Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE in MMU = Clogged pores!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Ok. I wish I had realized this OH, several months ago. I know the topic has been mentioned previously, but I wanted to get the word out for anyone who uses this unknowingly and is confused why their skin is suddenly congested/has blackheads or whiteheads and they can't figure out why.

I never thought I had 'sensitive' skin, so I never really thought of it when I had heard that Bismuth Oxychloride can be irritating to some people. So I went on, sampling several brands, trying mostly to find a color I liked. "Irritating" to me meant...makes your skin itchy or something like that.

Well my pores have been driving me crazy lately and so I really tried to narrow down the cause. Well, I figured it out (finally)! It's the $%^%$ Bismuth Oxychloride. Apparently "irritation" = clogged pores! (for me, at least)

I realize this isn't a solution for everyone, I just feel so stupid for not realizing this sooner and I wanted to share this in case anyone else is affected by it. I have been seeing SO many posts on here regarding mysterious milia/skin bumps/clogged pores/congestion and it makes me wonder if this might be the reason for some of us! Sad

I found some info online:
"A common ingredient found in mineral makeup lines is Bismuth Oxychloride. It is widely used and touted for its sheen, silkiness and adhesion. However, there is controversy over whether the use of Bismuth negates claims that mineral makeup lines are “good for all skin types.” Bismuth has been shown to cause irritation and/or rash in some women’s skin. Typically, the women that experience problems with Bismuth are ones that suffer with sensitive skin, acne and/or rosacea - the very women that turn to mineral makeup for its natural ingredients, superior coverage and non-irritating properties in the first place.

Some women use pricey mineral makeup lines because they believe they do not contain ingredients that clog pores. While their pores are not being clogged or made bigger, mineral makeup can make them appear larger. The culprit is Bismuth! Bismuth can make the pores on a teenage girl look magnified. What about all of us in our 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s?"From-http://www.sheermiracle.com/Janes-Thoughts/?p=3

"Mineral makeup is becoming ever popular as we become more and more conscious of what we are putting onto our skin and bodies. Because of this increased awareness people are asking more questions. And one of the most popular questions is about the ingredient bismuth oxychloride. Women want to know what it is and why it is in so many brands of mineral cosmetics.

There are a lot of almost facts and half- truths flying around out there. In this article we'll learn what bismuth oxychloride is, where it comes from, why it is used, and if makeup with it as an ingredient is a good choice for you.

Bismuth is the by-product of lead and copper refining, as well as other metals to a smaller degree. Bismuth occurs very rarely in nature. It is on the periodic table of elements under the symbol Bi at atomic number 83. It is very heavy and chemically resembles arsenic and antimony. It has a whitish/iridescent hue and has a very high shine property to it. Of all the heavy metals it is the only non-toxic. Bimsuth is a carrier for fuel in nuclear reactors. Bismuth components are used in everything from detection work, to making acrylic fibers, to safety devices in fire detection and extinguishing items, soldering, magnets and medicine as well as cosmetics. Because it is a by-product of lead refining, bismuth oxychloride should be lead free when companies begin using it in their cosmetics.

Companies use this in their cosmetics because it is cheap to buy and is an inexpensive filler. It does have binding qualities, so the makeup will "stick" to your skin, so to speak. There are other products that are just as effective at adhesion, and are better for your skin. Because of its molecular make up, it is often viewed as shiny or pearlescent. It is often sold in these two varieties. This makes it highly refractive, which is something companies want. Refraction will camouflage fine lines, wrinkles and discolorations. If you use a brand with bismuth oxychloride you'll notice a shiny look after applying the makeup. Not like oiliness, but almost shimmery. That's the bismuth oxychloride.

It's a very heavy element, which makes it difficult for many people to wear. It has to be forced into the pores (hence the buffing technique) otherwise it is capable of sliding off the wearer's face. The heaviness can result in clogged pores or irritated skin. Bismuth oxychloride often feels silky and not rough when rubbed between the fingers. Mineral makeup companies that do not use it have a lighter feeling makeup that usually blends into the skin better and with less effort.

Its molecular makeup is a crystalline shape, which may be a cause of the itchiness some women get when they wear it. Many women experience noticeable itching when they sweat. Don't forget it is also kin to arsenic, chemically. Your body will reject things it does not like, and if you'll get sick from ingesting arsenic, it would make sense that your skin would get irritated from having arsenic forced into it.

So, if you find you're experiencing some problems with your current mineral makeup and it contains bismuth oxychloride, you may want to consider switching brands. Many women experience skin irritation when using mineral makeup and don't know why. It's likely that bismuth oxychloride is the reason."-Article Source: ****://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Lynn_Starner

I did a test of the MMUs I have and yep, the ones that have the B.O. (haha) clog my pores, especially on/around my nose. The ones that don't contain it, cause none.
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:45 am      Reply with quote
Olyn, thanks for sharing the information. I don't feel any noticable irritation when I use BE makeup (which contains B.O.) but I still would like to switch to other brand considering the pore-enlarging potential.

I've just post a link where many MMU brands ingredients are listed
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14241

I've heard that besides BO., Mica could also be an irritant for some people. If someone has further information, please share here.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Wawa, I found that MMU for the eyes that had mica, was irritating for my eyes. I can use foundation with mica though. It is alot of trial and error to find what works for your skin and mmu co. use different % of ingrediants in their products, so sometimes it's not just the bismuth or mica it can be what is the #1 ingrediant. Go to the Mineral Makeup Mania forum, I found it very helpfu. HTH.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:23 am      Reply with quote
Mica and I do not get along. I found the only MMU that does not irritate my skin is TRUE pressed foundation (thanks to Carekates rave). The MMU Mania board is ever so helpful, I loved it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Mica and I do not get along. I found the only MMU that does not irritate my skin is TRUE pressed foundation (thanks to Carekates rave). The MMU Mania board is ever so helpful, I loved it.

Where can I find more info about this line? Thanks Smile Smile Smile .
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Ditto to what WAWA posted! Smile
tisa
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi ladies Smile - True cosmetics is available right here at essential day spa. HTH wave
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
tisa wrote:
Hi ladies Smile - True cosmetics is available right here at essential day spa. HTH wave

*smacks self* Embarassed

Thanks, Tisa!
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Olyn! I'm currently blending two shades from Youngblood and Jane Iredale to match my skintone. I'm going to try going without MMU to see if it has any effect on my skin. Will update!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
dollbird wrote:
Thanks Olyn! I'm currently blending two shades from Youngblood and Jane Iredale to match my skintone. I'm going to try going without MMU to see if it has any effect on my skin. Will update!

Dollbird, did you notice any change?
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm one of the sad little people who are affected by bismuth as well. I think mica might be a problem for me too because I got samples of Everyday Minerals, and their first ingredient is mica. The first day I wore it, my skin was freaking out by the time I got home. I am using the True compact and it hasn't caused any problems for me - I just WISH I had more luck with it not creasing.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
makeupfiend wrote:
I'm one of the sad little people who are affected by bismuth as well. I think mica might be a problem for me too because I got samples of Everyday Minerals, and their first ingredient is mica. The first day I wore it, my skin was freaking out by the time I got home. I am using the True compact and it hasn't caused any problems for me - I just WISH I had more luck with it not creasing.

Makeupfiend, do you use a primer? I'm glad you mentioned the mica, I am currently deciding whether or not I react to that as well. It's so frustrating! I thought about trying True but I was concerned about trying to choose a color online. The best luck I have had so far is with Physician's formula...it seems like everything else I've tried seems great at first and then I give it a couple weeks and realize it's messing me up. Sad
ParisTroika
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
OMG! this explains so much for me.
Embarassed

I really appreciate this thread!!!!
I stopped using BE 4 years ago because I thought it was making me break out.
Then I kept seeing the infomercials telling me it's good for everyone and doesn't make you break out.
So I started using it again.
And though fewer, I still break out now.

I wonder how my skin would be without Bismuth????

Wow...thank you sooo much for the info! Idea

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Olyn wrote:

Makeupfiend, do you use a primer? I'm glad you mentioned the mica, I am currently deciding whether or not I react to that as well. It's so frustrating! I thought about trying True but I was concerned about trying to choose a color online. The best luck I have had so far is with Physician's formula...it seems like everything else I've tried seems great at first and then I give it a couple weeks and realize it's messing me up. Sad

Olyn, I don't use a primer because I haven't yet found one that doesn't make me break out too! UG! Confused
When I apply my makeup, I put down a very thin layer of Milk of Magnesia, then Bare Escentuals Bare Vitamins Skin Rev-er Upper and then my True compact over the top. I apply it with a flocked sponge and it DEFINITELY looks better over the pores with the sponge vs a kubuki brush. Better coverage too. I wear Satin or Natural in Jane Iredale and got the True compact in Medium #3 and it matches perfect. Have you found a good primer that doesn't bother your skin?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I've been trying the Monistat, does not cause any irritation. But I do think I will use my Sheisido liquid foundation more cause I have been experiencing more milia and little bumps. This has all started a while back so now I am wondering if the MMU was the cause and the sensitivity just resulted. When I try to use the DR H CC to help uncongest my pores I get excema and rash and have to back off my IS Clinical stuff until it calms down. I'll go a few weeks w/o my True and see if that helps. I cannot wear the Amazing or Everyday at all. I put on the Everyday and it's an immediate itchfest!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Makeupfiend-
I use the monistat too. I've been using it for a couple months now and I actually have Less irritation when I use it (vs no primer at all). I think it's because it helps prevent most of the makeup from getting in my pores.
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Olyn - that definitely makes sense that a primer would provide a barrier between your skin and the makeup. I'll have to pick up a tube of it and see if it helps the True stay more TRUE through the day. I feel kinda silly complaining, considering it looks 100% better than liquid foundation but it'd be nice to be totally satisfied. Let me know if you decide to purchase a True mineral compact how you end up liking it.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
For the past few weeks, i have developed blackheads on my foreheads for the first time. I never got blackheads in that area before, and was very confused about what i was doing wrong in my skincare, especially since i was using the Clarisonic brush. Turns out it was my MMU. I stopped using my JI and Youngblood this week and the blackheads are gone, with the help of my Clarisonic. Still waiting for samples of Lauress and Everyday minerals to arrive, but will go without JI for now. Thanks Olyn for bringing this to our attention. I couldn't have singled out the MMU-causing-blackheads so easily if it wasn't for this thread.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Smile Glad to have helped, Dollbird! I have spent a lot of time sampling different MMUs over this past year or so, because they provide such good coverage. But it seems that for me, they all seem to have a negative impact on the clarity of my skin. It is usually not noticeable right away and then I'll have few clogged pores here or there and stop using the MMU and the problem goes away. It seems like the obvious choice for me is to just stay away from MMU but it's so hard! Rolling Eyes
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I know this totally defeats the point of mineral makeup, but it seems like the ONLY luck I have with not getting clogged pores is using a tinted moisturizer first and then MMU over the top to fill in the parts that need extra coverage. I had probably 3-4 blemishes consistently using just MMU alone - even formulas without bismuth. Once I went back to using a tinted moisturizer before the MMU, my skin is 100% clear and has been for several weeks. But now it's kind of funny, becuase my skin has been consistently happy, that the MMU layer is sort of an unnecessary step cuz I really don't need the extra coverage right now! I think part of it is when you buff the minerals into your skin, maybe the brush irritates sensitive skin and makes it more vulnerable to bacteria. One thing is for sure, I never ever thought I would wake up in the morning and look at my bare skin and feel beautiful. Very Happy
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:34 am      Reply with quote
You know, I agree. I think that the buffing of MMU into my sensitive skin is making it irritated....I am excited to try the Aromaleigh silicone-coated varieties.
tweety
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the new Savvy mineral foundations at sally beauty supply? I"M not sure if it contains bismuth or not....the website doesn't list ingredients.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Makeupfiend,
I'm glad you have had such good results! What tinted moisturizer do you use?
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I'm having the best results so far with MD Skincare Tinted Moisturizer w/SPF 15. I've gone through two big samples of it and NO breakouts and I just ordered a full size from EDS today. It is very light in texture and a little goes a long way. I just dab a few dots on my face with a brush and blend, then smooth my True Cosmetics pressed MMU on and I'm done. Using the tinted moisturizer first also really helps with the huge pore effect that MMU alone gives me. Also, with True, I had alot of troubles with it creasing and I don't have that when I use the tinted moisturizer as a base. I am soo pleased!
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Wow!
This explains alot!
Thanks for the info.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |