Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

StriVectin-AR Advanced Retinol Day Treatment SPF 30 (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cellcosmet Repair-XT Cream (75 ml / 2.54 oz) Bioelements FaceScreen SPF 50 (68 ml / 2.3 floz)
OCM - Are my pores just TOO clogged?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
barbiegal7

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here on the forum! Very Happy However, I have been reading with GREAT interest the threads on OCM for a couple of months. I was finally able to make the time today to get to the health food store and get the cold-pressed CO and EVOO. Since I have combination skin with GIANT pores (runs in my family, unfortunately), so I decided to go with the 25 EVOO/75 CO. I massaged for about 2 1/2 min., then did the hot-water washcloth on my face until it cooled, then wiped it off. I did notice a couple of plugs when massaging, but I could definitely see I still had blackheads and clogged pores on the cheeks next to my nose and on my chin. I've been using ACV toner for about four months, and that has definitely helped, but I can't seem to rid my pores ENTIRELY of gunk.

Is it possible that my pores have just been so large for so long and are SO deep that conventional methods of any kind are just not going to get them clean?? I'm almost afraid if I DO get them entirely clean that I'm going to have these giant, cavernous holes on my face and will have me wishing they were full again!!

Any thoughts on this?

BTW, I LOVED how my face felt and how the non-giant-pore skin looked after the OCM. I definitely plan to continue. I followed with ACV toner (picked up organic as well as the health food store today instead of the store brand I'd been using) and Lumene Radiant-C.

Thanks in advance!
Rene'
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
hey barbiegal7,

give the OCM a chance, i'm glad you saw some results this first time, but it's not all gonna happen at once Smile i've been OCMing twice a week for about a month and half now, and it's a progression for me.

lots of people do it every day (i'm just not dedicated enough to.) so if that works for you, go for it.

but it'll take some time to clear all those pores out.

good luck!
barbiegal7

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I wondered if that might be the case. So many people talked about all the "gunk" coming out on their first go 'round, so I was hoping to see the miracle, too! LOL! I do plan to do it every night, but I definitely don't have time to do it in the morning.

Thanks again,
Rene'
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Can I suggest Aspirin mask? Or a salicylic acid treatment (I think Murad has one). This should work "under" your skin to draw out the blackheads and make them shed together with OCM!!! Laughing

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Cool! I know if I search I can find the recipe, but after a LOOOONNNGGGG Monday, could I be so lazy as to ask you to tell me the procedure?? Confused Also, would I do this after OCM? Before? At a different time?

THANKS!
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Barbiegal.. Smile

Here you go:

This recipe was posted originally on www.makeupalley.com when I first joined in 2003. It is still talked about on the forum.

plain uncoated aspirin are best
(I find that Walmart no name brand are the cheapest.)

I dissolve in hot water; just a few drops from my instant hot water dispenser.

I mash with a spoon. You can use just aspirin and water; however it is flaky.

You can add a half teaspoon of the following to give it better body and sticking together properties.

1) plain yogurt (source of lactic acid)
2) honey (moisturizing)
3) aloe vera gel (the kind from the health store that is almost 100% pure)

I usually use 6-10 aspirins. I also like to do my chest area also.

Apply on a clean face leave on 5 - 10 minutes and rinse well.

The active ingredient in aspirin is a form of BHA. It also gently exfoliates. I try to use 1 - 2 a week.

You can also spot treat a blemish by using just one aspirin and a little water. It takes the redness out and seems to help with healing.

*NOTE* must be aspirin. Tylenol, motrin,etc will not work. Uncoated is best. Coated will work however it is more difficult to dissolve.
Here's the thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

It made me wow first time I used it Smile I used it alone with just water Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I tried OCM in varying methods/combinations of oils...with varying results. The 75% CO/25% grapeseed oil worked the best for me but the mess and non-portability had me keep looking for new methods. I tried Burts Bees Orange Essence cleanser and got better results from that than I did with any type of OCM. It works very much the same way, but in my opinion smells better, and is stickier so it helped to pull the gunk out and loosen dead skin better than just plain OCM. Also I definitely using a toner after OCM as it helps close/tighten your pores so that new dirt or makeup wont go right back in, plugging them back up! You mentioned using ACV toner, just be sure not to skip this step as (at least for me) it was an important one!

One of the other things that I have seen a lot on here for reducing/tightening pore size-and I believe this is just a temporary fix, but I wanted to mention it is:Milk of Magnesia. Maybe try doing a board search for that? I haven't tried it but lots of people mention it works.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
joziegrozy wrote:
Can I suggest Aspirin mask? Or a salicylic acid treatment (I think Murad has one). This should work "under" your skin to draw out the blackheads and make them shed together with OCM!!! Laughing

one thing I notice about the aspirin mask is that it brings up the blackheads, especially if I leave it on for under 15 minutes for some reason.....

maybe try the aspirin mask first, and then the OCM?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I've been hearing all this talk about aspirin masks as of late. Are they for clearing out clogged pores and refining them? I would love to try one...Can I just use the aspirin in my house? How many does one use per time? What do you mix it with, if anything? Also, I have mild rosacea and turn red often with certain products...could it possible turn the skin red? My pores get clogged from the mineral sunscreen I use...hopefully this would work?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
The aspirin mask turns my face extremely red every time I use it, but calms down after I apply my moisturizer. I'm not sure how it would be for rosacea though, might make your skin worse. You could maybe try a very mild one to test it out, just one aspirin (non-coated) and a little yogurt or water to see how your skin tolerates it. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Purpleturtle,
If you have rosacea, I would be Very careful about using the aspirin mask. If you do go this route, patch test it somewhere first (like behind your ear). I also second the Sportygirl's suggestion to add yogurt to the aspirin, and to not use very much aspirin at first. Uncoated pure aspirin is the best, bc it dissolves when you add a couple drops of liquid, so you don't have to smash it up. The best version of the aspirin mask I have tried is:
3-4 aspirin
1 tsp yogurt
1 tsp honey
2 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops calendula extract
enough kaolin clay to make a paste

The yogurt and honey seem to prevent the dryness I would experience from just using straight aspirin and water or aloe. The lavender and calendula are not a necessity help to prevent redness, as they are both calming. Lavender is also mildy antiseptic, and calendula promotes healing properties. The kaolin is a very mild clay that I do not find to be drying, and it helps everything else seem to stick together. Hope this helps! Smile
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Olyn, absolutely a patch test, sorry, I should have stated that. Don't put it all over your face the first time out! Smile

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have fair, sensitive skin, so I should probably patch test the aspirin mask first as well.

Although, surprisingly, I had NO problems with ACV - even without diluting it!

BTW - has anyone used vitamin E capsules mixed in with the aspirin mask to help it stick? I was thinking about opening up a couple of capsules for my first go around rather than running out to buy plain yogort.

Rene'
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:13 am      Reply with quote
rene,

you can even just mix it with water.

milk works, honey works, some people mix the aspirin into their OCM, if i remember correctly--or maybe that's the woman who buys the salycilic acid from the pharmacist.

anyway, it's pretty flexible and is all about you finding what works best for you.

go ahead and try the Vit. E, just make sure to dissolve the aspirin in water first, as it's water soluble, not fat.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
I had a lot of success with adding a clay mask to my OCM mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil. I started by doing OCM every night, followed with the warm wash cloth. I noticed a small improvement with the blackkheads on my nose. They had been there forever. I added Murad's clarifying mud mask, and when I removed it, most of the blackheads were gone. Now I OCM only a couple of times a week, and follow with the mask. My nose has stayed pretty much clear.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Brightening Cream (1 oz) StriVectin-AR Advanced Retinol Day Treatment SPF 30 (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Ahava Bright Skies Travel Set (5 items)