Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner (Review)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
dh

Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I generally like Dermalogica's products. Even when they include things I might prefer weren't in there, they seem to have an expert chemist's hand at blending things together to make them work effectively and feel good, with just the right consistency or 'slip'.

I tried a small bottle of this toner, which comes in spray form, along with some other Dermalogica goodies, like my favorite the Daily Microfoliant. And I'll consider repurchasing it.

A 237ml bottle goes for about $37 Canadian, which I believe is about $27 U.S. as of this writing.

Here's how Essential Day Spa describes it:
"An ultra-light facial spritz of skin-repairing Aloe Vera combined with soothing extracts of Lavender, Balm Mint and Arnica to refresh and hydrate the skin after cleansing and throughout the day. All skin conditions.
Directions:
Spray evenly over skin after cleansing."

You should keep your eyes closed when you do this, and not aim directly at them or it will sting a little. I usually just sprayed it on still-damp cheeks and then lightly patted it around with clean fingertips.

There are some interesting ingredients in this product and others from Dermalogica. For instance, beta glucan. I looked it up and saw research tidbits like: "Beta Glucan has been shown to enhance the envelopment and digestion (phagocytosis) of pathogenic microorganisms."

You can search through an ingredients list of all Dermalogica products in this PDF file at Essential Day Spa's site.

Anyway, the spray seemed to both soften and clean my skin. It has things in it that I like which may be responsible for that - such as sodium lactate, and the most notable ingredient (to me), sodium PCA.

Sodium PCA is a molecule that's reportedly very similar or actually the same to some of the skin's own natural moisturizing factors. I believe Twinlab has a spray product called Na-PCA that many people have liked, but the version I tried had an unfavorable strong scent - may have been eucalyptus.

Anyway, a bit about sodium PCA:
It is a "hygroscopic, attracting moisture from the air" and is used as a moisturizer in hair products and skin products. It's "a stronger hydrating agent than the traditional compounds used for this purpose, such as glycerine, propylene glycol, or sorbitol."

Those with the driest or most sensitive skins might be interested in another Dermalogica spray, called Dermalogica Soothing Protection Spray. I'm eager to try that, which has "green tea, Canadian willoherb, cucumber, licorice and raspberry to dramatically reduce redness and irritation."

Both of these products reside here at the Essential Day Spa site:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dermalogica_conditioners.htm
Mabsy

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:58 am      Reply with quote
Hey dh,

Thanks for posting this review! I can't believe how detailed it is, it must have taken you ages to write!

Just for the sake of comparison (because I've run out of my beloved Phytomer Face Dew toner Smile), have you used other toners before and if so then how does this one stack up? So basically, what has been your fave toner so far?

I hope to read more of your reviews Wink

Mabsy Very Happy
dh

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:52 am      Reply with quote
You know, I haven't really found many toners that I love. In years past I've used many of the majors' like Lancome, Clarins, Clinique, Estee Lauder, etc.

Also some others like Dr. Hauschka's and Komenuka Bijin and Aveeno's and also one of those Pore Minimizer toners from the drugstore - was it L'Oreal?

And during oily phases I've tried vodka and years and years ago after a day outside, I've braved plain old rubbing alcohol... and then moisturized.

I've liked some toners from Clarins before, but not enough to repurchase. I've used toners mainly as an extra cleaning step with a cotton ball. I suspect the Dr. Hauschka toners are actually somewhat nourishing - they always stuff great ingredients into their products. The Clarins toners were somewhat softening, and if I was religious about toner use, I'd probably go back there and try one again from Clarins... or maybe Yonka... Yonka (beauty supply stores often have this line) has one that smells wonderfully herbal and seemed to soften as well.

The Aveeno one, which has soy, seemed to cause breakouts of all things even though it softened. The Pore Minimizer toner seemed harsh and talc-y. Komenuka Bijin's was a little sticky, as I recall - I think it has sake in it, would have to go find one and read the label to double-check that.

So, anyway, vodka is not a bad toner if you're just looking for cleaning and can tolerate alcohol.

What I liked about the Dermalogica toner was that it did leave my skin softer and probably more clear.. they have a good ingredients lineup in there, and rather than wiping this off with a cotton ball I think it's more a case of letting it sink in.
wiffy
5% products discount

Sat May 22, 2004 2:24 am      Reply with quote
I like this toner... it leaves my oily skin hydrated and yet I feel that the oilness is zapped away at the same time. Does anyone know how this toner compare to their soothing toner?

5% products discount

Sat May 22, 2004 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
i still have half of dermalogica mulit-active toner rolling around in my bathroom... i found it quite harsh Confused for my dry skin and it also has an unpleasant smell, unlike other dermalogica products that i tried. I would rather use phytomer face dew or yonka toner.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |