Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Can anyone recommend a department store brand Vit C
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad my last EDS parcel vanished in the post somewhere and I'm so fed up with having no Vit C, especially with the sun so high in the sky.

I've bought online for years so I don't know any of these department store brands, but we have quite a few here in China.

Can anyone recommend a Vit C serum from one of them? We've got Shiseido, Elizabeth Arden (I think), Clarins, vichy, Avene and others.

I really want something right now. I'll go mad waiting for a new delivery.

Any recs, thanks. - Molly Smile
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly - If you have access to Lancome, they have a Vit.C product called Sensation Totale. While I've not tried it, I've tried several other Lancome samples (got them when I've purchased makeup) and have been pleasantly surprised. If I hadn't discovered all of the salon brands I've heard about here on the forum, I'd probably be using several Lancome treatment products.

Likewise, I've been pleased with Avene products I use on a regular basis. Besides sunscreens, I use Ystheal for face and eyes which contain a mild retinoid (about the only level I can tolerate anymore). They're as gentle as claimed yet effective. If Avene offers a Vit.C product, it's probably good as well.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi m.april

Thanks, I'll have a look into the Lancome.

I tend to resort to Avene cleansers here when I run out, they're a very gentle range.

I was interested that you use the Ystheal. I tried it when it first came out and I couldn't see any difference, but I was a lot younger. I don't think I knew what to look for and my skin was quite nice so it was difficult to see improvements.

I've been considering a gentle retinol product for the summer. Do you really notice it gives your skin increased turnover? How does it compare to other retinol products? I'm currently using Green cream and I can really see the difference, but I can feel the skin barrier erosion in the sun too! Although it might be my imagination.

Thanks Molly
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I saw a definite brightening of my skin with philosophy products. I almost wish I didn't love the line so much, but I simply can not deny the nice effects I've seen, and others have remarked on.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I love Cellex-C. Very Happy
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Molly - I agree that Philosophy products are good. They offer a Vit.C powder that's to be mixed with moisurizer or sunscreen, but I haven't tried it. It's an interesting concept, especially since Vit.C stability is an issue. The brand may not be as commonly available as others you've listed, though. If you try it, let us know!

I've never tried Green cream so I have no idea how it compares to anything else. But I hear what you're saying about compromising the skin barrier -- I worry about that as well and it's another reason I've backed away from stronger retinoids. What I CAN compare is Ystheal and SkinCeuticals Retinol .5%. I used the SC for several months and could never tolerate it more than 3X/wk. Even at that, it made my skin quite dry and irritated. I hung in there thinking I'd eventually build up a tolerance but never could. Ystheal makes my skin peel eventually, but not nearly as much, and it doesn't cause redness or drying. My skin looks much better now -- plumper than it did while I was using SC Retinol .5%.

But having said all that, it should be noted that I could never tolerate the prescription retinoids Retin-A and Renova. Only Differin was tolerable, so I obviously don't have very tough skin when it comes to retinoids. And as I've aged, my tolerance has seemed to decrease (or else the SC is really strong stuff for an OTC product).

If you think Ystheal is too mild, you may want to try the Avene Diacneal range which I understand to be stronger. I think it also contains glycolic acid.

I also love Avene cleansers. In fact, I've really liked all of the Avene products I've used and I'd never even heard of the brand until last year!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks m.april

Actually I'm very responsive to Retin A and don't find it irritating, but the barrier thing frightens me in the summer.

So maybe it wouldn't have much of an effect - I think I'll post again and flag down any other users. You seem to be the only EDS user in the archives.

I went through a sensitive skin phase (down to medicine I was taking I think) a few years ago and used a lot of the Avene anti-redness/sensitive line. I found them extremely soothing - you might like that too.
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutley love philosophy vitamin c powder. I mix it with my serum and you can control the amount your skin can withstand.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
I really love the SKII vitamin C serum.
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Elizabeth Arden do have some VC capsules, though I've never tried it myself, I've heard a lot of raves about it.

I used Philosophy hope in a jar a few times, not long enough to make a judgement. All I can say is it did not irritate my skin, later I give the set to my mother and never heard about it ever since.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
I use Lancome Sensation Totale, I'm on my second bottle in fact. However, I don't see any effects from the Vit C at all, I use it because it's the only product that gives me OPTIMAL moisture for my oily skin, it even mattifies my skin quite nicely. It was so difficult for me to find something that wouldn't be TOO much moisture or TOO little because both can cause me to secrete more oil - this is the only product that works.

But regarding the Vit C I really couldn't tell what it did for my skin - and there are lots of silicones in this, I'm not planning to repurchase since I'm gonna be buying Skinceuticals serums after I finish this bottle.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the feed-back Sormuimui

I was just looking at the MUA reviews on the Sensation Totale seems it's very like Idealiste not what I'm looking for.

I think I might go for the La Roche Posay. It's only 5% L-Ascorbic, but it's also the only one who will say what percentage is in it. Better than nothing I suppose. I wonder how stable it can be in a cream though. Anyone tried it?

I remember now, that's the annoying thing about these big brands which is one of the reasons I never use them.

Molly
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:24 am      Reply with quote
Hiya Molly Smile

I have used Activ C (on/off) and Activ C for eyes (regularly) by LRP.

I like it. It's stable. I've been using the Activ C regularly and the residue in the cap/nozzle turns yellow, but the stuff in the tube remains white. So I'd say the LRP packaging is very elegant and functional that it keeps the C stable even at 5% Smile

Here are the ingredients from http://www.dermatologistrx.com/cart/SearchOne.asp?Criteria=19325

Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: L-ascorbic acid, 5%
Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Nylon-12, Ascorbic Acid, Phenyl Trimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Prunus Armeniaca/Apricot Kernel Oil, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Copolyol, Sodium Citrate, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum/Fragrance

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:33 am      Reply with quote
That's great JozieGroznie Very Happy Just what I needed to hear. The search is over. I so love Vit C.
Alix
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I think Lancome offers Vitamin C products (similar to La Roche Posay Active C 5% L-ascorbic acid).
boo72

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, I am a 34 yr old male and I have been using Peter Thomas Roth Power C20 Anti-oxidant Serum Gel which contains stable 20% L-Ascorbic acid and very happy with it. It is quite pricey though! Price ranges from £50 - £70 in the UK. Hope this helps.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |