Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What toiletries to pack for a VERY long trip?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
So... here's my dilemma: Once I take the bar exam, I am heading down to South America and then over to Asia. I'm tentatively going to the Galapagos Islands, treking to Macchu Pichu, travelling through SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, VietNam, Laos), and then ending with a two week tour of India w/ my dad.

Due to luggage limits and the fact that I have to haul and keep track of all this stuff, I'm going to try to be packing as light as possible, which means I can't fill up half my backpack with skin care products!!!!

So--how do I keep my skin clean and treated (and hopefully not too broken out) through all these different climates and all the travelling and all the different water?

Any suggestions for a pared down toiletry bag?

Currently I'm using:
AM
-Olay Total Effects Anti-Wrinkle/Anti-Blemish Face Wash (NOT all natural in the least, but lately stress was making me break out and I needed something)

Or, Burt's Bees Tomato Complexion Soap & Toner (just started using this, not sure how I like it)

-Olay Total Effects lotion (w/ SPF 15)

PM
-Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser (don't think I'll always have access to hot/warm water to use with my facecloth to remove all traces)
-PSF O2 Serum
-Decleor Balm (got a few samples, so I've been trying the Essential Balm and like it)

I also do masks--usually aspirin, sometimes another concoction, and once a week I do some kind of peel (currently PSF pumpkin enzyme).

I have a variety of blemish fighters--Burt's Bees Parsley, homemade Emulsion Pure, PSF Acne Mud mask, etc.

OBVIOUSLY this can't all come with me. So what do I do? Any suggestions?

When I joined the Peace Corps I thought I was brilliant--I brought 1 bar of this soap that was designed for hair and body, and a bottle of leave in conditioner, and thought that was all I would need. HA! I quickly started begging for products to be sent from home.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from others who have travelled and pared down their products.
Thanks!
-aryn

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe put your faves into smaller containers, or get some sample packets which will last for several uses.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Ok! Here are my suggestions: First, find a cleanser that is gentle enough to be used as face wash AND body wash. Trust me, they do exist! Some suggestions: Jason Tea Tree Hand and Face Wash, Zenbiotic Face and Body Cleanser, and Alba Hawaiian Passion Fruit Body Wash. Another good option is Philosophy's 3-in-One washes, as they can be used for body wash, shampoo, and yes, face wash in a pinch. Next, bring a bottle/tub of good, creamy conditioner and you can also use it to shave your legs and armpits, should you desire to do so. Bring a non-comodogenic body moisturizer like Alba's Body Lotion that can also be used on your face, if needed. Of course, you'll need some serious sunscreen. I would HIGHLY recommend a tin of badger balm as it is small, but can be used for hand cream, foot cream, lip balm, etc etc. Lastly, I'd recommend a blemish pen that can also be used on bug bites and cuts--- like the one from burt's bees, cellex c, sanoflore, etc etc. Oh, and of course some sort of face/body spritz that can freshen your body and double as a toner, like Dr. H toner, Juice Beauty toner, Caudalie Beauty Elixer, etc etc. (A few more useful items: makeup removing wipes--- I like Ponds---, baby powder or Jason's Tea Tree Powder--- good for absorbing sweat AND oil on unwashed hair---, and O2 serum ) HTH!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
I would definitely take the O2 serum because it can be used to heal cuts, sunburn and zits also. I would pour it into a screw cap plastic bottle though to make it lighter and to prevent leaking (on my recent trip the top cap came off and the pump discharge the serum into my cosmetic bag an expensive loss).
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a link where we discussed packing for a backpacking holiday where space was limited. Has some good tips. Hope that helps.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13495&highlight
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Wildflower! I don't know how I missed that thread.

And thanks for the rest of the great suggestions.

Manslayerliz, I think you're right about the multi-tasking products... I guess that means more shopping!

And I would hate to end up "treating" my toiletry kit w/ the 02 serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sharky is totally right--- I underestimated the O2 serum. It's a must bring!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
It seems as if you use a lot of Burt's Bees, from what I recall they have small travel sets. Just buy one and along w/your O2 you're ready to go!
neroliwater
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
For face cleaning, you can try makeup removal wipe. Those are efficient enough to remove makeup and clean face all at once. For moisturizing, a tube of Dr. Hauschka regenerating mask can serve as a day/night cream/mask/emergency relief. All you need to pack is another tube of sunscreen. Clinique Cityblock SPF40 is a good one. I know lots of ppl don't like Clinique, I do too. But trust me, this one is a good one.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
It just occurred to me that you're asking women on how to pack light! Laughing

This is what I do when I pack: I allow myself two bags for skincare/ bath. I have a run-of-the-mill toiletries bag, the kind designed to hang on a door or something. It's compact enough that it doesn't take up a lot of room in a suitcase or duffel. the other is a plain plastic storage bag. Anything I can fit in these two things comes with me! If it gets to the point that I cant close them, then I need to pare down. I usually use the plastic bag for bigger stuff I'm convinced I need like my full size conditioner or shave gel. Anything leaky.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I almost forgot to recommend sunscreen, it's summer time and in ASIA esp the places you're going, you'll BURN and DIE w/o sunscreen Bad Grin I recommend Clarin's UVPlus SPF40, it's SUPER light. I tried Clinique's too rich, and it causes me to break out. Also it comes w/much smaller packaging. It's meant for your face but you can probably use it on your body. Jurlique has good body sunscreens as well. The Clarins also uses 100% mineral filters.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:26 am      Reply with quote
Here are some other thoughts as you shop around.

A shampoo and conditioner in one - drugstore brands like Pantene and Suave make them. Not great for regular use, but might be sufficient for travel in humid clients, particularly since I would guess you'll be wearing your hair up depending on length.

A gentle cleanser like Cetaphil can be used for face, body, and shaving with minimal water.

A good quality sunscreen might successfully double as a face and body moisturizer. I'm thinking Shiseido or Clarins. Asks for samples at the counter in advance and see if any cause breakouts.

Tea tree oil would work to spot treat blemishes and as an astringent for cuts and bug spots. Alternatives would be alcohol prep pads or even a dab of plain white toothpaste.

That would leave plenty of room for some samples of special products like masks.

You might also throw in some facial cleansing wipes and diaper wipes for emergency cleanings without water.

Have fun!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
First, best of luck on the bar exam!

For your travel bag I would suggest packing makeup remover wipes (I love the traget brand ones and they come in a very squishy 'packable' bag.

This may help you eliminate some of your facial wash.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |