Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

when is skin considered mature?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:24 am      Reply with quote
hmm

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:44 am      Reply with quote
anyone care to enlighten me? what is considered mature skin? is it an age thing or general condition?

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Alright I give in Laughing

I think when people say 'mature' skin, especially when they're referring to product usage, they just mean older. Maybe 35/40 years upward when the processes slow down.

When your skin just looks old people tend to say 'photodamaged' or 'aging' skin.

Why?
tisa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:21 am      Reply with quote
I was told that it was around the time you become menopausal - perhaps after would be more accurate as menopausal skin is an issue for some because of the changes you go thru.

But i think it mainly has to do with problems + age group - i.e. a lack of hydration/oil moisture, loss of elasticity, age spots.

It is perplexing Rolling Eyes hmm
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
Alright I give in Laughing

AT LAST Laughing Laughing
I think when people say 'mature' skin, especially when they're referring to product usage, they just mean older. Maybe 35/40 years upward when the processes slow down.

I've noticed healing processes slowing down, have helped it back up with PSF...

When your skin just looks old people tend to say 'photodamaged' or 'aging' skin.

Why?

Coz I'm wondering if my skin is entering / has entered "mature skin" status... and if I should be trying mature skin products...any reason to whip out my creditcard will do Bad Grin no seriously...think my skin might be sagging a bit (eye + upper cheek area) + I've developed two sun/age spots on my cheeks, about this size = Oo... Rolling Eyes

Thanx Molly Wink

Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:45 am      Reply with quote
tisa wrote:
I was told that it was around the time you become menopausal - perhaps after would be more accurate as menopausal skin is an issue for some because of the changes you go thru.

But i think it mainly has to do with problems + age group - i.e. a lack of hydration/oil moisture, loss of elasticity, age spots.

It is perplexing Rolling Eyes hmm

VERY perplexing, I agree Confused thanx for your input tisa

bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:15 am      Reply with quote
I think over 50 is considered mature.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I've noticed 'maturity' also depends on the company though. Cellcosmet says some of it's products are for 25+, which seems a little young but they obviously think the skin has different needs after that, whereas skin bio has some products for skin over 30.

But it's not just menopausal, there's peri-menopausal where processes begin to slow down.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
well I've always heard skin truely starts the aging process at 25. So once 25 you should start some serious skin care. But I agree mature is normally refered to as 40ish to 50. But by then if you havent started I would think u'd be in serious trouble.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
I think it must be a difficult decision for skincare companies to recommend products for age groups. I would certainly be considered mature and post menopausal but I do not have dry, thinning skin. My skin is still quite dense and still quite oily. Fortunately, these days, many companies now recognise that breakouts are not a teen thing and can persist or begin quite late in life so products also have to suit 'old' oily skin as well as 'young' oily skin. Some companies get it right and some get it terribly wrong.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Maybe it's a phrase the cosmetics industry came up with to sell us more stuff!

After some googling, I found this article )sorry, kinda long) :

5 Cash in on baby bloomers
The Times 24 June 2003
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-7-722984,00.html

FOR YEARS advertisers have mostly ignored consumers aged over 50. If they pay them any attention at all, they class them as slipper-wearing conservatives, interested only in hearing aids, stairlifts and orthopaedic beds.
The prevailing attitude in the advertising industry has been that older consumers are a small group, reluctant to switch brand loyalty and not receptive to innovation. So the energies of the mainly youthful advertising workforce have been focused on their peers and, as a result, 90 per cent of marketing in Britain is directed at the under-fifties.

This extreme position fails to acknowledge that the over-fifties control 80 per cent of the nation’s wealth and are responsible for 40 per cent of consumer spending — some £145 billion. Many advertisers ignore the issue and fail to see that the current generation of 50 to 65-year-olds — mould-breakers since the advent of rock’n’ roll, the Pill and female equality — are shattering preconceptions about what it means to be older.

Women in their fifties dress like women in their thirties; one in four people aged over 50 still goes to rock concerts; health club membership among the over-55s grew by 245 per cent between 1987 and 1999.
For Emma Soames, about to complete her first year as the editor of Saga magazine, it is a struggle to get advertisers to recognise that this section of society has altered. She yearns to see more adverts for cars, cosmetics and food in her million-plus-selling publication.

With her track record as a successful editor of glossy magazines, she has vowed finally to make it cool to be fiftysomething. But while Soames’s fashion pages have recently featured fabulous floor-length sheepskin coats costing £1,000, for example, one advertisement in the same issue invited readers to dress in a grey pleated skirt with a bottle-green cardigan as an accessory.

“I do think that I’m John the Baptist crying in the wilderness at times,” Soames says. “People can’t go on ignoring this huge change. Older people are just as likely to use mobile phones as younger ones; they watch lots of TV and I am amazed by how open-minded and promiscuous they are in their consumer habits; they change brands a lot. I think they are open to marketing but no one is trying to target them. After all, people in their fifties are among the few who can afford to pay £100 for a pot of face cream.”

She remains upbeat that the advertisers will eventually catch up with her: “I find it a very exciting area in which to be working, but I think change takes time.”
There are some signs that her prophecies are being heard. J. Walter Thompson, the advertising agency, produced a report entitled Fabulous Fifties, initially prompted by the release of the 2001 census which indicated the considerable shift upwards in the age of the population.

Ros King, the agency’s managing director, believes that the report struck a nerve both inside and outside her company: “Even those advertisers who don’t want to limit their communications to the over-fifties market certainly don’t want to alienate the older consumer.

“One important aspect is the attitude we have taken to talking about this subject. We deliberately focused on the positive — hitting 50 is not the end of life. So we don’t talk about the ‘grey market’, which sounds incredibly depressing. Our research is about people who have hit a benchmark in life and have many more years of opportunity in front of them. And I think our timing has been good. There is a damping down of the obsession with youth that has dominated the media in recent years.”

Giles Hedger, a board account planner and the author of the report, says: “Currently there is an oversupply of the needs and wants of younger people, an oversupply of the media that younger people are exposed to, and an oversupply of youth-oriented marketing.”

He accepts that much advertising virtually ignores the middle ground between the young mum in the nappy or household goods ad and the frail pensioner in the stairlift. (There are one or two honourable exceptions — Poli-Grip uses a fiftysomething couple to reconstruct the famous fridge food-and-sex scene from the movie 9½ Weeks. And Joanna Lumley and Jerry Hall are used to advertise Muller yoghurt and Evian mineral water respectively — both are quite a bit older than Isabella Rossellini was when she was infamously sacked by Lancôme for being too old at 40.) The JWT report focuses on the 50-to-65 age group and notes that cosmetic products advertised for “mature skin”, for example Shiseido’s Benefiance and Lancôme’s Absolue, already account for about half of skincare sales of those companies.

Hedger says: “Much of the consumer goods marketing of the past 50 years has been built on the premise that young adults come into a market and form lasting brand habits. But now the rates of young adults coming into markets are falling.”
These young adults, especially those leaving university, are already saddled with an average £15,000 of debt in the form of student loans and credit-card bills. Compare them with their parents’ generation who enjoy the highest disposable income of any demographic group. These postwar baby-boomers are, according to the JWT report, a unique group: “They are a generation that has never passed through a stage or decade without leaving some defining cultural imprint on it.

Teenage, rock’n’roll, Beatlemania, Cold War, space travel, CND, Thatcherism, new Labour — baby-boomers have some legitimate cultural claim to all of them.
“They have had to cope with the shift from vertical learning (from your elders) to horizontal learning (from your peers). They have had to recalibrate their ways of measuring intelligence, from the three Rs of their schooldays to EQ (emotional quotient) and adaptive intelligence. They have also had to learn to work more collaboratively and less hierarchically. They have coped with the digital revolution and the information age. They have weathered a decade of intense short-termism and accelerated, artificial renewal in every area of life. The over-fifties have proved more resilient and adaptable than the youth-obsessed British media give them credit for.”
The report suggests that mature consumers offer a golden opportunity for three specific types of brand: those giving enhanced levels of service and experience, those giving knowledge and information, and those which provide rationale and expertise.

In other words, they are a ready market for advertisers selling anything connected with luxury, intelligence, craftsmanship and value for money. The reports adds politely: “They are less likely to trade purely on the X factor of an exciting brand” — adspeak for “they won’t have the wool pulled over their eyes”.

Hedger says: “The 50 to 65-year olds have a sufficient sense of self to build their identity around what they do, not what they buy. Give them something great to do or something great to have, but don’t tell them who to be.”
The Fabulous Fifties, he says, like old-fashioned creative publicity. “It is what advertising does best. It is less about modern advertising conceits and more about telling a story well. Research confirms that people over 50 respond best to ads that have narrative, character, humour and unhurried pace.

“Old-fashioned creative publicity is largely what baby-boomers grew up with. The fact that they are less adept at decoding the conceits of modern advertising is not a problem. It is the best excuse we’ve ever had to return to a golden age. And if that seems a retrograde step, we need to think of it as catching up with a generation whose cultural tastes have always been ahead of their time.”

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
blissgirl, thanks very much for posting that info. I find it incredibly accurate as I belong to the group they are talking about and 'never a truer word was spoken' as far as I am concerned. Now you know why I buy L Elixir!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
"UVA shoots through the epidermis and disperses in the dermis the second layer of the skin. The dermis is called the "true skin" and stops gleefully renewing itself around the age of 28 years. Skin after this age is considered "mature skin"."[quote]

from http://911skin.com/uvbubarays.html

5% products discount

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:37 am      Reply with quote
there was an elderly lady who had great skin(in her 80's) at least, she always said that start treating your skin at age 20 like it is 40, then when you get to 40 you have great skin and, still keep treating it well with skin care products and creams but the most important thing is keeping skin clean and exfolated that is the best thing.... and wear sun block 30 or higher the sun is the worst thing for skin face/body, do faux tan and keep sun block on.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |