Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skincare for different ethnicities
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MiaT
5% products discount

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I just have to ask this question to settle a discussion with a friend. She says that black skin is different to white skin and needs different skincare. She said black skin is generally oilier and thicker. Is this true? If so does Asian and other cultures need different skincare? I, on the other hand think that all skin is the same. If this is true any recommendations for products her for Afro-Carribean skincare?

Thanks for you help!!
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think it's true that different skin colours require different skin care - every individual has different skincare needs. However, let me give you an example, for those of East Asian descent, we tend to have a yellowish skintone - of course some people have darker while other people have lighter skintones. Anyways, Chinese and Japanese people tend to have lighter skintones and due to the amount of UV rays in those countries they are very susceptible to sun spots/hyperpigmentation. Thus a lot of skincare in those countries target and advertise whitening products. They're very popular because those with yellower skintones wish to be whiter while those with paler skin wishes to get rid of all pigmentation/tans. So some people might have this misconception that different ethnicities have different skincare needs - but to me all skincare is based on the individual.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I think your friend's right.

Perricone mentions differences in his book.

I particularly remember him saying that a lot of Afro-carribeans suffer more from oiliness, impacted pores and acne. Maybe their skin is also thicker and younger as they get older than European skin because it doesn't suffer from sun damage to the same extent.

And then the differences in pigmentation and the way we heal and scar mean when you get into serious treatments like microdermabrasion and laser they are more successful for lighter than darker skin tones.

I'm not totally au fait with all the differences, but there are some yes.
tisa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:47 am      Reply with quote
I am "afro caribbean" and don't totally agree with your friend or Dr. P for that matter.

With darker skin scarring is a real issue - i.e. hyperpigmentation after spots - even when left untouched/picked. Uneven skin color tone, dermatitis + sensitivity can also be a problem. But these conditions can be an issue for any skin color.

But conditions like rosacea occur in darker skin-and this is not something generally thought of as an issue for people of color.

All the women in my family as well as the majority of my social circle have dry skin - and I am 1 of 3 that I know that has had a problem with oil/breakouts.

I think alot of assumptions are made because people with acne/oil issues tend to seek a derm out perhaps more often than the ones with dry skin - at least this holds true for the people I know.

I think it is a matter of individuals within a group that can or can't tolerate certain treatments. Some people I know who have dark mahogany brow skintones have had success with laser treatments and those with lighter golden skin have had really adverse reactions. Confused

For every rule there are exceptions. Very Happy
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:53 am      Reply with quote
i too, think your friend is correct. certain ethnicites/races are more prone to certain problems than others, so there probably is a difference in the biology of the skin. i find that most asians have oilier skin.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |