Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
England and Scotland this summer!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:19 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

We are planning a 10 day vacation in England and Scotland this summer and as I trust so many of you with my face Smile, I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for a London hotel?

Also, there are two days that we will be making our way down (by car) from the Highlands to London. If any of you have recommendations regarding places to see between the two spots, I welcome them. We will be traveling with two kids, ages 3 and 6.

Thanks so much for the help. I am so excited to see this part of the world!

Mammamia

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi

When you coming over? Soon? The weather is great at the moment.

Try tripadvisor.com for recommendations of places to stay. We always check there first before booking anywhere now. London IS expensive, especially for a nice hotel.

As to places to visit, well I was going to suggest several beautiful houses and castles but as your kids are young I'm not sure they'd enjoy them. What do you like to do?
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Hi - We'll be there late July - early August. Thanks for the tripadvisor advice. I have been using that site quite a bit. When it comes to London, there are so many hotels and interesting areas to stay in, I was just hoping to narrow down my search a bit. You're right about it being expensive... Edinburgh is too so I've found out...

Regarding what we like to do, we're pretty easy in that way and are happy going on walks, learning about local culture, sightseeing, shopping, eating (especially that part!) Castles are usually pretty interesting for kids too...up to a point.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks a lot!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Just a thought, it may be worth driving through Birmingham to stop off at Cadbury World, I am sure the Kids would love this, just make sure you don't hop in the car straight away after gorging on Chocolate:

http://www.cadburyworld.co.uk/en/cworld

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Few years ago my relatives who reside in Enlgand took me to Scotland and I still remember that we stayed at a castle for one night.

It was fantastic! The castle is sooooooo enormous inside. It has been turned into a hotel because the owner of the castle cannot afford all kinds of maintenance fee every month so they think of tour business.

We, twelve of us had a wonderful time over there in this castle. I found that there are more than 20 rooms inside and the rooms are so big with old English decorations. I never imagine that I can live inside a castle. In the morning they served us English breadfast as well. I absolutely wish to stay in this kind of hotel at Scotland again in the not too far distant future. Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
London hotels tend to be very expensive for tiny little rooms.

One good one I've stayed in before (they do special weekend rates, which are the best value) is the London Bridge Hotel. Here's the website: http://www.londonbridgehotel.com

As for castles up on the way to Scotland, the only one I've stayed in (for our wedding night) is this one in my bonny Northumberland (right next door to Scotland Very Happy ): http://www.langleycastle.com/

The rooms were beautiful and very atmospheric. And nearby is wonderful Hadrian's Wall country, with lots of Roman ruins and forts along the way that the kids might love. http://www.hadrianswallcountry.org/

One of the sites even has a working, reconstructed Roman bath house that you can try: http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/segedunum/whatshere.php

Otherwise, a little more of a break in the middle of your journey from South to North, could be one of my favourite places in the world - the the plague village of Eyam. I know it doesn't sound very appetising Laughing , but it's very beautiful and has an amazing true, courageous and sad story to tell. You can walk around the place, visiting the homes and sites were the events took place in the 1600s. This site gives more info: http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/eyam - (the "Plague" link at the top of the page gives a little more detail on the story.

And, if your children are interested, there are 2 good kids' books that were written on the subject, which really evoke the atmosphere and bring the events to life:-
"A Parcel of Patterns" by Jill Patton-Walsh -http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140362592/sr=1-9/qid=1150565935/ref=sr_1_9/202-7858998-9859858?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books&v=glance
"The Naming of William Rutherford" by William Kempton - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0749715812/sr=1-1/qid=1150565978/ref=sr_1_1/202-7858998-9859858?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books&v=glance

These books are often available in one of the little village shops.

If you do go to Eyam, look at the names of the family businesses - they are the very same ones that survived the plague and still live there to this day.

Eyam is in the heart of the stunning Derbyshire Peak District, with lots of hills and very old pretty villages.
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your replies and great ideas. I'm really getting excited now!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
For something a bit different but not ridiculously expensive have a look at
http://www.portobello-hotel.co.uk/

I've also heard good things about Myhotel.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Is that the lovely hotel where they have resident cats, Daisy? If so, I remember being very tempted to stay there myself. Very Happy
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
If you do stay in Edinburgh, they do a wonderful "witches tour" or something like that. The tour guide we had knew so much about the history of Edinburgh - it was so interesting to hear (even though some of it was pretty gruesome Shock ). It gave us a whole new appreciation of the buildings in downtown Edinburgh.

If you get to craving a good steak while you're in London, there's a phenomenal Argentinian steakhouse called The Gaucho Grill Drool . I've only eaten at the one near Picadilly Circus, but there are several. I've never had such good steak - even in Texas, Nebraska, etc! It might be kind of pricey for a family dinner though.
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:03 am      Reply with quote
All of these ideas sound fantastic. Thanks so much for responding. Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |