Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

HELP! Regarding Early Pregnancy Test
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi.

Are positive reads on drugstore pregnancy tests ever wrong? I took one this morning and it said that I am pregnant Embarassed

I took it because my breasts are swollen and painful, and I am a little late. I had the same symptoms last fall when I went on a new depression medication(Cymbalta). Even though my period was two weeks late and my breasts were terribly swollen, I was not pregnant (thank goodness). The only difference that time is that I took a pregnancy test and it was negative.

I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, but I'm going nuts right now wondering if there is a chance I might not be pregnant.

--Bee
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bee! I would highly recommend you go see your doc if your home test came out positive for confirmation. I had a scare a while back and did a lot of reading on the accuracy of these tests. What I found out was that there are many false negatives, but false positives are pretty rare. Luckily mine came out negative and I started my period the next day.

It's such a scary thing to go through if you aren't ready to have children, so I truly feel for you. If you are indeed pregnant, you don't want to wait to go see a doc. That's why I'd recommend you go ahead and make an appointment. Good luck!!!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I just read that you already made an appointment so good for you. I know it's got to be hard having to wait. I suggest doing some research on the internet for yourself, just to satisfy your need for info until then. We're here to help as much as we can though!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Positive reads are typically accurate, unless by some chance the test or testing method itself is very flawed.

Most home pregnancy tests measure a certain amount of a certain type of hormones in the urine that are only present during pregnancy (Hcg-human chorionic gonadotropin). This hormone is what is actually being measured by that little strip in order for it to change colors, or make a certain design, etc. So unless you are currently taking some form of medication that contains Hgc, a false positive would be rare.

Typically, if a test is innacurate, a false negative due to user error or testing too early would be far more common.

However, I believe some tests if left out far too long (after use) can show a false positive, and again there is always a small chance of user error.

Also, I found this-
"A chemical pregnancy is basically an early miscarriage. Research has shown that half of all first pregnancies end in miscarriage. Due to the high sensitivity of home pregnancy tests, many women catch early pregnancies but end up going on to have their periods due to a chemical pregnancy."

Good luck! Do your best and try to relax and treat yourself until you find out more, you deserve it! I'm sure your nerves are a wreck...hang in there!
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
My doctor said no when I asked.

We just found that I'm pregnant on Wednesday! Very Happy
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Bee I hope that everything turns out well for you.

puglove congrats on your pregnancy! happy & healthy 9 mos to you.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your support guys. I need it tonight. And Huge Congratulations to you Puglove!

Unfortunately, I absolutely cannot have a baby because I have a serious health issue and take medications every day that are unsafe for pregnancy. I have been careful with birth control for years and years to avoid this situation, but I haven't been perfect lately, partly because I was starting to think that at my age I was unlikey to conceive. Not smart. Crying or Very sad I have been looking into tubal ligation recently, but obviously haven't gotten to it yet.

Anyway, for anyone reading this who is not in a place where they can be a mom, please learn from my mistake and be ever vigilant about the birth control. It is soooo important!

Again, thanks for your support -- my best girlfriends would all kill to be pregnant, and my husband is out of town, so I haven't been able to tell anyone besides you guys.

-- Bee
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Good luck Bee. I hope it all turns out well for you.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bee,

Just want to say hi and wish you well. Please keep us posted on how you're doing and let us know how the Dr. appointment goes on Tuesday. Very Happy

puglove,

Congratulations!!! Very Happy
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Bee-
You are so sweet to turn your unexpected situation into something positive already-by promoting the message of being consistent about birth control!

I just finished a book by the author Toni Weschler entitled 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility'. It deals predominantly with a natural, effective method of birth control (Note: NOT the rhythym method).
Basically by learning and charting your body's signs you can determine when you will be ovulating (and therefore choose the best time to abstain/use condoms or other methods of protection*of course if not in a monogomous relationship you should Always be using condoms*/or concieve, depending on your circumstances.) It can basically be used to prevent Or to plan a pregnancy.

I think that it is so easy to be relaxed about birth control when it Seems like you can't get pregnant. For example, I had decided about a year ago to go off the pill. It is almost 10 months later and still I have no period (and am not pregnant). My hormones just seem to still be out of wack from the pill. It is little reminders like yours that remind me to still be careful anyway! We sometimes just don't know what the future has in store for us.

I really feel for you and I wish you good luck in discussing your news with your partner, and in the future. I hope you feel like you have some support!
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I wish there were better methods of bc out there!!! I cannot tolerate any form of hormonal bc. I now have a copper IUD and have such heavy periods that even with taking iron supplements my iron is really low and I'm feeling the effects of that.

What is left? Diaphragm? I don't think the effectiveness % is high enough. Isn't it only around 80%. Yeesh!

Anyone have any ideas? What about the sponge? Has anyone tried that and is it very effective?

Bee: Sorry to get off the topic here a bit. I feel for you and wish you the best. It must be tough having to deal with this without having your partner there.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Bee, I think, everybody of us has had this problem already - either worried of yes or worried of no. we can feel with you.
take care!
lin

p.s. Puglove, a big congrat & hug.
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
olyn,

i was on the depo shot for 9 months, it took 8 months after that before i saw a sign of my period (a little spotting) and about another 4 before my period returned to normal.

i will *never* use a hormonal form of birth control ever again.

basically i think that after months of you telling your body what hormones it was going to experience, it can take a while for your body to "remember" how to do it on its own.

bee, good luck!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Pustekuchen,
Thank you for sharing that! I will also never use hormonal methods again. I had used both Depo and the pill (at different times), and I believe the Depo just wreaked havoc on my body. I took it for about a year and then went back on the pill to try and get my body back to normal...after I felt like my cycles were regulated I decided to stop taking the pill, because I finally realized some of the side effects I was having were due to the hormones I was putting into my body. It was a very hard decision but I have absolutely no regrets! I am really hoping my periods return again soon so I can start charting and using the FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) I described earlier.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Bee,
How did everything go at the doctor today? Are you okay?
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I didn't want to bump a bummer post to the top of the heap, but I wanted to say thanks to you guys for being so supportive. It has been a huge help this week.

The doctor confirmed that I was indeed pregnant (barely four weeks).

Because two medicines that I have to take have not been proven safe for unborn babies (and most likely are not safe), I made the decision (with my husband) to terminate my pregnancy. It's not a decision that I took lightly, but I'm okay with it because I believe that it was the right thing to do under the circumstances. I could go on, but that's the jist of it.

And now the best thing to do is to look forward. . . and, I suppose, to get back on track with my obsession with skincare (a very effective distraction, to be sure).

-- Bee
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry Bee. I can't imagine what a difficult time this has been for you. Be sure to be kind to yourself. (((hugs)))
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
Bee, i'm so sorry for what you are going through.

Bee wrote:

And now the best thing to do is to look forward. . .
-- Bee

Yes, I think you may be right on that

A big hug to you Smile
montrealgal
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
Puglove,

Congratulations to you and your SO on your pregnancy! Smile
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Bee, I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Take care of yourself and hope you get all the support you need from your husband. Wink
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Puglove, Congratulations to you and your husband. Take good care of yourself for your little angel! Very Happy
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bee,

Just want to send you some good wishes and hope you're doing okay. Take care of yourself. Smile
Rachael
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Bee, I made the decision to terminate a pregnancy six years ago. It is one of the hardest decisions you can ever be faced with. I still think about what happened and what might have been every day, but it does get easier and although you don't forget you do learn to live with it. I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I can't even imagine what was going on in your mind during that time. Take time to grieve the loss.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck, Bee!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |