Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone had a PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT) treatment?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT) treatment. The brochure says: "PhotoDynamic Therapy Using IPL & Laser: PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT), also known as ALA/PDT, is a treatment performed with a topical photosensitizing agent called Levulan (5-aminolevulinic acid or ALA) that is applied to your skin and then activated with the correct wavelength of light. These treatments remove sun damaged precancerous spots called Actinic Keratoses. Treatments also improve sun-damaged skin, fine lines, blotchy pigmentation and rough skin patches. PhotoDynamic Therapy treatment has the unique ability to minimize pores and reduce oil glands--effectively treating stubborn acne vulgaris, acne Rosacea, and improving the appearance of some acne scars."

I was considering trying it, but I want to learn more about it first.

[Darn-My Spell Check is not working!]

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
My Derm/med spa talked to my hubby about having it done because of his extreme rosacea and sundamage. It's like having 3 Photofacials at once. It penetrates deeper but the down time (at least 2 weeks) is so much more because of the intense peeling that follows. If you have a lot of sundamage it would be good.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
AnnieR wrote:
. . . but the down time (at least 2 weeks) is so much more because of the intense peeling that follows. . .

2 weeks! I didn't know it was that harsh. Does your whole face peel off? Is it like the old-fashioned procedures where they peel off the whole top layer of your skin? Is it painful? [All of a sudden nervousness is overcoming my desire to rid myself of occasional adult cystic acne spots and sun damage/hyperpigmentation.] Anxious

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I'm sure it is a deeper peel because it removes precancerous cells and it is an acid. I heard it did intensify the pain level from a regular IPL but they do give meds (at least at my derm/med spa) to take the edge off along with the topical. Can't really speak from experience because I don't know anyone who has had it done personally, but at least instead of having 3 individual IPL's, it gets several over at once. Hubby declined.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
O.K. I did it. I'm scheduled for a PTD treatment this Friday. My son's GF is going to do it with me, so we can be moral/emotional support for each other. We're going to hide out in the house for 4 days and have a Sex and the City marathon (I mean watch all the seasons/episodes of the show Sex and the City).
I'll let everyone know how it goes. (Yes, I think I HAVE lost my mind!)

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT ALREADY HAD A PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY TREATMENT?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
It sounds really interesting Seeking~HG and I can't wait to hear what results/experiences you have with it. I have battled with actinic keratoses above my lip for a few years now. I've had one of the spots frozen off and now there is a white scar Rolling Eyes , and the other has been treated twice but keeps coming back. I need to make an appointment for a consultation soon as well. More than anything I'd just like to see what a good derm can tell me about my skin problems and what treatments would be beneficial. I'm still leaning towards the Rhytec Portrait Plasma treatment though. Keep us updated on your progress and good luck!!!
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Keep us updated on your progress and good luck!!!

Thanks! We're going to take pictures of our progress every day. If I can figure out how to post pics, I can share them with everyone (unless they're too horrid).

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
I have battled with actinic keratoses above my lip for a few years now. I've had one of the spots frozen off and now there is a white scar Rolling Eyes , and the other has been treated twice but keeps coming back.

I just "Googled" actinic keratoses. My Dad has these all over his scalp (he's kinda' baldish) but he's too stubborn to go see a doctor to get them removed. We keep telling him they might turn into skin cancer, but he won't listen to us. Anyway, the brochure says the PDT is supposed to treat this condition, so keep it in mind as a treatment option.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
I had read at one time that the Plasma procedure was a good treatment for them as well. I hate these things because they are constantly turning over (flaking...gross!). I'd LOVE to see you photos so I hope you figure out how to post them. If not, I'll plan to pm you my email address so you can send them that way if you'd like. Thanks!!! Very Happy
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99--O.K., but warning: It will probably be "Creature Feature." Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Lol...I should mention that I'm in healthcare so I love that stuff! I'm also fascinated by those surgeries they show on tv. Laughing
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck and keep us posted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering . . . if a person has a PDT treatment done for actinic keratosis, would it be covered by medical insurance? After all, it would be removing pre-cancerous cells . Or would this type of treatment always be considered aesthetic?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Seeking~HG wrote:
Just wondering . . . if a person has a PDT treatment done for actinic keratosis, would it be covered by medical insurance? After all, it would be removing pre-cancerous cells . Or would this type of treatment always be considered aesthetic?

I've been wondering the same thing and plan to ask when I go in for my consultation. Mine is just a very small spot though, so at best I would probably end up with just a minor discount. I guess today is the big day for you! Good luck and keep us posted on your recovery/progress!!! Very Happy
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks. I'm very nervous this morning! I hope I don't have any complications (scarring, extreme pain, etc.). Pray Well, here goes . . .

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
You'll do fine. You might want to take some headphones and see if they'll let you wear them during the medication part and treatment. It might help distract you and keep you calm. A friend of mine does this when she has dental work done and I think it's a great idea. I can't wait to hear how it goes!
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Sad news. I went to my PDT appointment and the Medi-Spa doctor noticed there was something wrong with my face. She refused to do my PDT treatment and referred me to a neurologist. I found out that I have a mild case of "Bells Palsy". It's caused by either a virus or facial nerve damage and the result is a paralysis of (usually one side of) the face. Fortunately, my BP is mild and there is no pain, so I didn't even know I had it. I've seen people with full-blown cases--the whole side of their face hangs, their mouth droops, their eye waters, they drool uncontrollably--it's awful. Thank goodness mine is mild--it only shows up when I smile--then one side of my mouth goes up more than the other side. Very strange. They don't even know how you get it. The doctor put me on a course of prednisone and an anti-viral medicine. I was SO disappointed about having to postpone my PDT. I asked the Medi-Spa Dr. why I had to postpone, since it was only a topical treatment, but she said she "didn't want to complicate things." I read online that Bells Palsy can take weeks to months to clear up. Bummer! So for now, I'm on hold. I'll keep you posted on my pending treatment, though.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry to hear that! I'm glad that it is extremely mild though. Did your son's GF go through with it? I know you mentioned you were going to do it together. I agree with your doc that it's probably better to wait it out. I know it has to be hard though when you were so close to having your procedure. Keep us updated and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Did your son's GF go through with it? I know you mentioned you were going to do it together.

She decided to wait for me. My steroid (Prednisone) course is over tomorrow, so I'm going to try to schedule the PDT again for Monday. I don't see how a topical treatment could hurt. I'm going to beg the Medi-Spa Dr. to do it. I REALLY want to try out!
BTW--Thanks for the speedy recovery wishes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm still on hold for the PDT because of the (untimely) Bell's Palsy. I don't know how long the BP takes to cure. I have been advised that it would be foolish to do anything like that to my face right now. Bummer! Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Oh! Sorry you aren't better yet. I know you are really looking forward to having this done. Have they given you another time estimate as to when you might be fully recovered?
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I was really looking forward to doing it. I had time off work so I wanted to do it when no one would notice. Plus, you have to stay in the house for the first couple of days.
The Bell's Palsy recovery period is up in the air. It can take from weeks to months to even longer. I don't know how long it will be. It's getting better, though.
I guess it's my payback from the universe for trying to change my face without anyone noticing. Now EVERYONE can see that my face looks different. Unfortunately is a worse kind of different. ARGHH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Awww, but at least it can be cured! I do wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. Pray Very Happy
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Just a follow-up:
I never was able to have this procedure done. Has anyone else tried a PhotoDynanic Therapy treatment?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have had IPL both with and without Levulan, is Photodynamic Therapy another name for IPL with Levulan?

The difference for me with Levulan is that my whole face turned brown and peeled, as opposed to IPL without Levulan when only the damaged bits darkened up. I did not notice that the end result (as far as getting rid of sun damage and dark spots) was that much better with Levulan.

Recovery time I cannot speak to - my case with Levulan was not typical because (gross alert) I got a staph infection all over my face, under the peeling brown skin. It was absolutely revolting. I can say that after the infection was cleared up it took another couple weeks for my face to be back to normal.

Because of my own nasty experience I would not choose IPL with Levulan again, but I would do another regular IPL no problem, the results are great if you are concerned with sun damage and hyperpigmentation.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |