Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair Disasters - Professional or self-induced
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering what's the worst thing that you've had happen to your hair...whether by a professional or yourself Embarassed . I've had many bad hair "experiences" done in both high-end salons and in my own bathroom Rolling Eyes . But the ones I've had in salons seem worse if only because they were so much more costly! It's funny, though, I partially blame my own hair for these disasters. It's very thick, wavy, usually shoulder length, colored, can get very frizzy, and seems to have a mind of it's own. I've become very good at keeping it "under control" and using the right products to keep it looking "normal".
Whenever I would call to make an appt., I would tell them that I have extremely thick, long hair so they would take this into consideration and set aside enough time to do it properly. But it never failed, every time the colorist would start doing my hair, I'd hear "oh gawd, you've got soooo much hair!" And then their next customer would come in and I'd get rushed out! One girl who was drying my hair and trying to pull it straight with a brush (after I told her just to do a quick blow-dry to get the dampness out...I like my hair wavy)actually started working up a sweat and said she would probably skip her workout that day because I already gave her one Shock Another hairdresser had asked me right before she starting drying my hair whether I wore it in the middle or to the side. I said "middle" and she parted it down the center and started drying it when I noticed (and she did, too!) that one side was highlighted so much more than the other it looked a different color! And then to my surprise and disbelief, she took a brush and flipped my hair to the side to cover up the mistake and I stepped off of the chair with a side-part!! She didn't say anything...as if I wouldn't notice! It was too bad, too...she gave me a really great cut, but I would never let her color my hair again.

Thanks for letting me vent..and please, this post is in no way meant to bash all hair-colorists, stylists, professionals...just some of them Bad Grin Everyone's got a bad hair story...what's yours???
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
My mom would never let me get a perm or dye my hair growing up, so when I could drive myself to the store I rebelled. I dyed it so many times (all normal, brown or blondish colors) that it turned green. It was horrible. And then I got so fed up with it I cut it all off. Myself. I was 16 or 17. It sickens me to think about it. This was not too long before prom. What a mess! I was barely able to get it put up halfway for prom. It was just so awful. And I still kept dying it myself for years (and did my own highlights). Finally, about 2 years ago (I'm 23) I decided to stop dying it and grow it out. So I dyed it one last time as close as I could get to my natural color, and left it alone. The thing that sucks is that my mom was right. My natural color is nice, it suits me, and I did ruin my hair dying it. UGH!! Laughing

I did get highlights once in a salon. I made an appointment to get foil highlights, but when I got there he started doing the cap thing. I figured 'what the heck, at least it will be cheaper' because when I called around for prices the cap was always cheaper. But he charged me the price he quoted for foil. And of course the results weren't as good. I could have done it myself at home. I just wasn't assertive enough back then to say anything. I did go back the next day and have him rework the cut though. He sucked! I'm going in for a 'real' haircut soon because my natural color has grown out and I finally have long hair and it's getting too long to cut myself. Hopefully I won't be adding another post here! Laughing

Thanks for starting this thread, it was very therapeutic!
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Jala wrote:
Just wondering what's the worst thing that you've had happen to your hair...whether by a professional or yourself

Jala- your hair sounds EXACTLY like mine. And do I have a hair experience from hell to tell. Shock
I think I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post it though, the trauma of reliving it tonight will probably prevent me from getting a good night's sleep. If I have the strength tomorrow Laughing I'll try to tell my tale of woe. Crying or Very sad
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:23 am      Reply with quote
Self-induced - made my hair go khaki green when I tried to dye it brown!
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:49 am      Reply with quote
When I was little, my mom got the idea that our hair would be more manageable if she permed them in small braids. As a result I had kinky, poofy hair for a long time! It looked like a cross between crimping and a full-blown Afro. My natural hair is fine, straight Asian hair. Afterwards I was mistaken as a person of mixed African descent... it was hilarious.

Then in college I went through a phase where I did everything imaginable to my own hair - including bleaching from black to blonde, then layering a lot of vegetable dyes on top of it, followed by permanent dyes and then the same kinky perm as described earlier (don't even ask). The result was... an irridescent, mauve-based Afro. There was not one color to my hair - it pretty much looked like a mauve oil slick with a bunch of different colors reflecting off it in the sunlight. Again I had people thinking that I was of mixed African descent... LOL!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Oh my! This thread is so theraputic!

When I was in my sophmore year in college, I had very pretty naturally blond hair (my hair was a lot lighter then Sad ). At Christmas break, I decided to go get a haircut and color my hair strawberry blond (not THAT different but something fun). Well, the person who did it in the salon completely did not do the roots. It looked HORRIBLE! I had to wait several days before I could go back for them to fix it because of Christmas.

Here's the worst part of it all. When the salon fixed it, they decided to fix it by dyeing it a deep burgundy color!!! How they got from LIGHT strawberry blond to purple was beyond me! It was sooo drastic and since it was my first experience with color, quite traumatic.

Hearing my story doesn't sound so bad until I tell you what I found out later. I had been flirting heavily with my husband that Fall semester (we worked together). Come Spring semester, I still flirted but he didn't stop by to visit me as much while we worked anymore so I gave up and dated someone else. We finally started dating the following fall (I had gotten my first blond highlights by then--to get rid of the purple--so I looked sooooo much better). I found out later, he was completely turned off by the purple so that's why he lost interest!! To this day, if I have anything to do with the color red, he STILL hates it! (We've been together almost 16 years now.) He met me as a blond and he prefers me as a blond...even though my hair is now naturally a lot darker and I have to highlight. I think in a year I will go darker because I'm getting tired of the maintenance. I hope he will be able to stand the transition! Wink So funny!

Men. Rolling Eyes
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if I've ever had a disaster... Oh! To preface this, my first high school boyfriend was very controlling and WEIRD. So one day I had a hair appt at a salon. He was to go with me, but didn't show up on time, so I left by myself. I got to the salon, and was waiting maybe 5 minutes before he showed up wondering why I had left without him! Mad He then made me leave the salon because they hadn't gotten to me yet, and took me to where he got his hair cut, a family style salon-- think buzz cuts and bad highlights. I ended up having this greasy dude cut my hair, all the while telling me I had terrible hair. He was tugging on it with this chintzy plastic comb, hurting me. He totally didnt know how to cut my long, thick hair, and I ended up with the most uneven looking mess, and he didn't even blow dry it, but simply combed it away from my face and left it sopping wet. And it was cold outside!

I was mortified near to tears, and my boyfriend wouldn't even admit what a bad cut it was or what a bad idea it was taking me there. I have to admit, partly it was my fault for letting myself be pushed around, but I've definately learned some things since then! #1 no one's pushing me around anymore, #2 a greasy barber shall never touch my precious tresses again!
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Jala-
Before I get into my hair disaster experience, I would really like to know what products you use on your hair- it sounds exactly like mine.

Okay, here I go... hope this is more therapeutic than traumatic! Laughing
About 10 years ago we were about ready to take our annual trip to a conference in the States. We're not able to get away from work very often, so this was always a special occasion that I dieted, exercised, & did everything to look my best for. About 1 week before the trip I decided to get a body perm & highlights. The stylist wanted to do the perm first & have me come back for the highlights a few days later so as not to overstress my hair in one shot. (That sounded reasonable).
This is where the nightmare begins: I went in to have a soft body perm & was assured that it would be very gentle to my hair. After putting in the rods & solution she got preoccupied with chatting on the phone & other customers. I started to feel a tingling sensation all over my head & alerted her to this. She said everything was fine & left me in the back room. The tingling changed to a burning sensation & I went up to the front and told her this had to come off! She seemed a bit annoyed that her phone call was now being cut short. When the rods were out, and my hair was rinsed, I reached up to feel my hair: it was super tight curls! Shock I started to freak!! She kept telling me it would "relax" in a day or two. It looked like a Brillo pad after she dried it. Shock I had a little longer than shoulder length hair, and now it looked exactly like Carla's from Cheers!
I went home & cried. The next morning I woke up & cried. Put lots of conditioner on it, then cried some more. I noticed as I was putting on the conditioner that a lot of my hair had broken off at the roots, it felt like razor stubble & in the same pattern as she had put the rods in.
Later in the day I phoned my folks, just wanted to hear some comforting words from my mom. My dad answered the phone & asked what was wrong (he could hear me sobbing on the other end). When I told him what happened, he blurted: "Sue the b@astards"!
"I don't want to sue, I just want my hair back!" (I had to get off the phone & get back to another crying session).
I stayed in the house the entire weekend, avoiding all mirrors. Decided to do a jigsaw puzzle to take my mind off the whole ordeal. As I was sitting there I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window, and cried again.
By Monday morning the tears had subsided (probably from dehydration) & my determination not have my holiday ruined kicked in. I packed my credit card & headed down to a wig salon. Found a sexy long auburn brown wig (very close to my own color) & forked out over $300.
From the time we left on our holiday, to the time we got back, nobody except DH saw me without the wig. My spirits were really lifted when I got several compliments on my hair! Laughing
It took many months for it to grow out, with several haircuts in between to get rid of the damage. (Also had to endear months of snide remarks about my hair). Needless to say, I have never had another perm. DH says he couldn't take another one either, not because of how I looked, but the mental trauma it caused! Laughing
Thanks for letting me vent, I think I feel better now! Laughing
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone! Thanks for sharing all those stories! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who has such bad experiences with my crazy hair...I mean, my friends, daughter, sisters, other clients I see in the salon leaving with gorgeous hair...they never seem to have any hair trauma Confused They actually look forward to their time spent at the salon, when I actually start having panic attacks just thinking about it Embarassed

kls...omg...I did that before,too! Got a body perm! It was quite awhile ago..about 20 yrs...but what was I thinking???! Ok, I thought I wanted a little more curl to my waves and all was going well until after he rinsed out the solution and took out the rods. He had me sit under a hot lamp/light to let it dry "naturally". He promised it would be soft curls. I swear I could actually hear my hair going "boing..boing..boing" forming tight little curls all over my head til I was left with a huge afro Shock Some people can actually pull off this look--I'm not one of them.

kls, Here are some staple products I use...shampoos & conditioners change alot, though:
Kiehl's Silk Groom - I put a little of this in damp hair. It's the best product for fighting frizz for my hair.
Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum - use a little over the kiehl's.
Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme - I use this after hair has dried--takes the poof out
Alterna Hemp Seed Styling Mud - just a little warmed between palms & smoothed over any unruly sections...this keeps my hair in place all day.
I normally don't use these all together...usually a combo of two of them, depending on what I'm doing with my hair and what the weather's like that day Rolling Eyes hth Smile
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Jala! I'll be checking those products out. Hopefully I can find them locally.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
oops, nevermind. Laughing
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I went into a mall salon to get my hair hi-lighted. Well the girl over processed my hair and it started falling out whenever i showered. My hair looked really fried, eventhough it was cheap to get my hair done, I spent so much money on products and deep conditioners to help my damaged hair. Now i dont mind spending a little extra knowing my hair will come out good
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Seeing all these posts makes me want to not go to any stylists/colorists ever again. I have actually only gone to the salon about twice in the last 8 years. I always cut my own hair and I have to say ... I have never been happier.

I used to do hair shows and received wonderful haircuts from the best in the industry... but I have to say, none of the color I received ever left me satisfied. They all faded too quick, or were damaging, or the colorist/assistants were lazy, careless, or inattentive, etc. I just learned over time that I wasn't going to shell out money just to get mad. They'd have to pay me. I don't know if I can ever get over my salon phobia.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Luckily, I don't have any stories that are TOO traumatic, but I have very long hair and I've noticed a lot of the time people don't listen to how I style it and blow dry it all flat (I wear my hair blown back with a lot of body, a la Angelina Jolie), or they get tired and just hustle me out the door. So, when I find someone I like, I stay with her FOREVER! (Moving is very hard for me... it takes me like 3 months to build up the courage to start finding a new stylist...)

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I had a self-induced disaster when I was 17. My parents told us they were divorcing the night before. I had already had plans to go into Manhattan the next day with a friend. Although I was in a total fog I did go, and for some reason got my hair cut. I have *no clue* what I told the stylist, and received the most awful haircut of my life! I think I even had to take my senior picture before it grew out Sad

Beyond that, no problems really. I love getting my hair shampooed and cut- very relaxing!
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I dyed my hair with henna for about a year about 3 years ago.

I just want my hair one color. ><

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I used to do my own highlights with the cap ... and basically end up pulling nearly all my hair through so it was bleached blonde for a long time (I actually didn't mind that at the time ... it was the 80's! Very Happy ), but when I had my hair heavily highlighted like that, I'd decided I wanted to get a spiral perm. Well, the salon I went to SHOULD have refused to do it (I should have known better as well). But they did it and in the end my hair felt like mush! It hadn't been too long in length ... maybe around my shoulders, but I had to get them to cut it alot shorter to get rid of the damage. If I remember correctly, it took a long time to get rid of the "straw" feeling hair I had left. Big mistake! But ... live and learn! Smile
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Oh, don't even mention those spiral perms!! I had forgotten about those episodes! I am so glad that perms are definitely NOT in style anymore. Why I was possessed to get a new perm every few years back in the '80s and early '90s, I'll never know! The funny thing about all that is I have beautiful, naturally wavy hair anyway. When I look at those pictures now, I think I look so silly in those curly perms. I'm glad I finally came to my senses!! Now, I don't even own a hairdryer -- I just leave my hair alone!
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have had lots of bad experiences in salons, but I have to say that the worst was something I did to myself.

I put a "color remover" in my hair. My first mistake was thinking it would only remove the hair dye color, when it actually removed all color from my hair. My second mistake was following the directions about how long to leave it in, which turned out to be too long for me.

A lot of my hair fell out/broke off after that. But luckily I knew to take lots of liquid silica, MSM, B vitamins, and protein, so thankfully it all grew back.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Last week I decided to get my hair professionally colored. I asked for their herbal line, which is called bioglitz. From the second it was on my scalp I felt like my scalp was on fire!! After 40 minutes it was unbearable. My scalp is still recovering, but thankfully it isn't pink anymore! At least the color came out great. Smile
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have dyed my own hair for approx 15 years. I use good products and take really good care of my hair. One thing I do not do is blow dry it. I wash it at night and let it air dry. I have found the amount of money I would or could spend in a salon, I end up having my hair ruined. I take better care of it than I think the salons do.
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Mine was a "did it to myself" type deal.
I'd never lightened my hair on my own...so I bought a box of DIY color in several shades lighter than my normal color. I was thinking a light brown, dark blonde...it turned out a greenish, sickly yellow hue. What makes matters worse is I had to get pictures taken for work, that would appear on the website!

I was mortified. I didn't have time to get it fixed before the photos! Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
I tried sun in when i was a teen and turned my hair yellow...it was cool-aid yellow. ECK!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
ellyp wrote:
Oh, don't even mention those spiral perms!! I had forgotten about those episodes! I am so glad that perms are definitely NOT in style anymore. Why I was possessed to get a new perm every few years back in the '80s and early '90s, I'll never know! The funny thing about all that is I have beautiful, naturally wavy hair anyway. When I look at those pictures now, I think I look so silly in those curly perms. I'm glad I finally came to my senses!! Now, I don't even own a hairdryer -- I just leave my hair alone!

OMG...ellyp, you took the words right out of my mouth! Laughing I, too, was a victim of the spiral perm craze during that exact time frame! But around '92, my then-boyfriend's sister had what I thought was a very cool hair color...super dark brown with a lot of red in it...so, idiot me decides she's going to duplicate the color for herself using some semi-permanent color I got from the beauty supply. Now, I'm a natural brunette...but this color was not only way too dark, but the red in it looked almost purple! It looked good on the BF's sister because she had a very funky, trendy style...it just worked with her makeup and clothes and she could totally pull it off. As for me, my hair was screaming "Goth Queen" while the rest of me looked like Corporate America...definitely a mismatch. Confused

So, here I am with a scary spiral perm and borderline-black/purple hair...AND as an extra bonus, the hair on top of my scalp was really starting to thin out due to all the abuse. Needless to say, I freaked and stopped doing ANYTHING to my hair. And I remember thinking, "Well, thank God I only used a semi-permanent color...it'll wash out soon." Um...not exactly. It faded some...but the lovely reddish-purple tint clung to the permed hair because (unbeknownst to me), perming makes your hair more porous (sp?). SO...I chopped off as much of it as I could (a just above shoulder length bob was as short as I could go...I look hideous with super short hair). And as I grew out my perm and my natural hair color started coming in...I had normal chestnut brown on top, and faded purple-Goth/fried perm remnants on the bottom! Needless to say, I did a lot of creative up-do's at the time! Laughing

Anyway, the good news is, after a year of growing it out...and about 2 weeks after the last of my spiral perm was chopped from my head...I met the guy who is now my husband. Thank GOD he never saw me during my "experimental" days... Shock

Wow...I haven't thought about this disaster in ages, but I sure have a renewed appreciation for the guy that does my hair now (just dye it my natural brown to cover the grays)!! Laughing

Anyway...fun thread!

Mary Smile
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Let's see...there was the disastrous spiral perm episode where everything except a 2" strand actually took. That was fun growing out and my hair was very long at the time.

Then, there was the time a few years back that I found a new stylist after moving who said that "sure" she knew how to cut wavy, long hair in layers. What a mess that turned out to be. Took me 6 months to grow it out correctly.

Now, just last week, in fact, I cut it all off! I love it and thankfully, have a great stylist though she charges an arm and a leg!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |