Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Itchy dog paws. I'd like to mix something up to apply.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
My dog has allergies and we take him to a holistic vet. I like to do as much organic as possible, and have many organic EO's and organic oils. He licks his paw pads because they must itch. He gets herbs daily, etc, but I'm wondering if I can mix something up that might help, if I apply it directly, for more "instant" relief. I have aloe vera juice and gel and many other ingredients. I just wondered if there might be DIY recipe that I could transfer from "people itchy" to "poochy itchy." I'll check back periodically. Thank you. I apologize if this is not okay to post on this people forum.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Cedar,

You don't mention what kind of dog you have ... but I suspect what I'm about to say would apply to most dogs.

I raise Jack Russell Terriers ... have 13 of 'em at present [plus the big dog] ... and terriers are notorious for having skin problems of all sorts.

I do have a dog who have seasonal allergies ... and I give them the same antihistamine as I use myself. So Halfpint and I take our daily dose together ... although she actually gets hers every other day. By the way ... I give her [and myself] the Claritin "quick dissolve" tablets ... because they are so much easier to administer to her.

For the dogs who have less intrusive allergies I recommend Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine ... and works very quickly ... but you have to be prepared to administer it about every 4 to 6 hours.

When the paws are itchy, it suggests a contact allergy ... like the grass ... or your carpet cleaner ... or the detergent you use to wash the dog's bedding ... or the fabric softener. If you can isolate what it is that is causing the contact allergy ... then the problem should clear up quickly.

If you have sprayed your lawn lately ... or recently cleaned the carpets etc ... then avoidance is a good idea.

However, the vitamin C might work. If it doesn't, why not try a cortisone cream from the drug store? That controls itch well ... and while not "holistic" should work.

If you can find a zinc cream that is anti-itch all the better ... because if the dog licks off the cream, the zinc is good for it.

I also use a food supplement that has really helped our dogs stay healthy ... and helped to ward off skin problems. It's called Source Plus for Dogs ... and they have a web site that explains how/why it works.

http://www.4source.com

I have no affiliation with this company ... except that I import it into Canada [since it's not available in any stores here] and sell it to my puppy people.

Good luck

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Mary. He's a chocolate lab. He developed allergies at age 4, 2 years ago. He's been tested for all of the specific allergens in the house, but no luck. So, his are airborne and he does spend quite a bit of time running happily outside. He gets several supplements daily, enveloped in liverwurst, so he knows the word "medicine," but thinks it means "treat." :)He's on benadryl, as far as over the counter stuff. I will try adding Vitamin C, thank you for that suggestion. The vet also told me to apply a bleach/water solution which sets the ph right. One part bleach to 9 parts water. I might just try mixing a bit of organic avocado oil, jojoba oil, lavender, and peppermint, and aloe vera gel. Or spray a mist of lavender water. Your vitamin suggestion also has me looking down other avenues, so....thanks! He's has a whole food diet, so we are very good there. Thank you so much for your input.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cedar. You'll need to be careful with your use of EOs as pets do not handle them like humans do. Also dogs and cats lick their body parts and can thus ingest the oils which can be extremely toxic and dangerous for your pooch. What I've used on my sister's pug when he gets a rash or irritation is a couple of spritzes of tea tree or roman chamomile hydrosol. I've also dabbed some on with a cotton pad as sometimes he gets scared of the spritzing. LOL It's worked wonders for him. At first my sister mocked the fact that I became a Certified Aromatherapist but she now asks me time and time again if I have any of "that stuff" whenever she visits to help her and the dog out. The hydrosols/floral waters have the same benefits of the oils themselves but are much safer for your pets. I don't know where you live butwww.acqua-vita.com has a wide range of organic or wildcrafted hydrosols as does the Primavera line fromwww.saffronrouge.com My other suggestion is little booties. That's another thing my sister uses on her pug when they go for walks as he has very sensitive paws as well. Makes him look adorable and he is very happy for it.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wildflower, and thank you for the ideas. I do my shopping at an organic apothecary shop where everything can be ingested, if we had the notion. I will heed your good advice, and exercise caution, as that is my nature. "Do no harm!" Thanks so much.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:22 am      Reply with quote
Cedar, just throwing this out there as a "rule out." One of my pups licks areas incessantly when they are sore... he has arthritis and licked one paw so much that he developed an infection, leading to a fever! Have you considered that his paw pads are sore for some reason, as opposed to itchy? If they could only talk to us! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:19 am      Reply with quote
How are your dogs ears? The reason I ask is because I have always had Scottish Terriers in my life. Scotties are known for skin and ear problems. All my Scotties have been paw lickers. Last year I found out my dogs did not have allergies but Yeast problems.

I changed their diet to be meat based. Yeast thrives on sugar. As we all know grains and corn turn into sugar once digested by a dog.

I have religiously given my dogs Nzymes Antioxidant Treat, Ox-E-Drops and Bac Pak Plus for over a year. No more paw licking, ear infections or itchy skin. I am feeding them Eagle Holistic Dog food. The most amazing thing to me is my Maggie takes no anti inflammatory drugs for her elbow arthritis.

The below site has a wealth of information. Read the articles from the Great Dane Lady (ask Linda). I think you might find good tips to help your situation. I.e.: a mixture of baking soda and water sprayed on your dogs feet several times a day. A topical solution of Ox-E-Drops works wonders sprayed on the feet.

https://nzymes.com/index.htm
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Thank so much for great info. His ears are fine, and we ruled out all dietary allergies a year ago. If only it had been so simple! I will check out that site, though, cuz I am always open to learn more.
sundae
5% products discount

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:58 am      Reply with quote
hi Cedar,
I don't know much about dogs, but here's a great site with lots of info on natural health about caring for pets..etc. you might wish to check it out. http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/

hth

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:33 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing all of this great information!

My dog also has allergies and although his vet suggested that he take Benadryl, it doesn't seem to do anything for him... Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
i am a little late, but thought this might help anyone searching later. While discussing human vitamins, Tosca mentioned using a skincare supplement for her dog, made for dogs, that helped a lot. i got some because my poor pooch has itchy paws like crazy too. will keep everyone posted.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12731&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
All of these suggestions are great. I would also add Salmon oil to his diet. It is a natural anti-inflamatory and helps tremendously with inhalent allergies.

liz
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I recently learned that many dogs with itchy paws have a food allergy to corn and corn products, which is in many dog food and treat products.Image

While I was feeding my dog a high end premium dog food, I decided to make a switch and am in the midst of switching over to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

I have to mix it in with the other brand to make a gradual switch as he is one of those who cannot take an immediate switch from one food to another.

I am not sure if this will have the impact that I hope it will, however it is certainly worth a try for his benefit. The ingredients look a whole lot better than even the last food that I was feeding him that I thought was a good choice... They do not sell it around here so I had to order it from Pet Food Direct.
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=130&brand_id=630

Take care.
Bosoxy.Image

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
Just want to thank everyone again for your suggestions. Thought I'd update you.
My dog developed this ongoing allergy problem 2 years ago, at the age of 4, maybe it was coincidence, but it was right after I bought Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers food. He has always had a very wholesome diet of whole foods, well-rounded, and healthy dog foods. Dog food is a supplement to the fruits, veggies, oats, organic meat, etc that he gets. We completely eliminated the possibility of ANY food allergies right up front. The holistic vet put him on a strict diet for 30 days of nothing but oatmeal. The condition remained. We determined he is allergic to normal airborne allergens found outside. I even took in a sample of the fine dust from the vacuum cleaner bag, and they made a serum and injected it under his skin and waited for reaction. None. So, it's just different stuff from nature. What has really helped him the most: genuine Chinese pills, from my Chinese doctor, for allergies from inhaled substances. Nice thing about Chinese meds: they work and are so inexpensive. I had tried some copies from a couple places online. Much more expensive, and less effective. Chinese medicine is a wonderful gift.
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Another great food is Merrick. http://www.merrickpetcare.com/ My Sister's boxer developed a serious allergy to any and all grains except rice and barley. He lost about 15 lbs because he couldn't keep anything down, and he began refusing food. He's done really well on Merrick and has made a full recovery. I usually feed raw food, but use the ocassional can of Merrick too, and they love it. Also, Timberwolf makes a good allergan-free kibble. I've never tried it, but sis uses it too.

I recommend the skin vitamins too! They've been a lifesaver for me.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...Nature's Gift sells a product that is supposed to help dogs with itchy paws and hot spots. It's called Tea Tree Hydrosol. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:
http://www.naturesgift.com/hydrosol_order.htm
It should be at the bottom of the page.

Also, for anyone else looking for a high quality dog food for dogs with allergies, I would also suggest Natural Balance Duck & Potato formula, in addition to the others mentioned here. It's usually available at Petco. Actually, I think all the NB dog food is very good quality...all of my dogs love it and are doing well on it...including my spaniel, who, when I first got him, had the most runny eyes I'd ever seen! After he was fully switched over to the Natural Balance his eyes cleared and he hasn't had any problems with them since Smile
Tosca
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, yes! All the Natural Balance is good stuff! (Two others I can thing of are Ultra and California Gold.)
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
The 3V skin caps came, and wow, they are huge! i got the small/medium dog caps, and my dog is 20 pounds, but he's really petite, like fine little paws, skinny legs, and small mouth/head. i wasn't sure if i would be able to give him the capsule. i placed it in the back of his throat and closed his mouth with my hand while massaging his throat with the other. he spit out the softgel 2 times, the third time was a charm and it worked.

anyone have any advice on administering a pill to a dog?

i was considering breaking the softgel up and putting it in his food, but he is really picky and would sniff it out in an instant. besides, he eats small morsels each time and doesn't finish his food every day.

it's too soon to tell if the pills are working, and i am also rubbing some malaseb flush into his skin to clear up the redness.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
The best way to administer pills to a dog that I've found, and it's a cinch: buy liverwurst (aka braunschweiger) and just roll the pill in it to cover it. Voila! Like a charm. Peanut butter is also good, but the liverwurst wins top honors. They consider it a huge treat. Smile You can find it in the cold food section, by cold cuts and stuff. Kind of in a fat roll looking shape. Mine has orange or red paper around it, under clear plastic. Good luck!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
thanks cedar, gonna try the liverwrust!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
That will work great. If you can't get liverwurst, any other kind of meat or cheese works great for me too.
4luvofk9s
5% products discount

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not on this forum often but happened to see these posts. I lost my border collie last year (he was 12yrs old). He suffered from severe allergies for the first 5 yrs of his life (inhalant allergies). I tried many many things. I switched him to a raw diet when he was around 4yrs old, it takes a while but his allergies almost became non-existent. I lived in Atlanta and then Florida, and had (and still have with my current dogs) great success with this diet. It sounds weird, but it truly is a godsend, not just with allergies, but with no vet visits and teeth cleaning. Just type into Google 'dog raw diets' or 'canine raw diets'. There are also many dog diet forums you can join and some specific to where you live. Go to Yahoo Groups and do a search there. Good luck!
Pat
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
cedar--the liverwrust totally worked! i finally got a hold of some, it was farmer john's brand, and rolled his vitamin (the softgel really is huge!) around in it, and presented it to him. i put it in his mouth, he spit it out twice, and i thought it was a lost cause so i was holding the softgel, just letting him lick off the liverwrust, and he ended up eating the whole pill! i was so happy Very Happy. thanks for the tip, you're a lifesaver!

Tosca--the skin vitamins seem to be really working, his skin is so much better now, and he hardly bites his skin anymore, thank you!

4luvofk9s--i am researching the raw diets, they sound very promising!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Skincareaddicted, I'm so glad we could help you!!
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare, I actually make a little blanket around my dog's pills. He thinks they're treats, and he doesnt even look at them, just gobbles them down. Fab! Glad it helped.
Also, his evening pills, I mix in his dinner. Mostly dry food with maybe 1/3 to 1/2 can of food mixed in. He never even notices the dinnertime pills. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |