Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
which pale face foundation do you use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:38 am      Reply with quote
i'm very pale, usually the lightest shade in any foundation, but not ghost white. my problem is the tonal qualities of foundation. quite a lot have yellow in them and i do not have yellow in my skin. they make me look like i have hepatitis. i tend to be a more neutral. but those shades, i've found, tend to have a tinge of grey which makes me look ill. a very pale pinkish one might work, but i've yet to find it.

does anyone know of a very light foundation/tinted moisturiser that does not cause acne and is either truly neutral or slightly pink-based? i'm at my wit's end here!

TIA
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure where you live or your skin type but I have combo/oily skin that breaks out and I use Lancome Maquicake UVforever powder foundation. It's only available in Asia specifically HK, Japan (limited colours), Taiwan and China. I got the lightest which is a 10 and it is VERY pale, NOT white and I found it does not give me a yellow tone (which my skin has). It looks good on me either way and this may suit you. It has SPF 24 and it is supposedly is good for even the most humid climates and absorbs oil/sweat and is supposed to last for 14 hours.

Sonia Rykiel is also a good foundation, I use the shade 20 which DOES have a bit of a yellow tone but there is a color lighter than that which would probably be more suited to you. I use the Supreme Eclat Compact foundation. This one is more creamy (not thick creamy, more water-creamy) so if you have less oily skin this may be good for you. I got this in HK as well, but if you live in the US it MAY be available, I'm not sure (it's a Paris brand). This one leaves a nice dewy finish and will NOT dry out your skin at all.

Neither of these foundations have cause any breakouts for me. I prefer the former in the summer and latter in the winter.

If you want light colours you should look into Japanese brands, usually they have really light colours.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:19 am      Reply with quote
thank you, sormuimui. i'm afraid i'm stuuck in paris and most of the places have only the darker foundations available (as most skin here is darker than mine). i know that japanese brands (or even regular lines sold in japan) are lighter and have no problem ordering through the internet. my problem is more the shading. i'm hoping to find something i can actually *try* first.... i haven't seen SR here, but will look for this in the big department stores. perhaps they'll have all the shades (unlike Guerlain Fleur de Teint -- pout). thank you for your suggestion.
Emma_Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:30 am      Reply with quote
I use Jane Iredale pressed base in Ivory. I also find that the palest colour in some brands is the wrong colour for my skin. I am so bad with figuring out what colour I need, an esthetician picked this out for me. I think that it is described as a "cool" colour on EDS, but JI describes it as neutral on their website, and I am currently examining my compact, and to me it looks like it has a pinkish hue. I don't see a grey tinge to it at all, but I think the appearance of grey may be very dependent on your skin tone. While yellow doesn't suit me, I also can't wear colours that are too far into the "cool" end of the colour range.

And, it does not cause acne for me. Also, despite the fact that it is a powder, I find that it works reasonably well in terms of hiding break outs.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Since you're interested in SR here are the full names of the products I use:

Makeup Base (i LOVE this as it has a lot of botanicals that you usually won't find in bases. It is also supposed to be hydrating for your skin)
L'atout Eclat Sublime (Soin base de Teint)

Foundation:
Boitier Pour Eclateint Supreme

Sonia Rykiel is a Paris Designer, however, both of mine say "made in japan". And it says "exclusive sale through authorized dealers" (I bought mine in a Sonia Rykiel store). I'm almost 100% sure that they SHOULD have them in Paris as there are head offices in Paris, London, New York and Tokyo. But I'm not sure if they will have your colours.

HTH
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:46 am      Reply with quote
I don't know whether it might be slightly too yellow for you, but Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Tinted Moisturiser is lovely in Nude. I think there's a lighter colour, too.

I'm using it at the moment and absolutely love it. Great staying power, looks perfect on the skin and somewhere nice between matte and glow.

It also has an SPF of 20.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I'm like you, sormuimui-- I'm pale, but I have neutral to pink undertones, while a lot of foundations have yellow undertones. I've had luck with BE in 1.0 Fair. I also found a perfect match in Maybelline Pure Makeup. Their lightest shade, porcelain ivory has a nice pink tone to it. I also find that just because I'm fair that doesn't mean the fairest shade will work for me. I always look for shades with the words "natural", like "natural ivory," and so forth, because they're usually the ones without yellow tones to them. Hope that helps!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
i cannot use any of the mineral makeup listed above because of the bismuth (sp?) -- had such a horrid reaction to it. i love the concept, but the reality was awful!

majorb -- i tried the LM tinted moisturiser in Ivory and liked it, it was a fairly good match but it broke me out. this was *before* they had the oil-free version, so perhaps i can try to get my hands on it....

thank you all for the suggestions and keep them coming! i've spent sooooo much money on foundations, and just want to settle down and be monogamous. Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
The oil-free version goes on easily, blends well and doesn't dry out your skin - which was a major concern for me with my dryness. It also has better staying power, so the SA told me, than the normal LM Tinted Moisturiser.

If you can, best to do what I did and get the SA to apply it, so you can leave it on all day to see if it suits you.

This is my first ever tinted moisturiser and I'm seriously impressed with it.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Just hyunted out the box to type out the (scarily small-printed) ingredients for you. Maybe you can tell from them whether there's anything detrimental to your skin in there:

water, disiloxane, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, ethylhexyl palmitate, glycerin, isohexadecane, cyclopentasiloxane, ptenoxyethanol, boron nitride, jojoba esters, magnesium stearate, sodium dehydroacetate, squalane, lauryl PCA, tocopheryl acetate, tetrabutyl pentaerithrityl hydroxyhydrocinnammate, isopropyl titanium trisostearate, disodium Edta, PPG-15 stearyl ether, dipotassium glycyrrhizinate, methylparaben, propylparaben. May contain (+/-) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxide (CI 77491), iron oxide (CI 77499)

Eek! My eyes! That print was certainly tiny! Laughing
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
so i looked up the ingredients on the web (much easier on the eye -- tee hee, thank *you* for doing that) of the regular TM in case anyone else is following these posts to compare:

Active Ingredients: Octyl methoxycinnamate & menthyl anthranilate. Other Ingredients: Purified water, cetearyl alcohol (and) PEG-40 Castor Oil (and) POE-20, dimethicone, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, cyclomethicone, DEA-ceryl phosphate, hexyl laurate, kalaya oil, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate), cetyl dimethicone copolyol, diazolidinyl urea, sodium dehydroacetate, sodium hyaluronate, allantoin, carbomer, methylparaben, magnesium aluminum silicate, sodium ascorbate (vitamin C), propylparaben. May Contain: Titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica.

i honestly haven't been paying the attention i should to ingredients that i react badly to. my two big no-no's are shea butter and bismuth. the comparison of the TM's is really interesting! (oh, and found out my shade was porcelain -- oops.) will definitely go try this though it won't be as fun as hitting every department store in London between Liberty and Selfridges because they'd run out of my colour. i went into every store cosmetic department asking if they had Laura Mercier only to be told she wasn't there yet Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Could the castor oil be the culprit?

Space NK definitely stocks Laura Mercier in the UK and the SA will usually happily apply stuff for you. Good luck! Very Happy
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I am a cool-toned PPP, I highly recommend Kanebo's cream foundation. You can find locations atwww.kanebo.com, hths. (I have tried MANY foundations, high and low end, this is my fav.).
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:17 am      Reply with quote
Gina wrote:
I am a cool-toned PPP, I highly recommend Kanebo's cream foundation. You can find locations atwww.kanebo.com, hths. (I have tried MANY foundations, high and low end, this is my fav.).

which colour do you wear? also, have you tried the liquid version? has it caused any break-outs?
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem with foundations! I have gone on a quest this spring trying to find something that isn't too heavy and won't break me out and yet, doesn't have a lot of yellow in it. It's been hard.

I tend to use Bobbi Brown's tinted moisturizer in her lightest color. It does tend to be a tiny bit too yellow but it blends pretty good. It's OK with coverage (when I don't need to cover any red spots or acne) but I wanted to find something else with more coverage and/or sun protection. I bought Shiesedo's sun protection foundation (in the blue bottle) in the lightest color and I REALLY like it. It's a little drying but it's good for days when I will be out in the sun and I want good coverage that will stay put. I was afraid that the lightest color would also be too yellow but it's not at all. It blends into my skin pretty nicely.

As far as an everyday foundation for days when I want a little more coverage....I have no clue! I have bought or tried samples of many different types of foundations from several different lines this spring and I finally just gave up. They were all too yellow or not good for my acne-prone skin.

Sounds like the Kanebo's foundation might be worth tracking down. Does anyone know if it's really heavy or causes breakouts? Also, can you get it in the States?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
This is an interesting thread. For many years when I was younger, foundations tended to be pinker, especially the less-expensive ones. But in recent years, the opposite seems to be the case -- now they're often too yellow. I'm somewhere in-between and it's one of the reasons I don't wear foundation. The other reason is that I have freckles, which always prevents foundation from looking "natural". I'd be interested to hear from any in-between pale people who have freckles and can pull-off wearing foundation.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I understand you so well, it is very hard to find a foundation or powder that match your skin. I tried many products, and haven't found the "one" that is perfect, but I tried Lavera's sample foundation (the lightest one) and it is not bad. Also, they based all products on natural ingredients. The foundation is lighter than Dr. H.'s lightest foundation. It has a little pinkish colour and very light texture. Here is the link:

http://www.saffronrouge.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2497/.f?sc=27&category=976

HTH
Lara

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Lara,

Thanks for the tip! I will have to track down the Lavera foundation because I would love to find a natural one. Everything I have seen so far has been too dark (I was sad that Dr. H was too dark).

It's nice to talk to others about my problem finding foundations! I had thought I was one of the few out there and I have been getting so frustrated at not finding much. I, too, remember how hard it was to find good foundations a few years back because of the pinky tones. I thought foundations recently had shifted to more yellow tones so it's interesting to hear others with the same dilemma as me. Thanks for all your recommendations!
jumpingball
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I second Lara1 on this Lavera foundation. It perfectly matches my skin tone and looks very natural. I tried the sample, and I'm going to buy it. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |