Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Witch Hazel Toner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking for one to dilute my scrubs/clay masks. I was tempted to make my own but after searching through several online sites and ebay I realized the cost of making my own is quite similar or even more expensive than going out to buy a toner w/witch hazel in it. Even witch hazel hydrosol is expensive considering the amount you get. I noticed Neal's Yard has a witch hazel toner which seems to me exactly the same as a hydrosol and costs about the same as well (considering I'm in Canada and I shipping is more expensive). I would've bought that but it has alcohol in it and I don't have access to Neal's Yard over here (even the Canadian site doesn't have this product listed on it yet).

I'm looking for something paraben and alcohol free. Please help!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
If you're looking for pure witch hazel you can get it from an Aromatherapy supplier. You should trywww.acqua-vita.com. They are located in Toronto and have exceptional essential oils and hydrosols. In fact the owner, Suzanne Catty, published a book strictly on hydrosols and their benefits. Give them a call and I'm sure they can help you out.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
can you not go into your pharmacy and buy some witch hazel water? It should be really cheap.
jellyberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Vancouver and I've been to several pharmacies...they only cary Witch Hazel with alcohol in it. =/ does anyone know where I can get pure witch hazel in vancouver?
roadbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have looked all over Vancouver too when I made the DIY Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream. Ended up with an alcohol Witch Hazel instead. It's not so bad. Not overly drying like I expected but my skin is normally oily.

Local drugstores don't carry it, nor does a compounding store with bulk ingredients like Kripps Pharmacy. Escents Aromatherapy did not carry it as well. I'll check out the website wildflower kindly posted later. Right now the website is experiencing difficulties.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there,

Thayer's witch Hazel is alcohol free and has aloe and lavender in it. I usually find it in health food stores. Maybe Capers in Kitsalano? I think there's another very good health food store on Commercial drive?

Good Luck!
prs
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies. I don't know what's worse parabens or alcohol, if I can't find any I guess I'll stick with my Clarins toner (which has witch hazel, aloe, and iris) but they use parabens as preservatives. From waht I remember it was only 20 something CDN for 200mL - I found witch hazel on ebay for 6.75USD for 2oz (60mL) including shipping.

I guess I'll also start rummaging health food stores now and see what I find - generally from what I remember even EOs are expensive (that's y I don't do DIY stuff, I realize to buy all the necessary ingredients it'll usually cost more than the commercial product itself). I'll update if I see any thing in Vancouver - I live in Richmond and I don't see myself running throughout the whole of Vancouver just for witch hazel considering gas prices these days.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
If you are from Asia, you can have this type of toner from the brand Melilea, it is about $26.7. I like it so much and it didnt cause any redness though i have sensitive skin. It is alcohol-free. After I started using it, my red marks are fading a bit, but, I am still investigating to ensure whether this toner helps in fading away the red marks, will keep you updated ya!
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I live in Vancouver too. you can find Thayer's in Choice Market. I've tried Rose and Lavender ones, and am looking to try the Lemon one for the summer.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am no expert, I just know I was using the Thayer's Witch Hazel with my asprin mask and to also dilute my face masks, I did not realize it was the culprit of my black heads. I just noticed after using it for a month or so, I started having clogged pores, or what apeared to just be clogged, until I tried to extract them and I got black head material out of them. (sorry gross, I know). I can only assoicate it with the witch hazel. I think it was just to drying for my skin, causing it to clog up and get dead skin cells attached to my skin. Once I stopped using it, I stopped getting them. Still using masks and asprin mask.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:16 am      Reply with quote
hopemelody wrote:
I live in Vancouver too. you can find Thayer's in Choice Market. I've tried Rose and Lavender ones, and am looking to try the Lemon one for the summer.

What are the differences between them? Does the Thayer's one have alcohol? I was considering this too.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
You can go to the Thayer's website and learn about the differnt witch hazel toners they have, with or without alcohol

The argument for toner is alcohol goes like this: alcohol penetrates the dermis so whatever you put on after you tone supposedly gets into your skin more effectively. Those who put greater weight on the drying aspect of alcohol feel that this factor outweighs alcohol's efficacy as a service delivery mechanism. Those who have sturdier skins are less affected.

My sense is that if you have sensitive skin or skin with breakouts, etc. then perhaps it's best not to use a product that could dry you out as surface dryness might compound everything.

I love the non-alcohol ones as they make my skin smooth, supple and moist.

Good luck Exclamation
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
In Canada, it seems you can only get witch hazel from natural food stores. I like Acqua Vita as well! It's in Toronto and you can get it shipped. It's more expensive, but very nice stuff
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |