Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Anyone battling / resolved exogenous ochronosis problems
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bren1234

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi again thank you so much for taking time out to reply sorry to bother you its just that I have become so desperate I am also from uk london I was wondering if u could recomend a daily routine am/pm with the stuff you have recomended me also would u advice me to use retin-a with a daily routine cheers

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:06 am      Reply with quote
sportygirl wrote:
I also have used Elicina (2 jars), and also did not get too much out of it. It was really just a nice cream! No significant changes to my skin at all. Smile

what is Elicina ,,can u say something more on this ? iam kind of interest on it
ajinla26

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Beej,
I hope you get this and respond. I just realized I have EO. Ive been on the computer doing research on it all night and have come to your page.
I was perscribed a HQ cream of 8% with retin A and Hydroquortisone about a year ago for a flat scar/hyperpigmentaion that was and is still smoothe but very dark from a sport unjury. I used it every other day. I would get redness and my skin would continuouslly be peeling but I thought this was good because my skin was regenerating itself ( I thought) and I would call the derm office and he would day to just stop use if it got too red and then continue again. Soon i realized i was just in a cycle of this skin peeling with no real change in my darkness so i disconntinued use. Now it looks as if I have a permanent black eye. the scar itsefl was on my cheek under my under eye and now it is a permanant brown color . I have been to several Derms that just tell me to wait a few months but that was four months ago. I dont know what to do. Ive spent hundres on product
ajinla26

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
Can you lay out exactly what you did to treat?
Is the yogurt a topical thing or just eating yogurt??
I have just been using vitamen e and c topcal lotion and a strong sun screen.
I used to be a very social outdoors person. Now i avoid the sun because of my dark facial patch and have withdrawn from any social life. I am very self consious of it.
I agree the only thing that seems to be available especially in the US for now is to simply stop using anything and aid the body to restore itself. If somthing has worked for you can you please lay it out exactly what to do. I want my life back. Even if it will take me a long time to recover I would like to know im doing the right thing . No one seems to understand this issue and I cant get any help. I
ajinla26

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Also, and this is a big one for me, what is your take on sun exposure.
I have changed my entire life because of this. I go through periods where i say F-it and at least im going to enjoy the sun, which i love, but i always pay the price with my darkening EO spot. I just moved to palm springs CA to get some much needed stress relief from the city (stress caused a lot from my EO) and i realzied that now I live in the scorching desert. I always thought growing up that sun was good from my skin as I have always had beautiful skin. Now with this problem that is much diffrent than anything ive experienced im left in the dark about exactly how to treat it and what to avoid, and what to do. Please help. IF your advice works ............i will send you a bottle of wine SmileSmile Im just desperate Sad
Amina

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
hi everyone I`m also suffering with E/O and I have heard about the treatment with q-switched alexandrite laser.I wanted to know if someone knows more about that treatment, the cost? and if it works on black skin?Thanks to the person who can help me with that. :) :) :)
Bunmi

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi just came across this forum.

I have been studying the causes of the condition of Exogenous Ochronosis for many years, that the name given to the darkening of the skin caused by products that contain Hydroquinone. I am currently writing a scientific paper which I hope to get published. The condition is common amongst people of colour and is caused by chemicals within products which mimic chemicals within the process of melanin formation. Unfortunately it is very difficult to cure as the product form does not shed easily from the skin.

My findings are highly controversial as it implicates many products which are not hydroquinone based, so I am not surprised that darkening was experienced after the use of sun screen, as it fits in with my findings.

As my paper has not yet been published I cannot go into too much detail but for now I would say steer clear of products containing Hydroquinone, Arbutin, Kojic acid, bear-berry, mulberry extract, sunscreens ( Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide would appear to be safer),there are many more but these appear to show up time again on many anti-aging and natural skin care products and whilst they would have no ill effects on Caucasian skin they have a devastating effect on people of colour especially if the user is exposed to sunny conditions. Also other products which should be used with caution by all races are those that contain parabens, paraffin and mineral oils.

Your best bet it to aim for products containing natural oils, even vitamin E should be used with caution (I said it was controversial)

Regarding Acne, diet is paramount, and rightly one should be going to the toilet regularly to clear toxins from the body other wise they will try to escape via the skin in the form of spots, boils and acne. Dairy products are a prime offender and should be avoided as far as possible.

For people of colour the blemishes left by acne can be almost as distressing as the acne itself, but try to avoid skin lightening products as you will end up with a bigger problem such as hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation or Exogenous Ochronosis.

Natural remedies are much better. Try my remedy and let me know how you get on.
Mash a little fresh banana with honey rub onto affected areas only(using a cotton bud is best for this) continue for as long as cysts/ spots appear, do not tempted to pick or squeeze, works a treat though a bit messy.

Note Exogenous Ochronosis is a condition which affects mainly people of colour and I will explain why this is soon my next visit. good luck Smile
Promise

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - Bunmi

Thanks for your post. I haven't got OE but i did pretty bad rebound pigmentation from the HQ in Obagi. It's been three months of hell but It's getting better - slowly - over the last week or so. I'm using a serum with vit C, licorice, alpha arbutin, niacinamde and aloe Vera. I've got light brown/Olive skin.

Why is arbutin not okay? Also ... What are the best Natural oils and lighteners for olive skin?

Thanks for your help Smile

Promise
Bunmi

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Promise,
nice to hear from you. The effects of Hydroquinone is devastating and unfortunately permanent, so its great that you stopped before it proceeded to EO.

Before I answer your question it is important to understand that Exogenous Ochronosis is a condition that affects mainly people of colour, Caucasians rarely get it, this was my area of study trying to figure out why EO occured maily in people of colour and not Caucasians. It is because of the way Hydroquinone and similar products react with a specific step in the formation of melanin. (I will let you know when the paper is published if you are interested)

Many ingredients in cosmetic preparations combine in the same way as HQ and have the same results, skin lightens initially but then darkening of the area where the cream is applied occurs, depending on the length of time and the potency of the ingredient, the area becomes darker and takes on a mottled bumpy appearance in severe cases it becomes green in colour, and the skin breaks down, this is because HQ(especially) is toxic(kills) to cells not only melanin but those surrounding it.
Exposure to sunlight worsens the condition. Many products containing HQ now include sunscreen, though this is of limited use as some of the sunscreen ingredients only worsen the condition. Sunscreens containing Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide would be the best option if people of colour wish to use sunscreen.

Back to your question Arbutin is a derivative of Hydroquinone and it can actually convert to hydroquinone in the body, so you are in effect still exposing your self to HQ. Many products are on the market especially with the drive towards natural products, but you must remember that most of the product testing is carried out on Caucasians as this is their target market, there would be no concerns about skin darkening or EO as it does not happen in Caucasian skin. Most anti aging products are skin lighteners but should be used with caution with people of colour.

May I ask why you used HQ in the first place (For my studies)

Natural oils such as jojoba, almond or Borage oil are great oils to use. If you do have to use
skin lighteners only apply to the area you wish to lighten and once cleared discontinue. Rosehip seed oil contains Vitamin A and will help with softening dark marks.

Good luck.

Smile
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Bunmi wrote:
Hi just came across this forum.

I have been studying the causes of the condition of Exogenous Ochronosis for many years, that the name given to the darkening of the skin caused by products that contain Hydroquinone. I am currently writing a scientific paper which I hope to get published. The condition is common amongst people of colour and is caused by chemicals within products which mimic chemicals within the process of melanin formation. Unfortunately it is very difficult to cure as the product form does not shed easily from the skin.

My findings are highly controversial as it implicates many products which are not hydroquinone based, so I am not surprised that darkening was experienced after the use of sun screen, as it fits in with my findings.

As my paper has not yet been published I cannot go into too much detail but for now I would say steer clear of products containing Hydroquinone, Arbutin, Kojic acid, bear-berry, mulberry extract, sunscreens ( Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide would appear to be safer),there are many more but these appear to show up time again on many anti-aging and natural skin care products and whilst they would have no ill effects on Caucasian skin they have a devastating effect on people of colour especially if the user is exposed to sunny conditions. Also other products which should be used with caution by all races are those that contain parabens, paraffin and mineral oils.

Your best bet it to aim for products containing natural oils, even vitamin E should be used with caution (I said it was controversial)

Regarding Acne, diet is paramount, and rightly one should be going to the toilet regularly to clear toxins from the body other wise they will try to escape via the skin in the form of spots, boils and acne. Dairy products are a prime offender and should be avoided as far as possible.

For people of colour the blemishes left by acne can be almost as distressing as the acne itself, but try to avoid skin lightening products as you will end up with a bigger problem such as hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation or Exogenous Ochronosis.

Natural remedies are much better. Try my remedy and let me know how you get on.
Mash a little fresh banana with honey rub onto affected areas only(using a cotton bud is best for this) continue for as long as cysts/ spots appear, do not tempted to pick or squeeze, works a treat though a bit messy.

Note Exogenous Ochronosis is a condition which affects mainly people of colour and I will explain why this is soon my next visit. good luck Smile

Obviously you are not a medical doctor or student/intern. May I ask what your background is (professional, educational)? General information is fine (you don't have to be too specific).

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your information.

I actually have a history of melasma - when I was pregnant I got it and it cleared with Obagi (I was 25). Then, it returned when I was 37 - and again, I cleared it. This time using diet changes and supplements (as well as stress moderation). I did not use topicals - it cleared by itself.

My skin was totally clear and lovely for over 18 months - however, I am nearly 40 so I thought I would use Obagi for fine lines and wrinkling. Bad move.

I found obagi irritating (with the Retin A) and decided to stop it after 4 or 5 weeks. My melasma returned shortly after (i.e. over the following weeks). I think it was due to sunlight exposure (although I was using 50+ sunscreen it didn't work obvioulsy).

That was about 8 weeks ago. My skin was really really bad initially - and I was shocked. I've been using natural face masks and a lightening serum since. I am very relieved to see it improving. Albeit very slowly - it is lightening and the pigmentation is breaking up.

While I thank you for your advice - I think it is not very encouraging to others to write on here that HQ causes permanent damage. While I know that it is a very dangerous product that should not be used by darker skinned people -- the body is quite miraculous. Nothing is impossible and I believe with the right treatment skin can be restored. Even the woman who started this post had a bad case of EO and she managed to cure her condition - bless her for putting her story on the net for others to benefit from and give hope.

Regards

Promise
Bunmi

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi Promise,

I am so sorry that you found my statement about HQ causing permanent damage discouraging, what I meant is that if a person using HQ get Exogenous Ochronosis it is a permanent condition which is difficult to treat.

There is a difference between skin darkening and Exogenous Ochronosis, but skin darkening as a result of using HQ can lead to EO. A skin biopsy is the only way to truly find out if someone has EO, but often one can tell just by looking. Butterfly markings around the eyes is often an early sign.

It is just important for people to understand the possible damage that HQ can do, that is why I chose to study it.

To give you a little back ground, at the age of about 8 I remember meeting a friend of my mother's although most of her body was quite fair,
She had dark black patches on her cheeks fore head and chin. her chest area was green black and sore looking, as was the back of her neck.

I was highly disturbed when my mother told me that it was because she was bleaching, I did not understand but she showed me this cream in a pink tube that she used to make her self lighter. I read the ingredients and vowed never to use anything that contained such things.
So began my journey as a Scientist and to understand from a biochemical point why EO happens.

So once again sorry I would never want to discourage anyone . Sad
Promise

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Apology accepted. Out of curiosity... Beej who started this thread managed to cure his condition. How would you explain that?

Also - Lacey 23 asked you a question. Are you a medical Doctor or an intern? or are you a medical researcher? It would be good to know more details about your scientific study.

Thanks!

Promise
Bunmi

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Promise,

I am a Research and development Chemist from the UK.

I realise that the person who posted the original thread improved his condition, but as I said there are various stages of EO, and as he said he has not gone back to his original colour.

I understand peoples need to treat things like hyperpigmentation and that's why it is important for us to understand why EO happens so that we can then develop products that will take away dark marks and blemishes without causing EO.

Glad your condition is clearing up.
Promise

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bumni,

Thanks for that explanation. Beej did ameliorate some of the damage and seems happy with the results. You are right though - his skin was not the colour it previously was. It is a shame he has not come back to report on any further progress.

Another question... do you think that lasers is an acceptable treatment for melasma? Apparently there are some new lasers (Revlite Q-Switched Nd:YAG) that are supposed to be very effective at certain settings. Perhaps EO could be treated with this?

Just a suggestion.

Promise
debrown

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I find this forum from online search and I am so glad that I did. I have been using HQ 4% for only 3 or so weeks, as per my dermatologist instructions. I only have used it at night along with Retin-A 0.05%. It started to work find and then one day this week, I woke up and find darkened spots where HG was applied. I am a very fair skinned Asian woman with some Caucasian background. I thought I would be safe in using HQ since I will be using it for a very short period of time. It looks more like I have a deep tan and not the coloring described for EO. Can you someone help me answer if I can get rid of it? Someone mentioned about rebound coloring from using HQ, can someone explain about that?
Promise

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:27 am      Reply with quote
debrown wrote:
Hi I find this forum from online search and I am so glad that I did. I have been using HQ 4% for only 3 or so weeks, as per my dermatologist instructions. I only have used it at night along with Retin-A 0.05%. It started to work find and then one day this week, I woke up and find darkened spots where HG was applied. I am a very fair skinned Asian woman with some Caucasian background. I thought I would be safe in using HQ since I will be using it for a very short period of time. It looks more like I have a deep tan and not the coloring described for EO. Can you someone help me answer if I can get rid of it? Someone mentioned about rebound coloring from using HQ, can someone explain about that?

Hello --- I would not use HQ again for this reason. You never know how your skin will react. I got terrible rebound pigmentation from HQ but it does go away if you are gentle with your skin.
debrown

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Promise wrote:

Hello --- I would not use HQ again for this reason. You never know how your skin will react. I got terrible rebound pigmentation from HQ but it does go away if you are gentle with your skin.

Hi Promise,

Thanks for answering my post. Can you tell me how you got rid of your rebound hyperpigmentation and how long it took you? What do I need to avoid using other than HQ? Did you use Retin-A too? I have researched online and Retin-A was one method recommended by Dermatologists to help get rid of EO. Also, after reading the thread, a post from Bunmi mentioned about avoiding Arbutin. I currently have a skin cream with all natural ingredients and one of which is "Alpha-Arbutin ". Do you have experience in using that ingredient? Thanks so much for answering and helping me feel better. I thought I did permanent damage to my skin from using HQ.
leogirl08

Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I am using tumeric and yogurt to help cure my ochronosis.... I also started Medlite laser... the dark spot went from an aggressive black to light grey...Not sure if that means it is curing. I guess beej can answer that since she has gone through the stages of this? I'll let you all know if the laser if of any help...and then you guys can go try it out. Anyone else use anything else to lighten the spots and has it worked better?
lowkey_p

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
A dermatologist prescribed me hydroquinone to use for a while because I had a dark scar. Then I used hydroquinone with seranne wrap, on the right part of my forehead and my lower cheek. One day my black scar turned red, I was then showering then my skin peeled but my scar after a few days turned black blue. I was thinking about to skin and scar camouflaging, but I don't think para medical tattooists can find a pigment that is exactly my color and type of skin. I smoked prior to typing this composition and I feel like I need to put on make up with a HIGH SPF. I was using hydroquinone and researching and now the disadvantages of the cream has given me permanent pigment damage. I should have asked my mom what to do and I didn't go to her, because I haven't talked to her in years. I hate the doctor that prescribed HYdroquinone to me. He prescribed it to me in away that I should have questioned him, but I researched it and I was doing research as I was using it and it darkened my scar in such a bad way. I got to talk to my mom now to see what I should do.
beej
5% products discount

Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Guys i will keep this somewhat brief (as my tale has been exhaustively explained earlier!)My skin - but for a couple of steroid rebounds (eye lid darkening that faded in about 6 -8 weeks)has been at 95% + for the last 4 years. 5% damage is NOTHING that anyone would easily notice - even under scrutiny (but strong ultra violet would show 'elements'). Amongst all things used, Apple cider vinegar dabbed on the EO was the most effective early cure catalyst of all!

I would NOT recommend going down the steroid cream routes - and esp. in bad cases!!

Funnily enough, at around 2012, I had an muscle injury while jogging and a boxing-related friend hooked me up with a guy (in the national UK boxing squad) who supplies a great natural gel for arthrities, etc. The gel sorted out a month old muscle/bone issue in about 3 days! The ENTIRELY natural construct of this gel lead me to place a small amount on my face - just to see what would happen. That action topped things off nicely and lead to a faster improvement than even the ACV (and got me to near perfect around 2 months later!

I am not promoting anything and can only report my findings as I see it. Anyone can contact me and I'll give you the guy's email address and you can do as much research with him as you like. I spent a total of £16 btw and still have the gel for sports use! Alternatively, spend £1.50 on some properly organic ACV and see the improvements that stopped a terrible blight on my life.

Good luck and please...KEEP it natural all!! x
beej
5% products discount

Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
99.9% of doctors / dermatologists would tell you E/O is permanent. That is because they've never had it, haven't researched proper cures and never see enough people with it!

Well, it can be cured! And i believe without a terrible catalogue of bad fate and errors (HQ mixed with Mercury / steroid creams / tetracycline overdoses)on my side compounding things by YEARS...! I could have sorted my issue (with ACV alone!) in around 3 -6 months max.

Really hope this helps some of you...
ghstars

Mon May 25, 2015 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
HI, i'm experiencing the same right now. Did the ACV continue to work? Did you initially have negative effects? How long did it take? thanks
smcato

Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
beej wrote:
99.9% of doctors / dermatologists would tell you E/O is permanent. That is because they've never had it, haven't researched proper cures and never see enough people with it!

Well, it can be cured! And i believe without a terrible catalogue of bad fate and errors (HQ mixed with Mercury / steroid creams / tetracycline overdoses)on my side compounding things by YEARS...! I could have sorted my issue (with ACV alone!) in around 3 -6 months max.

Really hope this helps some of you...

Hi: I am in the U.S., can you give me the name of the cream? Also, how often did you use the acv. can you possibly list all the things you did that were effective?

Thanks
DanyDeniel

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:51 am      Reply with quote
I am 100% sure I have Exogenous Ochronosis on my face from the use of hydroquonine. All of the research that I have found says that it's very difficult to treat, but that laser surgery has shown some significant improvements in treating it. Currently I am treating it with lemon juice, meladerm (because it has no hydroquonine in it) and flaxeed oil. I know getting the chemical burn to completely fade will take time, but currently my only concern is whether or not I am making any progress. I know it is not getting any worse. The hyperpigmentation was very severe and I have had this mark on my face for over 7 months now. I have for the first time in a long time been able to avoid the sun for two weeks straight, so the slight improvements I think I may be seeing have to do with my overall paler complexion. I will not have any health insurance for the next 6-7 weeks, so before I set out to get laser surgery, I am hoping get this hyperpigmentation to fade, or peel as much as possible if possible with whatever will treat it best.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |