Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

So Bummed - Benzoyl Peroxide substitutes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:44 am      Reply with quote
I'm truly bummed. I just found out that benzoyl peroxide totally clears my face (a miracle) and yet, it creates damaging free radicals in the process. Sad After searching on this site, I see that many of our members have already discovered this about BP. You all are so awesome! I was recently at a website and read this about benzoyl peroxide:

Quote:
Benzoyl peroxide: Benzoyl peroxide is a topical acne product which exhibits antibacterial activity. This is how it works: it presents antimicrobial effects against Propionibacterium acnes, which is the predominant organism in sebaceous follicles and comedones. The main mechanism of action of benzoyl peroxide depends on the release of oxygen free-radicals, which are capable of oxidizing bacterial proteins.

So it sounds to me like it isn't just that it is antibacterial, but that it is of a type of antibacterial in which the actual oxidation process kills the bacteria? Otherwise wouldn't something like neosporin do just as well? Anyone know of other antibacterials that will specifically kill the p.acne bacteria?
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
BP never worked for me in clearing up my acne - it only kept it at bay. I have now switched to Yonka's Juvenil and Creme 15 and for me it works as well as BP. There are many in this forum who also rave about Juice Beauty's Blemish Clearing Serum which contains 1% salicylic acid and other good for your skin ingredients.

HTH
Kerryshka
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have had a lot of good luck with salicylic acid and retin-a to keep my skin clear. I also really like the decleor ylang ylang balm. I am allergic to BP so I cannot use it.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
So glad you have found safer things that work for you. I've tried retin-A, salyclic, glycolic, exfoliation, etc. and the only thing that works for me is BP, which is why I need an equivalent.
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you can turn to aromatherapy? Tea tree oil for one has been documented as having anti-bacteria properties. I'm trying to stop using BP too, and having some Jurlique products shipped my way. Will update if I found those helpful.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
So glad you have found safer things that work for you. I've tried retin-A, salyclic, glycolic, exfoliation, etc. and the only thing that works for me is BP, which is why I need an equivalent.

I am also a "closet Persa-Gel user."

However! I've found the following to help control my hormonal acne:

1)Diet. It's better for you, your skin, your body, everything. Just do it, as they say. Cut out refined and processed white sugar, white breads/pasta. Drink more water and increase raw vegetable/fruit consumption. Switch from regular to organic milk.

2)Switch from liquid foundation to mineral. I love the Armani foundations, but, sticking with a mineral ensures I won't get as many pimples.

3)Don't touch your face! When I leave mine alone I tend to have very clear skin.

Product wise, these are the "stars" of helping me get perfect skin:

Decleor Ylang-Ylang oil. Truly a miracle. I use this during the day.

Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum. Great ingredients, I use this every other night.

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel. I use this 1-2x a week.

Dr. Hauschka Rhythmic Night Conditioner. I don't use it every day, but, if my skin is acting up, I use this at night until things improve.

Astara Blue Flame mask. *love* this stuff. I use it 1-2x a week. Very effective for blemished skin.

Biologique Recherche p50. This stuff is the big guns. Your skin will go through one hell of a purging process, but, after the storm ends, you'll enjoy lovely and clear skin.

Yonka Juvenil. I have a love/hate with this stuff. At first, it could do no wrong, now, it seems my skin grew immune or something. I still keep a bottle on hand and mix it with Dr. Hauschka's clay mask for a spot treatment of BIG cystic acne.

HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hello
I am a BP and SA user and will forever be. I have tried other products to get off of these and my face goes hay wire. Would rather have a clear face. Sorry
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
Hello
I am a BP and SA user and will forever be. I have tried other products to get off of these and my face goes hay wire. Would rather have a clear face. Sorry

Not sure who the sorry is for... I'm pretty sure everyone given dietary/life changes and different products can control acne. Yes, BP and SA might be an easier solution, but, not the only one Smile

I happen to have a hormonal condition where it's in the medical books to have uncontrollable cystic acne. I have a perfectly clear face. No medicine, no chemical treatments like BP.

Why? I eat healthy, exercise and use wonderful things from nature such as the Ylang-Ylang oil (thanks to the ladies of EDS.)

There was a wonderful quote on a health podcast I just heard... "If you do things the easy way, your life will be hard. If you do things the hard way, your life will be easy."

Be open and you'll be amazed at what you can discover Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
pnw,

I suggest that you go to www.wholehealthmd.com and look under skin health or acne. This is one of the best resources of information for health and well being, in my opinion.

I could give you specific recommendations but really if there was just one answer for this situation no one would have acne, and we all know that that has not happened yet...

I like Ice Elements products to balance the skin and exfoliate along with the supplements that are lacking in my diet, as outlined at whole health md.

Good luck.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
pnw,

I am also trying to find a substitute for BP. Right now I am trying the Jurlique Herbal Recovery Mist OP which has calendula and is supposed to be mildy antibacterial. I have used this on and off for 2 years and am right now experimenting to see if it will help with my acne. It is too soon to report. Actually I see no reason why it should work but I will wait a few more weeks....

If the Jurlique doesn't work I have a whole list of things to try. Here is a list of things that I am considering or have considered and decided against.

1.Tea tree oil. See this link to the Cosmetics Cop webstite where she mentions a study that compared tea tree oil to BP. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/default.asp. (I can't link to the exact page but go to skin care facts then you will see a list, click on tea tree oil.) I am not sure about this one.
2.Topical antibiotics (clindamycin,etc.). I am not too keen on using antibiotics as you can develop bacterial resistance. I have used them in the past and they do work. If you want a non-perscription alternative some people have success with Neosporin, although I don't know if the cream or emolient base would be appropriate for acne prone skin, you would need to look into this.
3.PSF 02 serum. See link.http://www.essentialdayspa.com/psf-o2-rescue-serum-p_4973.htm. I am undecided on this one. It is supposed to be a safe way to deliver oxygen to your skin without causing oxidation. I can follow the science behind this but there is a part of my mind that is holding back on this because of the whole oxygen thing. That being said, it is probably a lot safer than BP.
4.Hydrogen Peroxide. Don't even try this. As bad if not worse than BP.
5.Vivier Hexam IDS gentle cleanser. I have some of this and it contains hexamide which is supposed to have antibacterial actions. I haven't tried this yet but it does sound promising. EDS sells this one.
6.Azaleic acid. I used this years ago. It is an acid but it also has antibacterial effects. I might consider using this again. The thing that I liked about it is that unlike other AHAs it did not make my acne worse. There is a 20% prescription version or you can get 10% without a prescription.
7.Mandelic acid. I think that this may be somewhat similar to the azaleic but with more exfoliating effects. It also has antibacterial actions. I am still looking into this but it does seem promising.

I tried to mention products that are supposed to have antibacterial actions as I believe that is what you are looking for. Let us know what you decide to try and how it works for you!
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, these are all excellent suggestions and you can bet I'll be looking into them! Thanks everyone for all your ideas. Very Happy
Has anyone substitued cinnamon bark extract, neosporin, or tea tree oil with benzoyl peroxide and had equal success? I'm considering ordering some Bion products. Anyone tried them?
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Just a quick note to add the PSF 02 serum and the 12% Vit. C serum used in tandem with jessfoliation/neosporin cream (not oitment) have gotten me through a sudden, giant acne outbreak.

SA has never really worked for me and I'm afraid of BP (the crustiness factor and the dependency factor).

Good luck Exclamation
Kerryshka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
ok this is not a substitute for BP but jurlique calendula cream has some antibacterial properties and helps to keep skin clear. you could also just use topical clindamycin, or do a low dose round of accutane. i know those are extreme, but with the accutane you can cure any/all acne.
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Mario Badescu Drying lotion for shallow blemishes and Buffering lotion for cysts.

I just got one big painful throbbing cyst at the back of my neck/shoulder area. So weird! coz my face is clear. My period is coming though, but I'm glad that I didn't get any on my face, maybe it's coz of the routine for my face w/c I don't do for my back (ofcourse)...

I used to get one in the chest area every month... but since I extended my routine of JB peels/Vitamin C/Tretinoin to my neck/decollete, I guess it had nowhere to settle but my back/shoulder area. Why oh why. Anyways, I soaked cotton with buffering lotion and put bandaid over it overnight. It feels warm now, I hope they are calming the inflamed cyst underneath.

Sorry for the rant Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I feel your pain, pnw. BP definitely takes the wind out of my acne, but at what cost, right? Not only does it create damaging free-radicals, BUT it also makes my skin dry and flaky AND bleaches my towels and sheets, argh! Has anyone tried Nature's Gate 3-step system for acne? It's supposed to be a lot like pro-activ--- it has a cleanser, alcohol-free toner, and treatment lotion. Instead of containing BP tho, it contains salicylic acid, encapsulated tea tree oil, and Oligopeptide-10 which is a bunch of amino acids that are supposed to be acne fighters. It's also cruelty-free and paraben free---- sounds like it could really be great!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |