Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Eye Bright and Placental Protein (!)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone! So I just started using DHC Eye Bright. I'm a chronic eye rubber and night owl, so I've alwasy had dark circles under my eyes, but I've noticed as I'm getting older, they're getting darker. I use their eye cream stuff, but it's mostly emollient, not brightening. Here are the ingredients for Eye Bright:

water, cucumis sativus (cucumber) juice, butylene glycol, sodium hyaluronate, isodonis japonicus extract, placental protein, carbomer, potassium hydroxide, methylparaben, saccharide isomerate, caffeine, dipotassium glycyrrhizate, allantoin

Yes, you'll notice something called placental protein. it was this ingredient that made me hesitate about this product, but I decided to give it a whirl, anyway. It's a clear gel with no smell (DHC doesnt use fragrance in their face care), and it goes on easy and sinks in quick. It's slightly cooling, slightly moisturizing, and I do notice that initially my circles aren't as pronounced, but at the end of the day, there they are again. I'm thinking this is a "fix-it", not a long term treatment. In that capacity, it works well. It's a nice morning product and will be good for summer.

On to the placental protein. I sent DHC an email asking about it and the replied the next day:

With regards to your inquiry, plakoenta (placental protein) from pork is derived from an animal; albeit there is no animal testing. There is no cruelty involved in extracting this ingredient; it is a natural by-product resulting from the processing of this source that would otherwise be discarded. It is safe to use in cosmetics, and we are confident that it provides tremendous benefits for your skin.

Regards,

XXX

So I still don't know I feel about rubbing pig placenta on my face, and I WOULD like to know what these "tremendous benefits" are... is it supposed to be moisturizing? Oh well!!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Ohh sorry but that just makes me want to :-& <sick> But then I am a veggie (how cheesed off was I to find they use animal by products in Cellcosmet Eye Cream.. Sad ) so try to avoid animal products in skincare.
(Emu Oil is supposed to be fab too but again I can't bare the thought of rubbing animal fat onmy face...... Shock

Glad it works for you though - its so hard to find products that work and suit us!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Lucia before I even tried my sample of the Cellcolmet Eye Cream I emailed Cellcosmet and asked them about the animal ingredients. The animal ingredients are actually produced by biotechnology from a cell culture. At one time the cells came from an animal but what is actually in the creams is produced in a lab.

Since you are a vegetarian I imagine that this would still be off limits for you and I could understand that. I just wanted to share what I learned in case someone else is wondering.

Regarding the DHC products, I have avoided using this line because of the placental protein thing. I know it is not in all of their products though so I guess I should be willing to give some of their products a try. I am not a vegetarian but putting placental protein on my skin just seems gross.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I like the DHC products I've tried, but I definitely avoid the ones with placenta protein. Even though I'm a vegetarian, I don't have any moral objections to using placenta assuming it was harvested during the birthing process, but the idea of putting on my face is a no-go...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I was flipping through my catalog last night, and DHC does use botanical placenta in some instances (didn't know there was such a thing). THey have a plakoenta booster that uses hydrolyzed rye phytoplacenta. It makes me wonder why if they have this source they don't use it instead of the animal-derived substance.

Even though it seemed gross to me, too, the product is so un-gross I feel easier about it.

I mean, they make placenta wraps for hair. it just makes me wonder who thought, hey, let's put this stuff on our body and hair!!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa - That's interesting - still not keen but makes me feel happier about having used it for a while! Very Happy

Placenta hair wraps? For what? why? ewwwww. Shock Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Is the DHC Botanical Plakoenta 100% plant placenta?

Has anyone used this product?

Their range of skin boosters look really interesting. If anyone has used them, what did they think?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I have been using DHC's plakoenta 100 for awhile (yes, they have since discontinued it for the botanical derived version). I was grossed out at first, but hey, most of us have eaten pork before, haven't we? after getting over the thought and the smell of the product, i love it. the porcine and botanical version basically do the same thing--it brightens and renews your skin.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
I think animal proteins/collagen in its various forms are MUCH cheaper to source than vegetable proteins.

I am not sure what you guys think of silk proteins/amino acids which have similar if not better effects on the skin than things like hydrolyzed collagen. Would you avoid it because it is sourced from silkworm excretions?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Is the DHC Botanical Plakoenta 100% plant placenta?

Has anyone used this product?

Their range of skin boosters look really interesting. If anyone has used them, what did they think?

I've never used any of the boosters, but a friend said that they weren't good for her sensitive skin because they're basically 100% of whatever they are-- very concentrated (ie, STRONG).

Right on, Skincareaddicted. I thought, hey, I eat meat for sustenance, so what is REALLy so gross about using a product that is naturally occuring, and, according to the company, not derived from cruel harvesting practices? I can see, however, how a vegan may object to using a product containing it.

really, though, I still think it's sort of weird! Confused
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
I just received an email from DHC and they sent me a complete list of product ingredients.

I'm actually quite disappointed to see that their boosters aren't full concentrates like someone on MUA described.

from their ingredients list -

Botanical Plakoenta (.84 fl. oz.) – water, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed rye phytoplacenta extract, pentylene glycol
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am going to conjecture that the glycols are added to give the product a pleasant texture? I'm not sure, but glycols are alcohols, dehydrating agents (that is to say, dehydrating the substance).

But, really, I'm no chemist. Smile
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

yup, violetanne, glad you agree Very Happy

miranets--also, i wouldn't mind using silkworm excrements if it does my skin good. regarding the concentration of serums, i have used a whole bunch from different lines, and i notice the level of concentration in one of my yonka serums was 100% but it didn't have as good an effect on my skin as plakoenta 100 did. i haven't tried the botanical derived one yet, but i plan to in the near future Smile you should sample the serum before buying it.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:25 am      Reply with quote
I have tried enough skincare products to know from just the ingredients if they're gonna work or not Bad Grin I think that's just a sign I've spent wayyy too much $$ and learnt the hard way

The butylene glycol is supposed to have a penetrating effect, perhaps that's why the DHC serum worked better because the extracts were being absorbed well.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
I just received an email from DHC and they sent me a complete list of product ingredients.

I'm actually quite disappointed to see that their boosters aren't full concentrates like someone on MUA described.

from their ingredients list -

Botanical Plakoenta (.84 fl. oz.) – water, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed rye phytoplacenta extract, pentylene glycol

miranets I am not sure what the official definition of full or 100% concentrate would be but I do know that if all this product contained was the phytoplacenta extract and nothing else it would be impossible to put it on your skin. I have no idea what phytoplacenta looks like in it's natural state but I couldn't imagine that it would be something that your could just rub into your skin. I recall reading something similar about hyaluronic acid serums (I think that it was on EDS forum but am not sure). What I read is that what they call 100% hyaluronic acid is actually Hyaluronic acid mixed with something else (water I believe) and that actual 100% hyalyuronic acid would be so thick that it would be impossible to use it. Maybe someone else could explain this in a little more detail but my point is that for some ingredints, particularly solid ingredients, 100% is not really possible.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |