Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Mineral Oil & Valmont Renewing Pack
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lucinda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I have long been told that mineral oil blocks the pores. Is this correct??

I have the Valmont Renewing Pack but am not sure whether to use it if I have a break out..?
Why is this so expensive... Mineral oil is cheap, and it seems to be a key ingredient in high end brands...?... Confused

TIA.
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
I need some info on this one too, way too much confusing info on mineral oil and I see them on most ingredient lists. Some expert opinion please!
Mabsy

Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Here's a thread that should help you Wink

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9048
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
The whole idea of mineral oil being bad for the skin was de-bunked in a study done at (I think) the U of C. It is only used to retain moisture in the skin and was found to have no adverse effects. I remember reading this 2 or 3 years ago.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thats correct sportygirl. Theres a lot of misinformation swirling around the internet. Go to the reputable sites such as the Cosmetic Fragrance and Toiletry Associations. Also Paula Begoun debunks cosmetic myths as well.
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Lucinda wrote:
I have long been told that mineral oil blocks the pores. Is this correct??

I have the Valmont Renewing Pack but am not sure whether to use it if I have a break out..?
Why is this so expensive... Mineral oil is cheap, and it seems to be a key ingredient in high end brands...?... Confused

TIA.

I always have a bit tangling sensation if I apply a thick layer on my face, and I believe your skin tangled more if it is applied on the blemishes...maybe put a thin layer or avoid those area would be better.
Lyrics

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I don't think mineral oil is the devil as some "natural" companies like to claim, but I don't think it's the best ingredient either. It can be a God-send, though!
I am having an allergic reaction on my lips from using wheat germ oil (all natural) to help heal a scar on my lip (bad fall, 5 stitches, long story), and it made my lips break out horribly. They became sore, and had blisters all over. Well, I starterd to use my lip balm that I normally use, which is an all natural product, containing macademia oil, olive oil, beeswax and shea butter (and nothing else). I'vev been using this for 2 years (after I found out mineral oil was the devil) with no problems. My lips are highly sensitive, so I can't use anything with essential oils or fragrance on them. When using lipstick, I have to line my lips with this lipbalm. Anyway, the lip balm failed me, and my lips became even more sore, and I had dark skin all over, and it burned. So, on a whim, I bought a small Vaseline pot (pure mineral oil) and rubbed a thick layer on my lips. My lips immediately calmed down, and two days into this, they are looking much better and are healing. So, I guess it depends!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I have used some moisturizers which contain mineral oil (cream de la mer and sisley ecological compound), they all somehow made me break out. Cream de La mer was much better than sisley.

However, I also used sisley's cleansing milk with white lily, and shu Uemura cleansing oil (once two weeks), they didn't cause any problem.

I guess mineral oil can really cause breakouts, but it does so only when it stays on top of your skin for quite long. But my suggestion is that if you have acne- prone skin, then better not touch it.

5% products discount

Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Lyrics wrote:
I don't think mineral oil is the devil as some "natural" companies like to claim, but I don't think it's the best ingredient either. It can be a God-send, though!
I am having an allergic reaction on my lips from using wheat germ oil (all natural) to help heal a scar on my lip (bad fall, 5 stitches, long story), and it made my lips break out horribly. They became sore, and had blisters all over. Well, I starterd to use my lip balm that I normally use, which is an all natural product, containing macademia oil, olive oil, beeswax and shea butter (and nothing else). I'vev been using this for 2 years (after I found out mineral oil was the devil) with no problems. My lips are highly sensitive, so I can't use anything with essential oils or fragrance on them. When using lipstick, I have to line my lips with this lipbalm. Anyway, the lip balm failed me, and my lips became even more sore, and I had dark skin all over, and it burned. So, on a whim, I bought a small Vaseline pot (pure mineral oil) and rubbed a thick layer on my lips. My lips immediately calmed down, and two days into this, they are looking much better and are healing. So, I guess it depends!

Vaseline is petrolatum--another much derided ingredient. I try to avoid products with petrolatum and mineral oil, but for some problems--in particular, dry, cracked heels--Vaseline/Aquaphor seems to work the best. Too occlusive for the face though.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
ughghgh. Mineral oil won't harm your skin, and it will certainly help your skin produce oil if your skin is in need of more oil, because it is occlusive. it can help as a barrier against the elements.

BUT it makes a lot of people break out, and the QUALITY OF THE REFINEMENT OF THE INGREDIENT, WHICH COMES STRAIGHT FROM THE REFINERIES THAT PRODUCE CRUDE OIL AND GASOLINE IS NOT CONTROLLED BY THE FDA. So you basically never know if the mineral oil you are getting is cosmetic grade or food grade or what. It's the same with glycerin, most of which is imported from China, and huge batches of raw glycerin were recently tested and found to have poison in it. In fact people who ingested cough syrup and toothpaste died from this glycerin.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/02/us/02toothpaste.html

But the real reason not to use mineral oil, in my opinion at least, is political:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22445&highlight=mineral+oil

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
I posted the following quotes in the KH thread, and copy and paste them here for you to offer the 'good' side.. Also important to know, is that the mineral oil used in cosmetics is; pharmaceutical grade..

"Watch out for the discrediting of mineral oil in skin care products."

{One company demands a premium price on their products because they claim that their products are more natural because they do not use mineral oil. Part of their marketing is a dramatic demonstration equating using mineral oil to rubbing crude petroleum on one's face...preposterous! It is true that mineral oil is a derivative of crude petroleum, but it is highly processed to achieve pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil. There are well-documented skin care benefits of pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil and who is foolish enough to rub crude petroleum on their face anyway?}

{Mineral oil. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and it cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).}

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
kassy,

the problem with mineral oil is that in order to be processed, it is altered and processed by so many toxic chemicals. also this process is NOT regulated, despite the claim that there are "grades." I've made the decision to use unprocessed botanical oils that function in the same way as mineral oil on my skin--simply because--and I'll repeat it here:
I don't think the cosmetics industry went running up to the petrochemical industry to beg them for their leftovers. Rather, the petrochemical industry found a convenient way to use and market their refuse.

--avalange

Kassy_A wrote:
I posted the following quotes in the KH thread, and copy and paste them here for you to offer the 'good' side.. Also important to know, is that the mineral oil used in cosmetics is; pharmaceutical grade..

"Watch out for the discrediting of mineral oil in skin care products."

{One company demands a premium price on their products because they claim that their products are more natural because they do not use mineral oil. Part of their marketing is a dramatic demonstration equating using mineral oil to rubbing crude petroleum on one's face...preposterous! It is true that mineral oil is a derivative of crude petroleum, but it is highly processed to achieve pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil. There are well-documented skin care benefits of pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil and who is foolish enough to rub crude petroleum on their face anyway?}

{Mineral oil. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and it cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).}

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi avalange

I was actually very surprised myself when I read what I quoted in the previous post, but I felt it was important to share. There are actually 3 different grades of mineral oil, and from what I read while researching it, the pharmaceutical grade seems to get good reviews with those in the know..

Personally I haven't used a product containing mineral oil, since my teenage years when I basked in the sun covered in baby oil. But my reason was that I thought it clogged pores, and was just a cheap filler....I had no idea about the other information you provided, which was interesting and scary.

To tell you the truth, I'm really of the mind that less is more when it comes to topical products. My own routine is really very simple and basic, involving a few actives that I formulate myself and use very sparingly. Sometimes I shudder when I read some of the products that are being used by folks everyday. I've been tempted several times to jump on the bandwagon for a few tempting products, but then when I research the ingredients, I change my mind, because I really don't want some of those chemicals being absorbed through my bloodstream transdermally.

This is just my personal feelings and opinion on the subject, but I really feel, that some of the things we do today, will come back to haunt us in times to come.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi Avalange,
What botanical oils are you using - what companies and types?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |