Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
HELP! Hormonal chin acne! :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aakkbj
5% products discount

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing
I am totally agree with HeavenLeigh 's opinion.
We are all different from one another and try to cognize yourself.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Olyn, Yen, manslayerliz, and anyone who's face has been ravaged by acne after quitting the pill....any updates on current skin status? For me it's been 2.5 months and i'm still breaking out with an average of 2 cysts on my chin every week. It wasn't as bad as a couple of weeks ago when I first posted on this thread. I find that the clarisonic brush has greatly helped in shortening the lifespan of those dreaded buggers. Topicals don't work as they don't penetrate deep enough to where the cysts form. I tried Renee Rouleau's Anti-cyst treatment and it has done NOTHING for my cysts, in terms of size/redness/pain. I've just started taking Vit A, B and zinc, a suggestion from Rosebud i found on another thread. Sigh. I hear that your skin clears after 3 months of quitting and i long to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi dollbird. Getting off the pill has been a total nghtmare for me, but I'm still glad I did it as if I can just live through the acne my body can start getting back to normal. I went from having pretty good skin to getting a couple cysts on my chin a week--- unacceptable! I finally caved in and went to the derm for help. He injected the cysts with cortisone which made them go away over night. Then, to try to get things under control, he also prescribed me an oral antibiotic called solodyn, and differin topical cream. I don't want to irritate my skin too badly, so for now I've put my other actives aside and I'm just using my two prescriptions plus Burt's Bees Pore Refining Mask once a week, Dr. H rejuvenating Mask once a week, Dr. H toner and Rhythmic Night Conditioner before the differin at night, and O2 serum and jojoba oil during the day. I'm happy to report that since I began this program, my cysts went away and I haven't gotten a single one since. My face still looks like a warzone (at least to me!) but everything is healing up and nothing new is coming in, so I think I'm on the right track. Please keep us updated on your situation, dollbird, and to all the other EDS ladies who have recently gone off BC: please let us know what's working for you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if I have any useful advice, but this is my experience with this.

I have had pretty much perfect skin since using Accutane years ago. A while back, I started breaking out along my chin (which has always been my oily spot) and jaw. I immediately went running back to my beloved dermatologist. Which would be my first bit of advice to you - see a good dermatologist. Find one recommended by people you know with great skin. Do NOT sit around trying all different kinds of products. Go straight to the expert before you start experimenting. Seriously, you'll probably end up there eventually. Why not just start there. She put me on oral antibiotics and gave me Klaron to put on the affected areas. My skin cleared up in about 2 weeks. I still use the Klaron (very lightly) to keep everything clear. And that's it.
As a side note, when I first saw her, she did mention how the chin/jaw area was a sign of hormonal problems, and asked me about my periods. Apparently, irregular periods may have been a sign of ovarian cysts, which would explain the breakouts. She said it was pretty common. I fortunately was regular, so she ruled that out as a problem for me, but it is something to keep in mind.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:23 am      Reply with quote
has anyone tried the new oil of olay Definity face cream?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Olyn, Yen, manslayerliz, and anyone who's face has been ravaged by acne after quitting the pill....any updates on current skin status? For me it's been 2.5 months and i'm still breaking out with an average of 2 cysts on my chin every week. It wasn't as bad as a couple of weeks ago when I first posted on this thread. I find that the clarisonic brush has greatly helped in shortening the lifespan of those dreaded buggers. Topicals don't work as they don't penetrate deep enough to where the cysts form. I tried Renee Rouleau's Anti-cyst treatment and it has done NOTHING for my cysts, in terms of size/redness/pain. I've just started taking Vit A, B and zinc, a suggestion from Rosebud i found on another thread. Sigh. I hear that your skin clears after 3 months of quitting and i long to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Who said your skin is suppose to clear up after 3 months of being off the pill? I've been off the pill since last November my skin still hasn't completely cleared. My chin isn't a warzone anymore but still quite a bit of scarring. I went back to my old acne line Serious Skin Care Continuously Clear. I still break out here and there but not as nasty as before. My acne scars are fading faster now too. I'm still using the JB Green Apple Peel but it stings a bit more now. I know it's due to my SSC Daily Ritual Cleanser (it's a scrub). I also went to see a derm and he put me on Spironolactone (spelling?). I don't think the prescription is the reason my skin is getting better. SSC has worked for me in the past. We will see in the months to come. I do feel a lot better now that my makeup is going on smoother too. Smile

Dollbird, you should give Serious Skin Care a try.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
For me, using Retin-A as a spot treatment for chin cystic acne helps quite a bit. I also had to use amoxycillin for a while to stop the constant monthly breakouts. The pill made me crazy and my skin was a mess afterwards, too. I have found that using a lot of mineral supplements has helped, too. Zinc, magnesium, potassium, selenium, MSM everyday cut down on the cysts quite a bit.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback you guys!!! Reading your posts really made me feel better. I've made an appointment with the derm. Manslayerliz, did your skin get worse when you first started using differin? Also, do you just apply it on your chin?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird-- to answer your questions about differin, no, it didn't make my skin worse at all--- it's only been helping. However, I use the cream (not the gel) and I only apply it every other night right now to give my skin time to adjust. I've been using it all over. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
I haven't had any cysts for a while. I think it has been a combination of the supplements I have been taking and my skincare routine...and probably, the length of time I have been off bcps (I still have no period though). Anyway. My skin is still not as...predictable as it was before/during bcps but I am happy with the way it looks.
I think MMU and use of VitC products may have exacerbated some of the problems I was having early on. I did want to mention that I have been off bcps for almost 9 months now and I definitely had more problems with hormonal acne in my chin/jawline region a few months into it, more toward the beginning. It Does get better, so hang in there!
The zinc made a huge difference for me in terms of not only reduced inflammation but also reduced healing time. If I was forced to pare down the supplements I currently take, I would choose my women's multi and zinc above Everything else (except...maybe HA because of my vision problem). I stopped taking EPO (for now) just to see if I notice a huge difference, because I could swear since I started taking it I gained weight or retained more water in my breasts. Which is not something I particularly enjoy, as I am already a 32C/D and don't like feeling like I have to smush them into tank tops for the summer. Laughing
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
lol Olyn...thanks for the update. Good luck with your period. Have you heard of Vitex? Apparently it helps regulate hormones. As for me, I went out to get Vit A, B6 and Zinc. I also got a prescription for Sulfacet-R, which is basically Klaron, which Ch79 is using. Klaron is not available in Canada, but Sulfacet is...the difference is Klaron is just sodium sulfacetamide, whereas Sulfacet-R is sodium sulfacetamide + sulfur. It's a topical antibiotic. After doing extensive research, i settled on Sulfacet-R as it doesn't seem to have the side effects associated with Differin/Tazorac and other acne prescriptions. Plus it has a great rating on acne.org. Will update once I've given it about a week. I should have gone to see the doctor a long time ago, instead of trying to control my acne all by myself.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi ladies, it's me again. I'm back with results. It's been a week since seeing the doctor and getting a prescription for Sulfacet-R, and phew what a difference! Last week, 6 cysts in a row on my chin. This week, all gone. One new red-painful-underground-u-know-those-types-pimple was threatening to rear its ugly head but within 2 days it's going down and not painful anymore. I think this stuff is doing a great job at resolving existing acne as well as preventing new ones. I just hope that i can use it until my hormones even out and not grow resistant to the antibiotics. I've also incorporated the following into my regimen:

Vit A, B6, Zinc, Vitex, Dong Quai, Omega 3-6-9. I'm finally less stressed out about my skin and able to focus on other things..ie my final exam next month. Laughing Thanks for all the support ladies. For all of you who might be going through the same thing, there is a solution. And the solution is not over the counter. Smile Go see a doctor, take care of yourself and keep your head high.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Glad to hear that things are getting better for you Dollbird. Smile
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Glad you had such good luck!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies! Olyn, how is the Clarisonic working for you? Do you use it in addition to the dermawand? I guess acne isn't the main priority when it comes to formulating your skincare regime now since you're near the end of the hormonal bumpy ride (no pun intended ehheh). Just wondering if you're still doing anti-acne related stuff now that your skin has cleared and kudos, you've just gotten your period too! Very Happy
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, may I make a suggestion? I use a makeup removing cleansing gel, clarisonic and benzoyl peroxide everyday, but found that there is a key to my routine that I cannot do without or I WILL get acne - temples, forehead, jawline, chin, and neck. It is the Alba green papaya enzyme peel. It is aloe based and ph balanced. I use the cleanser with my clarisonic, rinse, apply the enzyme peel and leave on anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes, rinse again, and then continue on with my actives or BP. As soon as I go without the peel I start breaking out again. I have no idea why, but when I follow the routine correctly and everyday I stay clear.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Thanks ladies! Olyn, how is the Clarisonic working for you? Do you use it in addition to the dermawand? I guess acne isn't the main priority when it comes to formulating your skincare regime now since you're near the end of the hormonal bumpy ride (no pun intended ehheh). Just wondering if you're still doing anti-acne related stuff now that your skin has cleared and kudos, you've just gotten your period too! Very Happy

Dollbird,
I wrote out a long informative reply to this the other night just before I was leaving for vacation and my cpu froze! So it is saved at home, I'll update it when I get back from vacation. Smile And I totally forgot my Clarisonic at home, because I am an idiot. I do like it though, it even has a lonely post-it on it that says 'Don't Forget Me!' Rolling Eyes Oops.
COMPTON
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Hi dollbird. Getting off the pill has been a total nghtmare for me, but I'm still glad I did it as if I can just live through the acne my body can start getting back to normal. I went from having pretty good skin to getting a couple cysts on my chin a week--- unacceptable! I finally caved in and went to the derm for help. He injected the cysts with cortisone which made them go away over night. Then, to try to get things under control, he also prescribed me an oral antibiotic called solodyn, and differin topical cream. I don't want to irritate my skin too badly, so for now I've put my other actives aside and I'm just using my two prescriptions plus Burt's Bees Pore Refining Mask once a week, Dr. H rejuvenating Mask once a week, Dr. H toner and Rhythmic Night Conditioner before the differin at night, and O2 serum and jojoba oil during the day. I'm happy to report that since I began this program, my cysts went away and I haven't gotten a single one since. My face still looks like a warzone (at least to me!) but everything is healing up and nothing new is coming in, so I think I'm on the right track. Please keep us updated on your situation, dollbird, and to all the other EDS ladies who have recently gone off BC: please let us know what's working for you!

Man slayer how has solodyn done for you as of so far?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:23 am      Reply with quote
I really like Solodyn--- it's REALLY helped with the blemishes. I just wih it weren't so darn expensive!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Ok I'm back from vacation! Here is the post I originally wrote last week (didn't bring my cpu with me):

Dollbird,
I like the Clarisonic but I didn't notice any huge results from it. (No negative ones either though!) I had been using a regular cheap motorized face brush before and I got a pretty similar result. I feel like the Clarisonic is a lot more efficient though so I will continue to use it. I do still use the derma wand, I LOVE it. My skincare routine is still semi-targeted at acne, because I am prone to those tiny clogged pores that form small bumps overnight. Or during the day, whatever. They happen fast, that's all I know. I think my skin just might hate MMU. Sad

I had purchased the skinactives acne kit awhile back to test it out and I am really trying to use up the products that I have, if possible. I'm also a fan of the burts bees orange essence cleanser, so I use that too. Basically right now I kind of use a conglomeration of products from different brands that I felt have been positive for my skin.

In the mornings I use the Burts cleanser, then since it's summer, I usually do a quick once over with a SA cleanser with just my hands (sometimes I use the Clarisonic with it, it depends on how much time I have). Quick once over with the derma wand. Then I apply a toner with glycolic acid. Then I apply the skinactives cream, to which I have added a couple of drops of ylang ylang, lavender, and a tiny bit of rosemary EOs.

Then I use the dermawand to help everything penetrate faster/increase circulation. It sounds like a lot, but probably takes about 5 minutes total. Maybe less. Mostly I'm trying not to be too rough with my skin, but I'm trying to control oil/clogged pores/increase circulation too. At night it's mostly the same minus the Burt's and plus the Clarisonic. I've been using the JB Green apple peel 1-2 times a week. I'm pretty pleased with my skin overall, but I do change things up now and then and lately I've been experimenting with different types of makeup/techniques. Smile

Ok that's what I had written/was too lazy to retype! Also I wanted to update that after a week or so without the Clarisonic, I look forward to using it again but I didn't notice a huge difference by not using it. What about you, any updates? Still using the Serious Skincare line? (I thoughI read that's what you were using.)
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the informative update, Olyn! Smile It was Yen who uses the Serious Skin Care line. I love my Clarisonic...when used on my palm, i can feel the "drawing out" action of the rotating bristles. That's why i think it makes my pimples come to head faster. I've tried going without it. Don't know if it's psychological, but i just don't feel like my face is properly cleansed whenever i don't use it.

An update on my skin: I am seriously freaking out. As cysts continue to appear on my chin, today one appeared on my jawline!!! It's the hard, painful, underground, frozen-pea type. I don't know how to deal with it, coz it's such superficial acne...the type that is deep under the skin. Normal acne is all on the surface. No amount of topical will penetrate that deep. Is it normal that cysts "migrate" up the jawline from the chin, after stopping the pill? I'm so worried the cysts will migrate all over my face, to the point that i've become paranoid about new bumps forming, checking my face all day. I go to sleep at night knowing that i will wake up with new ones. It's been 3 months post-pill, and i'm wondering how much worse it can get before it gets better (if it even gets better). Sad I'm contemplating on taking spironolactone, but am wary about more pill popping. Furthermore, reviews on acne.org say that acne comes back with a vengeance once u stop taking it. I'm at my wits end of this acne battle. Suggestions from anyone at this point will be greatly appreciated.
yuhu32

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi dollbird,
Did you manage to rid yourself of your acne problem on your chin, cheeks and forehead? I have the very same problem and have found some great, inexpensive, solutions. If you're still interested, let me know. Very Happy

yuhu32

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Never fear, dollbird! This chin-acne isn't going to get the better of us! Actually, my situation is pretty much exactly the same as yours. I've been off the pill for about 3 or so months, and when I went to the derm last month I had some really awful cysts on my chin. He injected them with cortisone (ahhh, sweet relief!!), and then that's when I started the Differin and the oral antibiotics. Well, that regimen helped me a great deal, BUT last week another dreadful cyst appeared a bit further up on my jaw. Determined to nip this situation in the bud, I called for another derm. appt right away, and I went in today for it. However, interestingly enough between the time I made the appt and the time I went in today the cyst healed almost completely thanks to the oral antibiotics, so I actually didn't even need an injection today! Instead, she switched up my antibiotics (the old ones I was taking didn't come in generic form and they were waaaaaay too expensive) and then also prescribed Tazorac since it's stronger than Differin for me to just use instead of the Differin once or twice a week. So, the moral of the story is, it IS possible to show this stubborn cystic acne who wears the pants, but you might need some help. I can't remember---- have you been to a derm yet? (Thanks to this new treatment the rest of my face is looking relatively amazing! I'll give a full update on the new regimen later.) Good luck, and keep fighting the good fight!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
yuhu32 wrote:
Hi dollbird,
Did you manage to rid yourself of your acne problem on your chin, cheeks and forehead? I have the very same problem and have found some great, inexpensive, solutions. If you're still interested, let me know. Very Happy

yuhu32

Hi Yuhu32, what do you suggest? i'll try almost everything at this point. What did not work for me:

Proactiv
Emu oil
BP
Tea tree oil
Oregano oil
Salicylic acid
Glycolics
Sulfur and other drying lotions
Decleor Ylang Ylang
Yonka Juvenil
JB Blemish Clearing serum
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Never fear, dollbird! This chin-acne isn't going to get the better of us! Actually, my situation is pretty much exactly the same as yours. I've been off the pill for about 3 or so months, and when I went to the derm last month I had some really awful cysts on my chin. He injected them with cortisone (ahhh, sweet relief!!), and then that's when I started the Differin and the oral antibiotics. Well, that regimen helped me a great deal, BUT last week another dreadful cyst appeared a bit further up on my jaw. Determined to nip this situation in the bud, I called for another derm. appt right away, and I went in today for it. However, interestingly enough between the time I made the appt and the time I went in today the cyst healed almost completely thanks to the oral antibiotics, so I actually didn't even need an injection today! Instead, she switched up my antibiotics (the old ones I was taking didn't come in generic form and they were waaaaaay too expensive) and then also prescribed Tazorac since it's stronger than Differin for me to just use instead of the Differin once or twice a week. So, the moral of the story is, it IS possible to show this stubborn cystic acne who wears the pants, but you might need some help. I can't remember---- have you been to a derm yet? (Thanks to this new treatment the rest of my face is looking relatively amazing! I'll give a full update on the new regimen later.) Good luck, and keep fighting the good fight!

Omg Liz, our stories ARE similar! what is bugging me about that jawline cyst is not because it's inflamed or anything (i can easily cover up with concealer) but the fact that it's THERE!!! I never got any spot remotely close to that area before, and never could have imagined my skin was capable of producing those bad buggers there. Yes i've been to the derm who gave me Sulfacet-R (topical antibiotics with sulfur), which is working ok, but not preventing new ones. Plus it is drying out my skin. She gave me samples of Differin, which i'm afraid to use because i'm not supposed to use any other topical with the Sulfacet. Unfortunately with my very hectic lifestyle right now i don't know if i can afford to go to the derm twice a week for cortisone shots, and don't know if it's healthy to do that so often for a long time. I am contemplating on stopping the topical antibiotics and starting the differin, but scared of the purging side effects so many have with differin. i can't really afford for my skin to get any worse now. I know you're one of the lucky ones who did not experience the initial purge. Do you apply tazorac on your chin and jawline only?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |