Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Once You Go Mineral, Can You Ever Go Back?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
So I've been using the Amazing Cosmetics Mineral foundation which I do like. But I noticed that with my new sunscreen (PSF SPF30) my face was looking more shiny, so I thought maybe another foundation would help cut the shine. I purchased the Revlon Colorstay Active foundation.

Today was my first day wearing it, and although it cut back on my shine (although I was also wearing MAC Blot powder over top), it felt so gross on my skin! I could take my finger nail and scrap off liquid foundation!!!

I'm not sure now that I've gotten used to mineral foundation, if I can go back to using liquid. It just feels like it sits there on you face, whereas the mineral seems to sink in.

Does anyone else feel this way?

BTW ... incase anyone wants reviews. The Colorstay Active was a nice foundation and a nice finish (I just don't know if I like liquid any longer), and it did seem to last throughout the day. I'd also purchased the Colorstay Blemish Concealer which I really liked (the shade I chose was Light which had a little yellow to it, so it is perfect for covering redish blemishes). I'd had the old Colorstay concealer, but now it looks like they have one for blemishes and one for the undereye area. I also tried their Colorstay Under Eye concealer (Fair). This wasn't bad ... but it still creased a bit, so I think I might stick with Amazing Concealer under my eyes since it offers better coverage.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
I can, I must be the only person on this planet that thinks some look older using mineral makeup on the face. Now that said I just use a tinted moisturizer instead of foundation, I've never liked foundation liquid or powder Sad wish I did.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
MelissaMarie, I am so with you. I have tried a few different mmu, really wanting to like them and have them do their magic, but, on my gorgeous yet mature skin, it is just a no-go. I have even found I must now wear cream blush in order for it to look natural, as powders just sit on my skin.
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
i agree with liquid makeup feeling yucky on the skin now after using mineral makeup. it feels so much heavier.. i really dont like it. i dont think ill ever go back to liquid.. well maybe tinted moisturizer on those drier seasons but we'll see
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I started using MMU about a year ago (after the raves here on EDS Very Happy ), and I could never go back to liquid foundation again - just the idea of it sitting on my skin makes me feel yukky (especially in this warm weather).
I've got mature skin and its never looked better since using MMU (+ a few other EDS discoveries)!
At a certain age 'less is more' and I get the "natural look" - something I could never accomplish with regular makeup.

Anya
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy I am so with you cedear!!!! And I am not wrinkled (ok a few but nothing to worry about just yet), just in 40's and truely have pretty good skin and I am becoming a huge cream convert!!!!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
It's true, some liquid foundations do feel gross on the skin. I've tried a bunch and I always felt caked and greasy and icky. But then I found Dr Hauschka's Translucent foundation and fell in love. It's light and blends in well with my natural colour and acts as a sunscreen and helps improve my skin while wearing it. I still use a loose powder over top sometimes as well. I haven't tried MMU powders so I can't really compare but I do like what I've found as it works great for me. I have just purchased some Jane Iredale mineral eyeshadow and a lipliner though and I must say they are both fantastic products.
cedar
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
anya, that is fabulous. Maybe one day I will be able to say the same. But, for now, I love how it all works for me. And, with great skincare, I can go without makeup many days, if I choose. MelissaMarie, I have fallen so in love with mac blushcreme.
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I don't really mind going back to liquid/cream foundation once in a while. It could be my lacking of skills using MMU, but regular foundations do give me nicer look. I'd have no problem using regular makeup on days I need to be on my best look.

Another reason is that I realize almost every type of MMU also contains BO and mica -- both could irritate skin. I am a believer of "an irritant is an irritant, whether you feel it or not". So to me, MMU is just something a bit healthier than regular ones, and I prefer to use none if possible.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't been able to use liquid foundation successfully for the past couple of years, really seems to accentuate fine lines (usually use it as a concealer these days). I tried BE MMU & didn't like the sheen, plus it also seemed to settle in the fine lines. I've had more luck with tinted moisturizer lately. A couple of weeks ago I tried Physican's Formula MMU & that looked better than the BE. I just got the Amazing cosmetics MMU & setting powder yesterday, it matches my skin tone perfectly & doesn't settle in my fine lines! Mind you, the weather is very humid right now, so that may be a big factor.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Like MelissaMarie, I've gone off my MMU in this hot weather and have been wearing Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturiser. As long as it's something that feels light on my face and doesn't look heavy, then that's okay for me.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:30 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Aromaleigh minerals for quite a few years now and there's no way I could go back to a liquid, or even a creme foundation!! I can't stand the feeling of something sitting on my skin (I have a hard time with sunscreen for this reason). I've found the perfect shade and color match for my skin, which I never got with other foundations. People actually think that I don't wear make-up, which is exactly what I'm going for. And it's pretty fool proof, much easier for me as I'm a tad bit make-up challenged! And I love that if I happen to fall asleep in it (if I am sleeping out), I don't have to worry about breakouts the next day. Whee! I am SO happy I found this stuff and stuck with the whole color/shade trial process! Very Happy
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
I've been using MMU since last fall ... and I could never go back to liquid foundation. After all, one of the reasons I wanted to try MMU in the first place was because liquid foundation made my skin worse ... Laughing

I have tried several different MMU brands ... really like Pure Luxe ... and Physician's Formula ... and since I'm 55 I can attest that I don't look older when wearing it.

I'm fortunate that I have very few wrinkles for my age ... so that could be a factor Laughing ...

I think if MMU looks "masky" or makes one look older ... it's because it's either the wrong colour of MMU ... or the wrong brand ... or perhaps a bit of both.

My MMU stays put all day ... even during high humidity it stays pretty well ... and it protects my skin from all the gunk that's in the air. This is particularly important when I have to go to Toronto ... where there is so much junk in the air that it's amazing that they are even worried about second hand smoke! Laughing

But just the idea of going back to liquid makeup, with all its nasty ingredients makes me shudder! Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Although I love MMU and use Jane Iredale Loose in Radiant, I find that on very sunny days when I know I will be outside a lot I will reach for a liquid instead. Why? I never feel 100% confident of the MMU abilities with regard to sunscreen. I feel you need to put a lot on to reach the stated SPF and I'm never truly confident that I have reached every spot on my face with loose powder as well as I can with a liquid. I use a SPF moisturizer underneath no matter what foundation I use, but if it's going to be an outdoors a lot/sunny day for me I will use a liquid instead.

Otherwise I prefer MMU and use it almost exclusively in the winter months.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, I too have been using MMU for the pasr few months and I love it, prior to that my use of liquid or stick or cream foundation was hit or miss, I just didn't like the way my face felt. I too have mature skin, I'm 52 and MMU gives me a more natural look and doesn't make me look older at all. It's a matter of the right shade, brand and application-just like with all makeup.. Now I work the night shift so I don't have to worry about the humidity or sunscreen as much as some, so that's a big advantage. Janet.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I agree, I think it's a matter of finding the right product and the right colour. I'd tried Pur Minerals in the past and didn't like the way it looked on my skin, even though my sister loved it! It just seemed to accentuate every flaw on my face. Then a long while after that I tried the Physician's Formula Mineral foundation, and although I loved the finish of that one my skin, it made me break out in a rash!

Well, I guess the third time is the charm because the Amazing Cosmetics mineral foundation has worked really well for me. Nice finish and no rashes! The only thing is I still do need to use some liquid under my eyes to cover my very dark circles ... the mineral foundation doesn't give me enough coverage there.

There is such a difference for me though now that I've found a mineral foundation I like. Compared to yesterday when I could scrap off the liquid foundation with my fingernail, today I can try the same thing and there's nothing! It feels like my skin can breath. And I'd become worried about breakouts as well ... with the PSF I've been using and the mineral foundation, I think it's really cut back on the congested pores on my face. I used to have alot more little bumps under my skin that never really developed into actual blemishes. And although they are still there, there does seem to be less of them. I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if maybe the mineral foundation is helping combat those little bumps.
tisa
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr have you tried mixing your mmu with the sunscreen instead of applying the powder on top?

This will help you create a tinted sunscreen - it may take some experimenting to get the amount of mmu ratio to sunscreen right but may be a great solution. You can always use a mattifying finishing powder dusted on top.

I mix my mmu with an aloe vera gel and this keeps the oilies at bay as well as giving me a finish that is better than that of regular liquid or stick foundation.

I was looking at an old foundation ingredient list and realized that the only difference between it and mmu is that the minerals are mixed into what ever liquid/creme/gel base the company uses Rolling Eyes - so basically given your favorite "base" creme (moisturizer or sunscreen, etc) you can literally mix your own liquid/creme foundation Very Happy HTH
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
tisa wrote:
Moonstarr have you tried mixing your mmu with the sunscreen instead of applying the powder on top?

This will help you create a tinted sunscreen - it may take some experimenting to get the amount of mmu ratio to sunscreen right but may be a great solution. You can always use a mattifying finishing powder dusted on top.

I never thought of that! That's a cool idea ... I think I'll try that tomorrow and see how it works (I don't have to go to work, so if I don't get it right I have time to do it over Smile ).
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Cool idea, I'm going to give it a try too! Thanks!!
jillian831
5% products discount

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
But then I found Dr Hauschka's Translucent foundation and fell in love. It's light and blends in well with my natural colour and acts as a sunscreen and helps improve my skin while wearing it.

I really want to try this but with it only have three shades I'm afraid I won't be able to find one to match.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
i think skin tends to look better with liquid. it just seems more flawless. for big events, i don't think i'd use my MMU.

for everyday, i think MMU is better since it's supposed to be healthier for the skin and offers the extra sun protection which is always nice.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I use both, but in the summer time I prefer MMU because all other MU's fall after 15 min off my face Embarassed
In winter I prefer my foundations especially BECCA. Smile
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have no luck with loose/pressed MMU because of color or Bismuth. I have found that Dr H foundation is great. Light coverage can be layered if needed and also Youngblood liquid is very light but with good coverage without looking like you have makeup on. Since the posion ivy outbreak I have not worn makeup for approx 1 month and to tell the truth my skin has never looked better. Its also so hot and humid here nothing would stay
Natz87
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have used mineral make up for over a year now and cant even imagine using liquid again. it just feels so heavy on my skin and clogs my pores , i love the natural look i get with minerals and the colour blends perfectly, not like the weird orangy tint ide get from liquids.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Hiya, I don't think I could ever go back to regular foundation. I love mmu foundation, I have mature skin, I'm 52 with some fine lines and I don't think I look older with mmu. Now I have tried mmu foundation in a cream, and not sure I like it yet. Some co also make a liq. mmu foundation or you can mix the mmu powder with moisturizer and make your own, I haven't tried either yet. I can see where some faces don't like mmu but I also think sometimes you haven't found the right one.IMO
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |