Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
French manicure
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:38 am      Reply with quote
I just had a french manicure done the other day. I don't usually go out to get my nails done (ok, I've had them done TWICE in my life now) but after traveling for so long and having issues with jet lag I figured I'd let someone else worry about my nails.

I have tried doing my own french manicure heaps of times and it never worked out. I used all sorts of stuff (like the little stick-on guides, etc) but the guides didn't fit the natural curve of the white part of my nails. So, I asked the lady to do a french manicure and I watched how she did it. Brilliant! Much to my horror, she painted on the white tips without worrying about the line (they looked terrible!) she did two coats of these and then pulled out a shot glass, a small rounded arts brush and some nail polish remover. Put some nail polish remover in the shot glass, dipped the brush and then proceeded to create lovely and even lines on my nails, erasing all the messy excess white nail polish. The result was fabulous! She then filled in the part below the white nailpolish with some clear/rosey polish and then did a top coat. I'm going to have to try this myself though I fear it's a tad more difficult than she made it look.

I thought I'd share this - I know this may not be news to everyone but seeing how long I have tried to figure out how to do a french manicure this was a breakthrough for me Very Happy
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:39 am      Reply with quote
wow, I never knew either! I'm gonna give this a try as well! Thanks for the tip Very Happy
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
I love getting my nails done. Whenever I attempt to try to do it myself, it never works out
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:04 am      Reply with quote
So that's how they do it!

I used to try to do my own years ago with those sticky things and you're right ... they never seemed to work very well.

Now I hardly wear nail polish on my finger nails ... it always chips off to quickly on me. I just use one of those buff things to make them shiny. I only wear toe nail polish which seems to last alot longer.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
The last time I had a french manicure, they used one of those nail polish remover pens.
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
So that's how they do it!

I used to try to do my own years ago with those sticky things and you're right ... they never seemed to work very well.

Now I hardly wear nail polish on my finger nails ... it always chips off to quickly on me. I just use one of those buff things to make them shiny. I only wear toe nail polish which seems to last alot longer.

Same for me - a nice French manicure on the toes goes great with every sandel!
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome back, Mabsy Very Happy I just had a french mani/pedi last week..I usually have it done once a year, at the beginning of summertime. The manicurist did mine the same way you described...it's amazing! My pedicure still looks as good as the day I had it done, but my french manicure only lasted a few days before it starting chipping Sad I've tried those stick-on guides, too, but made a mess of it..if you decide to try the brush & remover method, please let us know how it goes...and how much patience it takes Wink
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
The last time I had a french manicure, they used one of those nail polish remover pens.

I actually just bought one of these from Avon. I'm gonna try it in the next few days and tell you how it goes!
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhh...that's how they do it.

I tried doing my nails myself - it was so messy! I have such shaky hands. I'll have to go back to try the remover trick!
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
I love the look of a French manicure -- it's so elegant. And ditto about the strips. But how could one possibly use the technique Mabsy described without an extreme degree of ambidexterity? I'm somewhat ambidextrous but I still have trouble when I try to do a dark color -- which is why I almost always wear sheer, pale colors on my hands! Maybe if it's a special occasion and I know I'll be in a darker, ambient-lit room, I'll attempt something like red, but in daytime it would look like my nails were dripping with blood, I'm such a pathetic, pitiful manicurist. I only do bold colors on my toes and hope no one scrutinizes my handiwork.

I'd be interested (and jealous) to know if anyone can pull off Mabsy's technique on themselves! In my case, some things are better left to the pros.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Yen wrote:

I actually just bought one of these from Avon. I'm gonna try it in the next few days and tell you how it goes!

Please do. Smile The manicurist (spelling?) suggested that I could make my own nail polish remover pen by using a dried out highlighter and soaking it in nail polish remover. I haven't tried that yet.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:53 am      Reply with quote
I think it costed me $40.00 including tips last time. My wallet won't allow me anymore, haha!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I can never get my nails right they are always different lengths. I have no spatial awareness Laughing

I would like to do my own nails but they just don't look great. I have friends who think I'm excessive but they also can't understand why I have my eyebrows threaded as you can pluck them yourself. They all have v thin eyebrows...no thanks!

To me two hours a month in a salon to have my eyebrows, manicure and waxing is well worth the cost of not worrying about it for the rest of the time.

BTW my personal opinion is that french manicures look a bit trying too hard, but that could be because the footballers wives have them. What about an American one?
Mabsy

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
What about an American one?

What is an American one like? Question
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Sounds good, I am going to try it!!
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:08 am      Reply with quote
American manicures are a creamy pinky varnish with a cream tip (though there are variations). So it looks nice but not so sharp as a French manicure.
Mabsy

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:46 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
American manicures are a creamy pinky varnish with a cream tip (though there are variations). So it looks nice but not so sharp as a French manicure.

Ah! See, this is what I actually wanted but thought it was French Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I use an orange stick for my French/American manis and pedis. The one good thing about being left-handed is that it has forced me to become a lot more ambidextrous than the average person just to be able to conform to the right-handed world around me. Because of this, I’m able to do a pretty good job when it comes time to paint on the sheer-white or off-white tips for my pseudo-French manicures and/or pedicures although I do admit that I paint my toes a lot more often than my nails, but this is simply because my hands are in pretty rough shape and I don’t want to wear polish on them very often so as not to draw any more attention to them than is strictly necessary. I keep my nails short and buffed, but I’m definitely not one of those women who goes to get their nails done every other week.

Anyway, I’ve also tried those horrible stick-on guides for the french tips and the problem I always had was that when you peeled them off, some of the sticky residue from the glue would be left behind and it was nearly impossible to remove without also taking off the white polish I had just painstakingly applied. If it wasn’t the problem with the glue, then it was the fact that there was an obvious “ledge” between the white tips and the pinky area that just looked uneven and unnatural to me.

The first time I had a french pedi done, I went to the salon to watch how the lady did it and she sort of sloppily applied the white tips in the manner that Mabsy described, but instead of a small paint brush dipped in remover, my chick used the pointy-side of an orange-wood (cuticle) stick dipped in remover to even things out and make a clean “line” between the white and the sheer, pale color. When the time came for me to need to re-do my toes, I used the same technique and it worked great. Because the wood isn’t absorbent like a cotton swab (Qtip) or paint brush, you can’t accidentally apply too much nail polish remover and end up messing up the rest of my polish-job.

Another trick I learned with the orange-wood stick was to use the pointy end to swipe all the way around the nail base to remove excess polish. To me, there are two telltale signs for a homemade mani/pedi: 1) forgetting to use a topcoat to “seal” in the shine for your polish, and 2) having polish bled past the nail bed and up on to the cuticle area. The way to prevent this is to use the pointy end of the orange stick and wipe it around the cuticles on all three sides of the nail to remove the excess polish. It sounds like such a simple thing, but it makes a world of difference when it comes to providing more professional-looking results.

I also have a couple of other tricks when it comes to painting one’s tips or toes:

• After you’ve removed your old polish and cuticles, but before you apply your new basecoat, make sure that your nails are completely clean and free of any sort of residue by moistening a papertowel with a bit of vinegar (white or ACV, it doesn’t matter) and swipe it over each nail. This removes all oils or invisible soapy residues which will allow your polish to adhere to the nail more completely. You know when you can peel off your nail polish in a single giant hunk? Shock The reason it’s peeling like that is because there was some sort of residue on the nail that prevented the paint from adhering to the surface of the nail!

• To prolong your manicure or pedicure, apply 1 coat of your fave shiny topcoat (I love Seche Vite fast-drying topcoat or Essie’s Shine-e Polish Refresher) every 3-4 days to maintain the shiny, glossy look of your nails because they can begin to look dull in a very short period of time. The biggest culprit: simply taking a shower or bath can make ones tips or toes look dull, despite using a shiny topcoat. This is because of the dulling residue left by soap or shampoo/condtioner – remember those old “Zestfully Clean” bathsoap commercials where they demonstrated the soapy residue on a glass shower door? The same thing happens to your nails.

Don’t believe me? Next time you get out of the shower, make a point to rub down your polished nails with the towel on one hand or foot and compare them to the other set of nails and look how much cleaner and shiny the nails are on the side you wiped down! Because of this, I make it a point to swipe down my fingernails and toenails every other towel with a paper towel moistened with vinegar to remove all that dulling residue so my tips and toes look as glossy as they did the first day of my manicure/pedicure.

Okay, this concludes CareKate’s nail polish seminar for today! Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Carekate, you really really really should write a book.

Even if you just compiled all your reviews, self-published, and advertised it on the web and received payments through PayPal, I believe you would do very well. I have purchased a beauty tips book that way, and trust me, the author did not even have 1/1000 of your talent.

I have followed - either slavishly to the letter or been creatively inspired by - so many of your reviews, both on here and on MUA. In fact I have been so busy running around finding ingredients and *brewing them up* Very Happy and trying them out that I don't have much time to write about it. You have a very special ability to inspire people to want to try out your tips, and then the tips actually work.

Also, with a book, you shouldn't have to worry about legal issues as you would with a product.

Can't wait to go home and re-do my manicure with the orange stick technique Laughing .
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I tried to do my french manicure as Mabsy described. I made a mess! I can't paint with my left hand, and I ended up swiping off too much on certain fingers. For me, I think it is best left to the pros to do. I'm so unco-ordinated!!
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
I did it. I think it turned out well. One thing I realized is that in the first place, I don't have much problem making a pretty straight line on the tips or with getting polish on the sides of my fingers. But the orange wood stick still helped with clearing things up between the polish and the cuticle area.

I used No Miss Casselberry Cream on the tips, with 2 coats of No Miss Bikini Pink over it. Zoya Anchor and Armor for base and top coats. I did the wiping off the nails with vinegar thing, but my nails are so dry, I will have to go back to my regular use of Vit E oil, rubbed in and the excess wiped off.

Since a couple of my nails were in such bad shape, I used "Calisco Invisible Nail Bandages" for the first time. They are some little transparent plastic stickies for split nails. Mine were not all the way split, but were heading in that direction. The "nail bandages" are not perfect, they are still slightly visible under all the polish, but they are still better than my usual technique of pieces of tea bags glued to my nails.
Mabsy

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I had to take the lovely French polish off today as it started cracking a few days ago. I got about a week out of it (a little more), which is good I think. I need to stock up on supplies for doing a French polish but as soon as I do have a go at doing one I shall report back...
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
This is a great tip, Mabsy. I've had a few manicures and the french ones never last very long so doing them at home is a lot more economical.

I like the art brush better than using a Qtip, as well. Makes it easier with better control, I think.

Oh, and I'm the only one who hates french on the toes? Ick.
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I had an idea to use the "Calico [not Calisco Bad Grin - the name is written in script and I couldn't read it correctly] Invisible Nail Bandages" as artificial tips for my nails. The nail bandages are small, clear ovals with adhesive on one side. Like labels, they come on a sheet of paper, to be peeled off. They range in different sizes to match the different sizes of nails.

While the nail bandages were still on the paper, I cut a concave shape into them so that the end result matched the shape of the tips of my nails. I then removed them from the paper, and stuck them, adhesive side down, to the tips. Then I did a French manicure, as above, painting over my new nail bandage tips with the cream color. Next time I will try to cut down on the number of coats of polish I used Very Happy , but otherwise this turned out fantastically well, since my nails can now grow all I want, and most important, end up the same length.

Approx. $3USD at Longs Drugstores.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:07 am      Reply with quote
Just found this thread. Thanks for sharing, Mabsy! Smile Great tip.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |