Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
UVA and UVB rays
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using sunblock for a very long time, since i was 19 and just recently i have been paying more attention to the science of it. the difference between uva and uvb has always confused me a bit and i found this explantion through a google site, skin911, which explains the difference. i found it so helpful! i tried to copy and paste the content but it say's copyright protected. so here is the link. i don't know anything about skin911 but this article is awesome. it dispelled the myth about uv rays being unable to get to you through the windshield! i always worry about this and have noticed 2 freckles popping up on left side when i am sun exposed.

the link is here http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:BUx1-p-3uYgJ:911skin.com/uvbubarays.html+uva+uvb&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi skincareaddicted - I wish I could remember when and where I recently read about UVA penetrating windows, etc. But I think I was surprised to learn that only 30% got through. Or maybe it was 70%! It's one or the other! Anyway, since sun damage is cumulative I guess even if it's 30%, it'll add up over time and take a toll. Like your articles suggests, the furniture in our bay windows (which face North) is getting more and more bleached out - evidence of the power of the Sun.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
this is why i got all my windows in my car tinted, along with my windshield:)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:09 am      Reply with quote
m.april--yes definitely surprised me. i keep reading more and more on this stuff and how even lights in your house emits some sort of uv, so the first thing i do in the morning is wash my face, apply my serums and moisturizers and sunscreen. i used to wear sunscreen only when i go outside, but now i am all wary of the lights in the house and sun coming in through my window!

purpleturtle--my car came with a lighter tint, and i want the dark one but my dad says no--too dangerous to drive in the rain. is it hard for you to see then?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:24 am      Reply with quote
I have about 33% tint on my windshield and side windows (a little lighter than limosine style tint) and no it isn't hard to drive. It's MUCH easier to see out of the car than it is to see in the car. I was worried I wouldn't be able to drive in the dark either, but there isn't even really a difference than it was without the tinting.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:26 am      Reply with quote
also..just so you know..the darker the tint has no effect on UV protection you get. It's all supposed to be 100% protection (mine is for sure since its a high quality brand.) I'd imagine it's the same for all other brand tinting.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting the link!

I have my car windows tinted as well but it's illegal to have the front windscreen tinted here unfortunately. I'm about to build a house and I'm putting in tinted windows everywhere as well. I see our furniture (and carpet, curtains, etc) is quite faded where the sun usually flows into the room.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Interesting link. However by reminding me about those UVC rays it is making my bordering on pathological sun phobia even worse!

I know the theory is always apply sunscreens but I just don't trust sunscreens. They claim to filter (and probably do) the UVA and UVB rays but I can't help wonder if there is some other components of sunlight, not yet identified, that do the real damage (skin cancer and appearance-wise)? Not to mention the UVC, which supposedly are blocked by the ozone layer, but with the ozone layer diminishing, and talk of "holes in the ozone layer", it makes me wonder.

The UVC rays are supposedly the strongest and most dangerous by far so why don't "broad spectrum" sunscreens contain a UVC block as well?

Yes, I know I sound obsessed, but way too many people I know have had skin cancer.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Thank you for posting the link!

I have my car windows tinted as well but it's illegal to have the front windscreen tinted here unfortunately. I'm about to build a house and I'm putting in tinted windows everywhere as well. I see our furniture (and carpet, curtains, etc) is quite faded where the sun usually flows into the room.

It's illegal where I live as well...but i am willing to break the law to get some sun protection. I'm not really worried because a lot of the new luxery cars around here have really dark tinting and they don't get pulled over. I've had mine tinted for about 3-4 months now and cops are either oblivious or simply do not care.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy-- Very Happy that's great how you're a building a house...i would love to do that one day. i thought about a house with no windows, but that just seems a bit creepy Wink tinted house windows are a great idea, i don't think i have ever seen them before.

appletini--maybe in the future, hopefully very soon, they will invent sunscreen that has UVC protection too. i am not quite sure how these rays are different from UVA/B but i will read more on it, since you are definitely correct about the ozone depleting. i do hope, even if you don't trust sunscreens, you're wearing it still. it's great to be obsessed with sun protection...i have to admit i have been a little crazy myself.

purpleturtle--good to know that all tints provide the same protection! i have noticed that certain cops in certain areas are only after one thing...the easiest and most obvious way to get ticketed where i go to school is by speeding. i have a friend who never wears his seatbelt ( Mad ) and one cop even pulled up to him by a stoplight and didn't even say anything, it was like he was blind to it! hilarious how you disregard the law for uv protection...it's great. Razz

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted: there are 2 sunscreen lines that come to mind that (at least claim) to provide uvc protection that i know of, they are lavera & uv naturals. both are mineral sunscreens.

just as a side note: we all need a bit of sun (unprotected) to produce vitamin D, which our bodies need. the key is to be cautious about times of day & how long we allow ourselves to be exposed. i used to slather myself with sunscreen & be stressed out about making sure i was always slathered. i've since relaxed a bit, i've learnt about various oils that provide low levels of protection and/or repair from the sun & always have a hat to put on, and am comfortable with walking 10 min. home everyday without a real "sunscreen". whenever i garden, i do always make sure to apply proper sunscreen liberally. i've also come to love the little freckles that deepen slightly in colour when i've had some sun.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
lamicuz--where would i get these sunscreens, and do you know if they are heavy or light? oh yes, we need our vitamin D, and i have read that you get enough from 5 minutes of exposure (not direct) a day. and sunscreen, since it doesn't filter out 100% of the sun, we're getting some there too. also, D we can get in our diets also. i can't appreciate a tan or freckles on myself because i know it's just sun damage Confused

btw, anyone ever had their picture taken with those special cameras that can show all the uv damage on the face that can't be seen with the naked eye?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:36 am      Reply with quote
the only place i've come across uv naturals is from pure + simple (in toronto). i don't know if they have a website, but i believe they are an australian company. i've tried their baby formulation...has an oil base, too heavy for me.

lavera you can get from several places...a few health food stores around me (toronto, big carrot, whole foods, pure + simple) carry lavera and their usa website iswww.lavera-usa.com. i'm using their new anti-aging sunscreen for face (don't remember the exact name, but comes in their newer orange squeezy tube packaging). i quite like it...goes on lightly and doesn't leave a white cast.

the best way to get vitamin D (or any vitamin for that matter) is naturally, through food, etc. as the body is most readily able to accept those forms. suppliments are not always readily or completely accepted by the body (ie. did you know that calcium should be taken w. magnesium for aid absorption of the calcium?).

as for the freckles, it's all about state of mind. i'm lucky in that mine don't get that dark and i just have a scattering, but whenever i'm out for more than 10-20 min., i do apply my lavera sunscreen.
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
This thread got me thinking about sunscreens.

After doing about 30 minutes of googling...YIKES!

Some of the stuff I discovered, and please correct me if I got anything wrong as I'm no scientist -

1. The SPF rating on broad spectrum sunscreens only relates to the UVB blockage as there is no reliable way to measure UVA blockage. That means an SPF 60 may only provide minimal UVA blockage.

2. UVA consists of short and long UVA rays, with the long *possibly* doing the most damage. The majority of so-called broad spectrum sunscreens provide NO protection against long UVA, as there is no legal requirement for sunscreens labelled "broad spectrum" to do so.

And here is a quote from Professor of Dermatology at the University of Melbourne, an internationally respected researcher in the field:
"-- the issue is not UVA vs. UVB or even UVA combined with UVB. "The most common skin cancers seen in humans are related to sunlight, not to a limited band of the solar spectrum," Marks says. "It is the whole of all light coming from the sun. Don't concentrate on one band, but the entire spectrum. Keep it off the skin."

Scary stuff. And that's without even mentioning UVC or other light frequencies.

I'm so lucky I can do most of my work at night and rarely have to leave home before late afternoon.

This link has some useful info on sunscreens:

http://www.cosmeticsurgeryfyi.com/articles4.html

And if you're an obsessed crazy woman like me, here's another from the FDA (a bit out of date but interesting):

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/400_sun.html
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |