Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Perfume headaches
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Fantasia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Posting in another thread reminded me of something.

Why is it that some perfumes give me a headache when I wear them? They smell so lovely in the store but when I actually apply it to my body---major headache.

Why?
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I can totally relate. Most perfumes I can't wear because they are simply way too strong. Especially when driving---it will trigger a migraine Surprised
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know it was so common. I've never known anyone besides myself who can't wear perfume. Even the samples in magazines give me a headache. (Without even opening them!) Sad

Does anyone know of a "natural" type of perfume that doesn't cause headaches, like an essential oil or something?
Fantasia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:25 am      Reply with quote
happens to me too, thoughtcrime.

i've been wondering the same thing, alohagirl. there's gotta be something out there for girls like us.

someone please help so we can smell wonderful too.Very Happy
babyfish
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
"Musk Oil" is a very nice essential oil that helps you smell so good when you play sports or don't want to get headache from wearing perfumes. It's a tip from my cousin who plays beach volleyball:P:P:P
Mabsy

Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure why some perfumes cause headaches, but I know it's a very individual thing. I wear perfume everyday (I mean EVERY day, even when I'm at home and not going anywhere *blushes*) so I would say that I'm not all that sensitive to it but there are still perfumes that literally give me migranes! Yet, these same perfumes are fine on other people who get headaches from perfumes that I can normally wear. For example, Angel (which is worn by millions of people really) is something that I will get a headache from 100%. That headache will never be anywhere near as bad as the headache that I would get from the original Versace Jeans Couture though. Go figure!

If you often get headaches from perfume though, have you tried any of the Body Shop oils? Japanese Musk is very nice and not very strong. Also, another one that comes to mind is L'Occitane Green Tea (I have the solid perfume in that one and it's really nice and subtle). In the end, you really just have to risk a headache and get out there and start smelling those cards! Smile

Mabsy
Fantasia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
ahhh, thanks Mabsy....yay, a trip to the mall
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
Neiman Marcus sent me a sample of "Escada Tropical Kiss." I think it smells just like Body Shop's "Dewberry" (which I've always loved in their soaps and lotions).

Anyway, this one is so light, it's the first time in years I can actually wear fragrance without giving myself a headache. YAAAAY!!! Very Happy
Mabsy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
How about Lacoste Pour Femme? This just came out in Australia last week but I think it's been out overseas for quite a while. It seems light and powdery, yet another "maybe" on my list. Also CD Forever and Ever (I think I might be repeating myself here) is nice but different and not heavy. It's a LTD ED.

I just bought Stella EDP as well, beautiful 'vintage' rose scent but I think it might be a bit too strong for some (it's not heady though!). Love the bottle!

I found another perfume that gives me almost instant headaches - Michael by Michael Kors. "Bright, creamy florals meet smoky, sexy incense notes in this eau de parfum spray." I think I missed out on the sexy incese notes and just got heavy florals instead. I've smelt this on people before and it suited them and smelt lovely - but not on me!

Mabsy.
jehjahlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
I get headaches from strong florals and also from sugary smells like heavy vanilla sugar smells, which my mom likes to wear both of.. Laughing I usually stick with jovan musk or jovan white musk as well as light, fruity smells like cucumber melon, anything too heavy makes my head feel like it's in orbit. Shock
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I do get headaches from perfume too!
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I do too, but only with certain kinds. So best for me is to avoid them all together, which sucks, because I have soooo many at home.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the same way but only with artificial fragrances. No matter how light or soft the perfume is, I'll still get a nasty headache.

But, I can wear essential oils without a problem, as long as there aren't any artificial fragrances added.

Also, those cardboard air fresheners you put in your car will instantly make me nauseous and give me a headache. I actually get a little sick just thinking about it.
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
I never wear the stuff, but I can appreciate SOME that smell ok on others. Mainly it's with guys I'll walk past who's "smell" reminds me of a past relationship--kind of like an old song!

Anyways, despite that, (small rant) I can't stand when peopel wear too much or strong smelling perfumes during the day. Obviously many people are sensitive and it'a an automatic migraine for me. Luckily, many doctors office now post signs discouraging peope from wearing it there are it causes headaches and can even aggrivate asthma in some.

There's also this stuff, no idea what it's called" but it's like a "hippy" perfume that's a cross between something musky and pot. The smell makes me want to puke, and there's a crazy woman who delivers to our office occassionally. Swear to God, it stinks up the office for hours. :-&
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
DiverChick I believe the "hippy" perfume you are refering to is patouchi oil. I have the same reaction to this as you do. I get perfume samples from time to time and always check to see if this is an ingredient, if it is I just throw the sample in the garbage and do not even open it!!

As for perfume and headaches. I wear perfume everyday and perfumes do not cause headaches for me but if I already have a headache I will skip the perfume because it makes it worse.
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I think that's EXACTLY what it is. Yuck.

It smells like pot to me, or only because I knew someone who wore it after smoking pot, to "disquise" the smell.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I am convinced its the artifical oils that create the headaches, anyone ever hug someone and walk away with their fragrance all over their cloths (it makes the fragrance stick)? I have huge problems with migraines and perfume and have had to even come home and shower and change cloths after being around some freinds. But for the most part that only happens with the super strong scents. I also can wear and be around real oils fragrances with absolutely no problems.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I am another ones of those that cannot tolerate many perfumes Rolling Eyes . There are only a few perfumes that I can wear or even be around. Mabsy is right- it is different for everyone though.

I have began spraying my body with a rose hydrosol after showering and really love the scent. It surprised me that I don't smell ultra rosy (which is fine as I love the smell of rose) ... I guess the rose reacts well with my chemistry. Other than this I love YSL Opium and Le Baiser Du Dragon by Cartier for special occasions.

Do any of you remember the original Eau de Gucci from at least the 1980s and some of the 90s? My mom used to wear that and I remember it as a kid. Until recently, she used to keep her last bottle of it in her dresser with just a few drops remaining in it just to remember it since Gucci stopped making it. Even though the remaining drops had turned I could still smell the lingering scent of it. Since this last bottle, my mom hasn't been able to find a perfume that she can tolerate (the new Eau de Gucci is different). She is ten times more sensitive than I am to scents. If Gucci still made it, it would most likely be my favorite scent to wear.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 11:55 am      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie wrote:
I am convinced its the artifical oils that create the headaches, anyone ever hug someone and walk away with their fragrance all over their cloths (it makes the fragrance stick)?

Yes! This is a huge pet peeve. I can't even tell you the number of times a man or woman has hugged me after drenching themselves. I hate having to live with their scent for the rest of the day.

The last time a guy, drenched in cologne, came in for a hug, I quickly stuck out my hand for a handshake. I was not willing to compromise my evening, especially for an unsolicited hug. This sounds so mean but the headaches just aren't worth it.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Ok tried to use quote but it failed Confused
I really do wish people would realize when they do drown in a scent, it does transfer to others if you hug them, I just can't believe they can't smell how much they themselves have on, or maybe one gets ammune to it. I truely love scents but lightly is the key.

Melissa
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 28, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
me too, some perfume really give me a bad headache, i guess because some of it is so strong that you can smell it even if it is far away.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
I think the fruitly kind of perfume wouldnt cause me headache....
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I get headaches from many different types of perfumes and colognes, but I also have a problem getting sick of certain scents after a while and then I can almost Never use them again. I have strong smell memory or something. If I use something for a while, and then get tired of it, then smell it later it instantly reminds me of random memories from when I was using it. Sun-ripened raspberry from Bath and Body Works will always remind me of early high school, Ralph by Ralph Lauren will remind me of Christmas of my freshman year of college, etc etc. The list goes on. Right now I really like Clarins eau Tranquility though, which is one of the rare cases of something I used up and repurchased later with no problem being sick of it.
anjim
5% products discount

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. I too get headaches from a lot of perfume. The strangest thing I find, is that sometimes I'm not bothered by some of my perfumes and then the next day I will wear it again and get a headache. Then I try it again and it doesn't bother. Probably has something to do with PMS, like everything else! Anyway, just thought I would share the names of a few perfumes that never have bugged. Comptior Sud Pacifique-vanille banane, Rococo Rouge Gel Parfume by Stacked Style. Also I wear dry body oil, if I don't feel like wearing any perfume. The two I wear are, Bliss-plum plum super softening body oil, and Pearatin by Loma(it is a hair product that you can use on your skin as well, Fortifying repairative serum). The pearatin just glides on your skin and leaves no trace of oil and it smells divine! Angel
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I, too, get perfume headaches but it definitely depends on scent and the amount. So, I try to keep them light/airy and only use very little (walk through the spray, etc.).

It'll take me forever and a day to get through the bottles I have.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |