Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bad reaction to IPL, please help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sassy180
5% products discount

Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am new to this board and I have a dilemma. I had my third IPL treatment done on June 9 and my face is a mess. I have a lot of red blotches on my cheeks and my capillaries are ten times worse than before and I developed a whole bunch of new ones. The strange thing is I had IPL treatments done last year and I didn’t have a reaction like this before. My face always gets swollen after each treatment but gets back to normal after one week.
Last year I had a series of 6 treatments done and it turned out great. It never got totally rid of my caps but they were a lot less noticeable.
Right now my face looks like a road map. My caps are bright red and I have new caps at places I didn’t have them before. I am scared they won’t go away. Has this happened to anyone else before? Does it sometimes look worse before it looks better? How long should I wait to call the derm? I am really worried.
Thank you so much for any advise.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
sassy180

I've never had IPL treatments, but from everything I've read, it IS frequently the case that broken capillaries become far more pronounced. The good news is that they are then supposed to fade. In fact, it may not be a bad reaction at all, but a good one.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Do keep us posted !
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
My face always looks messed up for a few days after, but marks and caps have always faded away over time. Since you've had it done before, they may have used a little higher setting, so marks may look a little more pronounced this time. Mine have always been temporary so just give it a while and see what happens.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:37 am      Reply with quote
Thank you ladies.
I hope you are right katee, that it may be actually a good reaction.
Sportygirl, they did use a higher setting this time. It hurt like hell, even with the numbing cream. How long did it take for your caps to fade away?
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I think it took about 2 weeks last time, and I also went to a higher setting and had a few light bruises too! But of course as usual my face looked great after everything healed. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sassyred,
I haven't had IPL done on the face, but I had 5 treatments of laser/sclero therapy combo on my legs, to get rid of spider and reticular veins.

I always get more pronounced red spiderveins from laser, and sometimes it does seem like there's more of them and in larger knots. They fade and disappear, but it may take a pretty long time. First 3 times it varied, but the longest it took for them to disappear was 4 months.

It does help to moisturize the area a lot and last 2 times I took A LOT of vitamin C (internally), 500mg every hour for 3 days. It seemed to speed up the fading. Not sure if applying topical C might help too.

i'm not even sure if it works the same for the face, sorry. HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
It kind of sounds like they used a higher setting. I always have a few more red spots until they fade. Try giving it about a few more weeks and see where you are. Also, did you use any retinol products too soon after? That can also have that effect.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Annie, I did use a retin A (0.025) product until about 2 days before the IPL and I haven't used it since. I only used it on my forehead and under my eyes though, not on the rest of my face.
I am going to wait it out for a while and hope it will get better. thank you.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I too had a worse reaction on my last one in late May and still have red spots and more redness than usual. I had horrible swelling for up to 5 days. My reaction was because the IPL was set higher and she does up to the eye. It did kind of stretch my skin out a little I think also. I can no longer use my Proheal right now since I had a reaction to it, but am using Kinerase cream which doesn't seem to bother it. My derm gives it to me for right after the treatment.

5% products discount

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I had really bad swelling for almost one week. My derm did it up to the eye as well and on a very high setting, I have very light skin. My face still feels hot at times. I just hope they didn't do any permanent damage to my face. What do you mean by stretched your skin? Is your face sagging now?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I notice a few deeper lines where they were more shallow before in the nsaolabial area. I had restylane there so it could also be that the IPL dissolved it but they SWEAR it is not "supposed" to. I pointed it out to hubby and he agrees. It could also be that I pay closer attention after to look at results but I don't think so.

5% products discount

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
That really sucks. I am sorry to hear that. Well, I don't think I will continue with IPL treatments, too many problems. For my caps I think I will get some electric needle treatments. They always work and there are never any problems with redness and such. Lasers are just too risky no matter what Dr.
sarah19
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
hi ,i have also had 3 ipl treatments the first one helped then the second one i had very bad swelling for that couldnt even open up my eye it went down alot then it was but i still feel my face is much more puffy and that the fluid just hasnt drained in my skin, i then went back for a 3rd treatment and i dont think my skin could take it and it made the puffiness worse,

I do think it helped a little as i had good results for month but now it seems to have gone back to the same problem i dont know what to do and still ahve this puffy skin, surely puffiness goes down?how long should it take?i had my last treatment in April?I f anyone fancys chatting i have msn and its much quicker to chat on there, where did you go for your ipl treatments Sassy180?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
when i got ipls done, they told me i'd have dark red spots for days. My capillaries were enlarged too, but they all faded and disappeared. Youre symptoms sound like they really got down in the deeper parts of your skin, which is a good thing Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I was really scared after my IPL treatment. My whole left cheek was extremely bruised. The capillaries on my right side were more pronounced and very red. As others have said, they used a very high setting. After healing (approximately three weeks) I was delighted I decided to have IPL.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I agree Winnie. I am always so glad to have it done even with the pain and swelling. I am a HUGE bruiser. First time left me with huge purple bruises. Every time it gets better and the bruising lighter, even though I still have the swelling. But I will continue to have them done 'cause the results are so worth it.

5% products discount

Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Sarah, I got my IPL treatments done by a dermatologist in Manhattan Beach, California.
I had 6 IPL treatments done by her last year and it turned out wonderful. Until they used a vascular laser on me to treat individual capillaries on my face. It turned out horrible. It left me with more caps and a lot of red spots. It took almost 1 year to heal and my caps were still there. On me lasers just don't work on caps. I have tried other places too and I was never satisfied with the results. I still like my IPL treatments, I just have to make sure they are using a setting that is not so high. IPL's never did anything to remove my caps but were great for improving my overall skintexture and tone and making my pores smaller and my skin tighter. I will try electrocoagulation next to remove my caps. But I will wait at least 2 months or longer before I go. Does anybody know of a good place to go to get caps zapped with electric needle in the Los Angeles area? I tried google and couldn't find any place.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |