Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Products against mosquitos
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
Summer time finally came to Canada Laughing and it is hard to find safe product against mosquitoes and other types of insects. I get very bad allergic reaction to mosquitoes (and other insects) bites, my skin becomes swollen with blisters. Last summer I used a spray against mosquitoes and got allergic reaction to it Sad .
There are some products that you can place on your back yard, but what if one will go to vacation, for example, in the forest (that is my plan for this summer). What are the safe products I can use to protect myself from those blood drinking creatures?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I NEED to know this, too! I remember hearing/reading something about stuffing your pockets with dryer sheets to repel mosquitoes...has anyone tried this or know if it's true?? Would smell alot better than bug spray, anyway Wink
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean about mosquito season in Canada. LOL I went out to snip some flowers in the garden this afternoon for literally 5 minutes and 2 of those f#@#@!s got me. Sad I came in and found my scalp bleeding as one bit me on my hairline and the other got me in the side. Didn't even notice except for all the buzzing around my head. Sheesh! Can't even go out for a few minutes without being attacked. I think it's time yet again to make up another batch of my natural recipe. I originally posted it in the "eco-resort posting" but here it is again. I find works really well, when I use if of course Wink

All the ingredients I use are organic, biodynamic or wildcrafted
Equal parts of the following Hydrosols (Floral Waters) of Tea Tree, Lavender, and Peppermint to fill a 200 ml bottle
Mix with a tbsp or two of witch hazel
5 drops of citronella or eucalyptus citriodora essential oil
5 drops of lavender essential oil
3-5 drops of peppermint essential oil
10 drops of tea tree essential oil
Put in a 200 ml bottle and shake well before use. Spray and enjoy the outdoors!

If you don't want to make anything yourself I've noticed that Burt's Bees also has a Citronella based bug repellant line in stores. I haven't read the ingredients or tried it myself but usually their products are all natural and pretty good.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to check out this thread I started a few weeks ago. There's some good tips.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13252&highlight=
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
A friend told me to increase vitB's, she said she did that and they leave her alone. So I am going to try that, living in Texas, trust me we get hordes of em.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
B Vitamins help a great deal.

If you don't want to mix your own essential oils you can try this. Cloud Nine Herbal Dip For Dogs. No, I am not kidding. Laughing I do not put Frontline on my two Scotties. I use Cloud Nine. Here are the ingredients: 100% Natural Aromatic Herbal Oils of: Tea Tree, Rosemary, Sage, Cedarwood, Pepperment, Sweet Orange, Eucatyptus, Citronella, Pine Needle. The 1/2 oz. bottle makes four gallons. I spray it on my dogs before walks and also put a few drops on a cloth collar. No flees or ticks. Shock

When taking my dogs for a walk in the evening I spray it on myself. It works!!!! It smells delightful. Totally pure. $12.99 for 1/2 ounce. This sure beats buying all those EO's.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Avon's Orignal Scent Bath oil is GREAT for repelling mosquitos.

I have a bottle - you can get it dirt cheap when its on sale.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Jala wrote:
I NEED to know this, too! I remember hearing/reading something about stuffing your pockets with dryer sheets to repel mosquitoes...has anyone tried this or know if it's true?? Would smell alot better than bug spray, anyway Wink

I've never tried this, but my grandmother swears by it. She and her friends go powerwalking (she lives in Prescott, AZ), and she just ties one of these on her beltloop and is bug free. It also keeps away noseeums and everything else.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Products I've tried:

Burt's Bees Herbal Insect Repellent:
I like the smell--it's citronella and lemongrass I believe. It's on sale now at drugstore.com through June 30 w/ their Burt's sale. It's a little greasy, and unfortunately it doesn't last. So if you are only going out for a little bit, or don't mind reapplying, it's a good natural selection.

Avon Skin So Soft:
The original bath product... when I was a kid my mom would dilute this with water and spray it all over us. It worked very well, but I really don't like the scent--to me it was very strong and perfume-y. Better than something like OFF, but still not ideal.

DEET:
When I was at camp one year I used this for a while b/c the mosquitos were SOOOOOO bad and everyone else was using it. Of course it worked, but now I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

One other thing that people I know have tried and had success with is Buzz Off clothing. A few brands make clothes/bandanas/hats etc. that are specially treated. They're pretty expensive, but might be worth a look.

I'm going to be travelling in Asia and India at the end of the summer, so I'm trying to figure out what to bring. Avon has a few lines of bug rellents now using 2 different Deet-free formulations, and they also have a combo bug repellent/sunscreen. I'm going to poke around and see if I can find reviews anywhere.

I'm also intrigued by wildflower's home recipe.
BUT--does anyone know:
1) is it okay to store hydrosols in plastic? The people over at NaturesGift.com don't recommend it
2) they also recommend refrigeration, which obviously won't be possible. Would the solution remain effective if I had it in a plastic bottle in my backpack for 2 months?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Avon Skin-So-Soft.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
burt's bee is natural, have a try
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
violetanne, I've never heard of dryer sheets before. Thanks for bringing that up. Very Happy I've just did a search on the Internet but wonder whether it's available locally. I don't like the idea of putting insect repellent on my skin. So I'll try searching this locally and see if I have any luck Wink
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I heard from somewhere that there are specific oils that if you rub a little on yourself you're good to go. But I forgot which oil(s). Does anyone know? I'm pretty lazy and cheap, so I probably wouldn't wanna be buying a whole bunch to mix, one or two would be fine.

And can someone remind me which aromatherapy oil is good for repelling mosquitoes from my room at night?
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
I heard from somewhere that there are specific oils that if you rub a little on yourself you're good to go. But I forgot which oil(s). Does anyone know? I'm pretty lazy and cheap, so I probably wouldn't wanna be buying a whole bunch to mix, one or two would be fine.

And can someone remind me which aromatherapy oil is good for repelling mosquitoes from my room at night?

A blend of these oils will work well against mosquitoes: Lavender, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Citronella and Eucalyptus Citriodora.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that Lemongrass works too. Wink
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I've had good success with lavender, citronella and lemongrass. But except for lavender candles in the garden I don't bother with any. As I'm really into Vitamin B. It really helps. Your body can't keep it in and the mossies hate the taste of it. Take it maybe twice or thrice a day dosage depending on strength and where you ae in the world. And it also helps my moods Laughing
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
sormuimui wrote:

A blend of these oils will work well against mosquitoes: Lavender, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Citronella and Eucalyptus Citriodora.

Does it have to be a blend? Can I just pick one and rub a few drops on my skin? Which would be the most effective? I remember just using Tea Tree when I was in HK as an aromatherapy at night to repel mosquitoes from my room and it worked very well (I got 9 bites in ONE NIGHT before using it).
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I do use the dryer sheets. I spend a lot of time outside in the evenings at my son's baseball games and I too get eaten alive. I hate all the sprays, sticky smells and skin reactions. Someone turned me on to using the dryer sheets and they work wonderfully. I buy them at the dollar store and keep them with me whenever I go. After rubbing them on my legs and arms (I skip my face) I put the left over sheet in my baseball hat on my head. Works everytime.
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis, thanks for the tip about picking some up at the dollar store. do you use the sheets new? I saw where CareKate talked about using a used dryer sheet. Have you tried used ones?

I'm going to take some on vacation with me!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:08 am      Reply with quote
i am soon going to be the guinea pig for our lovely forum member Candy and her Candessence product to keep the skeeters away. i have the unique problem of indoor buzzies, dive-bombing me in my sleep (we don't have screens here). i have tried sleeping with the dryer sheets between my sheets, but they still find me delectable.... i will get back to everybody on how effective her stuff is for those who aren't into the whole DIY stuff and the dryer sheets are just simply not enough.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Does it have to be a blend? Can I just pick one and rub a few drops on my skin? Which would be the most effective? I remember just using Tea Tree when I was in HK as an aromatherapy at night to repel mosquitoes from my room and it worked very well (I got 9 bites in ONE NIGHT before using it).

No doesn't have to be a blend at all but mixing a couple of them with teatree or lavender hydrosol would be most effective. If you don't have any hydrosols you can always use plain witch hazel as well. If you can only pick 2 or 3 oils than I would suggest Eucalyptus Citriodora and Lavender as the top two and Peppermint as a third.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
i am soon going to be the guinea pig for our lovely forum member Candy and her Candessence product to keep the skeeters away. i have the unique problem of indoor buzzies, dive-bombing me in my sleep (we don't have screens here). i have tried sleeping with the dryer sheets between my sheets, but they still find me delectable.... i will get back to everybody on how effective her stuff is for those who aren't into the whole DIY stuff and the dryer sheets are just simply not enough.

Boxed & being shipped tomorrow Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:50 am      Reply with quote
http://miessenceproducts.com/product.asp?productid=46

About these things. Do you need to spray them on all exposed skin, or just generally give yourself and clothes a good spray and the scent will repell them? I am having a hard time with them munching on me while I sleep too. We have no screens and it gets so hot here I can hardly sleep without the windows open and the patio door in my bedroom open. What makes it worse though is that we live on these water canals. Lots of ducks live there and love it but unfortunetly being a stagnant water they are breeding grounds for those blood suckers and they love it too. I never see them bother me or land on me when I am awake during the day. I've never caught one feasting on me. However I keep noticing these little red bumbs on my arms and hands that look like bites from them. Oddly though they do not ever itch or anything like they used to from them. I'm sure that's what they are from though.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:16 am      Reply with quote
I noticed while searching through Neal's Yards products that they have an insect repellant that is very similar to BB's. But I think this might be LESS oily than BB's after looking at the ingredients. You can find this from the Neal's Yard website.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:28 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
What makes it worse though is that we live on these water canals. Lots of ducks live there and love it but unfortunetly being a stagnant water they are breeding grounds for those blood suckers and they love it too.

Linnie Canals, perhaps??? if so, i've seen the bitie things come out en masse at dusk and stay around all night. ugh! several chunks were taken out of me as a child there.... they're viscious!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |