Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Breaking out in the UK - help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi all. I'm getting a tad bit desperate here and I hope someone will be able to help me. I am in Edinburgh for the next month for work (I've been here a week so far). My forehead has been breaking out with these odd little bumps, which started right before I left home. They're not exactly like pimples, they don't come to a head and they are just tiny little bumps. They're hard to see, but I can feel them and it's driving me nuts. I thought that perhaps my skin was disagreeing with the Olay Complete moisturizer w/sunscreen that I bought recently, so I stopped using it on my forehead this whole week, but there has been no difference.
I also use IS Clinical Active and Super serums. I was using them for a couple of weeks before coming here and my skin was fine, so I don't think the serums are causing this. I use the Clarisonic face brush morning and night with an Olay cream cleanser. And well, that's about it really. I don't have access to everything that I would back home, and don't know where to get most things around here, which is where my desperation and anxiety are coming in to play. I went to Boots today and picked up some uncoated aspirin for the aspirin mask and also a Boots Botanics product called "Pore Perfecting Light Night Cream." Anyone ever heard of it or used it? It contains rosemary and willowbark extracts. You can check it out here: http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1035572 I thought it would be better to go with something more gentle rather than hitting it with the usual benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid (the latter of which never did much for me anyway).
I always said that if I started breaking out again I'd try the Juice Beauty Blemish Serum, but the closest retailer is apparently in Glasgow. If things don't improve this week, I will find a way to get to Glasgow next weekend!
So does anyone have any tips at all? I thought that OCM might be a good thing, but I haven't got a clue where to get the things I would need in Edinburgh. Should I maybe stop using the IS Clinical stuff on my forehead for a bit and see if that makes a difference? Whatever I do, it's going to be one thing at a time, so I can pinpoint what makes it better, and also to keep from overloading my skin.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:59 am      Reply with quote
First of all, that Olay Cream Cleanser might be contributing to your problem. I'm a big believer in Cream Cleansers made with "pure" ingredients, like for example Dr. H Cleansing Milk, but I've found that a lot of the drugstore cream cleansers like Olay have a lot of fillers and cheap stuff that will clog your pores like you wouldn't believe! Your idea for an aspirin mask is a good one, and the Juice Beauty Blemish serum too. Let us know how that Boots cream works--- I hope your skin feels better soon!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I was thinking about the cream cleanser too. I've been using it with my Clarisonic for over a month now with no problems, but who's to say it's not the culprit. Any ideas of a gentle face wash to use with the face brush.. ?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I've got plenty of ideas, but unfortunately, none of them would probably readily available where you are, so I guess I'm not much help. Embarassed But, just in case, here's a list of gentle cleansers I've enjoyed that did not clog my pores: Beauty Without Cruelty Herbal Cream Cleanser, Dr. H Cleansing Milk, Alba Botanica Sea Lettuce Cleansing Milk, Dermadoctor Wrinkle Revenge Cream Cleanser, and Chidoriya Brown Sugar and Adzuki Face Soap.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I just had the SAME problem happen to me, but with the bumps I also had whiteheads. I was using La Roche Posay sunscreen for about two weeks until it made me break out. My cure? I stopped EVERYTHING except my normal moisturizer. I washed my face with water only, and put nothing else on my face. After about a week it FINALLY cleared up. Now I'm in a bind b/c I know I have to find a sunscreen to use, but I'm terrified to use another one as that is what made me break out. But that's another story.
Hope that helps!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi pele, that's a good idea. I was pondering stopping everything also. I am also thinking that I should find another sunscreen. Something tells me that Olay Daily Defense combo had something to do with the sudden breakout. So now I am challenged to find something that is gentle that I can use; I would settle for just a gentle moisturizer at this point and forego the s/s for a bit. The only problem is that I am quite limited to drugstore brands at this point. Something I used before and liked quite a bit was Dove Essential Nutrients for sensitive skin. I may look into picking that up again for the time being.
Right now I'm going to keep using the Boots Botanics. This morning I swore that the bumps seemed to have softened up a bit (of course every day I swear it's getting better, just to realize that it's only wishful thinking).
Manslazyerliz, thanks for the cleanser recs! You're right, none of those are likely readily available here, but it's a good list to choose from when I get back! For now I guess I'll just see if I can find something gentle in the drugstore and keep my fingers crossed! I am still threatening to head over to Glasgow next weekend if things do not improve! Laughing
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Yes I know the Boots Botanics range well, my MIL loves their moisturisers.

I would try one of the cleansers, the whole Botanics range is good.
The Botanics Antibacterial Face Wash would be one to consider:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1048567

I use a lot of the Botanics bodycare (I always recieve Botanics gift sets for Christmas Wink )
and I swear by the Shaving Gel for my legs, my SO who has sensitive skin loves this for his morning facial shave too.
I also like the Body Lotion in the pump bottles.
My HG exfoliating gloves are Botanics ones and my MIL who is looking over my shoulder as I type recomends the Face Wipes.

The Vitamin Recovery Mask is similar to the Dermalogica Multi Vitamin power recovery mask.
Before I discovered the Dr Hauschka regime I love the Face Creams and Facial Scrub.
Hope this helps and have a lovely time in Scotland.
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
As well Avene suscreens are stocked at most Boots Stores Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi
Love the post, because I am having the same problem. I have always had small breakouts that are pimples (actual ones)..but about 4 days I woke up with small bumps ALL over my face. Some appear to be white heads, others look like blackheads, but when you squeeze, nothing comes out..except maybe some clear liquid. If I run my hands over my face (especially when I get out of the shower)..you can feel them, I turn to the side on my cheeks and forhead it seems like there are hundreds. I have NOT changed ANYTHING in my routine. Why? Since they do not appear to be actual pimples that I could squeeze, any suggestions on how to clear my pores...or at least start the process. I know it will not happen over night. I was thinking about steaming my face and then seeing if I could squeeze any of my pores clear (sorry, I know gross). HELP I am desperate. I have been leaving them alone, since I can cover them slightly. My SO is going away for two weeks, so I would like to "work" on my skin while he is away...so he can come back and say "WOW"
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Berquis! How distressing! In my case, I've noticed that my skin can become sensitive to products that were OK before. What's your current skincare routine right now? Don't worry, I'm sure we can have you in ship shape by the time your SO comes back!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi manslayerliz
My current routine, which I have not changed is Neu. Skin Refining cleaner, toner, mosturizer and some spot treatment of BP. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember. I do notice, if I do not use salicylic and/or BP my face is a broke out mess. I would rather have some clogged pores that I can mask (actully I would rather have perfect skin)...but better than big ugly pimples that never go away. Any suggestions on clearing out my pores (product wise). I was thinking about steaming my face and then using a soft lofa to cleanse the pores. But I think harse scrubs are not good for acne prone skin either...ugggH Crying or Very sad
jellytot
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:39 am      Reply with quote
hello if u are moving to a new place u might wanna consider washing yr face with bottled water instead of tap water..change in the hardness or softness of the water from country to country can wreck havoc on yr skin..if u wanna save on water u can wash your face with tap water then do a final rinse with bottled water..try to get distilled bottled water if u can..otherwise regular mineral water works too.. good luck
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Nymue wrote:
This morning I swore that the bumps seemed to have softened up a bit (of course every day I swear it's getting better, just to realize that it's only wishful thinking).

No no! I know it seems weird, but I made a decision to myself (and asked the universe for help) that my skin would get better daily. And it did! Positive energy (thinking) works....

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:29 am      Reply with quote
Actually pele, I think you have a point about the positive thinking. Sometimes it's awfully difficult to make your mind cooperate though! Laughing
Rosebud, thanks for the Botanics recs. and testimonial, I may look into picking up one of their cleansers. I worry that the antibacterial one would be a little harsh or drying, but I see they have a cream cleanser which seems pretty good. I find the cream cleansers work better with the Clarisonic in any case. Actually, I'm afraid I might go on a bit of a spree after reading your post!!
I've read up on the Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum, both on EDS and MUA. It doesn't seem to have gotten the rave reviews that I had thought. It seems like it tends to stop working for a lot of people after awhile. I'd hate to head all the way over to Glasgow for something that might not do much for my skin. Although I do plan on picking up the green apple peel at some point in the future. I've put in a call home to have my Accutane reserve shipped over to me, I had about a month's supply left. This should be enough to clear me up for the time being. Until it arrives I'll continue to be diligent with the Botanics night lotion and aspirin mask and see if things improve.
I would not be so freaked out if the bumps were isolated to just my forehead, but I notice a couple cropping up on my lower cheek in the past few days as well.
I've been through some really rough years with breaking out, and Accutane has been my only saving grace. I've got a new boyfriend waiting for me back home, so I don't have much patience for things that may or may not work. If things aren't improving by the time the Accutane gets here, I'm pulling out those big guns!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:42 am      Reply with quote
LOL, I know just how you feel, Nymue! In my opinion, nothing is worse than breaking out when you have a new bf to see. Let us know how the aspirin mask and the acne cream you are using work! Are you still using the Olay wash, or are you trying something else?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
It's good to know I'm in with like company!
I actually just picked up a new face wash on my lunch break today. There is a small scale Boots around the corner from my office, so they did not have the entire Botanics line. But I picked up something called "Moisturizing Deep Clean Foam". It looks like a thick liquid in the tube and as it's not in a pump bottle, hopefully it will not be too foamy. It contains rice extract, honey and B5 and claims to be gentle and soap free. This is the last product I'm buying! I have been to Boots like 5 times since I have been here! LOL..
I'll update after I've used it a few times and let ya know what I think of it.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Any salons nearby? How about a well deserved facial. If nothing else you'll feel better Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |