Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Poll - Organic vs Non Organic Skin Care and Cosmetics
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Do you use Organic Skin Care and/or Cosmetics

Always for both skin care and cosmetics
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
I use strictly organic skin care lines but my makeup is not
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
I use organic makeup but stick to non organic skin care
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I try to include some organic skin care and cosemtic lines but the majority of my products are not
48%
 48%  [ 15 ]
None of my products are organic
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I'm interested in finding out what others in this forum use in terms of skin care for ex, Organic vs Non Organic, so I thought about putting out a poll. I for one am adamant about using strictly organic and holsitic skin care lines. I maintain an organic diet so think it's just as important to carry this through to my skin care routine as well. Just wondering what all your thoughts are about this.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I think my response is "I use a majority of organic skincare and cosmetic products, but, not entirely."

I would say it's 75-80/25-20% with the majority being organic and "natural."

I recently did a similar shakeup with my diet, going from organic to largely raw and organic, but, I still haven't given up cooked foods entirely and I eat non-organic foods at restaurants and at the cafeteria at work sometimes. Much like I continue to use up the non-organic products I have lying around.

I bought a bunch of Aubrey haircare products a few months ago (50% off sale at Whole Foods meant 4 shampoos and 3 conditioners! Shock ) I was going to chuck all my Redken and conventional products, but, I decided I could use them up instead of just throwing them out.

It feels wrong to waste, but, I find myself avoiding using my Pantene items... feels like I'm coating my hair with petroleum Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Agave took the words out of my mouth when she said : I use a majority of organic skincare and cosmetic products, but, not entirely. I prefer organic/natural products for two reasons: I have a strong, STRONG preference for products that are 100% cruelty-free. It's hard to get that in a drugstore (although is IS possible, freeman for example). My other reason is that I think chemicals can be absorbed through your skin and can build up in your body over time, so better safe than sorry, right? I've been aggressively seeking out organic/natural products for about a year now, and I'm not proud to say that everything in my shower except my disposal razor is organic/natural. Yup, shampoo, conditioner, face wash, body wash, shaving cream, the whole shooting match, and I feel great about. Plus, my hair and skin have never looked better, so it's a win-win situation, right? There are a few really wonderful mainstream products that I can't give up (For example, Lancome mascara and lipstick, L'Oreal Air Wear, Clinique Hair Spray...), but the majority of my stuff is natural or organic and I wouldn't have it any other way.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz, what brand of bath products and shampoo do you use? I haven't found an organic shampoo I like yet. Either they do nothing for me like Aubrey, or they contain harsh surfactants.

I'm the same way about the cruelty free, and it's really bothering me how few companies will write back when I ask about the sources of some ingredients.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:54 am      Reply with quote
BYRG- It bothers me too (in a big way!! Mad ) when companies won't write back to me about sources for their ingredients, animal testing practices, etc. It makes me feel so good tho to look around my shower and see the cruelty-free bunny icon on so many products!^-^ Currently I'm using Nature's Gate Organics Rejuvenating Shampoo and Conditioner in Asian Pear + Red Tea. No animal testing, no animal by-products, ph balanced, AND it makes my hair look and smell great! (The red tea and asian pear smell is addicting, I swear!) It's slightly more expensive, but when my hair needs a major shine boost I use Better Botanicals Pure Gloss Conditioner. This conditioner is also cruelty-free. It has a VERY strong herbal smell (which I happen to LOVE--- I can smell it on my hair throughout the day and I can just feel the stress leaving my body), but it makes my long hair very soft. Also, I recently read a glowing review of Desert Essence Organics Italian Red Grape Shampoo and Conditioner here on the EDS board, so I was thinking of giving it a try sometime too...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:05 am      Reply with quote
I use strictly organic and natural products. However, many many products that label themselves as organic or natural ARE NOT 100% NATURAL! I read labels VERY carefully. Once in a while a make an exception - for instance, one of my favorite mascaras (Ecco Bella) contains parabens. I carry this into my diet as well. I eat only all-natural foods, and I try to eat organic when I can (it gets expensive.)
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Agave wrote:

I bought a bunch of Aubrey haircare products a few months ago (50% off sale at Whole Foods meant 4 shampoos and 3 conditioners! Shock ) I was going to chuck all my Redken and conventional products, but, I decided I could use them up instead of just throwing them out.

It feels wrong to waste, but, I find myself avoiding using my Pantene items... feels like I'm coating my hair with petroleum Embarassed

You've hit on possibly the best 'natural' brand of haircare products. They're shampoo and conditioners are absolutely wonderful and completely pure. I wish they would expand on their cosmetics line!
tisa
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Agave in that my skincare is 80-90% organic where my makeup is 50% organic - thanks to just discovering minerals Very Happy

I use organic or wildcraft for my haircare as well.

My dh and I are changing our lifestyle to be more and more organic as we learn more about the organic alternatives and incorporate them Very Happy
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
There are lots of great organic hair care products out there that aren't too expensive. I too have used Nature's Gate Organics Fruit shampoo line, and I agree manslayerliz, they smell fantastic. That was actually one of the reasons why I picked them over others. I have also treid Dessert Essence Tea Tree Shampoo. Was ok. I have tried some of Aubrey's and found that some of their shampoos don't really lather well. Although I know that isn't that important, I like the way lather feels. But some of their shampoos I did like. Now I am using Druide shampoos and conditioner. Totally dissatisifed with their "Tangle free" conditioner. It actually leaves my hair a tangled mess and I have actually written the company about it to make sure I didn't get a faulty or defective batch product. I do love their shampoos though and especially their body washes. My health food store sells a few bulk products in their line so I snatch those up quickly whenever I can as it means evn greater savings. I've also tried Avalon organics but their line has metyhlparaben and butylparaben so I stopped using it. I'd love to try John Masters but a bit too pricey for now. I checked out Jurlique and noticed they used Sodium Laureth Sulfate in their line. What's that about? I was shocked especially at the prices they charge. I'm sure there are lots of other lines out there as well. In time I will give some more a try as I like to switch brands every few months.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Me too! I try to use organic/natural whenever I can, so it's probably 80% of my skin care, 100% body care (well, not sunscreen), but I haven't made the makeup switch yet.

wildflower wrote:
I've also tried Avalon organics but their line has metyhlparaben and butylparaben so I stopped using it.

Actually, Avalon Organics is switching over their products to non-paraben formulations.

From their website:

http://www.avalonorganics.com/index.php?id=33

"Avalon Organics Bath & Body Care (green bottles) products have been reformulated and are paraben-free. Our Lavender, Vitamin C and CoQ10 Skin Care lines are also now available in paraben-free formulations. Reformulation of Avalon Organics Hair Care Elixirs (blue bottles) and the Alba Botanica products will be complete in late 2006.

Since we are introducing these new formulations, both the original formula products and the new formula products will be available at retail for some time to come. If you prefer the paraben-free versions, please look for products with Avalon's CONSCIOUSNESS IN COSMETICS SEAL at the bottom of the front label so that you know it is paraben free."

I really like Avalon's Rosemary Volumizing Conditioner (the shampoo was decent), and I love the scent of the Ylang Ylang Glistening Shampoo and Conditoner (my hair did glisten).

Also, I was the one that raved about the Desert Essences Organic Red Grape shampoo/conditioner. They're my favorite so far.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, Avalon Organics is switching over their products to non-paraben formulations.

That's great news!! Thanks for posting that. I'll definitely check out their new hair care line once it comes out later this year.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of the paraben-free shampoos/conditioners are already out! My Whole Foods carries the new formulations, and I've seen them otehr places too.

But you do need to look at the labels, b/c I have been to a health food store or two that still have some of the older products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
A lot of the paraben-free shampoos/conditioners are already out! My Whole Foods carries the new formulations, and I've seen them otehr places too.

But you do need to look at the labels, b/c I have been to a health food store or two that still have some of the older products.

Hmm. Maybe it's taking them longer to put them out in Canada. I noticed they changed their packaging but the ingredients were the same. Next time I'm in the city and at my health food store I'll take a look at their ingredient list again. For now I'm sticking to Druide for a while. I love thier products and they have great customer service too. I wrote them about a conditioner I purchased which was called "Tangle Free" and wasn't at all. I thought it may have come from a bad batch or something since it wasn't the normal conditioner consistency and I needed to use so much of it to cover my hair, and they emailed me back the next day and said they would be happy to send me a new shampoo and conditioner in a different line to try out and asked for the batch number to look into the problem. Now that's great service!
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:12 am      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
Agave wrote:

You've hit on possibly the best 'natural' brand of haircare products. They're shampoo and conditioners are absolutely wonderful and completely pure. I wish they would expand on their cosmetics line!

I totally agree!

For all the years (decades!) I've seen Aubrey at Whole Foods and other natural shops, I never purchased anything due to one product I'd used long ago. I had ordered a serum from their website, loathed it, and somehow associated the brand with good intentioned, yet, horrible products.

Thank goodness for that sale! I discovered a few items which I now love with all my heart.

Sea Buckthorn mask - Amazing! Leave my skin SO soft and literally glowing.

Calagula shampoo - Works wonders on my fine hair with oily roots. I use it twice a week as a deep cleaning treatment.

Chamomile shampoo - smells like blue skies with white clouds and wildflowers.

GPB conditioner - Deserving of all the accolades and devotion. It's like Rumplestiltskin in a bottle, turning straw to gold.

Rosehip oil - comes in a nifty rollerball to bring to work as a natural eye/lip treatment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
You found my HG shampoo! The Calagula shampoo is the ONLY shampoo that effectively combats my greasy hair as well as my itchy scalp. I buy that stuff in lots of 20! You should also check out their swimmers conditioner if you get the chance. It's my favorite conditioner so far.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |