Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

ahh summer heat and skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:37 am      Reply with quote
My skin has been looking quite bad due to the summer heat. I've been breaking out on my face as well as my body. I'm currently using Dr. H products. WHat else should I be using.
Also does anybody get freckles as easily as i do? I was out in the sun the whole day yesterday and didnt put enough sun block on and today i notice so many freckles on me. Will freckles disappear?
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I don't 'do' high temps either though so far its not showing too much on my skin.
Freckles wise I think these will go as they are the sort that appear rather like a tan as opposed to the ones that develope after longer term sun exposure and that won't go.

I am very prone to freckles due to my colouring and I get the sort of freckles that fade. I use Arbutin serum (dianayvonne.com) which blocks melanin production and Vitamin C. I top that off with a European SPF50+ (Mexoryl) by L'Oreal Solar Expertise - Anti -wrinkle anti brown spot SPF - don't think these are FDA approved yet so not available in the USA. Nothing else prevents the freckles coming out!

As to keeping your skin clear - make sure you are getting the spf off. High spf's take some getting off. (Try cleansing twice with a makeup remover before using DR H Cleansing Cream.)and make sure you exfoliate regularly.
I'm sure that other people will have other suggestions too! Smile

HTH a bit

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Can't speak to the freckles, but I'm right there with you on the humidity. Here's the thread I started about it. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14258&highlight=

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I always felt Dr H left me with a bit of an oily film ( Shock no offence Dr H fans - I know there are literally thousands of you here), maybe that's not so great for the summer. Perhaps cleanse, do the Dr H, cleanse again.

I'm not an oily person and certainly not prone to acne but in this heat and humidity I could almost describe myself as combination. This is what I do.

I get my SS off my face as much as humanly possible. Wash my face as soon as I get home - don't wait. I have to wash twice sometimes, it's hard to get it all off. If I'm not going out I won't use it - that helps a lot.

I stick my face in the aircon to dry it out before/after applying things so they can absorb.

I'm not using any moisturiser at all, just watery/HA serums and going to bed with my face entirely nude a couple of nights a week at least (but hey that's a Dr H idea too Very Happy isn't it)

It *is* difficult. I think gluey, highly protective SS are the main culprit for this.

M Cool
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

I get my SS off my face as much as humanly possible. Wash my face as soon as I get home - don't wait. I have to wash twice sometimes, it's hard to get it all off. If I'm not going out I won't use it - that helps a lot.

I thought that washing your face too many times a day causes irritation which may lead to breakouts? So now I use Clarins' Water Purify to frenshen up during the day, it's not all natural but it sure helps!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I don't wash my face more often - just sometimes I have to wash twice in the same sitting to get it all off effectively.
jen jen

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used Murad products?
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lucia - It's interesting what you say about freckles. I never thought about it that way but my experience has been the same -- some come and go a lot easier than others. I've had freckles since my girlhood and in spite of all my efforts, I think many are here to stay. But every summer, just as you said, more pop out and then seem to fade fairly quickly, thankfully! My older sister (by 10 yrs.) has red hair and she has so many freckles it's starting to look like one big blotch. She's not a sunscreen person.

Hi BCgirl - I agree with Molly about thorough cleansing -- sunscreens are generally designed to last as long on the skin as possible, unlike a lot of makeup, and it takes more effort to remove them. I don't think a double washing during hot, humid weather will strip the skin, and in fact may prevent the acne you're experiencing. I use Cetaphil (I know this is a mundane cleanser for true product junkies) for normal/oily skin because of my oily sunscreens, and even at that, I generally lather up twice. If you don't already, you may want to use a toner during summer to be certain you've gotten it all off. Ones without alcohol will be gentler on the skin.

While AHAs and retinoids will help keep acne in check, if you use these they'll also make your skin more photo-sensitive so be careful not to overdo it if you're outdoors a lot.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:13 am      Reply with quote
It's really hot and humid over here right now. Though I don't have freckles on my face, my skin tends to get oily during summer months.

I'm quite happy with my am routine and it keeps oilies at bay ALL DAY (even I'm out in the sun the whole day) and keeps my skin moisturized. My current routine is:

AM
Rosewater
DIY C Serum (l-ascorbic + HA)(absorbs very well)
Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel
Annick Goutal Creme Splendide
Sofina Perfect UV SPF50+++ (this one is a MUST in keeping my face matte all day)

When I'm back home in the evening, I immediately cleanse my skin with Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil (Green Tea one), followed by maybe a mask (eg. a thin layer of Valmont Renewing Pack) left on till I take a shower before bed.

Very Happy
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi jen jen
I have used Murad products. If you use the search option up top you will find other posts on this product line. For me, it was horrible. My skin felt sticky, and never felt like it was completely clean. It gave me those huge really red pimples that never did anything. It took forever for them to dry up, if you squeezed them nothing came out, they always looked really inflamed. Not cysts, like big red lumps. I don't know how else to explain. I bought the Cleanser, Toner and most. I took every bottle back and got a refund. For me, Murad is on the NEVER TRY AGAIN list.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
m.april - Yep -My understanding is (having done a fair bit of swotting!LOL) that ephilides, as opposed to lentigines (age spots), are freckles that appear in the same way as 'normal' skin tans. So like a tan they fade out. However true Ephilids appear with ANY sunexposure however mild so are very hard to avoid - they are the same type of freckles that children get. Like you I have had them since I can remember and if I went out in the sun sans SPF I am sure they would join up! Laughing
The good news is that they can recede with age - bad news is without SPF they will probably get replaced with age spots so your sister may wish she had used sunscreen later on.
Interestingly all ethnic groups can get freckles/ephilids although they are more common in pale and pasty folk, especially redheads. (I think, if I remeber correctly, its a problem with the way the melanocytes function).

By the way am also using my Organic PHarmacy Rose Facial Gel Cleanser after my Dr H in this hot weather. Razz

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Lucia, as a quick aside, not wanting to hijack this topic, do you find the Organic Pharmacy cleanser to be worth the money? It's real expensive, but I have been eyeing up the peppermint one as I have more combo skin and I though it might be nice and cooling in this weather!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:04 am      Reply with quote
just an FYI for those struggling to get their sunscreen off. i've been using Bioderma's Crealine H20 for the past week and it's marvelous! you use it kind of like a toner, wiping everything off with cotton balls until they come clean. *then* i wash my face with a cleanser after. i was using an oil before to get my SS off, but the Bioderma seems to be much gentler and thorough. it's also helped my SS oiliness and breakouts. i'm using the one for sensitive skins, normal to dry (rather than oily -- i was scared that would be too harsh), sans parfum. it's really nice and i just feel so much cleaner now.... who knew???

i also imagine that this would be great to use *after* DHCC to remove the film and, though it says no rinse, i'd still rinse it off. i hate leaving anything on my skin that i don't want to be there and that includes toners and/or the film from cleansing oils/creams. my face has been much clearer for it.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:38 am      Reply with quote
fifi - I treated myself to this with some birthday money and I love it. It is SO expensive but is lovely and refreshing the scent is very mild but more importantly it leaves my skin clean but not stripped,and feeling fresh.Its not caused any breakouts or oilyness (which some gel cleansers have) and doesn't leave my skin with that 'just used soap' feel on my skin that other SLS free facial washes have.

Although it is pricey you only need a tiny bit (it doesn't foam much by the way). I mix it with a little water in my palm then apply.

So yes I think its worth it. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:13 am      Reply with quote
I always got freckles when I am out, I think they are not easy to remove if u got it..
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Sounds lovely Lucia, I think I might just deserve a treat Very Happy !
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
just an FYI for those struggling to get their sunscreen off. i've been using Bioderma's Crealine H20 for the past week and it's marvelous! you use it kind of like a toner, wiping everything off with cotton balls until they come clean. *then* i wash my face with a cleanser after. i was using an oil before to get my SS off, but the Bioderma seems to be much gentler and thorough. it's also helped my SS oiliness and breakouts. i'm using the one for sensitive skins, normal to dry (rather than oily -- i was scared that would be too harsh), sans parfum. it's really nice and i just feel so much cleaner now.... who knew???

i also imagine that this would be great to use *after* DHCC to remove the film and, though it says no rinse, i'd still rinse it off. i hate leaving anything on my skin that i don't want to be there and that includes toners and/or the film from cleansing oils/creams. my face has been much clearer for it.

la vie en rose I love the Bioderma Crealine!! I use a cleansing oil right now to remove sunscreen, etc. but you are right the Bioderma does a great job of removing even stubborn makeup. I have oily skin but also use the sensitive/normal to dry version. Lately I have been using it after I cleanse my face. I don't feel like I have any cleanser residue but I live in an area with very hard water and like to use the Bioderma to remove any mineral deposits. This has also never irritated my very sensitive skin. Very nice product!! I imagine it is a lot cheaper in France than in the US, but I buy it anyway.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Lately I have been using it after I cleanse my face. I don't feel like I have any cleanser residue but I live in an area with very hard water and like to use the Bioderma to remove any mineral deposits. This has also never irritated my very sensitive skin. Very nice product!!

if it doesn't irritate you, that's saying something! Wink the water here is obnoxiously hard and i was spritzing my face with Avene thermal water after i wash to try to counteract this. on your recommendation, however, i will try it to remove the mineral deposits. cool! thanks for the tip!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
OK, come on where is this Bioderma Creoline H20? - it's driving me crazy.

I'm looking on the sites, but there are so many Bioderma cleansing products and none of them seem to be this one. I was hoping I could bag some with my SS order from Tubotica but despite the wide range they don't seem to have it. Has it changed it's name? Is it hiding from me?

I never feel like I remove all of my SS despite the double washing.
Emma_Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
On the topic of freckles and changing skin colour: I just read an article in the July Issue of the US edition of Elle, which talked about aging. It said that pigmentary changes are now considered to be the earliest signs of aging, and that a study was done on how skin tone affects other people's perception of our age. They took people's photos and then superimposed just their pigmentation (not wrinkles or lines) on the face of a model (using the same model all the time). They said that skin tone can impact how old you appear by up to 20 years. Anyhow, I found it interesting (and applied more sun protection).
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:44 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:

I'm looking on the sites, but there are so many Bioderma cleansing products and none of them seem to be this one. I was hoping I could bag some with my SS order from Tubotica but despite the wide range they don't seem to have it. Has it changed it's name? Is it hiding from me?

Molly -- i *think* it is called Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution at Tubotica. it *seems* like the same thing, but i can't be 100% since i can't find the ingredients. maybe they call it differently for export? ah. yes, found this on the web:http://delivereddeals.com/BioSensitive.asp. it seems Sensibio/Crealine is the same -- just different packaging. HTH

BTW, it's been wonderful for my neck and decollage area at getting off gunk (SS and pollution) when i don't feel like showering at night. i've been having problems in this area and blamed it on an allergy to my white gold necklace (i can only wear platinum earrings), but using the Bioderma has calmed it down alot. the cotton ball is sufficiently gross after wiping so i think i've just had a build up of pollution stuck in the sunscreen. yuck!
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:07 am      Reply with quote
Emma_Jane - Interesting - that means I was showing the early signs of ageing at .....about 2yrs old ROFL! Us redheads develop freckles when we are little people!

Ahh I love the media!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Lucia, Me too a redhead I mean. Every picture of me as a kid has the freckle patch from cheek to cheek, luckily I wasn't prone to getting them all over my face. They have faded alot as I've gotten older and wiser about the sun and SS. I guess the ones that are left are the age spot types.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
Molly wrote:

Molly -- i *think* it is called Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution at Tubotica. it *seems* like the same thing, but i can't be 100% since i can't find the ingredients. maybe they call it differently for export? ah. yes, found this on the web:http://delivereddeals.com/BioSensitive.asp. it seems Sensibio/Crealine is the same -- just different packaging. HTH

la vie en rose-I think you are right about the Sensibo being the same as the Crealine. If you go to the Bioderma website and view in French it is the Crealine but if you view in English it is the Sensibo. I get mine in the US at www.beautyhabit.com and it is called Crealine. I know of no other place in the US that sells it.

Molly-I know that Beautyhabit ships internationally but it would probably be very expensive to buy it from them. $24 USD plus shipping! I think $24 with free shipping is a lot to pay but I do like the product enough to pay that!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Don't panic. I have to ship in some sunscreen anyway rather urgently (see reviews). But it is expensive so I'll probably change my mind a few times before I decide and then I'll probably scrap it. It was just the moment you know. Smile But thanks for looking it up both of you.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |