Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Skin Lightening
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaid4

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
whats the best product that will get results for skin lightening?
skincareaid4

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
bump for help
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm in the middle of ordering Peter Thomas Roth Potent Skin Lightening Gel Complex with Hydroquinone (2 oz.) from EDS as we speak..

Don't know if it will work but it was advised by PTR when I emailed them to ask for advice on one of their products that could help.They also advised Potent Botanical Skin Brightener Gel or the Ultra- Gentle Lightening Gel complex. Was very pleased to get this advice as I ahd been intending to order Power K brightener.

No idea if it will work or not but have had brill results from other PTR products more generally.

In the past I have tried:
Salycilic and Glycolic based stuff (better skin texture but no visible difference)
vitamin E (healing in general but no big difference)
Rosehip oil (gave up as it kept staining my clothes)
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon juice
skincareaid4

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
Lemon juice

what do i do with it?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daisylondon

Quote:
I'm in the middle of ordering Peter Thomas Roth Potent Skin Lightening Gel Complex with Hydroquinone (2 oz.) from EDS as we speak..

I'm not sure that's a good idea.

You might know all about hydroquinone and have decided on it anyway, so sorry if that's the case, but in case you weren't aware...

Hydroquinone has been banned in Europe for several years. But even before that I remember seeing warnings on any products with hydroquinone in them in the UK. The warning was that it was not suitable for asian or darker skin. I remember seeing a documentary where it had been used on asian skin in over-the-counter products and they looked really mottled. Basically it can switch off melanin production permanently in some cases and create whiter patches on the face. Another thing is some people who use it to treat hyperpigmentation or melasma say when they stop using it has a kick back effect so that the original problem comes back darker than before.

It was also banned in europe because it's considered a possible cancer risk. (What isn't? you might ask)

Kojic acid doesn't have the same safety or user issues.

Just wanted you to be aware. Sorry if you know the risks already.

Molly Wink
SweetChastity

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
One reason why it is banned is because it is a mutagenic ingredient i.e. it potentially causes genetic damage to the cell which MAY later be a likely cause to cancer. (Yes, I believe it does kill cells too.)Naturopaths in the UK are bound to raise some din over this.

My dermatologist goes by what is clinically proven results and she will prescribe this. So from what I gather, it works for most people but for others, only to a limited extent, or to no effect.

Asian skins do not heal well from skin damage my knowledge and goes through hyperpigmentation (darkening). So I can imagine why it isn't recommended for darker skin tones.

In most countries, it's allowed as an ingredient at 2% in others, 4%. My 2cents worth.

There are other naturally occuring alternatives like arbutin, kojic acid, bearberry extract & licorice which would work.
I've seen something on a website called skinwhite with all the ingredients which I believe will work and am intending to place an order.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
sweetchastity: could you please post that website?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
"Basically it can switch off melanin production permanently in some cases and create whiter patches on the face.

I wonder if this is what happened to my skin while using that Obagi stuff. I was on the full Obagi program for 6-8 weeks and had no results, other than I noticed that my left cheek has these white patches scattered in between my freckles. Now I am in search of something to even up my skin tone.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl: I think the Pete Thomas Roth lightening products without the hydroquinone look good and there are also a couple of products on the diana Yvonne webiste that I'm thinking of trying that are also hydroquinone free lighteners. On the Diana Yvonne webiste you can purchase samples and I might do that first just to see what they are like.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks lily. Off to check out DY and PTR!
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kojic acid, licorice root extract, arbutin, azelaic acid will all work to lighten your skin. To limit melanocyte production, vitamin C serum will help. AHA peels are a nice way to get quick results then move on to a regular "bleaching" routine. I like Pevonia's Lightening Gel for spot treatment around my chin area.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
DHC has the arbutin, and it has several of those ingredients in it that you mention Betterat40. Would you or anyone know if this is a good product?
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Mabey try a system like Obagi.
neroliwater
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I tried PTR ultra-light skin-lightening gel with hydroquinone for one month and I didn't see any improvement. Then I decided to switch to something I trust.... Neostrata AHA15 gel, to treat my acne, scar, dark spots at the same time.

Previously I used it for a month, one very little dark spot on my face was lightened. But later I got bored with the stingy feeling every time I applied it and I switched to something else. I picked it up again two weeks ago and now I am very glad that the very faint dark spot disappeared! Another small one next to it starts to fade, though I still have tons of bigger ones.... But at least it is doing something.

This time I will continue to use it for three months and see how well can it go.

P.S., I did pay attention to that skinwhite product when it came out and restrained myself to wait until I see some reviews. Most of them turned out to be negative ones so I am not interested in it any more.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
I had 1 glycolic peel by Neostrata with citric acid mixed, but it was such a low % that it did not do anything. Maybe I should have kept going back for a series of them!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

Someone on another board is going to try this treatment which was recommended by a European laser clinic. It's interesting because they're using different actives to the usual ones - Thiotic acid, Linoleic acid and. Lactic acid. Never heard of thiotic acid before.
http://www.skinmed.co.uk/dermacosmetics/thiospot.html

It makes a point of not using hydroquinone, but my main point for posting this is that it states that Bearberry and Arbutin naturally convert to Hydroquinone in the skin. Well, this is news to me Exclamation It says

"Arbutin is the glycoside of hydroquinone and once in the skin the glycoside chain is removed releasing Hydroquinone, but inexplicably Arbutin containing products are still legal and available for sale in Europe. Lastly, and just as worrying to many, Bearberry is found in a number of well known skin lightening agents and Bearberry is a natural source of Arbutin."

Don't all panic! I have no idea if this is true, and I wonder how concentrated the doses of hydroquinone would be if it comes from a natural source anyway. But if it is true I'd rather avoid it and Arbutin is contained in a lot of popular skincare products.

Does anyone know any more about that?

BTW I find Vit C one of the most helpful things for my hyperpigmentation along with a good level of AHA exfoliation.

Thanks, Molly
skincareaid4

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
what are some products i can purchase at like cvs. just some kind of product to wipe on my face to REALLY clean all the dirt off and also lighten my skin tone.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
That's a kind of a strange request. Not sure it exists.

Most of us would cleanse effectively as step one and then apply a topical like kojic acid or Vit C on freshly cleansed skin so that it can absorb.

If you feel you've got dirt on your face then you need a better cleanser, but you can't just wipe cleanser and a topical active over your face in one go.

You may be able to buy a toner with some skin lightening actives in it, but then it's not going to be strong enough to do it's job, most likely.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using PSF Vit. C 12% solution to great effect for spot lightening and I am East Indian with a medium to dark complexion, especially now that it's summer.

Hydorquinone and I are not friends. Used a H-based product from Reviva labs this past winter and ended up with a white patch on my nose that only now is becoming a little less noticable.

Just my 2 cents.
mimiek
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I read at an arabic forum about C-vitamin shots that gives lighter skin it also evens out the skin color.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Well, I am already using Super Serum by ISC. Have been for almost 2 months now. Where it has helped tremendously, that alone is not enough for me! Thanks for the suggestions though. Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
While searching on the internet I found several interesting products. Was wondering if anyone has heard of them.
1. Euoko (Carrara) skin lightening serum (very expensive but if it would work, well worth it!)
2. Cosmesis (combination of alpha arbutin and red tea)
3. Civant (which sounds to be very similar to Euoko).

Anyone heard of any of these products?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Rileygirl
I can't understand Confused Why are you looking at Alpha-Arbutin products when you know they convert to Hydroquinone and you think it gave you hypopigmenation?
Is there something different about *Alpha*-Arbutin maybe?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
This is what I found for arbutin:

"Alpha Arbutin is a non-irritating skin lightening serum that will help to correct uneven skin tone. Alpha-Arbutin was formulated to mimic the behavior of Hydroquinone without exposing the dermis to the risks of rebound-hyperpigmentation - were the area of skin being treated is becomes more discolored than it was prior to treatemt."

I guess I was just hoping that it would have a different effect on the hypopigmentation!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |