Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Too Faced Perfect Lips Lip Liner - Perfect Red (.04 g / .01 oz) Go Smile Touch Up Smile Perfecting Ampoules 7 Count - Watermelon Mint (7 ampoules) Vivatia Advanced Skincare System Level 1 with 0.5% Retinol (3 items)
Stearyl Alcohol in Hair Products?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
monappetit
5% products discount

Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I was using ENJOY Conditioning Spray for about a month.. in the beginning, it seemed like a miracle and made my hair so manageable and soft. I would shower my hair with multiple sprays. However, as the month went by, it seemed like my hair was drying out. So i looked at the ingredients and it had Stearyl Alcohol.. could that be the culprit that has been drying out my hair or is it something else?
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 am      Reply with quote
I think alcohol denat was the one to avoid.The one you mention is a fatty alcohol(though im not positive) It could be im thinking of cetyl alcohol(ive heard thats okay)
Does it have protein in it? That can be drying i heard.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
carolb69 is correct. Both stearyl alcohol and cetyl alcohol are fatty alcohols. These should actually have an emolient effect not a drying effect.
monappetit
5% products discount

Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I checked the ingredients again and I believe it does have protein.. Keratin Amino Acids? How often can i use protein conditioners??
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not really very knowledgeable on proteins unfortunately. I have read it could leave hair dry if you dont follow with a conditioner but i think that info i read was talking about those 5 min treatments.
I read to use once a week/fortnight if hair is coloured.
I know how you feel though, i found a mousse i loved then noticed as time went on my hair seemed drier and it had no alcohol in it.
Maybe someone else will be know more Very Happy

Maybe post the full ingrediants so we can see what else could be the culprit.
duffie
5% products discount

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:50 am      Reply with quote
this dilemma has bugged me for years. i cant figure out which particular ingredients in certain mousses/sprays that "turn" on my hair. just like your experience -at first my hair loves it, then soon after, my hair gets drier with every use. ugh. my hair is thin so i like to add a product that imparts thickness/texture. i have yet to find one that works well on a consistent basis.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:52 am      Reply with quote
duffie I don't know if this is true of not, but I have read that overuse of products with silicones will make your hair feel dry.
duffie
5% products discount

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
you are so very right theresal! i try to avoid silicones bc my hair hates them! -but this is difficult bc most styling products contain them. it seems a lot of women can use silicone shampoos and conditioners (eg redken)for a long time with no problems....but not me. Crying or Very sad

some s/c i tried with no cones still make my hair frizzy and dry (although hair is not near as dry/brittle as it is with cone products). i think my hair hates other ingred. too -but i havent figured out which ones yet. i feel like a detective.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I cant use shampoo with silicone in it, it makes my scalp go horrible with buildup. Im fine with conditioner and styling products woith silicone though but itry to avoid them.

Duffie have you tried Mastey? Their Frehair conditioner is silicone free i think and its really nice.
duffie
5% products discount

Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
i thought i was aware of A LOT of brands -but i have never heard of mastey. i will have to check it out. thanks!

sorry to go off the alcohol topic -but your culprit may be the cones?

i am so intrigued by any discussions involving hair care ingredients!

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Payot Design Ultra Lift Remodelling Lifting Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Vie Collection Youth Elixir 3.2 System (30 ml / 1 floz) Ahava Bright Skies Travel Set (5 items)