Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Oil as a body lotion?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
surfer
5% products discount

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone use a natural oil instead of a body lotion with success?

I've tried olive oil with a few drops of lavender EO to mask the smell... it just seems to take a very long time to sink in. Later in the day I'm still oily.

Should I try mixing it with aloe (not sure which type to try though, the juice or the gel)? Or should I try another type of oil instead?
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
I do this with jojoba oil and it works great. I add a couple of drops of lavender or another nice smelling essential oil and then let it soak in right after I shower or bathe. It works great (esp in the wintertime) and keeps me moisturized all day. Smile
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:22 am      Reply with quote
i use coconut oil as a body lotion. i'e only once used so much that it felt oily and it never smells.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:59 am      Reply with quote
Pevonia makes a "dry" body oil that you might like. I had a travel sized bottle once and loved it. Thinking about getting it for the summer.

5% products discount

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
pustekuchen wrote:
i use coconut oil as a body lotion. i'e only once used so much that it felt oily and it never smells.

Thanks for all the replies. How do you keep the coconut oil in a liquid form to spread it? I use it for cooking but most of the year it's semi-solid so I can't imagine spreading it on my skin. Any tips?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
A lot of the time I'm too lazy to use body lotion, so I often just use an oil in the shower instead--- I found it works just as well if not better. I especially do this in the summer when I'm going to be showing a lot of skin, LOL!! My two favorites right now are the Body Shop's Passion Fruit Dry Oil Spray (smells soooo intoxicating--- my husband goes nuts when I use it^-^), and Burt's Bees Apricot Oil. (The glass bottle the Burt's Bees comes in is kind of inconvenient tho, so I just decant it into a plastic spray bottle and then spray myself all over right before I get out of the shower^-^)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I quite like the Neal's Yard body Oils and am looking forward to trying the Burt's Bees Apricot Oil which should arrive in the post in the next week or so.
I do find that Oils can stain clothing and normally only use them in the evening after having a nice long soak in the bath.
The Body Shop Dry Oil Spray does sound good too Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud, you are right about oils staining clothes. That's why I started using them in the shower, since they can still trap water in your skin, but then the excess gets rinsed and toweled away. (And nothing makes freshly-shaved legs gleam like a few spritzes of oil, IMO... Wink )

5% products discount

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I love using the Burt's Bees Apricot Oil too...it smells delicious. Very Happy Although, I've learned to wear long pants around the house, or else I leave oily marks wherever I sit. Shock I also really love using the Weleda Calendula Baby Oil, for when I want a more relaxing scent.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I bought some monoi oil cause I thought it'd be a good alternative to heavy lotions for summer. I usually just spray it in my hands, then rub it into my elbows, shoulders, knees, etc. It sinks in well and smells lovely. I also have poured it in my bath.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I use Seabuckthorn oil on my body. It gets absorbed very fast, not oily at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
surfer wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. How do you keep the coconut oil in a liquid form to spread it? I use it for cooking but most of the year it's semi-solid so I can't imagine spreading it on my skin. Any tips?

You need to get a fractionated coconut oil which is in a liquid state as opposed to unfractionated coconut oil which is in a waxy solid state at room temp. I kind of like the unfractionated kind because I find the scent is nicer and it does melt as soon as it comes into contact with skin. For massage or blending, however I use the fractionated kind as it glides well and is absorbed quickly and doesn't stain the table linens or towels and thus, no clothes staining as well. My favourite oil to use on the body though is Rosehip Oil. It can get pricey if you use it all the time so blending it with some Almond, Jojoba, Hazelnut, Macadamia or Grapeseed is best. This way you'll have all the same benefits of using it alone plus other added beneifts from the other base oils as well. I also add a few drops of EOs depending on the mood I'm in as well or for specific therapeutic effects.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
Sometimes I use Seabuckthorn oil on my body. It gets absorbed very fast, not oily at all.

I use Weleda's Sea Buckthorn or Baby oil as a "lotion." I'm also very fond of SeaChi's Custom body oil.

Only place I use a true lotion or creme is on my hands Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:18 am      Reply with quote
Oil is good for dry skin, but not suitable for congested skin. with congested skin better get lotion or moisturizer (O/W).
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
surfer wrote:
pustekuchen wrote:

i take half a jar and put it in a small mason jar in my room, the store container goes into teh cooking cupboard.

mine is solid at room temperature, but i scrap up a bit with my nail, rub it between my hands and it liquifies almost immediately... of course, i do have warmer hands than most. but really, even if you do have cold hands, just take a wee bit and start rubbing it on your body.. abdomon, legs, whereever is warm and use that to melt it.

also, i've been using avocado oil the past week and a half and i am IN.LOVE. ferreals. my skin has a sheen to it that i thought only happened under photoshopped circumstances Wink
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
SeaChi Organics makes a SUPERB body oil called their Custom Blend.

It smells citrusy and heavenly and is so easily absorbing that I put it on totally dry hands as a "creme." Most others would just sit there sticky or tacky and not soak in unless my hands were wet.

It's also fantastic fresh from a shower and really helps my lizard-y shins in the winter.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:04 am      Reply with quote
I don't know how natural it is (probably not very), but I just picked up Nuxe's Huile Prodigieuse last night, and I find it is amazing! Sinks in really quickly and smells devine!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Surfer -
I have just brought the Virgin Cocount oil and soaks into the body so well really moisturing, i will show u the link i ordered it from not sure if your from the UK or not, Take a long anyway http://www.virgincoconutoil.co.uk/index.htm

Hope this is of some help
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |