Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I guess Avene not photostable-it has Octinoxate in it?!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I've always remembered that Avene is supposed to be photostable but the one I am looking at has octinoxate in it so I guess it isn't!!

After doing a million searches, it appears that Bad Bird confirms that Octinoxate is not photostable so I guess I'm confused.

The Avene I'm looking at also has titanium dioxide and octocrylene.

I guess the T/T makes it at least partially stable b/c it is a physical block, but I don't know what the Octocrylene does.

I guess I won't be buying this one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
but Bad Bird recommended Avene (chemical not physical) for those of us who want to use MMU.

It's also recommended by MUA and theskincareboard. Many of us here use it and are satisfied with the protection, if not the feel.

I think there must be some oversight in your reading.
aiya! it's complicated stuff, I know.
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I know that Avene is highly recommended by Bad Bird which is why I'm confused.

This must be a different line from Avene which is only partially stable.

I've read Bad Bird saying on quite a few threads that Octinoxate is not stable BUT it is POSSIBLE that the octinoxate may be being stablilized by the Octocrylene...I was unable to find whether this is the case. All I know is that Octocrylene stabilizes Avobenzene but I don't know about Octinoxate.

I'm hoping Bad Bird reads this.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Really? I thought it was photostable! This is what I use: (could not find English site)

http://www.shop-apotheke.com/angebote/22016.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Which Avene Sun Screen do most people use?

It is this one?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-16695397808463_1897_5600844
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm, I think it is the same. My avene has "vitamin E/antioxidants" in them. Supposed to be a new formula (in orange). And there is also a tinted version.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
gee, I hope Bad Bird was this reads this!!

The one I was considering was this new Hydrance Optimale moisturizer/SPF with antioxidants.

As long as you are using the Avene lines that are 100% physical, like I think the white line is...not sure about the orange line, it should be all fine.

doesn't anyone else know if octocrylene stabalizes octinoxate?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Well I've always heard the avene sunscreen is stable! Im sure i read somewhere the octocrylene has been stabilised.
Also the chemical sunscreens in the avene line offer better uva protection than their physical sunscreens.
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
The octocrylene is stable, its the octinoxate that's unstable and I'm not sure if the octocrylene stabilizes it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry i meant octinoxate. To be honest i really dont care anymore.Its too hard to find the perfect one Confused
Maybe ask the girls om MUA?
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I know what you mean. In all honesty, I REALLY REALLY HATE sunscreen.

My skin just doesn't agree with it. And I hate to say it, but I try to avoid it on weekdays because I only see the sun early in the morning and the after 6pm in the evenings with no exposure to sun during the day.

<sigh> I wish the earth would just grow back the ozone layer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Cautious newbie I will be doing some research on this and will let you know if I find anything. Most of the sunscreen that I use contain zinc oxide and octinoxate so I really want to know if the octinoxate is unstable!
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Please let me know what you find out!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Who/what is Bad Bird??

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
pumaka wrote:
Who/what is Bad Bird??

The Sun Screen Guru! Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Pumaka

Who or What Laughing ?

She (we think) claimed to be an amateur expert on sunscreens and was here for a few months last year and had a little flock of followers.

If you search for Bad Bird and sunscreen, you may be unlucky enough to find the longest, most confusing thread in the history of EDS.

You can look on MUA if you want more clarity.

I can tell you in a nutshell though - she recommended LRP Anthelios above all else and Avene chemical sunscreens if you want to use MMU and said everything else on earth was inadequate period.

M
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hahaha that's true what Molly said... Laughing

Question though... what does Kathleen (from theSkinCareB) recommend? Did i interpret correctly that it's Vichy?

I take a break from LRP and use Avene SPF 20 (with tocopherols) I'm tempted to try Vichy...

I am using Sofina now (just a sample from Japan) and it feels like KISS ME's sunblock and it's 1/2 the price for folks in Japan/Singapore. Smells of alcohol though.

Avene smells nice. LRP smells like Zinc oxide.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi JozieGrozny

It's hard to say with Kathleen. She's much more broad-based than Bad Bird.

She's tried literally hundreds of ss and is continuing on her holy quest.

She has recommended Vichy in the past, as does MUA. I can actually get that locally so I'm going to try some.

(*edit*, sorry I see I put Vichy in my above post by accident, I meant Avene)

She's sampling the Bioderma new formulations now and recommends some of those, which look interesting. I feel like a spy Rolling Eyes .

Molly
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yes yes pls update us! I don't want to read all the posts there anymore... Confused Embarassed Sunblock talk here already gave me a migraine

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes yes pls update us!

Sorry, I'm not the man for the job. Posting about sunscreens seems to cause the biggest friction here and besides I can't get hold of any of them on my limited budget.

I'll let you know how the Vichy pans out, otherwise you're on your own.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Molly, where can you purchase Vichy in GZ? Smile I want to get one too before I go back home Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
OK, it's kind of difficult to find, but you can try.

Start at the Friendship Store (Youyi Shangdian) on Tao Jin Lu.

Walk up Tao Jin Lu (northwards). On your left you'll pass a Starbucks and a Hargendazz (sp?). The road then forks, keep left on the main road.

It's a small open, scruffy, little booth shop on your left a few shops before a big American supermarket chain with a red logo on the same side of the street. Can't for the life of me remember the name. If you reach the railway bridge you've gone too far.

I would say it's 3/4 mins walk from the friendship store.

They have three; the one for kids I understand is very good protection and has been compared to the Anthelios Pediatric, but I hear it's a bit white. I'm looking at the other two for the face.

Happy hunting Wink
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
my oh my, I don't check the site for a few hours and suddenly there are so many posts on this thread Wink

In Bad Bird's defence (although it doesn't really make any difference to me either way), she did also recommend a Biotherm extra protect 50. I can't find this in Canada though.

All I want to know is that if I'm going to put this "gunk" on my face that my skin really doesn't like, I really don't want to find out that it's not doing its job. That would really tick me off Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Cautious

I feel the best way to go about it is to take a balance of views from people who seem to understand their ss technology.

I've seen the Avene chemical ones recommended here by BB, on MUA's notepad and on theskincareboard. I would just leave it at that.

I just posted another thread with the exact SS's just below here somewhere.

I hope that's some help. Confused
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Molly! I found the "Pharmacy"! I purchased the VICHY UV ACTIV (Daily Protective Anti-pigmentation fluid)...

http://www.newskinhouse.com.tw/shopping_2.php?product_id=1141449953&area_id=1137206581&area_name=%E8%96%87%E5%A7%BF

I liked the consistency of this because it went matte Smile I will try it and review it soon Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |