Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Borax in a skincare product!!!! Why???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I just got my EDS order and got a free Smith's Rosebud Salve since I ordered some Jurlique. I looked online for the ingredients and several of the places that I looked at had Borax listed as an ingredient. Why would borax be in a skin care prodcut? Google borax and you will see why I would not want to put this anywhere near my skin!
lavender39
5% products discount

Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I read the answer one time to your question and I hope that my memory is correct-I think it is used to adjust the ph of the product. I know Burt's Bees uses borax in their products also.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
That could be possible lavender39. Borax is an alkaline substance. Although I don't see whey they would need to adjust the pH of a product that is mainly petrolatum and oils. I have had bad reactions to most of the Burt's Bees products that I have tried, I wonder if Borax has anything to do with it? I still think that I will refrain from using the Rosebud Salve....
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Fr. Wikipedia:

Borax is also a food additive in some countries (it is banned in the United States), with E number E285. Its use is similar to salt, and it appears notably in French and Iranian caviar. Despite its use as an insecticide and reputation as a toxin, the LD50 toxicity of borax is about the same as that of table salt (both are around 3,000 mg/kg body mass).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting joziegrozy. Any clue why it is banned as a food additive in the US?
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:42 am      Reply with quote
I second what Lavender says. I've read it's used in soaps as a ph adjuster and it's not generally considered evil by other forums Wink
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Borax is also used in DIY skin care creams to help bind the oils, fats, and liquids to give the product a creamy consistency. It is not toxic, from what I know, and can be used safely. I have used it myself in many of my homemade creams. Don't really know why it would be used in a lip balm though unless they are using more liquids than fats and waxes in their ingredients.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies. I guess Borax is not so bad after all! Now I just need to get over my objection to putting the same stuff I put in my laundry on my skin. Laughing I don't think I will be using the Rosebud salve though since I prefer to use lip balms made with oils and waxes to those made with petrolatum.
Essentia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Bump for a question: By "borax" do you mean something more generic than 20 Mule Team Borax (in the box) that's usually found in the laundry products aisle? Or something else??

Since it's a fantastic product for those of us into natural house cleaning products I'd very tempted to try it some of my skin care products precisely because it's so effect and not toxic at reasonable levels.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I was under the impression that borax is boric acid and is very safe. It is used by many women as a pH adjuster for the ol' ladybits for those with frequent infections caused by pH issues. So if you can stuff it in your vadge, I think it's ok for your lips (that should totally be my new skincare rule -- would this be safe to use on neighbor Gina?)
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL - I would just like to add that borax could very well cause irritation when used by some people. I used a cleansing cream made with wonderful organic ingredients but had borax added to it. I used the cleanser and after several days it greatly irritated my skin.

I also tried some Burts Bees products that contain the dreaded borax and I had skin irritation from every product I used - even their hand cream.

Of course I'm not saying not to try the product. Just be aware that it can cause skin irritation in very sensitive skin types like myself.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
I was under the impression that borax is boric acid and is very safe. It is used by many women as a pH adjuster for the ol' ladybits for those with frequent infections caused by pH issues. So if you can stuff it in your vadge, I think it's ok for your lips (that should totally be my new skincare rule -- would this be safe to use on neighbor Gina?)

Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing Good Gawd, woman! Would you put some kind of warning up when you post stuff that's gonna make me shriek? It really hurts like hell when I spray Pepsi out my nose, you know!
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
waffle wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing rofl Laughing Laughing Laughing Good Gawd, woman! Would you put some kind of warning up when you post stuff that's gonna make me shriek? It really hurts like hell when I spray Pepsi out my nose, you know!

well I hope you at least learned some new names for your yumyum.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
well I hope you at least learned some new names for your yumyum.

Vajayjay! Laughing
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
OMG Waffle that is one hell of an ingredient placement. It took an hour to pick myself up off the floor and stop laughing. Next time you have a question about an ingredient Theresa, just ask Waffle. Laughing Laughing Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:54 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:
... well I hope you at least learned some new names for your yumyum.

Ok, that makes FOUR so far! Still laughing! Laughing
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 am      Reply with quote
Okay now that I have stopped laughing over waffle's post I think I can reply!

I am not so sure that Borax is Boric Acid. Boric acid would IMO be an acid and as far as I know Borax is alkaline. I believe it is used to make the pH of a product higher not lower like an acid would. I don't think that a higher pH would be good for the ol' ladybits as waffle calls them!! Laughing

Essentia-to try to answer your question. I don't know if the 20 Mule Team Borax is the exact same borax that they use in skincare. Why do you want to use borax in your skincare? As a pH adjuster or for some other reason?
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
Okay now that I have stopped laughing over waffle's post I think I can reply!

I am not so sure that Borax is Boric Acid. Boric acid would IMO be an acid and as far as I know Borax is alkaline. I believe it is used to make the pH of a product higher not lower like an acid would. I don't think that a higher pH would be good for the ol' ladybits as waffle calls them!! Laughing

Essentia-to try to answer your question. I don't know if the 20 Mule Team Borax is the exact same borax that they use in skincare. Why do you want to use borax in your skincare? As a pH adjuster or for some other reason?

just looked it up -- it is a pH of about 9.5, so it is alkaline, but its makeup does include boric acid salts. Do not put borax in your crotch; it is not the same thing as boric acid, which you do put in your crotch. It is basically a salt from boron, and is used in a ton of stuff according to wikipedia.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |