Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
water consumption
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
i try to drink water in place of other options for liquids when i am thirsty or when i am having a meal...ive been trying to lose weight and it's been brought to my attention that with the fiber i've been taking, which i cannot mix with water because i nearly vomit (very horrid taste), I have not been taking in enough water. In general I have about 3-4 bottles a day, which i know many would say that is not nearly enough, but the thought of drinking ANY liquid in large amounts seems like I wouldn't be hungry for even food because i'd be so full. Do the rest of you just forcefully drink water to get the amount you need a day? What is the right amount? I'm thinking of ditching this fiber stuff and just leaving room for more water...i mix it with fiber rich OJ and drinking a bunch of water would not be too pleasant.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there

I'm new to this forum but read your post with interest as there are a couple of things that jump out at me. Presumably, since you are posting on the EDS forum, you are particularly interested in skincare. Water is without a shadow of a doubt the best skincare on the planet. Its all very well that we're all prepared to pay a fortune to attain 'perfect' skin, but water is cheap, plentiful (in most countries)and the best moisturiser, hydrator and skin plumping 'fluid' you can get your hands on! Secondly, if you are trying to lose weight I don't really understand why you are filling your self up with a manufactured (unless I am misunderstanding) fibre. There are tons of fruit and vegetables freely available which contain ample supplies of fibre, which would also contribute to good skin (antioxidants etc), and won't give you that horrible bloated feeling or make you feel sick! That sounds very yucky to me!!! I know that an awful lot of women feel they suffer with constipation or a bloated feeling a lot of the time and really, eating a healthy diet with lots of different fruit and vegetables and plenty of water is all it takes to fix that!! Thirdly, if water makes you feel bloated, and you are trying to lose weight, would it not make sense to drink lots of water throughout the day thus curbing your appetite and assisting with weight loss whilst doing your skin the world of good at the same time?

I buy around 20 or more 2 litre bottles of mineral water a week and always have a few in the fridge. I always drink 3 litres a day, regardless of what I'm doing or where I am. I haven't done this all my life but certainly for the last year. It sounds a lot but you quickly get used to it. I'm 40 years old and I've never felt or looked better.

In my humble opinion, ditch the fiber and concentrate on eating natural foods that are good for your body and your skin, and drink plenty of water.

As an aside, I get asked all the time which skincare products I use (no one ever believes I'm 40) and the best recommendation I could have for anyone is start with water!

I do hope that helps!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have to agree with tracylondon Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I agree about the fruits and vegetables. Oatmeal is high in fiber too.

I hate the bloating though. I get bloated just from eating too much fruit with all the water and fiber in them. It's uncomfortable, my stomach gets kind of hard and bloated AND I still AM hungry! I just am hungry and can't eat because of the stomach thing. I don't know how people drink that much water. I have such a small stomach and a small bladder. I would be rushing to the bathroom every 5 min. In fact everytime I have tried to increase my water intake it has made me go every 5-10 min. That torture was not worth it. How do you all put up with that? I drink about 1 liter a day now, some in the form of teas.
tracylondon

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Drinking so much water to start with makes you go to the loo frequently but water is not a diuretic and this does not last, whereas tea coffee etc is a diuretic. I know it sounds a lot but you really get used to it quickly. I get very thirsty now if I don't always have a bottle of water on the go. As far as fruit and vegetable are concerned, I'm not suggesting they are the only thing you eat but just make sure that they are part of your diet. I don't stop eating all day long, literally, but I avoid processed foods and fast foods and try to eat natural produce and plenty of fish. I also have a chocolate binge from time to time but eat Green & Blacks or choclate with a high cocoa content (much healthier). I am 40 (as I said already) with 5 children, good skin and hair and weigh 105 lbs (5'4"). I just think that the saying 'you are what you eat' is very true. Just trying to help and share my experience. When I was younger I used to sunbathe all the time (no sunblock) drink too much alcohol, eat junk food and smoke like crazy! Everything I've done to change those bad habits has only been over the last couple of years and its literally turned the clock back for me!
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that water is definitely the best thing you can do for your skin. If you drink enough water (8 -10 glasses a day)your body can expel toxins better.
As for the bloating feeling, watch your salt intake. Salt will make your body retain water. Check the labels on everything, you would be suprised how much salt is in your food.
I agree that getting your fiber through fruits and vegetables is the best way to go. They are low in calories and have tons of vitamins and antioxidants.
Also eat plenty of whole grain foods. Avoid white breads and pastas. Look for products that list whole grains as the first ingredient.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have read that the amount of water a person needs on a daily basis (and I'm pretty sure I've shared this here before) is:

your weight in lbs/2 and covert that # to ounces

So if you weighed 100 lbs, you would need to drink 50 oz's of water daily. However, this is only meant for routine daily use, not when you are planning to excercise heavily. The body obviously needs much more on those days. I've also read several articles that state that it's not good for the body to consume too much water as it can be damaging to your cells. Now, I think they were referring to extreme amounts, but still it's something to consider. They say it's best to go by what you're body tells you...if you are thirsty, drink water! Of course even if I'm not always thirsty I still always drink the minimum amount of water that is suggested daily (using the above calculation). I started looking into this because I am also small (102 lbs) and felt that 8, 8oz glasses of water (what you typically see is recommended for everyone, even though everyone is different!) was a bit much for my little body to handle.
tracylondon

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 - I've never heard of that! That would mean I'm drinking twice as much as I should!!! I actually get thirsty now if I don't drink that much!! Well I can only speak from my own experience but I have definitely only had really positive health and skin reactions to consuming so much water. Particularly around the eyes and the one place that gives away your age regardless of what your face looks like - the back of your hands! It definitely plumps yours skin.
Emma_Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
A few things:
If you are dehydrated, water will go through you faster.
This may be too much info, and most of you probably already realize this, but the colour of your urine is one indication of how well hydrated you are (that is why it is darker in the morning, you have not consumed fluids in your sleep). That might help some of you to judge whether or not you are sufficiently hydrated.
Increasing your intake of fruits and veg can lead to some digestive issues at the beginning (gas, etc). This should, however subside over time. Bloating may be a sign of a food allergy or sensitivity, oats, wheat, citrus, and corn are all reasonably common allergens. As are beans and nuts. It is possible that bloating could be tied to an allergy to one of these.
lifeisbeautiful
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Tracylondon, Welcome to the Forum!! Laughing Totally agree with you on the importance of water intake. I feel the difference to my dehydrated skin if I am drinking enough water. I just need to make sure I limit water intake near my period for that is the time I get easily bloated. AND FIVE CHILDREN AT 40 !! What an accomplishment (and undertaking - brave lady!!)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions...I think the main reason i the additional fiber supplements is because they lack all the sugars that the fruits have. I still eat fruits, but im more prone to chowing on vegetables personally (if you have them around I eat nonstop). I am also a believer in moderation in all things...too much water can be bad in my opinion. I am aware I most likely don't drink enough water...i should be having about 4-5 bottles which would be about 2 1/2 liters...but yeah, my bladder is very small and the water comes out like crazy. I've read many studies that claim most of the water we drink everyday does not even absorb for the most part. Part of it does, but the other part flushes our in our urine. They were talking of celebrities purchasing a "special" water because the molecules were smaller and had better absorbtion abilities than the traditional bottled/tap water. aeiiiigh..

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
tracylondon wrote:
Drinking so much water to start with makes you go to the loo frequently but water is not a diuretic and this does not last

That's good to know. I've heard that before but I always had a hard time believing it enough to get over that painful period of adjustment. Actually I heard water is the best natural diuretic. That's why they say that drinking more water gets rid of water retention. It only makes me bloated when I drink a lot of it with food, but on it's own it's fine. I don't think it's allergies, just bulk. Also the body is always balancing it's fluid and electrolytes and passes a lot of what we put in it. I think I'm going to ease into it slower rather then all at once. It does get expensive because I like bottled water (Fiji) and it's almost $2 per 1.5 liters. But worth it I guess. If I let myself get too dehydrated which is easy in this heat, my throat gets very dry and I get tired, almost drugged feeling and very sleepy.

Quote:
As far as fruit and vegetable are concerned, I'm not suggesting they are the only thing you eat but just make sure that they are part of your diet. I don't stop eating all day long, literally

They pretty much are all I eat. Well that and my oatmeal * spam alert *. I graze all day too, but don't eat a lot of junk.

Quote:
I am 40 (as I said already) with 5 children, good skin and hair and weigh 105 lbs (5'4"). I just think that the saying 'you are what you eat' is very true.

Wow! That's great! I totally agree.

Has anyone read the watercure as well? Apparently water helps a lot more then just the skin. And it's a natural antihistamine so helps with pain etc. I know too much water is not good, not good for the kidneys and depletes electrolytes if not replenished. But too little is not good either. Finding the right balance for yourself is important. I know I'm not drinking enough, but I don't know yet how much is enough for me.

http://www.watercure.com/wow/wonders_of_water.html
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I agree with Tamgirl - you can drink too much water. I adjusted after reading that on EDS last year and investigating. I used to feel quite dizzy in the summer. I must've been overdoing it.

As far as the bloating and gasiness goes. I developed a bit of a problem with that after 18 months or so in a strange continent, but I solved it by doing two things (along with lots of water, which I'd always done) I started taking pro-biotic tablets and re-ordering, when possible, what I was eating in the order that they digest. It really works. Fruit first, then veg, then protein, finally carbs.

I was living in a strange city and I really couldn't refuse to eat anything or be finicky in public, but I'd just try and re-order as I ate, anyway you have more control at home.

This is all from that TV series "You are What you Eat" Can't remember her name. Don't generally take too much of an interest in diet, because I've always been thin.

Molly Cool
tracylondon

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:48 am      Reply with quote
Hello all

I started very young with my children - my eldest is 20, then 18, 16 (all girls), 15 (boy) and 13 (girl)!!! They're more like friends now - I guess I have a very young attitude! Downside - my eldest daughters are ALWAYS stealing my clothes!!!

Back to the water! I did some research on the net last night having read some of your comments. Its all very difficult and confusing because the general opinion changes as often as fashion! The agreed rule of thumb however is that you definitely need at least 8 glasses of water or roughly 1.5 - 2 litres of water per day for your body to function at its best, remove toxins and to replace lost fluids due not only to urination etc but also from even breathing. There are a few cases of people dying from drinking too much water but this has notably been where a person has drunk far too much water in one go, this is where it floods the cells and they can actually burst causing coma. For example someone taking drugs, prescribed or otherwise, that intensely increase thirst and athletes. This is obviously very extreme (sorry if I'm taking this subject a bit too far but I get very interested!!!) and unlikely to be the case for all of us just trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and look after our skin! Fruit and vegetables also contain a lot of water and yes, they contain sugar, but its a naturally occurring sugar and not the 'processed/manufactured' type that people add to their tea, cooking, cakes etc. but far more importantly its what else fruit contains such as antioxidants, some of which are claimed to prevent cancers, and vitamins. I'm also thin and don't need to watch my weight at all (which I'm quite proud of at 40 with 5 kids) but I DO believe that eating the correct foods (natural rather than processed) and drinking 'enough' (whatever 'enough' is) water, you can eat as much as you want without EVER having to worry about your weigh plus it has the best effect on your skin as an added bonus. If you could 'bottle' the effect of a good diet and plenty of water and put it in a pill or a jar, you'd make a fortune!!!!
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Purpleturtle, I too do not drink enough water! I consume probably 3 full bottles a day, plus tea and other random sips throughout the day. I just recently got on some medication, though, that seems to make me intensely thirsty (and willl also make me feel weird if I don't take it with a full serving of water), and I've also been having some stomach (digestive) problems that seem to be eased if I drink more water during dinner.

Just remember you don't have to drink it all at once, therefore you won't have to pee all the time.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
I have read that the amount of water a person needs on a daily basis (and I'm pretty sure I've shared this here before) is:

your weight in lbs/2 and covert that # to ounces

So if you weighed 100 lbs, you would need to drink 50 oz's of water daily. However, this is only meant for routine daily use, not when you are planning to excercise heavily. The body obviously needs much more on those days. I've also read several articles that state that it's not good for the body to consume too much water as it can be damaging to your cells. Now, I think they were referring to extreme amounts, but still it's something to consider. They say it's best to go by what you're body tells you...if you are thirsty, drink water! Of course even if I'm not always thirsty I still always drink the minimum amount of water that is suggested daily (using the above calculation). I started looking into this because I am also small (102 lbs) and felt that 8, 8oz glasses of water (what you typically see is recommended for everyone, even though everyone is different!) was a bit much for my little body to handle.

So if i weight 500 lbs I would need 250 oz a day? Poor obese people..hehe.

The more i debate this in my mind the more I come to terms with while a rational amount of water is essential for all of us, to calculate in specific amounts what we all need does not seem right. Just like the amounts of vitamins all of us need...we don't all lack iron or potassium..ect, so is it possible all of our bodies have different absorbtion qualities and some get hydrated easier from water than others? I would have to say yes...while I haven't found an article (the more i read the less i want to read studies anyways), i think it seems logical. But my body definitely is saying to take in more water, so that I will do.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I drink about 6-8 glasses of water per day. It seemed to go through me faster when I first started drinking more, but now that my body is used to it, I don't have to run to the bathroom nearly as much. It could be that your body just needs to adjust to increased water consumption. I just always have a glass or bottle of water with me at most times. I don't guzzle the water but sip at it occasionally and manage to get it all in by the end of the day. I don't drink it with meals, however, because the naturopath doctor I went to said that the water interferes with digestion by diluting the stomach acids. I don't know if that is true, but it might be something to consider. She did say that drinks that are "food" (ie. tea, juice, etc.) are okay to drink while eating.

Hth.
Tina
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I drink one gallon of water a day.. have been doing it for a couple months now. My body has adjusted to it and I've never felt better... However according to the formula I need way less than half that? I don't know.. that doesn't seem like enough. I can probably get away with drinking less than a gallon but I get real thirsty... I really think you get used to drinking alot of water because its not hard at all for me to drink that much during the day... it was at first but now I don't even notice it...

And I agree don't drink it with meals or right before meals.. interferes with stomach digestion..

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
The calculation I gave was supposed to be used as a guideline, not a strict rule. That's supposed to be the minimum one should drink on a daily basis. That's why I just make sure I drink at least that much per day, even though I shoot for more. I agree that you should always drink more if you're body sends a thirst signal. I was just warning that I've also read that too much water is not good for you, although I never saw any calculations on knowing how much not to drink.

I also agree with Purpleturtle in that everyone is different and probably uses water differently, especially depending on their level of activity. As far as the weight scenario, I'm sure if someone 500 lbs drank 250 oz of water on a daily basis they probably wouldn't be 500 lbs. Surely that would keep their digestive system flushed out and functioning optimally. But then again I'm not a doctor so who really knows. All I would recommend is to listen to your body when it comes to how much water you take in.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Any of you who started drinking these huge amounts of water per day, besides for your skin and all, what other changes did you notice from it? Any other symptoms go away? Like headaches, UTI's, asthma, allergies, various pains, blood sugar problems or just anything else you might of had problems with before? Thanks.

Sometimes plain water is just not attractive for me to drink, so adding some flavor to it helps. Like some mint or lemon or something. I have heard that slightly acidic water is more hydrating and absorbs better, which is why lemon is good added to the water. I just worry a bit about the effects on my teeth of the lemon, but I guess it is diluted so much it shouldn't be a problem the way lemonade is a problem for teeth.

Salt is also very important. I heard the ratio is that we need to eat 1/4 tsp. salt for every 1 liter of water we drink to balance out the ratio in the body. That's very doable considering how much salt is in everything. I love course sea salt in my salads.

As far as drinking with meals, I never really understood that recommendation not to drink anything with meals. Cause there is water in the food itself. Water is water. And if we cook something with water or eat a soup with our meal, that is water too. Besides when we dry or cook food too long that takes the water out of food, it's naturally supposed to have it. So to me that tells me that water and food do go together. Water and fiber. However I think the problem is when we overdo it and drink too much water with food. Too much will certainly flood and dilute acids and create too much bulk in the stomach to process at once. Like a drain getting backed up from too much water being poured into the sink or tub at once.

I pretty much only eat fruit by itself and not passed noon. Not only does it digest bad with other foods for me but it gives me a headache if I eat it with other foods and starches/protein etc. I also have to eat everything lightly and slowly cause my body can only process a little at a time. I think that's why I prefer to graze then to eat large meals. I also say that fruit for me can be either the easiest food to digest or the hardest. If I gorge on it and eat too much the rest of the day my stomach will be bloated and in pain and not digest for hours.

I also agree that it depends on the person. Some people I know sweat like crazy. Just dripping sweat just from a mildy warm summer day, while others retain a lot more of their water and don't lose it as much. And also what we eat, if we eat a lot of water rich foods, fruits and juices etc. that all counts too.

http://216.122.230.12/media/interview.html
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
i am so bad with drinking water, i would say the most i drink a day is 3 glasses. no wonder my skin look dull and dehydrated. i should start drinking more water from now on, but i am one of those people that when i drink a glass that means i had to go to the bathroom at least 3 times, what a pain. but i guess there is no beauty without sacrifice.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:41 am      Reply with quote
yeah i counted how many times I went to the bathroom today...10 times. wowie.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yesterday I went at least 20 times. What did I have? Just like 3 cups of water and 4 oranges. Mad
Sonson
5% products discount

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I find that when I start drinking my 3ltrs a day after not drinking my water regularly for the past couple of weeks - I can't stop going to the toilet. BUT after a couple of days your body adjusts (like it always does - our bodies are such an amazing thing).

I agree with most of the girls, water is so so so important!! Water is the second most important thing our body needs (after oxygen). We can survive without food longer than without water.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |