use) is PB8 by Nutrition Now (has 8 different types of beneficial bacteria). It's available at Whole Foods, but it's cheaper through vitacost.com.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Tamgirl, the bottle has lasted me 7 weeks so far, and I can still get at least 2 weeks more. At times I was taking generous 1tsp lots twice a day. So I guess in the end it works out cheapish to around $20-$25 a month, but you have to order two bottles to get the free shipping plus 10% discount.

But anyhow, any supplement that has the full spectrum bacteria is the kind that will be most helpful. Perhaps those in the States can find more options, here in NZ we really are hanging by a thread Neutral
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I also take PB8 and love it! No yeast infections at all for ages and digestion is great! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Thanks miranets! Does anyone else have any recommendations on some good, but much less inexpensive, ones? I may still give these a go, but $55 USD is a LOT for a one month supply. Shock

I take NOW 4x6 Acidophilus 4 Billion Potency 6 Probiotic Strain. Count 120. My husband and I each take two a day. I paid 18.00 in a local store but found you can get them on line cheaper. Must be kept in refrigerator. In my area NOW Vitamins have an excellent reputation.

Since taking them I see to have more energy. My husband has Diverticulitis and so far has not had another attack. Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to search around tonight and see what I can find pricing-wise on these. Very Happy
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Actually it's very hard to find a probiotic supplement that works well because there're so many out there. Btw, if I just take acidophilus, is it effective? Or it's best that I take a probiotic supplement? What about Jamieson Acidophilus, is it reliable? And those store brand supplements, are they reliable too or it's better to get a brand name one? Sorry for the questions but sometimes it's quite frustrating to get something that works without wasting money. Sad
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, well I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and they had PB8 so I went ahead and got it. However, it wasn't in the fridge with some of the other probiotics, so now I'm wondering how effective it really is. The ones that were in the fridge were too expensive anyway, but I don't want to throw away money either. Perhaps PB8 is just a top of the line, non-refridgerated type? I don't know, but Stardustdy and I need help! Laughing
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Ok, well I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and they had PB8 so I went ahead and got it. However, it wasn't in the fridge with some of the other probiotics, so now I'm wondering how effective it really is. The ones that were in the fridge were too expensive anyway, but I don't want to throw away money either. Perhaps PB8 is just a top of the line, non-refridgerated type? I don't know, but Stardustdy and I need help! Laughing

My Probiotics did not come in the refrigerator either. However, it clearly stated on the label to refrigerate after opening to preserve the potency.
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've always kept the PB8 in the fridge at home, even though they're not refrigerated at the store. I've found this brand to work very well - I can definitely tell the difference when I'm consistent about taking them vs. when I'm not. In my experience, they are just as effective (if not more so) as more expensive, refrigerated brands . Plus, the cost is reasonable (especially if you buy them online).
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie and Hope! I put them in the fridge after I opened them as well. Do you both stick to the recommended 2 per day? I've been having yeast problems for over a year now so I'm planning to take at least 4 per day for now. Any other advice is greatly welcomed. I'm so sick of this stupid problem and I've tried about everything!!!
qbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
One of the best resources for information on probiotics I've found is Dr. Jordan Rubin's books (and websites.)

He talks about the [b]cultured foods[/b] used throughout the world which build friendly flora colonies in the body and [b]homeostatic soil organisms (HSO's)[/b] which are even more readily assimilated in the gut than the probiotic supplements we most usually find, like acidophilus.
Ssanders

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the great exchange...I've found some helpful info. I wanted to add something about the yeast infections. I found out the culprit of my infections (in the feminine area) was due to my use of products that contained SLS (sodium laurel sulfate)...once I stopped using products that contained that...NO MORE YEAST INFECTIONS!!!! To say that was a relief is an understatement!

I plan to purchase probiotics to help with my gut.....thanks again!!!!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |